/rlg/ - Roguelike general

/dcssg/v2 edition (five more days edition)

Previous Thread: >FAQ
pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34

>What to Play
pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/CTJ0hpLe

>News
Crawl tourney has begun
crawl.develz.org/wordpress/trunk-updates-and-0-21-tournament-release-info

newnew /rlg/ Team name: Concert at the Vestibule Featuring Guest Soloist Geryon on Horn
Post your name in the thread to be added
add this line to the top of your RC file if you want to join:
#TEAMCAPTAIN TittyCrusher

IVAN 0.51 released
github.com/Attnam/ivan/releases/tag/v051

New Sil fork out.
github.com/sil-quirk/sil-q/releases

ADOM r81 released for free, get it here (!!!includes star sign selection!!!)
adom.de/home/downloads.html

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

>Roguelike Servers:
roguenex.us/ (CDDA, angband, PCB)
angband.live/ (Angband and variants, including PCB)
hardfought.org/ (Nethack and variants, including slex)

Other urls found in this thread:

ultraviolent4.com/Guide.html
github.com/tsadok/nhfourk/releases/tag/v4.3.0.4
github.com/FredrIQ/fiqhack/releases/tag/4.3.0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for YAY WE SLEX PASTA NOW

I'm sorry but can't you read?

But high heels are so lovely and tender and soft and cuddly and fleecy and make for great additions to any roguelike game's bestiary!

dykes are more of a netherlands kind of geographic feature
our gay shoefetish roguelikedev is from germany

>1 Swordmaster
>2 Knight
>3 Hunter
>4 Pirate
>5 Adventurer
>6 Force User
>7 Bard
>8 Hero
>9 Force Knight
>0 Ninja
>trips off by one Tourist

Don't mind me, just reposting this for later use while playing OWH.

POST YA WINS

I did post it, I'll have another one soon

the last win i posted was an adom mindcrafter and i have barely played rogue likes since then
help

Will Nethack Fourk follow up on its promise to add achievement unlockables? Plans include to make it so that if you want to play the archeologist role, you need to ascend a different role first. At the start, only Barbarian and Wizard are playable, and the only race you can pick is human. Everything else has to be unlocked.

>V:4 Xtahua is camping the stairs
>only rF+ so far is a Plate Mail of rF+ and a ring of fire in a shop for 350$
>limp demonspawn wrists could never hoist a set of full plate over the body

Paying for a fucking ring of fire hurts, but not as much as 3d40, I guess.

you better be fucking grateful that a ring of fire spawned in your game, buddy, it's much better than having to run into xtahua//azrael pack/margery/fire giant, whip out your staff of fire just so you can run away upstairs safely, then put on your -1 boots "Startling Darkness" {*confuse, rF+ rC - -, sInv} just so you can fight them

Fair enough, my friend.

"There are no niggers in my roguelikes, no m'am" says the Confederate soldier to Anne Frank as they march through the valley.

Suddenly - a Yankee ambush! The Union soldiers fire off a round of bullets.

Anne Frank casts Denial and blocks the attack, "Heheh, thanks" her Confederate comrade sheepishly says to her. He fires at the Union troops.

Pew pew pew pew.

Anne and her comrade survive and march on, their friendship growing as they fight off the Northern aggressors and seek out the Amulet of Dixie that will transport Anne back to the time she came from.

>there still isn't a Confederate Anne Frank roguelike
>tfw

think about this literally every day

Doesn't Blackguard imply that it used to be a paladin? Who the fuck ever heard of a mindflayer paladin?

He was too weak in dnethack, I'm wondering whether the elder priest is strong enough now? In addition to the stuff he can do in dnethack, he has bisection, decapitation, ragnarok and data delete attacks now. The screenshot illustrates one of the possible data delete effects: draining the player back to level 1 instantly. Oh, and the elder priest has 93% chance to be unaffected by ranged weapons and intrinsic reflection, magic resistance and wallwalking, and if you still somehow manage to deal damage to him he becomes covetous and thus capable of warping next to you.

Someone on reddit made a really well made tutorial about dcss, I'll paste it here

>reddit

>resetted

>you will never play as Ann Frank travelling back in time to the Confederacy to defeat the Union and obtain the amulet of Dixie, taking it back to Hitler's Germany to defeat the Soviet Union in turn making Hitler favor your family and sparing them from the Shoah (which didn't actually happen but makes for a good game)
These feels are inhumane.

>needing a tutorial for FUCKING DCSS

excuse me

it was me, say thankyou

ded genre, ded thred

lemonizer, pls rename team to "the dungeon sluts"

thanks in advance

Rolling for today.

That got pretty dangerous at the end, still managed to defeat the demon lord in the end, good thing I found that key of seals to get that holy axe. The pirate is really strong, the free lockpicking and swimming perks are really useful, although I felt kind of weak by the end, but that was probably my fault. I'm not so sure about the Grueling Campaign difficulty, enemies getting double speed randomly can be really annoying.

I think I'll try again next time with a knight and in maniac mode, hopefully I'll manage to get a bunch of allies.

Jesus Christ, 107 km and I've already had to burn all my awakenings.

Does force knight really suck that much

A lot of it was just unlucky timing, had to burn one to avoid the Demon Lord plus some dogs in the mountains, had to burn two against the first miniboss(bats), had to burn another two because a bandit squad showed up about three turns right after that.

That said, their stat growth can be pretty shit.

Man, I sure wish I had a shield or something so I didn't have to get tickled to death. A better initial placement would have helped during the miniboss spawn too.

Going into detail on Force Knight, they're basically a melee class with a couple additional skills that all rely on energy, and have limited daily uses to boot.

As far as I can tell though, their stat growth isn't centered on anything in particular, and seems to just be all over the place.

It's difficult to melee things to death if you don't get any points into STR, and your default INT growth isn't great so learning decent force skills from NPCs can be difficult. You get the ability to learn ONE force skill on your own, kind of like how Force Users do, but you'll likely spend that one skill on Paralyze if you can.

So basically there's no real reason to use them unless you want a challenge.

want to do try my hand at another hard combo next so to have a back-to-backer

They'd probably be decent if you took like 5 STR for your starting perk.

why are we here
just to suffer?

Permadeath is reality. Suffering is law.

I need it.

Today I learned Rupert is a shapeshifter.

>temperature

Nani

Lava Orc mechanic, it's pretty fun, albeit overpowered. You should try them.

in 0.13, they were also slow at low temperature, and got faster as they heated up.

First it would be nice to either get:

1. An executable, or

2. Correct instructions on how to compile the game.

Until one of those is done, Fourk is nothing more than an interesting-looking changelog.

ultraviolent4.com/Guide.html

Crawl players need to be explicitly told to go into hallways to fight enemies 1v1, to wait when an enemy is 2 squares away to get a free attack, and to rest after battles. Bear in mind that they still consider DCSS to be a patrician game on the same level as chess.

Anyone here play Dungeons of the Endless or is that not roguelike enough for you?

>Dungeon of the Endless is a Rogue-Like Dungeon-Defense game
>Rogue-Like Dungeon-Defense game
>Rogue-Like
>Dungeon-Defense
huh

and stay out

I really like the Endless universe, I'm more a fan of the Endless Space games than Dungeons, but Dungeons is solid for what it is.
Sort of maybe not really a roguelike though, I guess? There's nothing quite like it.

>One lab end has 45 mininukes and book that gives atomic battery recipe (use plutonium cells instead of batteries)
>The other has endgame recoilless laser rifle capable of sniping monsters 30 tiles away that uses 40 UPS per shot and can shoot perfectly five times in a single turn on automatic
>each mininuke can be disassembled for 6 plut cells
>back of the napkin math tells me I have around 3500 shots of the most deadly weapon in the game

Caves of qud is alright, but I wish movement was more convenient.

How often do you guys save scum?

>Last Coolthulhu build of Cataclysm was in Oct 2017
>Mainline doesn't come with the no-CBM-bullshit mod
Can I use the mod from the Bright Nights fork?

Doesn't work, it only work in BN because it enables a code change.
Honestly painkillers-regulated installation is not too bad. Just install everything in bulk.

Also, being super happy doesn't give +stats & speed boosts anymore?

It never did?

It's just a hassle. And really bad in some exotic conditions like lab starts, where you might be drowning in CBMs but not have any painkillers.

He'll probably make another one once 0.D comes out

So, by the end of the year, early 2019.

Sometimes.

>It never did?
That's not true though. It always did. This version's barely six months old.
Just make some poppy painkillers whenever you get out. It's not like CBMs will help you get out, you just need to make an electrohack.

anne frank died of typhus

anne frank is a fictional character, she can die of whatever she wants

wish she died of too much dick, my dick

It is not a roguelike at all, but a great game nonetheless

I only pkay hacklikes, is there any hope for me?

Two jabberwocks down, first part of the altar completed.
These will be used to cover the eyeholes of the zombie megabear skull, which will be the main bulk of the altar (megabears are several stories high)

Also, gorgeous cribs.

And there she is.
Thankfully I marked her area on the map before.

This one is gonna be a bitch to carry home.

And that's two.
These were the closest ones, I still have to find any of the endgame areas. I did find a strange grove with endgame enemies from the arcana mod which should give me some good arcana items though.
Considering the amount of skill it takes to hallow the altar, I'll need to explore all of the areas to get access to the rarest book.

>thus

I am a goddamn idiot, I could have saved Victor if I used awakening and I would have survived that last fight if I had my good items equipped and I used awakening.

After 500-600km the focus stops being about becoming strong enough to defeat the demon lord and changes to trying to survive until the demon lord shows up again. I always feel so weak at that point too, most enemies are doing more damage than the demon lord and mini bosses are incredibly strong, most of the time it's not worth fighting anything, it's better to just run away.

I must be doing something wrong.

there was a double release of fourk and fiqhack a month ago
github.com/tsadok/nhfourk/releases/tag/v4.3.0.4
github.com/FredrIQ/fiqhack/releases/tag/4.3.0

>prison start
>start in a small room with stairs instead of the mess hall, can't get anywhere
>spam wait
>zombie brute finally makes its way to me
>with like thirty friends
>NPC takes care of most of the first wave, I help mop up
>NPC dies
>doors open now
>very hungry and thirsty at this point, make my way to the pantry
>a zombie cop drops a flashlight, fabricate lockpicks out of scrap metal
>pretty hurt, arms almost broken, can't fight effectively due to pain
>break into one of the cells, sleep a few hours
>do another sweep of the dead zombies, picking up anything useful
>craft 20 more lockpicks, I'm going through these fast
>sneak upstairs, past the robots
>you_have_escaped.png

Second try. The prison is complete bullshit, but still fun sometimes.
Outside, I found a bicycle. There's also a river and a lava pool fairly close by. I got pretty lucky with mapgen. Should I try to survive here, or make my way to civilization?

find a toxic waste dump and roll around in the goo

post results

>Start as Monk
>try my luck at a faded altar
>Jivya
>in D:3

And at that moment i already knew i was dead

Murdercat has acquired a rune

Also, question: I'm thinking of going to Elf next, in hopes of finding a source of rPois for Spider. Is this stupid [y/n]?

As long as you don't go in Elf:2

Really? I always thought Elf:2 was about the same as Elf:1. Elf:3 is where the crazy shit starts appearing

the wiki is back up!

Elf:2 has dancing weapons that can be pretty dangerous for low AC characters,Elf:3 is a no-go zone for characters with AC lower than 10/no magic defenses.

I always went to elf 2 and thought without going into the blade halls I would be fine. But you are right sometimes 2-4 weapons guard it from the outside.
Was lucky all the time I guess

No.

ok

>most enemies are doing more damage than the demon lord and mini bosses are incredibly strong, most of the time it's not worth fighting anything, it's better to just run away.

I feel like that's exactly what's happening everytime.

here i go

I forgot the dev took inspiration from SMT

Arcane eye doesn't reveal enemies that are stealthed from the beginning? I just got gangraped in a tunnel despite precasting it

I understand that monster have to keep getting stronger but it just seems too sudden, anything below 600km is fine, nothing too hard to deal with aside from minibosses, but after that there's a big difficulty spike, and after 800km you're just avoiding everything. When regular enemies can take away a quarter of your health it's just not worth it, any fight could be your last, and then you got minibosses that take half your health in one turn, the ones with double speed are the worst.

I don't get how people manage to survive after 1000km in grueling campaign difficulty or even higher, are they just using good items they stored in the dimensional vault? Are they just playing in a dimension with many hood items and allies? Are they just savescumming? Are they using a perk combination that's broken? I've heard that in the original version Hero with 5 pro-wrestler perks was broken but it was nerfed in plus. Or are they just that good and I'm just a scrub?

>cleared all of elf except blades and the final vault
>still no rPois
What do?
Options:
1. attempt spider without rPois
2. Elf:3 vault
3. skip spider for now and try V instead

rPois isn't really necessary for spider if you can lure spiders away 1 by 1, since you should be able to do since you have good stealth and you are a melee character. Heck, you already have felid sInv for ghost moths. I think spider is a heck of a lot easier than vaults. I vote spider. Just be very careful

spider without rpois is less dangerous than vaults and elf 1-2, let alone elf 3

All games make it a pain in the butt, and I'd much rather just wizmode or say the game is gay/lame/impossible/jewish.

>

Spider it is, then. And elf wasn't all that bad. Trog's murderbros just flatten those puny elves, and you can summon them all day long because Trog just loves all those spellcasters and books

normally it's a bad idea because you can easily get one-shot, it's a waste of lives