/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

We Actually Died This Time edition
Previous Johj: (Cross-thread)

The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.
Whether or not a game belongs in /egg/ is a case by case matter, however games that would belong in /svgg/, space voxel games general, are automatically considered /egg/

WebM for physicians:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Algodoo
>Avorion
>Besiege
>Chode - Children of a Dead Earth
>Corneroids
>Crossout
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival
>Factorio
>From the Depths
>GearBlocks
>Garry's mod
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Infinifactory
>Intersteller Rift
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Machinecraft
>Opus Magnum
>REM
>Robocraft
>Robot Arena
>Scrap Mechanic
>SHENZEN I/O
>Space Engineers
>SpaceChem
>StarMaden b
>Stormworks
>Skywanderers
>TerraTech

Games that are definitely not /egg/:
>Minecraft
>The general that quite literally cannot be named.The Mexican scam artist one. With the shitposters. Fuck off.
>underageb& who won't use the search function and also won't read where are they posting

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames
fromthedepthsgame.com

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Warbros Serb rides in CLANGhalla eternal, shiny and chrome

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eYS7UIUM_SQ
blog.marekrosa.org/2017/11/space-engineers-physics-engineering.html
phys.org/news/2018-01-device-negative-massand-lasers.html
generated.inspirobot.me/072/aXm7993xjU.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=5vq1GepI6oc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quasiparticle
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

RIP edition.

We need to add more dead games to our stable to keep us alive.

Before that we should probably go through that list and remove all the ones that haven't been posted about in ages, or only have one regular who ever talks about them (e.g. Algodoo, Empyrion, GearBlocks)

youtube.com/watch?v=eYS7UIUM_SQ
Singularity Soon™. One day I will engineer my own robololi.

which one are you /egg/?

The holy trinity of using each where it's most efficient. Bots for construction and repairs, plus maybe supplying low volume assemblers that aren't worth belts. Belts for general purpose. Trains for long distance.

>bots
>you can get a robololi waifu for your servitude
>belt
>bring death on to the oppressive upper class with homicidal glee
>trains
>thomas with guns 'cause why not
The choices are hard.

neither
inserter chain brothers ww@

Fucking don't start man, you tards stealing the image limit long before the bump limit is what killed the thread last time.

Why is there no option for inserter lines?

Just report and move on.

Which do you think, user?

Reminder this is a thing
blog.marekrosa.org/2017/11/space-engineers-physics-engineering.html

lol no. They're barely doing shit. We still can't figure out how C.elegans brain works.

someone make a triangular virgin/chad for each one

What changed in the Crossout update?

They took out all the unnecessary fun.

What /egg/ games are free?

PIPE BROS WW8?

>Upgrade computer to non-potato status
>Can finally load in big FtD sailing ships!
>Omega Watch campaign
>Wait, these are all... really fast.
>Blow the masts off one
>Doesn't even slow it down
>bullshit.jpg
>It's got 5 huge propellers
>Plus internal propellers
>It's got MORE engine I do

These aren't sailing ships, they're ships with decorative sails. Jimmies: rustled.

Now I want to make some of my own, REAL sailing ships, with no engine whatsoever, and see how far into the main campaign I can push with them.

Anyone tried it? Relying on only armor for defense and ammo box regen options for offense, I imagine my ships'll blow up real good. What weapon systems are most ammo-efficient?

Crossout

>What weapon systems are most ammo-efficient?
Lasers and particle accelerators don't require any ammo at all

But they need electricity/engines. I'm trying to avoid that. Sails+guns.

I know, I you asked for the most ammo-efficient weapon systems.

Which is better:
An /egg/ game that lets you do whatever you want
An /egg/ game that tries to limit what you can do but dedicated autism can defeat those rules

Aren't those the same?

>An /egg/ game that lets you do whatever you want

Boring after a point. Ill always end up doing nothing.

>An /egg/ game that tries to limit what you can do but dedicated autism can defeat those rules

Finding the limits and then trying to break them somehow is way more fun than "You can do anything!!"

>Play old school GMod RPG maps
>Server deliberately removes all the dangerous building tools and weapons to prevent fuckery
>Still manage to assemble an invisible drone that noclips the map and can still kill people via impact
>Name doesn't even pop up because physics kill
>Has remote camera and chair
>Can use it to break out of prison by flying it to me remotely then jumping in the chair and flying right out when nobody is looking
>Drone was never discovered
I laugh.
I had to come up with so many unusual tool uses and workarounds to get around the servers tool locks that nobody ever even considered it was possible.

Turboprop engine status: not working well dunno why I expected otherwise

You're a moron m8. The engine is literally running backwards. You can't have the jets blowing forwards and expect to get any thrust.

I know, hence the spoiler.

The propeller is spinning the opposite direction it should spin.

well fix it and show us then.

Compare Scrap Mechanic for the first, Besiege for the second.
Which is better?

>Putting in the batteries backwards

I don't think it can't be fixed, and I've tried several different configurations. Even if the propeller spins in the right direction, it's never going to overcome the troll physics of 24 steam jets pushing the turbine backwards. I've tried angling the steam jets and using gears, it still doesn't work. Propeller engines a SHIT.

Bear in mind I'm not really much of an engineer

Limits. That's why I loved it when I went on public SE servers with huge block restrictions.

holy shit just put the jets facing backwards like they fucking should.

Could we totally cuck some public se server with /egg/heads?

It's SE. No matter what we do, the server will be cucking us.

phys.org/news/2018-01-device-negative-massand-lasers.html
LADS

Now this is egg.
generated.inspirobot.me/072/aXm7993xjU.jpg

Anyone playing stationeers SP;

Go into your game data files, find "minables.xml" and change the min/max drop amount to 50.
Makes the game 100x more playable.

This. Marek must be gassed before SE's MP can be playable again.

Last time when we were on hydrosurvival some fucker apparently built 40 corvettes with his automated factory and the admins didn't care. The first thing any SE server needs is gassed marek, the second is competent admins who police the simspeed.

We can be those police. Again. We can build better ships with better weapons to enforce limits. Just like last time. But with fleet command and cruise missiles.

Don't do this, it makes mustard gas

is MAV good yet

I just imagined using probes to find players in order to count their ships and simultaneously destroy the sim speed

Can this please be a thing?
Fuck it, I'm tired of waiting
Who's on board with making a steam group?

I think most people are burnt out on spengies. They got their dose of keencode and don't want anymore.

Conflict makes more space junk which reduces sim speed! NO WAR! NO SCRAPS!

THAT OR MORE SPACE JANITORS

We can control every asteroid with a battle drone network and mandate that everyone must do 15 minutes of scrap collecting for every hour of asteroid mining, with the chance of changing the ratio as needed.

>15 roger wilco autistic engineer motherfuckers keep the space clean and pump out monster ships
make it happen

We can just browse the workshop for the best tech to integrate, and design one standard destroyer class with cruise missile launch tubes, a dorsal gravity launcher, and the best of whatever cannon is available on the server as a weapon to use to about 2km. Give them both accommodations for crew use (so we can take personal vessels or go out as a group on one), and a receiver for rdav's fleet command for automated fleet use. Find the best sensor systems on the workshop, try to work on our own solutions exploiting the new raycast cameras. Gun directors shouldn't be hard.

>Gun directors shouldn't be that hard
Assuming we have enough c# anons autistic enough to pour through keen's piss poor documentation

Otherwise I think this might actually work. Subgrids are no longer a death wish to work with, so fuckheug hangers to accommodate our ships should be easy/ier to build. Assuming we can find a non-ded, non-cancerous Serbian to base on, we could set up a network of asteroid bases and use drones with laser antennas to ferry supplies.

You lot always post the worse version, for some reason.
youtube.com/watch?v=5vq1GepI6oc

I'm pretty sure that there are plenty of fire control scripts on the workshop, we'd just add in an additional raycast camera on the gun mount to verify the target position and aim.

Is there a Factorio blueprint planner program that lets you build your layout and then reads out power use and production rates, or do I have to just load up the game and use console cheats to test things?

>Is there a Factorio blueprint planner program
We call it "mods" gramps

>What weapon systems are most ammo-efficient?
Something that makes every shot count, like a railgun. But you're a fucking elf with no engines so torpedoes or missiles? Maybe an advanced cannon set up for super accuracy with long barrels and stabilizer fin bodies.

I don't get it. I know that I can just start a clean world, cheat all the techs and items, and use the in-game factory statistics to test the efficacy of a given design. What does that have to do with mods?
I was hoping for a simple web-based planner to do the same thing for less effort (i.e. no running around, no waiting for bots, no input/output chests/tanks to manually fill and empty), and while it looks like there are some blueprint planners and some input/output calculators, none combine the two and they are also unfinished.

I wish I knew how to make stuff like that. Missed the boat on a robotics degree, I'm "stuck" with a mechanical engineering one since I went to a different university. Going to start learning Python and make a laser cutter, who knows what next.

So what happens when you place a negative mass and a positive mass in a frictionless vacuum?
Do they repel each other?

It's an off the shelf kit anyone can buy, but that particular one is probably heavily modified.

They both move in the same direction forever

Bitte?
The negative mass should be affected in the opposite way by the normal mass gravity (ie: it moves away from it) and the normal mass should do the same since it's subject to a negative gravitational acceleration

Depends on who you ask. Some say they should repel one another, some say the negative mass accelerates toward the positive mass at the same rate that the positive mass accelerates away from the negative mass.

So it's the 6/2(1+2) of physics?

That's the thing, I'm not interested in a kit that I can just buy ready-made. I eventually want to learn how to make robots like that; my goal is to make a six-legged platform for... stuff. I don't know. Maybe some cameras and simple AI to make it behave like a pet.

Mount a microwave laser on it.
And make it diesel powered.

But we do have their entire connectome mapped, as well as basically everything else about them, so it isn't hard at all to figure their shit out. In fact, I programmed a Mindstorms to run off their brain. It bumbled around a bunch but it did something.

That's because sails are fucking broken and useless and Nick will never, ever fix them.

You do not simply place them somewhere else;
They are talking about excitons and polaritons:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quasiparticle

Isn't that just one of those experiments where they have made 'effective' negative mass? As in the particles will behave as if they have negative mass only with photons, but not in any other application. It's just a simulation.

TRAIN CRUSADER COMING THROUGH

>live near railroad tracks
>theres always old guys in their cars camped out taking pictures of the trains going past with expensive cameras with massive lenses

>spend too much time engineering imaginary space ships
>no clue how to engineer a decent sandwich
Here goes nothing.

oh boy time for more off topic bullshit
this is literally KSPG tier, fuck off

Back on topic we go!

what kinds of:
>cheese
>bread
>meat
>spread
go

pepper jack
sourdough
roasted turkey
mustard

bega cheddar
multigrain
smoked pork
olive oil margarine

>cheese
Whatever is available
Yes
Butter with herbs

Cuckout released some stats from their big poll they did.

>out of 2000 players that voted
>Most of the raiders are male - 85%. And there’s just 1% of the girls. The rest were not so sure about their choice but they are already making threats about taking your scrap!

I am a simple man. I get a roll, I get some butter or lard, some salt and go to town.

>olive oil margarine

what's wrong with that cunt

Well, for one "she" has a dick

Use butter, or delicious mayo. Margarine is for faggots.

Don't eat butter cause a family member is allergic to it so we just get olive oil spread
It tastes good and aint bad for you

Munster
white or multigrain
ham/salami
dry, unless there's lettuce and Italian dressing at hand

>put my break on
>break
This pic is top stuff but come on. He drives a train he has two controls, accelerate and brake. He could learn how to spell them.

Havarti
Hokkaido milk
Prosciutto
nuffin

I just wonder how much damage a cow does to a train.

Literally nothing unless its a high speed train where the front cone is all re-inforced fibreglass. A normal train engine has a plow/bumper thats strong as fuck and would liquifies any creature dumb enough to stand on the tracks when the train is moving at speed.

>live across street from train tracks
>have been several people over the years that suicided on them
>trains travel by at 60-80kmh
>people basically explode when hit, and police are picking up chunks for days