Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/r33peu1q
flatlandersgame.tumblr.com/
ghostsonabiketonowhere.tumblr.com/
youtu.be/x9_3kdNR3o4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

rpg with gimmicky combat

godot

What is your excuse for nodevving now that Godot 3.0 RC1 is out?

>not removing stats, making everything related to skills and having skills level up through use while also falling through disuse, creating a soft cap

post progress user-kun, or i'll fuck you up

>skills stop leveling up after you're 20

Mini Metro except with Factorio's train system and more depth

Spooky scary skeletons

How do you guys feel about an "armor" stat vs pure HP up?
I don't know if I should actually add a damage calculation using armor to my game or just make the armors add additional max HP. It pretty much accomplishes the same thing, doesn't it?

i am a failure. i hate video games.

What's the best engine for making a 2D game with drawn backgrounds but 3D model characters

Unity

the core is still shit no matter how much fluff you add on.

if you only have hp, then it all boils down to dps and nothing else
if you have a low hp/high armor target, then it's better to hit it with a powerful attack instead of flurry of weaker ones, which creates more depth

>What's the best engine

Unity

Having armour separate from HP can allow you to have different interactions with certain attacks.
You can have stuff like armour piercing attacks and shit.

I like the way Overwatch does it where it's a small damage reduction up to a certain point, making it stronger against rapid fire damage but ineffective vs burst damage.

Godot

>$0 on patreon
>multiple failed games that got pulled from Steam
>YouTube videos get like 20 views
>can't even get donations on itchio
>hasn't made a game in years
>hey guys listen to me, I know everything about RPG game design

I think your system is flat out bad:
1. base stats not changing means you need to create a lot of equipments for progression, possibly making lots of them straight upgrades which is awful.
2. levelling skills by using them is repetitive, in the actual sense of the word.

You can add different types of damage/resistances, defence piercing attacks, ignoring damage if below a threshold,etc..

repost because fuck you

No such thing as a 2D game with 3D models, you want a 3D game with 2D backgrounds.

just let him pretend

brainlet

thanks for the insight user

I used to go on Gaia Online a long time ago and it had an MMO game that had skills like that. You could equip 4 rings on each hand, for a total of 8. The rings were skills, ranging from attacks to debuffs to support skills. They only leveled up when you used the ring. And there were special sets of rings that if you had all 4 on one hand you'd gain an additional special skill for that set. It was a pretty neat mechanic.

Thanks guys, I didn't think of rapid fire vs burst damage, or different damage types. Those are some good reasons for having armor instead of just HP.

>I like the way Overwatch does it
This is basically how it has worked since DOOM. Meaning, you are really showing your age here.

what if have two seperate renderers for 2d and 3d working at the same time

It's just fresh in my mind because it's the last game I played.

Although i thought it was just a flat 50%
reduction in Doom. Never really paid attention.

Go back to bed grandpa.

Remember, screenshake and "juice" are memes

There are options. In some systems armor makes you harder to hit (e.g., DnD), in some -- makes you take less damage (e.g., Warhammer if I remember correctly). Both are different and more complicated from just adding HP.

The game is still 3D you donkey. Having 2D in a 3D game doesn't make it a 2D game, but having 3D in a "2D game" means it's really a 3D game.

It will still be 3D as long as there's something 3D being rendered, your game won't lose a dimension just because 2D is more common.

Yeah I just checked, it's a 1/3 reduction rounded down.
Different from OW's system.

Literal who?

Not true. You can render a 3D model to a texture in real time and use it in a fully 2D world.
I honestly prefer it this way so you can keep the gameplay 100% 2D, and treat the texture just like any other 2D texture.

Can you name an action game that takes place in a medieval setting that isn't an RPG and doesn't have RPG elements?

chivalry

screenshake is the equivalent of cracking your knuckles.
it feels good and it's kinda aesthetic but youre probably doing it too much.

Should I restrict players from building things on wrong places, like placing a lumberjack where there isn't trees?

Ghosts and Goublins

I'm not well versed in older wrpg, I haven't played the first two fallout so I can't say for sure but doesn't it have a lot of freedom in how the player interacts with the world ? That's still part of how the game is played.

Hexen

Juice isn't a meme. Without juice many popular games wouldn't be popular. Just look at Nintendo, their games are fairly mechanically simple. But they juice the ever living hell out of them to make them feel so good.

Excessive screenshake is a meme. Screenshake has its place, but indie devs over use it way too much.

posted this last thread but got no replies so:

i made this short piano piece and i've got a couple of questions
a) where do you think it could go after this?
and b) what kind of game do you think it would suit best?

clyp.it/r33peu1q

It seems games like these aren't particularly common, as I haven't even heard of these two and I can't come up with any examples myself.

It seems that non-RPG action games without firearms are as uncommon as action-RPG with firearms.

>Goublins

>Update gamemaker because why not
>Trying to compile sends me to a purchase module webpage that doesn't exist I guess.
>Followed their "Setting up the Windows Module" page to a T but nothing changes
Updates were a mistake.

visual novel(erotic)

Games set in medieval setting without fantasy elements are even rarer. Think about that, user.

>juice
>juice
>juice

It's called polish and don't forget it hitler

If you can deconstruct a building for full refund then it's fine to let them build. Otherwise I would say at least have a tooltip that says something along the lines of "this building can't gather any resources here," to alert player that they're doing something that wont help them in any way.

>updating anything midway through development

just show the amount of resources to be gathered from the area when placing the building

polish, juice, game feel, lewd women
it's all the same thing, it makes the game better.

Yeah. I guess a realistic medieval setting would be considered boring by many people, but it does sound interesting simply because of how unique it would be.

Get off my Internet lawn, you damn dirty millennials!

I don't see the difference, but whatever. I think the main point is that armour simply isn't just extra health - and that's how it's been since DOOM. (Some later games also add energy shields to the mix, but I'm actually kinda sleepy already, so good night aggydagyans.)

JRPG. It's a cutscene music.

----[ Recap Complete ]----
recap.agdg.io/view?id=17122

Newcomers:
Infinity Spire

Welcome back:
Love Letters to Generico
[Placeholder Title]
Tower Defense: Crystal
Glitch Dream
Roly Poly

y-you're alive?

It's back?!

Ah, I will show the expected resource gain, it's just a doubt about player responsability.

TVs. Gotta texture.

Absolutely BASED! Good to have you back!

a few more recaps coming right up

recap.agdg.io/view?id=17123

Congrats:
Ghost Knight Victis, >1999 score

Newcomers:
Blend S Lewd game

Welcome back:
Gunsun Zeros
Jappu -Heart of Karina-

I've been thinking about it too. (Pointless since I already have a game but I can't seem to ever stop thinking)
You don't even need to make up shit, you could just follow the story of the Reconquista of Spain, Spain's a pretty diverse country in terms of landscape. Plus some cool looking places like Toledo or Cuenca

>big one is just a scale of the smaller ones

Don't worry, There's only going to be one in the scene

recap.agdg.io/view?id=17124

Congrats:
Horror JRPG, x10 score multiplier

Shit, I missed this weeks cus I heard you were kill

I thought this was dead? I better not lose my streak

Among strategies, not so rare.

>tfw only games i have interest in are the one without a websites
good to see you are back recap guy

Happy New Year, happy DD18. I'm currently in the process of rebuilding the site and scraper to be more flexible so I can hopefully add some neat features this year. The main navigation pages are done, and I aim to finish the rest over this next week. (Some of you might've noticed the timeline page broke. It's fixed now.) Also if anyone still wants to get in a recap entry for January week 1, the first recap of 2018, I won't be compiling it until the next one starts in around 12 hours. There are 4 entries so far.
Thanks. It's good to be back
You've still got some time as explained but regardless, I won't be resetting streaks or multipliers for just this most recent week

>SimLoli still around

I swear he was working on it when I first joined in 2012

does this guy even make games anymore

>I don't see the difference, but whatever.
Huge difference.

Armour in Overwatch is a secondary healthbar with special properties to minimize rapid fire/shotgun pellet damage. Each hit does 50% less damage it normally would up until 10 damage, which at that point it's only a 5 damage reduction.
You don't take direct damage until the armour is depleted.

Doom's armour system absorbs 1/3 of damage taken regardless of how much is done. You still take direct damage, so you can end up dying while still having armour in your pool.

So for example:
You take 90 damage.
In Overwatch you end up taking 85 damage to your armour bar. As long as you have more than 85 armour you cannot die.

In Doom you'd take 60 damage and lose 30 armour.
You'll still die if you have less than 60 health regardless of how much armour you have.

You are my secret santa

>leave unreal editor open for a while
>memory keeps climbing
It's definitely not my game's fault.

For a reason I've had sometimes UE4's process stay running despite closing the editor. I don't get why because I'm always properly closing it.

how would you approach at making this kind of combat in your game?

cutscenes

Ninja Gaiden/Devil May Cry/God Hand

>2012
You are like a little baby

real-time with pause

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Flatlanders
Web: flatlandersgame.tumblr.com/
Progress: +Combat
+LUA scripting
+Various tweaks

>real-time with pause
elaborate

I'm gonna make a RPG

Toribash already did it.

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Ghostman
Web: ghostsonabiketonowhere.tumblr.com/
Progress:
+Started work on my older game again
+Got a lot done
-I'm working on this again because my artist for my other project soft bailed (He's done this twice)

I've lurked here a while and posted this a couple times, but this is my first recap.

youtu.be/x9_3kdNR3o4
>using unity free
>making art piece
what is your excuse user

an rpg with chat bots that control all npc interaction

>SmarterChildRP

You can judge what attack your opponent is about to use watching their animation. You can pause at any point and select one of various attacking/blocking/evading abilities. They can result in sucess, fail or just can be barely enough to get you out of harms way. You can't cancel the move once selected. Unpause, watch the outcome, repeat. Think Mount&Blade but with pause and more complicated.

nice toribash clone

I like William but his game looks boring. Architecture and environment is the least interesting part of any game, and that seems to be his biggest focus.

Don't handicap yourself