freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

[your favorite engine] is so fucking bad

I agree.
But it gets the job done at least without any programming knowledge.

im modelling TREES today

Can I impregnate this?

would you still make games even if nobody else give a fuck and you make no money?

I've tried to focus on other shit seeking maybe to make money on normie shit, but I rather die poor and alone than waste my time on other shit.

I'm actually having fun so yes

I did it for like 11 years for fun before I even tried to make money

all my friends are dead
push me to the edge

Chaika a cute. CUTE

Being dev is hard.

You got a problem with the Doom engine?

what's your excuse for not practicing art today, user?
do you want your game to look like unnappealing shit? or maybe you're thinking of 'comissioning' some faggot to do it for you? don't forget most artists nowdays are entitled babies who'll overcharge you and give shoddy results, user...

get good at art.

Maybe, but art gives me biger issues that stem from myself, so I can't blame the engine for my hardships.

By the way, what do you guys think about this (untextured) door ? It's from the future so naturally it opens vertically.

I plan on having shit art until I can find an artist who happen to be a cute Japanese who will also become my gf.

Adding lua support was suspiciously easy. I wonder if I did something wrong.

it's not an engine, it is an API for SDL
checkmate ;)

So I'm downloading some 400MB of UE4 documentation from 2015, how useful will it be considering there's 2 years worth of updates?

Why would you do that

Most of UE4's core systems are the same with some UI improvements.

What you're really missing is new features.

>downloading documentation

I want to make a Dark Souls game.

Let's say I only shot for 5 areas with 5 bosses and ~20 unique enemies. What am I looking at for dev time as a 1ma?

Useful if you work when travelling without internet.

2 years

see
also I like to print stuff and read at work on my rests

Depends. How unique will the enemies be, palette swaps or completely different behavior?

Get a working prototype first.

noted, thanks

GM:S?

20 completely unique (own animations, models, etc) but pallet swaps as well

Depends a lot on what you mean by "Dark Souls game". Do you want quests, a lot of weapons each with different attacks, magic, classes, a character customizer? Could take a year or it could take twenty. Best idea is , get the game working then you can add more enemies/weapons/etc and you'll be able to estimate how long it'll take you.

reminder that if you aren't making a game for the switch you are missing out

Does Big N allow nipples?

Multimedia Fusion 2.5

Console development in general sounds like a bitch, they each have that massive list of picky requirements you have to tick off.

I don't know what the Switch is like but the others are hundreds of points long.

halo/10

What engines you can even use to develop for switch?

UE4

it supports a ton of stuff, even unity and unreal

nintendo uses UE4

lmfao

at least the configuration is uniform and you don't have that occasional faggot saying it doesn't work on his machine

FUCK OFF

unity and ue4
godot is once again a meme and gm:s got openly cucked out of having a switch version

KEK

I've never made anything. I'd like to try to make something. Where should I start?

Give up already

God damn it, that's not at all what I'm trying to emulate. Probably will be more the case once I start throwing colors on it.
At least it means it's not completely garbage, Halo has some nifty stuff.

Trying to emulate Zone of the Enders 2's style essentially. But to be fair, it's mostly hard surfaces that give me trouble, I just can't imagine good looking stuff, even on paper.
Not really sure there's a fix besides studying more.

schleep

1. Learn to program
2. Be good at art, or find someone who is
3. Have scope creep haunt you forever

First ten years are hard, then it gets easier

Jesus Christ that perspective. Looks comfy though, but the chacacter should be a cute girl

Is it cheating to bring a somewhat fleshed out framework you worked on in advance into a game jam? It won't necessarily be a full blown game, but it takes care of some of the background lifting

this

while developing on the PC is more accessible, having a console with set specs is infinitely easier to develop on, you know exactly how your game will work for every user.

oh no...

What should I be doing with the elbow and shoulder topology to make it deform better?

I like it, it's A E S T H E T I C

>Update
Just make horsedick bro

what happened to all mecha game devs?

Let me ask before I mess it up.
If I want a static far away background, should I make it move on the x axis with the character?

Shoulder could use another edgeloop.

Elbow should look like pic related. Red lines are weighted at half. Purple not weighted at all. (just holds shape) Middle line is main deformer.

The guy who was making an Armored Core clone got a job.
No idea what happened to the UE4 mecha game in the jam that had sliding mechas with Stens.
That's the only ones I can think of.

No.

Think about all the people going there who will use Unreal or Unity.

I liked those sliding mechas...

Is this that thing where you have two loops at the front of the elbow and three for the back, with triangles joining them?

Basically. I wish I could find a more simplified image but I only have fatal frame models on me

The last model I did was like this, but this one has a slightly higher polycount and I'm not sure how to translate it

So, how come people get away with putting characters like Mario and Batman in their games and publishing them? Isn't that illegal?

They generally don't, you might get lucky if your game is free and not on a major distribution platform

Depends.

If it's a homage to Mario, like a Mario's hat, that's a very gray area that would depend on the judge.

If it's really Mario, then that would depend on Nintendo going to sue every rip off that exist. No hope if chinese through.

How do I make Unity not stretch my textures?
I can think of two ways
>make separate material for every unique-shaped object
>make everything out of 1x1x1 blocks

But both are shit. Anything else?

UV maps you absolute dummy

>people play your little demo
>it takes them 10 hours to complete and they thank you and keep trying to give you money

Geez, some folks really want to give money for these little things, huh?

some more progress

Yeah I was kind of surprised by it too.

did you unwrap any of these boxes?

pls rate.

>Zone of the Enders 2
Hm, haven't played it myself, but it seems to be mostly hues of green/blue.
I recommend just trying to find pieces of photos with interesting and sharp detail that remind you of those robot pars and panels, put them all together in a texture map and use Color balance in Gimp to get the right hue mix.
Just drag the sliders one by one until it starts looking the way you want. Start with dark sliders, then median and then light.
Then try making some basic robot shapes and unwrap small parts at a time to the texture map you made. Just moving the UV parts around (with symmetry on) should start revealing interesting patterns pretty quickly.

Chuck finally has a fucking house

Uhhh...

Thank you very much. I'll get on that today.

>the only market our games will ever appeal to is ourselves and other devs
why try

post your game

Oh wait I ticket UV Charting on one and I see more now.
It looks nice under "Realtime GI UV Charts", but it's still not working right in runtime.

the quality and smoothness of all the assets seems much better in the lower picture

Good progress!

>Then try making some basic robot shapes and unwrap small parts at a time to the texture map you made. Just moving the UV parts around (with symmetry on) should start revealing interesting patterns pretty quickly.
Shit I remember one of your tumblr posts about that specific workflow but forgot about it. It's a great idea,
I think I'm rather just gonna model some hard surface details that are a little stylized, and bake them onto textures, that way I can keep a consistant artstyle/colour palette.

>it seems to be mostly hues of green/blue.
It varies a little, there's a whole section on the surface of Mars, which unsurprisingly has quite a lot of red. I'm not planning a 1:1 copy so I don't have any issues with "not respecting" the exact same colour scheme.

Thanks a lot by the way, I'm not sure it's gonna work but you definitely gave me some hope and confidence again.

Thats ghetto. If its 2d use it as a skybox texture that your camera draws. If its 3d, I believe you render it, then clear the depth buffer, then render the rest of your stuff.

Thank you! We're gonna try to do throwback thursdays and shit leading to the campaign so I hope other people think so too

your game looks so good
How far along are you? You've been posting for like 2 years now right

>Unity crash $1XX

I enjoy playing my own game a lot, the process of making it and having a big project and sticking to it improved my self-esteem

Nah its been more like a year and a half of actual progress posting.

We're done with systems but content wise its still like 18% done...gotta do a lot more chapters

what game and I feel like at that stage I would never stop playing my game and trying to break it to see if I need to fix stuff for the rest of my life

Pro tip: You'll get to the point that your game is perfect and bug free, release it, and then everyone will find hundreds of new bugs.

That's when you're a gamedev.

No problem, and good luck!

Well that means people played it, so you're right, I'll be happy ish but also eternally embarrassed

RRShooter
Finishing it will leave a hole for sure, but that can be filled with other projects or hobbies, so I'm not worried.

Just like make other game