/mhg/ - Monster Hunter General

>Monster Hunter: World
-MH:World is coming out for PS4 and Xbox One Jan 26, 2018, with a fall 2018 PC release.
↳Third PS4 beta with a bonus Nergigante quest announced for 19th-22nd of January, no PS+ required.
↳Elder Dragons Trailer 1/5: youtube.com/watch?v=lmwxyM3sPwc
↳Deviljho Trailer 1/5: youtube.com/watch?v=kahQKbMiJ5U
↳Full 2018 Winter Event Livestream: youtube.com/watch?v=A1YcjzUomLs
↳Weapons: youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_ALSpmx2A8sAdeuYKMnrCt0xCpwPyPbC
↳Moveset Changes: pastebin.com/Pc4NsdxP

>I have a question!
pastebin.com/7Aa6HxUh
Includes links to the FAQ, weapon guides, charm info, and more.

kiranico.com/
Database with weapon trees, item locations, drop rates, etc.

sites.google.com/site/pingsdex
Same thing, in application form.

>Where does Veeky Forums play?
Create or find a Gathering Hall
Password: rage (7243 for 3DS)
XX, ターグット: Gathering フィールド採集
Gen, Objective: Gathering
4U, Target: Fishing

Tags: MHWorld, MHXX, MHGen, MH4U, MH3U, Stories, MonHun, /mhg/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FuxxrCmLi58
imgur.com/a/shnRE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for FUCK YOU FOR TRYING TO TAKE MY FIRST YOU BITCH

↳Full 2018 Winter Event Livestream: youtube.com/watch?v=FuxxrCmLi58

im a big dum dum and didn't update the OP

CHOOSE

>You're a silly willy
Call me that one more time and i'm ending it all...

Any meaningful info in there for someone that doesn't know moonrunes?

5th for still no comfier theme than Pokke's

Create games with a difficult endgame at least.

listen to me you fetuses... World is Freedom 3...

What's so wrong about some weapons killing monsters slowly and others doing it fast?

If every weapon could kill monsters quickly, what reason would there be to pick a GS or HBG?

What's the best weapon in the beta?

>the determining factor for which weapon I use is killtimes, nothing else.

Idiots don't understand that not every weapon needs to be useful for time attacks. Just have a handful of designated speedrun weapons and let the rest excel in other ways that casual players will appreciate.

Other players can't join your story quest until you've encountered the monster and sat through the introduction cutscene
lots of MH merch, controllers and keyboards and headsets
a third and final beta running from the 18th to the 21st, includes a bonus Nergigante quest
the Elder Dragon trailer revealed Dodogama, Teo, Kushy, and a new unnamed Elder in the Rotten Vale
Jho is Spring DLC

that's about it

Freedom 3 was released over 6 years ago.

I WILL BE THE KING OF ARM WRESTING!

I AM THE KING OF MONSTER HUNTER

Man I hope the Hermitaur is in World.

Not all weapons need to be strong. And there's nothing wrong with some weapons being overpowered either. There, I said it.
Weak weapons have their fans. Others enjoy the feeling of being totally OP.
MH offers you so many ways to get exactly the experience you want that you'd have to be a complete autist to start obsessing over min/maxing kill times (which have NEVER, EVER mattered), especially if you play the game as is intended (using items, in multiplayer with friends).

>Hermitaur
No, go away

How do deviljhos mate?

>Other players can't join your story quest until you've encountered the monster and sat through the introduction cutscene

This shit is stupid.

They matter to me and there is no reason we cannot both be catered to.
Unless you're some fag who only plays low tier weapons for e-peen.

I think you’re confusing “strong” with “viable.”

>Hermitaur
Yes, stay here

I'm honestly over the balance arguments. I just want the game in my hands so I can play and have fun. I've shed the TA mindset that 4U and XX have trained me into. I'll use whatever weapon I want, I don't care anymore.

WHERE"S MY DRAGONATOR?!

Inside my pants

>And what's the problem with this? It's not a competitive game.
It is you fucking nimrod. The arena has leaderboards and even non-arena quests give you a time post-hunt for the express purpose of comparing times in time trials. Some games in the series even have an active (non-time-trial) PvP mode. The game absolutely is competitive, which is why there's a TA scene to begin with. And even if it weren't competitive, it is not okay to make someone a burden to any team they're on no matter what the hunt is if they choose to play a certain weapon. On the other hand in any formal competition in a competitive game, including MH, there are tiers and rules enforced by the community participating in the competition that make the base game's balance irrelevant- For instance only using one fighter/weapon, which, what do you know, is one of the rules of MH TA (runs are only compared to the same weapon type). It is not the competitive nature of MH that IS, undeniably, a part of the game, that makes weapon balance important, it is the casual/cooperative aspect of the game. Balance is MORE important because the game is heavily coop oriented, not less. Your backward-ass logic just does not stand up to scrutiny.

>Shells are great in scenarios where you can't hit weak spots
Which don't exist. The ONLY times shells are ever good are against one monster (gravios) in low rank (no longer the case in high and G rank though) to break its belly and legs so you don't bounce on them, and in demos where you get an early low rank gunlance with mid high rank shells.

MH, by design, favors weapons that can just spam one really strong move over and over on a specific weak spot. Nothing else will ever be able to compete with that.

Sure, you could make every weapon good, but doing so would require a ton of homogenization. I'd rather have each weapon be unique in its playstyle, even if it means some will be far better suited to the game's challenges than others. Part of the game is learning about what works and what doesn't anyway. Bad weapons are still useful to teach players about what not to do, or to provide players who really want to make weaker, but unique and fun tools work, with something to do.

Y'all should read some articles on actual game design and how to cater to different demographics.
You've got the top tier fast kill time weapons for the competitive folks, the oddball weaker weapons for the aforementioned people who want to prove they can make them work, etc

Cutest angry sounds.

>If shells were competitive with stabs with endgame level stats and a skilled player that can regularly hit weak spots, what would be the point of having stabs?
Okay, so you've never used GL. I'd say that's understandable but I know if I give you an inch you'll take a mile, so instead I'm going to say you need to shut the fuck up about things you clearly know nothing about. Shells can be comboed with thrusts and work off an ammo clip, meaning you need to reload to continue shelling. You also CAN'T spam uncharged shells starting in third gen. Thus thrusts would be used to link shells and vice versa in a sawing motion.

>Not having to use shells that drain your sharpness hard is the reward for being good at using the weapon.
Are you fucking retarded? Rhetorical question, by the way. Everyone but you knows the answer is yes. Shelling is the point of using GL in the first place and there are many ways it could be fixed, not just in monster roster but mechanically as well. Otherwise it's literally a lance except shittier in every way- The more universally useful high thrust is slower and weaker instead of vice versa, it can only combo two forward thrusts, its forward advance is weaker and less safe, it can only dodge once instead of three times and can't extend a backstep, it has no charge, its poised attack does not add poise to subsequent attacks and can only combo into its weaker upward thrust, its poised attack only hits a narrow area in front of the weapon and things above the weapon which lance's bread and butter can hit anyway, it has no counter, it has no safe way to move forward or fast way to move at all (at best it has about the mobility of a hammer IF you have evade extender) and its thrusts are slower than Lance's than they are stronger, meaning it does less pure DPS if all other factors are the same AND has fewer openings in which to apply dps to boot. Without shelling there is no reason for GL to even exist.

Did /mhg/ always have this much texts wall? Am i in the right general?

They vibrate near each other until an egg materializes

>Without shelling there is no reason for GL to even exist.
It's fun and has a different moveset from the Lance.
That's literally all the reason it needs. MH is not a competitive game. Stop being an autist.

>monster hunter is a competitive game
nope
/discussion

>Am I in the right general?
No you've entered /mhg/ - /v/ raid general
come back at another time

>MH, by design, favors
Wrong, some monsters by design favour that. There's some great monsters that shit on that kind of moveset, which is proof MH doesn't have to favour it inherently, but only like four of them in an overall roster of like a hundred. The problem is that so many animations and behaviours are reused and all favour that kind of thing. Which all comes back to the series' main issue, which is that Capcon is an atrocious publisher who enforces strict, extremely short dev cycles for games that probably need a team about twice as large with twice the time. This isn't just a problem with MH either. It's affected everything Capcon has produced for a long time now, which is a shame because they own a lot of would-be brilliant franchises.

imgur.com/a/shnRE

not everyone just wants to spam cute images and act like toddlers, let them have their discourse. it's not really stopping you from posting anime reaction images now is it? maybe you could even read a few lines, perhaps it's interesting? I know reading is hard, especially on your daddy's phone, but give it a go sometime.

>posts a link to an image
>on an image board
full retard there

so i was super manic last night watching MHW info on youtube and I came up with a design for the most awesome spinoff MH i could ever hope to conceive
too bad im a pussy and would never march into capcoms lair

>image
>album
>retard calling others retard

>It's fun and has a different moveset from the Lance.
It doesn't, though. Its moveset is almost identical, just inferior (fewer attacks to a combo, the shittier attacks hitboxwise are the stronger ones, the two attacks that are actually different are just vertical versions of horizontal lance attacks and come out slower).

It is and you're delusional if you think otherwise. You can play it casually, just like you can play, say, counterstrike, pokémon or dark souls casually, but it is a competitive game at its core just like those are.

>did /mhg/ always have this much text walls
yes, back in 4U when autists flong dicks around about speedrunning. I'll crack the code for you autistic anime poster

>speedrunning attracts autism
>monster hunter has speedrunners

>43% of Reddit will main CB
Yup, it's Reddit's weapon alright.

>I can't compile an album comprised of 4 (F O U R) images into a single picture

It wasn’t, but the MH dev team is trying their hardest to make it one. Arena quests, TA challenges, etc, etc.

>maybe you could even read a few lines, perhaps it's interesting?
nope, it's just the same couple of people shouting the same 3 or 4 things back and forth at each other like enraged children

>mh should be balanced
>no it shouldn't be
>mh isn't a competitive game
>yes it is

insert as many argument-winning buzzwords as you deem fit and you've summarized half of the last thread and this whole one.

MH includes joke weapons specifically for the purposes of gimping yourself. Nothing about MH's design choices or any developer intent has ever indicated that they purposefully want some weapons to be far stronger than all the others. They're simply incompetent when it comes to balancing.

why are you giving attentionwhores attention even more so when you see them bitching about not getting any attention? just ignore the fag.

G O A L P O S T S

>It is

nah those are just for fun.
getting A rank is the goal.
getting top time is just finding the specific cheese.

>perhaps it's interesting
lol

now this is an interesting post

>”those are just for fun”
>when literally all of Japan, and now the world will be competing for top times

>”getting A rank is the goal”
Says who? You’re a fucking retard if you don’t think Capcom isn’t trying to push a competitive scene on MH.

>it is the year Current Year and reddit still believes the meme that LS, a weapon with more conservative and/or fewer wide-range hitboxes plus in three cases less frequent wide-range attacks than IG, SA, CB and HH, nothing that can launch players like GS, SnS, hammer, HH, Lance, GL, SA, CB and LBG/HBG, and actually does trip unlike DB which can hit fast enough to completely staggerlock another player and only staggers meaning that other player doesn't get iframes, is the worst weapon to play with
Even worse than the CB wank and hating underwater because it's a meme.

Dos literally had a PvP mode that wasn't even time trial based, and was the first MH that wasn't testing the market for whether the concept of a hunting ARPG would work on various platforms, making it the true foundation of the rest of the series. Get off it, pseudo-grandpa.

I hate underwater because I played the game.

Otherwise you are right.

they literally aren't

>hating LS
Hah, suck my dick Reddit

I'm afraid MHW is going to be really good and then they focus on it way too much to the point where mirrors the downfall of Dota 2.
>cosmetics and ezmode nerfs

On 3DS without CPP, or using SnS, right? I understand that, it's the ubiquitous hatred throughout an entire community that smacks of hive mentality rather than people independently coming to the same conclusion. Underwater is fine with a c-stick and if you aren't playing one of the tiny handful of weapons that got seriously fucked by underwater movesets being different.

The only thing about TA and optimal play, regardless of all this debate is that you don't get anything for being the best. Well, I guess you could eventually be a streamer or something, but being "the best monster hunter in the world" really wouldn't impress most players. Sure they may acknowledge your skills while watching your runs for pointers, or give you praise on youtube delivering you that little ego hit you've been working so hard for, but most regular players will just think you are legitimately autistic. It's a shallow victory really, MH isn't a paying e-sport as far as I know.

>I'm afraid MHW is going to be really good
Well, no need to worry about that.

And how exactly would buffing underpowered weapons, or nerfing overpowered weapons make the game worse? It's not like MH has some kind of meta where nerfing one thing influences the power of another. Weapons aren't directly fighting one another, so literally all you have to do is
>look at thing when used by good player
>is thing performing above or below expected level?
>yes
>adjust

It's competitive just like smash bros is, let the autists have their "competitive game".

Yes they are

>regardless of all this debate is that you don't get anything for being the best
MH has entire tournament circuits with local qualifiers and national finals, they have prizes, and World's in game competitions will have awards for top scoring players.

They literally called it esports on stage.

dota 2 is a failure because valve didn't change anything and just milked nostalgia off people still playing wc3 instead of actually improving the game

because static parameters are what makes anything consistent and if you start adjusting things like weapon damage or monster HP it creates a culture that sucks the joy out of everything only to attract the worst kind of people to ever exist in online gaming history.

i mean what the fuck would be the point I'll just wait until my weapon gets a buff and if it doesnt fuck the game just buy more hats and shit up the lobbies

The in-game reward for killing things faster, outside of the Arena where you get achievements and gated crafting materials, is that your grind is shorter. If you think MH is about the grind to get the best gear and beat the final boss then you don't belong here, though. MH is an arcade style game, the reward for setting a high score is setting a high score and getting to take pride in that. You don't question why it's better to take out multiple lines at once in tetris when getting a higher score doesn't give you the ability to choose the next block, you do it because the point is to get a higher score to begin with- The same as it is in Monster Hunter, a game that gives you a score after each instance of the game in the form of a time that is accurate to a hundredth of a second.

>downfall of Dota 2
Shitty community and Valve shitting up the game even more with new shit.

You're talking as if the game would get adjustments every 2 weeks, which really wouldn't be needed.
>i mean what the fuck would be the point I'll just wait until my weapon gets a buff and if it doesnt fuck the game just buy more hats and shit up the lobbies
As opposed to now where if your weapon is shit it'll continue to be shit for the next 3 years? If you were going to use the weapon regardless you clearly didn't care about it being shit to begin with.

if MHW will be a competitive game, will there be a competitive gamemode? will there be MMRs and ranked tiers and all that stuff? Will we have to docalibration matches to get are first MMR?

Nigger are you high? It's not a moba. If anything it'd just have a leaderboards with times. Like arcade games and high scores

I humbly stand corrected. So out of interest who is the current #1 hunter?

me

doesn't sound very competitive to me.

2 man TA is what the esport is, in japan at least.
the fuck would MMR do in a co-op game user?

Except things do get buffed and nerfed in each game compared to the previous title, so there is no static parameter.

The problem is that what gets buffed or nerfed is random and has nothing to do with how their balance showed in the previous game, suggesting that a short portion of each game's 2-year dev cycle that is spent in QA with probably a very small team of testers reporting inconsistent results from a low-to-mid level player that has had less than a month to acclimate to the game is what is used to determine what needs to be buffed or nerfed, rather than much more accurate longterm numbers from the previous game collected, compiled and processed by the community in a more rigorous format by people who have thousands of hours in the series, eliminating variables that would obfuscate an accurate assessment of weapon balance.

the point is that they should fucking balance everything before even shipping as they usually do with MH but introducing some hamfisted esport culture to this series will just cheapen it by ruining that optimization with FOTM garbage

nobody gives a fuck about competitor opinions so why should the devs?

I'm glad I play HH.

This guy

>inconsistent results from a low-to-mid level player that has had less than a month to acclimate to the game
Which is far more representative of the majority of the playerbase than a bunch of autistic speedrunners.

I know you're baiting at this point but im sure there are people that will genuinely believe this. why would mmr ever play a role in a game like this

oh i see, nevermind, that makes sense but still fuck esports

Sorry for making you type all that. I meant "physical tangible rewards" not in-game, though I appreciate the thoroughness of your response.

>"competitive" game where monsters pick moves almost at random
>Teostra does nothing but the fire breath? Congrats on your new world record!

laughing out loud

>as they usually do with MH
ahahahaha

this

no

Yeah, the retards arguing that the game isn't competitive, while wrong and increasingly wrong with each installment except Dos->FU, pulled the "stopped reading there" thing and missed that the post I made starting this pointed out that the competitive nature of the game has nothing to do with why balance is important, and that balance is LESS important in a competitive game, where controls are put in place to remove variables other than player skill regardless.

>post yfw Monster Hunter name dropped e-sports on stage as a goal for their franchise

>like five people better represent the playerbase as a whole
ah yes and that is why they seem to do well with completely different weapons each installment

even ignoring that your statement is unfounded, the sample size is too fucking small. Hence the atrocious results that even most (though clearly not all) retards who have 100 hours in the game and that's all they'll ever have notice.

its . FUCKING. retarded.

>a game has to have physical rewards in real life to be considered competitive
Nice mental gymnastics.

>we're announcing team based competitive... time attack tournament!
>winners get 1 million dollars!
>game is nothing but who does the best hame
>single player tourney is everyone using the same weapon because no real balance because the game is actually a fucking single player RPG for fun
I can see just how fucking terrible it would be

>mfw /mhg/ win the first MH Cup

Haha I'm gonna play blast bow and you can't stop me from having fun!

literally the meta in 3u and x/xx

Blast as in the status or blast as in the arc shot? Because we can blacklist you if you're deliberately fucking over the rest of the team but if you aren't I literally don't give a fuck what you play. Even if you're using the blast arc shot, if you're responsible enough to learn how not to hit players by practicing with palicos it's all good.

>using blast fucks over the team
I've never used blast myself and I rarely played online for 3u and the 3DS games. How would using blast be fucking over the team?