Hey /his, I'm doing a project for community college and I was wondering if you guys could help

Hey /his, I'm doing a project for community college and I was wondering if you guys could help.

I need to talk about how a country from around the world dealt with nation building and ethic minorities. Basically something a long the lines of a nation oppressing an ethic group within there nation. It can't involve the U.S and I need to right 6 pages so I need to be able to find some sources.

I was thinking Australians and aborigines but it seems fucking boring. Any ideas?

Thats fucking beautiful, where is that from?

Us Englishmen basically told the irish to fuck off when they started starving in our borders.

No idea, I stole if from you guys the only other time I've been here before.
Would love to know aswell

Ireland is a good one but is there enough to talk about the British fucking over Irish citizens? The problem with Ireland is I thought most of the history was a civil war, not the government oppressing an ethnic group

An obvious example would be France, but holy shit please tell me English isn't your mother tongue or you're not a day older than 11.

Indigenous Australian issues would be an easy one to handle because it covers less than 300 years of history and can be easily summarised in a few stages: conflict - assimilation - integration - self-determination.

You could also look at China but you'd need to focus mainly on a certain era, say the past 70 years.

Some other examples I can think of:
Singapore/Malaysia
Japan
Canada
Any South American nation
South Africa
Zimbabwe
Balkan/ex-yu state of your choice
Russia
Spain

>Ireland is a good one but is there enough to talk about the British fucking over Irish citizens?

I'm English as they come, and mate, there is an absolute shit to talk about as far as historical discrimination goes. Stuff about the Catholic church being suppressed, the Irish Gaelic language, inheritance law changes, old Irish customary law being replaced with English common law etc.

I'd go by with the UK and focus on the treatment of Indians during the Empire.

do spain over time. the moorish period, the reconquista, and modern day where they manage the basques, catalonia, etc (to a minor degree of success, as their recent politics would show us).

i know it wasn't a a modern "nation" back in the old days of the reconquista and shit, but there were still recognizable processes of nation building going on. 6 pages is nothing. good luck.

Turkey would be an interesting case. They went from an empire with multiple languages, ethnicities and cultures to a smaller state. Problem was how you could make this new state a nation. They had greeks, armenians, kurds and so on inside their boarders. Interesting stuff and enough material for 6 pages

Where did I fuck up user

I'm on 2 adderall and a cup of coffee

Pretty bad at history, what the fuck has France done?

Awesome, asians doing evil shit is always interesting. I wish we hadn't covered the rape of nanking in class because that would of been a great pick.

That seems interesting. Thanks user.

Thats a really good one but we covered it all this semester.

Sweet, thanks user

France is kind of the blueprint for successful nation building. It wasn't hardcore oppression like Brits did in Ireland, but France was originally made up of a multitude of very different ethnicities (including Breton Celts, Occitans, Basques, Catalans, Corsicans, Italians, Germans, Flemish...), and 150 years ago half the country didn't even speak French. Not only were all the regions of France united politically (the last civil war with ethnic undertones was the Religious War in the 16th century), but non-French identities were effectively erased, mostly through centralisation and the late 19th century school system.

That sounds great too. I can't decide if France seems great with them forcing assimilation but then I hear about French scholars all being marxists and the French being fags after getting attacked.

user where do you get most of your history knowledge from? Any podcast reccomendations?

Someone kind of already said it but the Malayan Emergency and the creation of the modern Malaysian nation I believe could work.

>Asians doing evil shit
Sorry to disappoint but it isn't that simple. Singapore and Malaysia are interesting examples in that they have distinct ethnic groups that co-exist peacefully, albeit with ongoing ingrained inequality and discrimination.

China is also a complex case because they have simultaneously attempted to marginalise and assimilate ethnic minorities (e.g. Tibetans, Uighurs), while also attempting to maintain the culture of more-compliant minorities (e.g. Miao) .

if you wanna shoot for multiple minorities, try Romania.
biggest percentage of minorities in Europe, after Switzerland.
Jews got opressed, killed some during WW2, then literally got sold to Israel(gave them Visas to Israel).
Saxons have been in Transylvania for 800 years, and another batch came from Ukraine and Russia, they sided with the romanians during the break-up of Austro-Hungary, then got mixed in with Hitler's autism, then got sold to West Germany, or left afterwards. One of them is now the president, though.
Ukraineans got romanised by force.
Lipovans are chill, so no one cares about them.
Hungarians are a subject unto themselves.
Bulgarians gradually absorbed.
Tatars got harrased during commie times so they wouldn't lobby for Tatarstan, so their muslim kin, the turks, covered them up by letting them call themselves turks on papers, but even after that stopped, they remained intermingled(to this day, their association uses the "turco-tatar" designation)
Aromanians were considered the romanians weird cousins, so they were used to colonise inner Dobrogea, and are considered a sorta semi-separate ethnicity within the romanian family to this day.
Everyone hates gypsies with burning hatred to this day.

Pic related, languages of France, everything outside of the part circled in red is languages that are completely different from French and mutually unintelligible. Though those languages are almost completely disappeared now.

This centralising assimilation logic was also applied to immigrants until recently btw.

Me from reading mostly.

biggest percentage before WW2, meant.

>Everyone hates gypsies with burning hatred to this day.

Yeah so is the hot gypsy thing bullshit?
Romania is also pretty good looking but somehow seems not that great.

I just think it's funny when I hear asians do evil shit because I never hear about it.

Regular books or a certain reading list or what user?

>never heard about it
How? If you are anglo there is Pearl Harbour, PW death camps, Tibet, South China Sea. If you are Asian your country is likely harbouring butthurt either from Japanese in the 30s/40s or the Chinese currently. I guess if you're a Yuro then maybe you don't hear about it so much.

>Ireland is a good one
It really isn't. The British never oppressed the Irish, they only ever oppressed Catholics. Plenty of Irish people converted to Protestantism and got to keep their position at the top of Irish society (the Guinness family, for example). Conversely, English Catholics got treated just as badly.

The Irish nationalists in the 19th century tried to reinterpret the old conflict as English vs. Irish rather than Catholic vs. Protestant because it was easier to make their side look sympathetic. See, the problem with describing English actions in Ireland as 'oppression' is that the English had damn good reasons to hate and fear the Catholics. For two hundred years the Catholics of Europe made a concerted effort to wipe England of the map simply for the crime of not bowing to the Pope. It's pretty legitimate to restrict Catholics from participating in government when they do things like try to blow Parliament to kingdom come. Also, England had an official, established state church, which had been a compromise in doctrines enforced on everyone to put an end to the fighting between Catholic sympathisers and hardline protestants. If it was treason for dissenting English protestant sects to refuse to join the Church of England, why should the government have gone easier on Irish Catholics?

Which is not to say that ethnicity didn't become entangled in the religious conflict. Given the close association of Irish with Catholic, it was natural for some English people to try to class the Irish as an inferior race. But that never really went mainstream, and as I said any Catholic Irish person could overcome to restrictions simply by converting to the Church of England.

the tl;dr being: the whole Irish-English thing was never primarily an ethnic conflict, and therefore is an unsuitable topic for you.

>Yeah so is the hot gypsy thing bullshit?
for the most part. You have some qt's, but a lot of them become fat and ugly when older.
>Romania is also pretty good looking but somehow seems not that great.
Eh, yeah. It's nothing spectacular, just lots of minorities doing some stuff.
If it helps, we were the first to grant armenians asylum, hours after they started getting into trouble in Turkey. Also, one of our most awesome bishops, that helped our culture was a georgian called Antim.

>If you are anglo there is Pearl Harbour, PW death camps, Tibet, South China Sea
Australians are the only ones who usually talk about Japanese atrocities against PoWs at length. In America most schools probably cover Pearl Harbour, internment of Japanese in the US, and the atom bomb. England barely covers the pacific war at all.

Only people who pay close attention to the news are going to know about tibet or the south china sea. Only a handful of hardcore hippies care about Tibet enough to know more than a basic summary. Mostly, chinese oppression isn't talked about because all the left in Anglo countries cares about is shitting on the west.

If you like Asian atrocities, OP you should either go for the Japanese conquest of the Ainu or, better still, the Chinese annihilation of the native Taiwanese. Most people don't even know that Chinese aren't native to Taiwan, let alone the history of their invasion and genocide of the native peoples.

Thanks Veeky Forums!

You guys were sweetheart.

I know this ones from Norway but not sure exactly where.

xoxoxo

stay /comfy/ Romanian and thanks for the info

Yeah, that is the problem I've found with it.

What about the suppression of Gaelic culture? Protestants converts did not tend to stay Gaelic.

>Where did I fuck up user

>/his
>a long
>there nation
>I need to right 6 pages