/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Magma edition

Previous thread →

PLEASE NOTE: Dwarf Fortress has just received an update. If you play the newest version (44.05), be prepared for plentiful bugs and crashes. Do not complain about your bugs and crashes here, report them here: bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.05.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack (Alpha for 44.05, expect bugs):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164123
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455

>Starter Pack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164070.0
pastebin.com/ib1ukvZf
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Language
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=296
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is the irc populated?

>12x12 graphics for a 24x24
Was getting blurred so had to double it up.

I didn't know temples could have lava pools in vanilla.

4th for stealing originals copies of books

Post funny artifacts.

Posting this again because I'd really like some help. I promise I won't post it again though, I don't want to be annoying.

I am trying to make it so the fat of the Slugmorph creatures in my mod can be brewed into an animal-based drink. Despite my experiments I am unable to do this.

Can someone bls take a look at my mod and help me figure out what I did wrong? I thought I followed all the steps but I must be missing some tiny insignificant thing again that has thrown the whole system out of whack.

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164070.0

On an entirely different note, I got inspired and decided to write a little short story. Here you go.

pastebin.com/ib1ukvZf

I was kind of delirious from lack of sleep when I wrote it but yeah tell me what you think if you give it a read.

I might also be going to sleep soon so if you respond in the next few hours or so I will answer, just later. I'll totally read everything though I promise.

tileset?

burnedfx Graphic Set
be warned about using the graphic set on 24x24 had to double it.

Not sure how this happened, after making flavorful alterations to the raws I'm now getting occasional stone layers of hematite and divine materials. There's nothing like this in my inorganic stone layer folder!

sounds like the result of duplicated raw entries. make sure that every entry has a unique ID.

Yep, two instances of basalt, thanks for the tip. Generating properly now, however nice layers of pure hematite may be.

returning artifacts is bugged as fuck.

if you give a priest the artifact they ask for, you'll get a reputation increase, but they never actually put it in the reliquary. if you put the artifact on a pedestal in the reliquary yourself, it will generate a historical event, but you don't get any reputation for it, even if you tell people about it.

Except not really, found a divine layer on a new world. Gonna kms having to dig through these raws.

I let my kids fend for themselves at age 1 and press them into the workforce at age 12.
It builds character.

I believe you user, hold the line

>Surface fort
>No farming, you must fish, gather and hunt
>Can only dig 5z into stone and must use ample supports as appropriate
>No drawbridge/locked stone door faggotry
>Bonus points for a proper motte and bailey settlement
>Main defense are wood/bone bolt crossbowmen and wrestlers in leather and bone armor
It's a special kind of comf. Everyone should do it once

It's detailed in the OP and the wiki

Doesn't that still cause mem leaks?

0 way unless dfhack added something. It's a uniform. I'd recommend just not mining in a stupid way but you can train their dodging up to help their pick parries then make sure the only clothing in your fort is leather.

Don't like import and melt memes?

Give them a metal helm, breastplate, buckler, crossbow, bolts and leather clothing and armor on the rest. A couple thousand bolts in a pinch are pretty swole.
Also on the ones without a moodable skill, have them make bolts out of melted copper or legging/caps/whatever to see weapon/armor artifacts

wrong thread, pls ignore

Sorry people are having discussions?

what is the point of minecarts, really? i haven't dabbled with them at all

You don't have to respond to every post you read, user. Its a bit obnoxious and an eyesore.

they're fun

Haven't used them in fort mode, but in adventure mode they're a riot.

You can get into one and start pushing it to gain momentum - thing is, once you do start pushing, the game doesn't prevent you from doing so again while you're inside. So on a flat area, you could keep pushing the minecart until you reach ridiculous speeds.

Of course, then you slam into an obstacle and go flying, potentially skidding across the ground and mangling your limbs, or alternatively your character slams into a tree or hillside, at which point they blow apart on impact.

I'm not, you don't have to respond to any post your see. It's trivial to click hide

>Make a long walkway
>Heap microcline in a tower
>Load it into minecarts
>Shotgun the path with microcline
Arguably, if your quarry isn't nearby it's less work to have them feed a catcher stockpile then minecart bulk load generic stone up to your workshop's stockpile or ore down to your magma smelters if you didn't otherwise make them in your fort. Also just minecarting lava up to your smelters

why would you waste the glorious rock that is microcline as shotgun ammo?

So that ALL peoples return to their people spreading word

i know right?

well the game crashed during the night.
not totally unexpected, but still kind of disappointing.

is it true that toady will never implement stuff like feces and urine?
all i remember is he said he doesn't want it to be known as "that kind of game".
i actually would like to have to deal with sanitary stuff, latrines and sewage.

Main reason is that it would add even more micromanagement to the game - dwarves already take breaks for a lot of things and having them take breaks to do their business would be a tad too much.

I do admit I'm one of the people who would love if it was added, just as an init option that can be toggled on or off - partially because I would love to make a raw sewage drowning trap for invaders.

Toady itself is still an evolving creature. Wait for Toady 50 for urine and feces

>a raw sewage drowning trap for invaders
i like the idea.
would be nice as an optional init option indeed.
i personally would love it because i'm a lowly civil engineer.

if i embark with no elves as neighbors, does it mean there won't ever be any elf caravan or invaders coming in?

>Note that "neighbours" on that screen are not always "neighbours". Sometimes, you can have an elven civilization as a neighbour while they are on the other side of the world. This just means they can send you a caravan.

>tfw never got any goblin caravans

can I put meals on repeat without the fear of accidentally cooking my seeds?

z - kitchen - seeds - remove "cookable" from seeds

>be me, Bosa Skullcracker
>sent out to fight the stumpies along with me mates
>successfully infiltrate their fortress
>Ongusp Dungfart steps on a pressure plate
>FUCK ARE YA DOING YA CLUMSY CUNT
>all fall down into a pit
>smells like a kobold and a troll fucked in their own shit
>hear stumpies laughing from above
>one of them pulls a lever
>gate opens
>mfw its a tidal wave of shit, piss and vomit
>drown slowly in dwarven refuse

Fucking stumpies.

I just want my fort to have sewers, something to connect to stuff so it scoops up all the blood, mud and vomit while leaving the streets and water tanks clean. I don't really care for piss and vomit as I'm not jewish or work for Hollywood, just keep it as "if you don't have sewers or mismanage them, your fortress turns into vulnerable trash where everyone got undead ebola or goblins just decided to set up a camp under your hospital.

Also give dwarves the ability to swim when they aren't about to drown and make something off that, so I get to see stuff such as a peasant diving into a pond to recover a mayor's cat bone ring.

Alright, time for a cool open cavern civ in a terrifying glazier.
>Mil commander instantly maimed by yeti on unpause, yeti barely phased
>Get all my shit inside somehow and seal her off
>Breach cavern l 1
>Start building, 99999 crundles show up
>Kill most of them, they get my carpenter though
>Shit, atleast I've got plenty of meat n-
>GCS shows up and paths to my hideout immediately
>Enlist miners, they somehow take it out but one of them dies
>Alright, guess I had a rocky start. Time to get this fort going
>Start building bedrooms
>Hey what are those Os outside?
>Fucking 3 blind cave ogres
>Get my shit smashed in, enlist every last dwarf, enlist first mig wave, accept petitions from elf swordsguy and enlist him too
>Now they're all stuck fighting the last ogre, all original 7 dead
>37 pages of combat log, now it just stands still and nothing is happening

is this bad luck or is it a bad idea to instantly breach caverns like this

Can you make a water clone?

>traders camp at the edge of the map because no Depot
>were antelope kills the merchants
>my dorfs immediately haul all their shit
did I provoke anything now or was I just lucky?

Just carve out an actual city into the mountain. Link floor hatches to occasionally rinse all the main thoroughfares into drainage ditches then your sewers. Between that and bathtubs at your key chokepoints, you'll have a clean fort with a sewer. Bonus points for dumping a reservoir onto invaders to splash them into and drown them in the megabest infested sewer

In ages long past, people made wimming pools as part of the uberdwarf project.

You're fine though they will count it as theft and bring less shit and of a lower quality

Wasnt planning to trade anyway but the food and plaster powder is nice

damn shame, too. the embark was pretty cool. lonely mountain on a plain ice/snow place.

i love tall and thin mountains like that.
how do you spot them on the embark screen?

Hard there, the blocks of 9 masterwork symbols with flat ground helps.

i do too, but this one was unexpected. pre-embark screen(?) showed something like
7*7
so i'm not really sure. was delighted to see it though. shame i got all of those cratures on my ass immediately.

dammit now i need to find myself a nice thin mountain to hollow and build in

so a poor sap haa been hospitalised for a year now. his arm and everything on it is "mangled beyond recognition". How do I even heal him? He's just pussing all the time and glad when someone brings im food/water.

>Embark to a * cuckcano surrounded by non-*'s
>Blop holes into it
>Get around to obsidian capping it to stop the obnoxious drain fps loss

feces, urine and sperm are already in the raws

Spirit cooking in DF when?

Whys the captain of the guard such an asshole?
He punched my clothier in the throat so hard it exploded. Just because the mayor didn't get his crowns

If they don't appear in the neighbors list at embark then they can't send invasions or caravans unless they found a settlement closer to you after you've embarked. The range for another civ to count as neighbors is 30 world tiles, and 10 tiles for a necro tower.

>it's an user gives advice that he's never actually tried episode
That will have the opposite of the effect he wants. First, every tile that water touches will become muddy. Then when he opens a cavern for the first time all that mud will turn his floors into a patchwork of unsmoothable cyan/yellow/white. And contaminants won't be cleaned that way, they'll spread and propagate throughout his entire fort. Unless he uses magma, which solves the other problems too, but kind of defeats the purpose.

Smooth or pave your shit fuckface. This isn't the dark ages.

That sounds cool but I have no idea what you're talking about

He's saying that forest retreats can be highly different depending on how you edit the elven civilization file.

I.e if you give them access to underground trees, you will see them living in the giant fungal trees from the underground. Or with access to evil trees, they will live up in glumprongs.

Cool thanks

Does storing stuff in Bins/barrels help fps?

Kind of? Less space is good. You still want to keep total item count down.

Can I embark not as dwarves but as other creatures from other civs?

Yes, if you add the right tokens. Many races are missing the tools/stuff of dwarves. I think All Races Playable mod has everything you need packaged together.

Only with mods.

Yeah, Just change the tokens to their entry. In general they're lobotomized so look towards mods that fixed that up

>Tower in neighbor list
>Tower is so far away I don't get 1st winter zombie siege meme'd
Nice

thank you :)

What's the most efficient way to channel out a large multi-z-spanning chamber for a cavern tree farm?

Dig every z-level > channel edges > cave-in > open space. Other option is to first designate top z-level, when that is fully done designate next one, et cetera.

Start at the top, channel, the z, repeat
Have a lot of masons and stone haulers to help keep the total item count down

Most of the time, caverns are fine, and you won't get anything threatening for years.
By corollary, sometimes they're not fine.

>designate top z-level
for channeling

Also rotate miners once they hit legendary or legendary+5 into the military. No sense wasting a good thing

Press tab a few times to see the elevation map.
Lone volcanos often end up looking like that.

Beat the love of Armok into them!

Is it actually possible to have a deity called Armok in the game?

I don't think so.

>breaching caverns
>not intantly sealing caverns, builing defenses and then opening them again
completely deserved

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Language

>ctrlF "armok"

nope

Smooth tiles will still get muddy and grow moss. Paved tiles will still get muddy. And contaminants will propagate irrespective of what kind of tile they're on.

this thread should be called dwarf fortress sewage edition instead of magma edition

What the other guy said. At the very least, plop a barracks as a gateway to the exploratory shaft.

They didn't get a weapon that could penetrate or maim him if they got a weapon at all so they're just doing nothing

That's par for the course. Normally, you have marksdwarves on patrol, traps, and a hefty amount of soldiers and recruits though so it's fucking nothing but an auto-trainer

Then why'd I have no trouble with my sewer years ago?

The contaminants are washed out of the bathtub and into the sewer where you aren't sending anyone.

>being a turtlepussy

That's fine they're confined to a dwarf wash. If you're going to do what said and "rinse the main thoroughfares into drainage ditches" you're just going to make a mess.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=296
Contaminant spreading and duplication is a stickied bug and possibly the oldest open bug on the tracker. What was suggested in the post I replied to is the absolute worst case scenario for reproducing this bug ad infinitum, and will leave mud on literally every floor touched by water. It will not achieve the stated aim of a clean fort, and is guaranteed to instead make the filthiest fucking fort possible.

So are temples not working anymore? Playing the newest update and nobody is praying. Even tried making separate temples for each deity instead of one non-specific one. Nothing.

Had a similar experience with a terrifying glacier volcano embark the other day. Tons of FUN, like for real.

>being a fucking retard and pretending it's more hardcore
the blood of a thousand dwarfs lies on your hands, and for what? so you could shitpost on an elven wicker-weaving forum?

repent

>Lay cage traps and a ceiling trap in the meantime
>Barf bolts at megabeasts then crush it
Wow, it's fucking nothing. I wish I was soooo hardcore like you

These are not mutually exclusive, user.

Ok, so a necromancer attacked before I had time to prepare an army, I only managed to seal myself in with a drawbridge. Thinking of using magma, how am I gonna power the screwpumps without water or wind power though?

only strongest dwarfs should survive
cage traps are gay too
only wicked elf lovers use them

Your continued living is gay, end it if you don't play solely with naked surface dwarves

Cavern water, make a water reactor
Good luck if the brush fire somehow misses the necromancer. You'll be left facing burning zombies