Saints of a very questionable nature

The one I got in mind is saint Olaf, once king of Norway. While he did become a saint later on he was during his life prone to cruelty and forced conversion who became so hated by his own subjects he eventually ended up exiled and later killed by peasants who may very well have been Christians themselves when he tried to return.
For some reason the Church didn't think of this as a problem when venerating him.

That's because Rome = Babylon
>Come out of her, my people

why did he become a saint? or how? some other saints were bad werent they? wasnt paul bad? and didnt dante put one of the popes in hell?

Mine will be Saint Guinefort. Because hes a dog. Saints cant be dogs. But then again he wasnt accepted buy the church.

>wasnt paul bad
No??

yeah but he persecuted jews.

Paul persecuted Christians in his early life when he was known as Saul of Tarsus. He had a revelation from God and then he did good stuff. Kind of the opposite of the saint OP is talking about, who apparently did bad stuff in later life too.

Constantine

>For some reason the Church didn't think of this as a problem when venerating him.
It is infinitely better to suffer in temporal life than to spend eternity in hell. No matter how cruel he was he still saved millions of souls in Norway.

Sanctioned the burning of synagogues. Used his power over the emperor to force him to enact anti-pagan laws (which literally outlawed anything not approved of by the church, meaning pagan temples, items, worshippers, etc.)

Is one of the most venerated of saints to this day and his famous maxim - "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" - is still quoted frequently without irony by christians. What people think it means: "just go with the flow and love other cultures ;^)". What it actually means: "obey the church or else."

>implying burning synagogues is a bad thing

Nigga the Jews and pagans shat all over my church in Alexandria did you even read my encyclical epistle?

how can one man be so based

wtf I love St. Ambrose now?

The problem with that line of thought is that he was being enough of a shitter to have his own Christian subjects turn against him and it seems like his efforts to spread Christianity in Norway has been overvalued.
Also goes pretty much against the values of God to force convert people I think.

Didn't Theresa turn out to be a fraud too?

Not in catholicism.
Torturing people to get baptised was considered an act of mercy as the pain in this life would be nothing against the one they would face in the afterlife if unbaptized.

Thank you St. Ambrose.

So that whole "noble pagans go to heaven" thing is just heresy?

>What it actually means: "obey the church or else."
No it doesn't you fucking retard

Forced conversions are illegitimate.

norfag here, he became saint cause he was the one who christianized norway, despite being other christian kings before him

also, his toenails and hair apparently continued to grow after he died, which sorta reinforced the thought that he was divine

he was a cunt tho

Yoiu are sure he wasn't just a draugr?

oh god it all makes sense now

Never change \his

Gee, I don't know. JPII, the Pope who covered up and excused pedophiles? Mother Theresa, whose only goal was to aggrandize herself for sainthood? Junipero Serra, who enslaved the Indios in California?

Are you even trying?

What is wrong with mother Teresa, image macros and memes are not answers

Yeah Junipero enslaved those Indios with literacy and medicine! If it wasn't for him, those noble Indians would still be living naked in huts! Clothes are oppression!