Born with a deformed Habsburg jaw

>born with a deformed Habsburg jaw
>severely afflicted with gout
>fought three simultaneous conflicts with France, Turks, and Protestants
>Struggled his entire reign trying to hold the empire together
>Abdicated the throne to live in a monastery where he spent the rest of his life building clocks
>Trying to synchronize all of these clocks together because he never had enough time.
>Died after a few years in the monastery

Are there any other cases of Monarchs/rulers giving up their power to live simple, sad lives such as Charles V did? I'm quite familiar with Diocletian and his cabbages already.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dali_Kingdom
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>sad lives
The life in the monastery would be pretty comfy

dude was surrounded by celebite wierdos and so badly ravaged by gout he could barely walk

>born with a deformed Habsburg jaw

Its still astonishing that they didnt notice that their family was getting worse and worse from all that interbreeding, even after Charles II. How did they not realise that if you put two deformed and sickly people together they're going to produce even more deformed and sickly offspring. I know feudal rules of inheritance were in place, but, were they so strict that you had to risk your son and heir being a mutant imbecile that couldnt rule anyways?. The episode of the capetians invoking salian law in their favor proved that law could be missused or turned upside down if it favored a powerful group of people.

you're surrounded by incel wierdos right now

>Are there any other cases of Monarchs/rulers giving up their power to live simple, sad lives such as Charles V did?

Diocletian retired to farm cabbages.

>I'm quite familiar with Diocletian and his cabbages already.

>implying people on Veeky Forums are weird.

Most people on this entire site, even /b/ is pretty normal.

*are

Whoops.

The difference is the monks are celebite by choice.

What really fucked them was reformation, limiting their marital opportunities to only few catholic families

That's only because being normal and traditional is edgy now.

>The 11th king of Nanzhao established Buddhism as the state religion. Ten of the 22 kings of Dali gave up the throne and became monks.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dali_Kingdom

Maybe if you cunts could start posting names along with the obscure historical paintings, I could learn something new about a person I don't know.

>Charles V
If he's obscure to you, then you REALLY need to read up on the time period. It surprises me that guy isn't as famous as Caesar, Charlemagne and Napoleon, considering his achievements put him in the same ballpark.

How do you know what time period to study of no fucker bothers to give the name? Should people just search Google for "guy with a beard in black armour with orange trim" and hope for the best?

I just gave you a name.

YOU did, 15 replies in. The guyo point is that noone posts the name with the picture in the OP, leaving everyone else to guess.

>can't image search

die newfag

It literally says his name in the OP. Read the last couple of lines next time retard

>clocks
Was it autism?

Babby needs to be spoonfed.

I guess you could say Pedro II since he just gave up on Brazil after a quiet, non-violent coup and died as a poor and sad old man in France.

His achievement of being born from right mother and father?

Are you fucking retarded? Read the OP

>he ate alone because of his weird jaw
;_;

I'd eat with you Charles

Is there a better monarch than Pedro II? Maybe Augustus...

Boris from Bulgaria(the one who introduced Christianity)went a monastery, but it was a happy ending. He did go back to remove one of his sons from the throne.

redpill me on pedro ii

>his achievements

>plus France

Yeah, an absolute powerhouse in its own right. This cute little meme picture also forgets to mention the invading Ottomans and the Barbary pirates.

Didn't Tiberias basically do that?

>father achieves Brazilian independence, incredibly idealistic but shitty education
>gives Pedro II the best education in the Western World
>abolished the slave trade
>beat Argentina
>oversaw Brazil as a stable power in a turbulent region with a quickly growing economy
>worked with democratic government to pass laws, not violating the sovereignty of the legislature but still being an active force in the government
>patron of arts and sciences in a huge way
>would often tour the country, meeting with individual citizens
>financed infrastructure
>traveled the world
>exiled at the end of his life

He was something between an Enlightened Despot and a well-meaning social reformer. By far the best leader Brazil (or any South American country) has ever had.

Also Nietzsche sucked his dick in a train.

3rd best economy
2nd best navy.

This. Monks are basically 4channers.
NEETs
Celibates
Hold meme ideology/religion
Shit post all day every day

Cincinnatus. He was voted as a Roman dictator multiple times to deal with wars, and always put Rome on top. As soon as the wars were over, he always relinquished his powers and went home to be a farmer. He was loved so much by the Roman people he could have easily been the first serious Emperor if he wanted too.

His name is in the last fucking line of the OP

>and the turks
>and the Italians
>and the Dutch (at least half of them anyway)

I think it was quite common for old rulers to retire, abdicate and become monks.
Either if they felt weak/tired, or were persuaded by the nobility (because stepping down is better than death)

Cincinatus is pretty much the gold standard for Romans willingly stepping down from emergency dictatorial powers. He went to chill in a farm, twice.