/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

Undead Eternal edition
Previous dod: The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.
Whether or not a game belongs in /egg/ is a case by case matter, however games that would belong in /svgg/, space voxel games general, are automatically considered /egg/

WebM for physicians:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Algodoo
>Avorion
>Besiege
>Chode - Children of a Dead Earth
>Corneroids
>Crossout
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival
>Factorio
>From the Depths
>GearBlocks
>Garry's mod
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Infinifactory
>Intersteller Rift
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Machinecraft
>Opus Magnum
>REM
>Robocraft
>Robot Arena
>Scrap Mechanic
>SHENZEN I/O
>Space Engineers
>SpaceChem
>StarMaden b
>Stormworks
>Skywanderers
>TerraTech

Games that are definitely not /egg/:
>Minecraft
>The general that quite literally cannot be named.The Mexican scam artist one. With the shitposters. Fuck off.
>underageb& who won't use the search function and also won't read where are they posting

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames
fromthedepthsgame.com

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Warbros Serb rides in CLANGhalla eternal, shiny and chrome

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/YNLC0wJSHxI
politiscales.la-commune.net
youtube.com/watch?v=P73REgj-3UE
mega.nz/#!y1JyBLzZ!hTuETs6EfXAOPMxy4y53ZgfDbYh32bA_QsCu4v_1Qgo
store.steampowered.com/app/686260/Forged_Battalion/
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1197728450
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

what was the moment /egg/ started this spiral into death

The moment we realised the only way to survive was to absorb other dying games/generals, each of which continue to die inside us
We are a black hole of autism and death

We are the ancient eldritch horror from beyond time, absorbing the meager life force of lesser races to sustain ourselves for a mere few eons longer.

/egg/, what is best in life?

RETAKE THE HOLY LAND

youtu.be/YNLC0wJSHxI

what move
the power you feel when absorbing the souls of those you have slain
thus suicide must be the best feeling next to mass murder

To out-engineer your enemies
To see them drive into walls before you
And to hear the lamentations of their servers

What if we /colonized/ a streamer's server?

Would it be funnier to start during or between heir streams?
>During: they don't know who these new people are but they sure are weird oh god they're way better than anyone here
>Between: everything normal when they leave, on return there's swastikas/dicks/a giant yellow mass created from most of their stuff

>Generic phrasing with 'quotation marks'
>Exclamation point!
What channel is it, not clicking otherwise

>harpoons can stick to allies

Join just before, act during. Get to a secluded place in numbers, build an armada, come at them, shit on everything they've made. Use the most complex and beautiful things you can manage to build.
Post results.

What game gmode or spengies?

I think it would be better if we smashed their base with a barrage of dicks with swastikas and massive loli pixel art walls while they were streaming.

>building an army when you can build a business and pay the regulars to fight each other for you

Defeating your enemies using superior engineering and getting to sniff the goddess of victory panties afterwards!

>building a business when you could be building intergalactic communism

Spengies. As long as you put effort into it, you can basically hang them by their bollocks.
Do you have the numbers?

Tipping the domino that eventually topples an empire.

politiscales.la-commune.net
post your favorite way to operate a factory.
what types of machines it would use.
what would be the most optimal way to wage warfare and what types of tech would you use.
would you upgrade or replace.
what would you allow your mechanical servants/creations/people to believe/learn/feel.
then tell us how it reflects your results
tell me if i missed something

i dont have the numbers and i deleted my builds

Clay is OP
youtube.com/watch?v=P73REgj-3UE

This dude makes fucking anything from clay.

His camera is probably made out of clay.

Wish I had the time and ability to go out and do stuff like this. I live too far away from any place which has a combination of trees, resources, and water like that.

With the sort of tech level he looks at, the most efficient way to get to a place with all three would be looking for the water sources first (i.e. find a stream/river) then follow it until you find trees.
The most important resources were food, wood, and stone, which are all going to be in forests.
Clay comes soon after and is going to be where water is (or was at one point).

I live in Britiain so uh... plenty of water here.

Is this another one of those google scam-tier ai's?
>ooga booga we made ai it can count words we tell it to count

repostan low effort OC

Replace the speed limit sign with "Sim Speed 0.01" or whatever the spengies "shit is fucked yo" speed is.

good thinking, don't expect me try to blend it in better though

>friend gifted me spengies 100,000 years ago
>finally get around to installing it
>it bluescreens my computer after about 5 minutes
KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN

Is FtD still being optimized into a single optimization? Also, has Factorio changed significantly, or is it still lacking endgame autism without mods? Haven't touched either for a long while now, and I need to get back into the fun shit again.

>bluescreen
>for 5 minutes

Smells like bullshit.

Needs corneroids and REM

whens the cuckout shit update i want to grind

EZ

supposed to be next week

that's a very blurry forest, what am I looking for?

some thoink i think

Looks like either Electrode or llɐqpuɐloԀ running at incredible hihg speed

>llɐqpuɐloԀ

What makes a good Factorio map in your opinion?

Playing Vanilla 0.16, no mods. Going Death World. I keep hitting refresh on the generation but I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Any tips? Or am I overthinking it?

whats a cuckout weapon that will enable me to have fun against the tide of cancerous shit builds

i'd rather have the uncreative gunbeds than this shit

made fix

what's the emboss setting you're using

grey text, emboss, set the blending to linear light

Pls respond

Chode is alive and well, for those who have the power level to handle it.

yep

resources

Abomination of the day

Forests. Too many of them means reroll because mowing forests down is fucking cancer until you get tools to do the job efficiently.

How do you remove forests efficiently in vanilla? Just regular frag grenades?

poison grenades or fire works well

I reconfigure the horizontal and vertical tubes depending on target, but usually it's long range missiles and torpedoes with lots of blocks

can take a beating too. Two electric engines and RTGs, so it's always moving even with critical damage

>Playan TerraKek
>Mission tells me to go pick up a delivery crate
>Expect an ambush
>Do not expect four giganigga Geo techs to drop from the sky
>Framerate takes it up the pooper
>So do I

>rollercoaster tycoon was coded in assembly
How optimized would a physics engine be if it was coded in assembly?

Probably pretty shit. Compilers these days are pretty good at utilizing the CPU in ways a human wouldn't consider.

Frags/rockets for precision removal; for broad deforestation use a handheld flamethrower to set the forest alight which removes >95% of the trees without any further player input.

among those brave 13 which how many have got the prerequisite autism level?

>want to make a simple text wall or image gallery tutorial on a thing in an engineering game to quickly explain how to do something because its 'guides' are infested with youtube niggers who beg for subs and pad their videos with needless commentary and bile talking with their nasally fuck-off voices god i fucking hate youtube guides.
>too stupid to actually figure out the shit myself so im not an authority enough to explain it to anyone else
this is suffering.

>want to make a simple text wall or image gallery tutorial on a thing in an engineering game to quickly explain how to do something because its 'guides' are infested with youtube niggers who beg for subs and pad their videos with needless commentary and bile talking with their nasally fuck-off voices god i fucking hate youtube guides.
I know this feel
Steve1989 is one of the only youtubers I can tolerate.
The other is Townsend and Son.
I can't even tolerate the fake southern accent in the Crossout videos anymore. It was funny for like two episodes and from then on I just heard the KGB voice modulator from Archer S2E7

Double headed trains or single head and deal with the rail connections needed to support it?

Question, in spengies you can make raycast cameras, right?
How exactly? With what block? Can you also discern the type of voxel the ray hits?
I vaguely recall it needing a monitor but i don't think it's right since monitors are not cameras

Ftd was only simplified once afaik. It continues to get more complicated.

programmable block (script), needs a camera and a timer, outputs to a display (text)

This
There are 2 that i know of, pic related wich is a simple one with 1km of range but can scan like an actual radar in the amounts of scans per second, up to the point that you can make something like a basic map, this one is mostly just one camera on a rotor and the script.
And another one that each scan takes way longer, but as the raycast range, is infinite (render range limit) and it throws to text every single little thing they find with aproximated coordinates, in this one you can stack cameras to increase the speed or resolution of each scan.
They can discriminate grids small or large and voxels, not sure about components tho.

>can take a beating too

Inb3 under 80% and sinking, because otherwise seafloor gunbeds murder everything.

Can it distinguish between targets above and below the main plane?

So, is your pic like a terrain-following radar? Could it gather data and send it to an autopilot?

It probably wouldn't work.

As much as people shit on UE/Unity, 90% of their problems come from setting the bar low enough for people who have no damn business making video games.

There's also the eternal question of how to turn a good engineering system into a good game. I'm not aware of a single complex /egg/ that has managed this (FtD is closest; numerous non-building flaws and scatterbrained design). I suspect it's just a global lack of foresight.

Also honorable mention to Factorio. It's an absolutely hypnotic timesink for most people, but it's not physics-based so I don't personally find it satisfying.

Would any legit factorio owners be able to drop some useful QoL mods and some other things like
>AAI mods
>More turrets
>RSO
>rampant
>Daylight extender
Maybe anything else you like playing with. Pls no torture with Bobs/Angles tho. Thanks. I love you.

I should also add
>.16 stuff pls.
Sorry for being a piratefag

Squeak Through and What is it Really Used For? are must-haves in my book. Also Autofill, Autodeconstruct, any loader mod, FARL, Bottleneck, Bob's Inserters (just the inserters, no autism here), and possibly Long Range Research if that's your thing.

Oh fuck me I thought you were asking for just what mods to use. Fuck off, Piratefag. Just buy the game, it's not that expensive.

jk, here you go friendo: mega.nz/#!y1JyBLzZ!hTuETs6EfXAOPMxy4y53ZgfDbYh32bA_QsCu4v_1Qgo
Shouldn't be any autism.

Th-thanks.

What should I buy, TerraTech or FtD?

Buy this store.steampowered.com/app/686260/Forged_Battalion/
and tell us what you think about it

>RTS
No

Depends on your autism. Terratech looks kinda fun for a little while. I've got over 1000 hours in ftd and still haven't mastered anything in it.

Pirate both to decide.
Personally, ftdev is cunt; not sure what the current state of terratech is, from what I remember it's kinda simple.

That almost is what i wanted to make.
Some key differences but still might just scratch that itch.
And now to wait until some brave soul puts everything into a mega with the steam emulator (since i'm a destitutefag and don't have steam anyway)

The fast one uses a 45° of FOV on the raycast somehow, so that one might not, unless you split the thing and separate them enough to make the difference between the 2.
That pic is this fast radar on rotor detecting mountains and shit arround.
I guess you could make a script to read the LCD screen and do the interpretation for something else, ive seen new version that dump the data in plain text instead of an image, so it would be easier to translate into usable data.
>keen's autopilot
Not that one for sure.

Would such a system be able to distinguish terrain from ships?
>drone with missile turrets and on-board fabricator
>can fly and loiter indefinitely
>set to orbit a certain area and fire on everything it sees
>stupidly fast and manoeuvrable
>Set to crash into specific location at full speed if it runs out of ammunition/its weapons are destroyed, detonating warheads
It would be the closest thing to pic related.
Even more ambitious
>heavily armed drone with autopilot
>set in the direction of enemy base/slow ship
>fires when in range, turns away when too close/orbits the target and pours shots in with turrets
>turns if target is not in sight like an AIM-9X

>would such a system be able to distinguish terrain from ships?
They use the same raycast to "paint" targets in other scripts i saw for missiles and such.
Here is the lastest one with all the accesories you can get, i use an early version because the graphic interface lets me use the line of the radar as a way to know the position of the turret compared to the hull in muh tonks.

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1197728450

>having a orbital toilet printer that makes giant explosive turds to shit all over a planet
The thing with the fast one is the range, to not shit up performance, its distance is cut to 1km, so you will need the slow larger one, but its possible.

ede

store.steampowered.com/app/686260/Forged_Battalion/
Supply drop of this when? I've been hankering for an actual modern RTS for a while now, and it looks really fucking interesting.

It almost scratches the itch of what i wanted to make.
Only less Warzone 2100 and more Supcom, with a bit more leeway in building (Chromehounds comes to mind).
Can't complain though. Heck i hope it turns out good

>min 8 gigs ram
fucking devs jesus christ
Then they wonder why their game is so niche and has bad performance

so... will I be able to build these?

>psst, chum
>urine trouble?
>URINE LUCK

bother 8/v/'s sharethread if you can't find it, they can usually find everything.

Last time I went there, all I saw was retarded drama and circlejerking, mate.