lemmyrodul.com
dropbox.com/s/3gzik00dzzkmfev/perlin map with trees.png?dl=0
dropbox.com/s/arwjjotyb8b4n2y/perlin map with trees n stuff.webm?dl=0
machinimasboc.com/sboclight-on-whimp-the-bold/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Finally a new thread.

nth for gogem!

dude i'm really fucking tired of this i need to be able to post images

watch this new slime rancher post mortem to pass the time until you can shitpost, lots of good info on gamedev in general (i actually saw this on /r/gamedev)
youtube.com/watch?v=gyDOrNbvFN8

imgur.com/a/wNtHu

1-4 horror
5-9 dark souls inspired game
0 wildcard

one last shill

projectabel.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/ProjectAbelGame?lang=en

Any general tips for social media? How many posts a day is too much?

heres another good gdc video

gdcvault.com/play/1017660/Technical-Artist-Bootcamp-The-VFX

You gotta use #tags

>starting a new game, better get the menus out of the way!
>user game settings, that's all straightforward enough
>realize there's no facility to modify and save keybindings and mouse sensitivity from blueprints
retarded shit like this, combined with the frequent API changes, lead me to believe that UE4 is not a finished product

Just post whenever you have something cool to show.

>starting a new game, better get the menus out of the way!
Nigga what

This and the lack of gamepad support for UMG are my two biggest problems with UE4.

I dropped gamepad support for my game in general because manually setting up every button selection was a disaster.

>watch an hour long video about some obvious mistakes some guy made instead of doing something productive and useful for your project
no wonder some of you are slow as shit

See this is more like it. Fucking grafix. Everyone loves grafix.

I know you can't change keybindings and that's fucking preposterous, but there's a variable in player controllers for mouse sensivity, that scales the input added from Add Pitch/Yaw/Roll control rotation.

There's nothing more fun than creating your game with placeholder keyboard controls and then realising you'll have to create all the menus and shit around the game scene

Gamepad support I agree is a bitch, but keyrebinding only needs some basic C++ functions

If big name studios and companies spend millions to market their game so it can get noticed, how do successful indie devs get rich?

/v/ says that the undertale guy came at the right time because that one meme comic (whose name I forgot) ended right when it released

Yet notch, and the guy behind Five nights of Freddy, Hipster whale, Rovio, supercell, and many others got a big hit from little marketing

How is this even possible? Please don't say Reddit, browsing there I've seen indie devs beg ledditors to play their game and their threads are always fucking empty

Someone please explain this to me or is this some phenomena people here don't even understand as well?

It's even worse in Unity. Have fun having your entire binding setup disappear or get mapped to a different controller entirely if another person wants to drop in or drop out.

Huh?

test

memes are marketing
undertale ? it's filled with memes
five guys at freddy's ? it's streamer bait, which is a meme
minecraft ? it's computer lego, why wouldn't that work ?

Big budget marketing is about forcing people to care about your game, you don't need that if your game is already interesting to people.

>but there's a variable in player controllers for mouse sensivity, that scales the input added from Add Pitch/Yaw/Roll control rotation.
then i'd have to stick that in a savegame to have it persistent. i'll just expose some C++ functions to blueprint to modify these options.

frankly i wish this engine had quake 3's cvar system. console variables marked with the "archived" flag get saved to and loaded from the config. the config is entirely console variables. nice and elegant, nice and easy.

i swear elegance is a foreign concept to epic. in every feature there's always some bullshit inconsistency that defies justification. bad design everywhere.

You can write to configs pretty easily

notch posted his game on /v/ and they took it from there

Godot has seamless gamepad support for all relevant APIs.

There isn't a single reason that these games became popular.

Minecraft was a slow burn that became successful due to people sharing their creations online.

FNAF had an interesting yet simple concept (being hunted by Chucky Cheese-esq animatronics) that let's players could exploit in thumbnails/video titles.

Super Meat Boy and Fez were among the first XBLA titles.

>browsing there I've seen indie devs beg ledditors to play their game and their threads are always fucking empty
those games are shit buddy

HASHTAGS
ASHTAGS
SHTAGS
HTAGS
TAGS
AGS
GS
S

>have good game
>tell a few people about it
>it's good
>they tell their friends to check it out because friends have similar interests generally
>what is logarithmic growth

>tfw contemplating making a mobile game just so I have something fun for myself to play when I'm away from home
Is it worth it, bros?

Took you long enough, faget.

Slow progress but scoring system is now ingame.
Loyalty is your performance towards the state.
Low loyalty means you're bad and you'll be executed, too high loyalty means you're a spy and you'll be executed.

>I'm an expert that knows everything and doesn't have anything anyone can teach me

I'd rather get taught about conceptualizing visual effects from a guy working at one of the biggest videogame studios than hear about how a nobody failed.
You know, priorities.

fucking gook moot, I can't upload files!

but they didn't fail, they're very successful

Guys, I'm searching for a laptop, I've got about $500 to play with, but I can go a little bit over if needed.

What are your recs and what do you use at the moment?
Something with a long battery life and decent storage is what I think I'm aiming at

Posting is a privilege, user. :^)

For $500?

If you're looking for cheap yet decent laptops I always recommend Thinkpads. The keyboard is awesome, and that's what you should care most about as a dev.

Wait I thought post-mortems were about failures ? My bad.

>took GDC a year to upload this
I fuckin hate GDC

>post-mortems were about failures ?
Nope. They are retrospects about finished products and their development.

Any chance you live in michigan, user?

Chinkpad

Sadly no, just a poorfag Virginian college student

>mobile games
>fun

pffft ahahahahhaha

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Cash Sample
Dev: SlowDancer
Tools: RPG Maker MV, Photofiltre, Cubase 8, Internet, Water
Web: lemmyrodul.com
Progress:
+ Reworked the looted items system
+ Interface work
+ Prototyped Loading Screen
+ Some items art
+ New item category dev tool w/Magnus
+ Progressed on the Website w/Magnus

That's why I want to make my own, so I can actually make one I think is fun.

Well at least the vfx conference is great, if it wasn't I'd really feel like a complete idiot now.

make me a mobile version of catherine

All the popular ones are, because who wants to listen to someone talk about how cool they are for an hour.

I enjoy playing Picross Lucy.

are u a girl?

yes

There's this mobile game series I used to play called destroy gunner.
It's a poor man's armored core but it was pretty fun to play on the occasion that I had nothing else to do while travelling.

Little progress post:
Currently working on procedural map generation. So far nothing special, perlin noise for map surface and another noise for creating some structures in the ground (like, dunno, earth, sand, clay). Instead of playing around with noise parameters for the next days I decided to leave it at that for the time being and make the surface look more interesting. Added a grass layer and put some trees on top of it, and some plants. None of that is functional yet, all just built from blocks you can dig away.

Dunno where to go next. I want more stuff on the surface, generated buildings for example. And it's getting time to add stuff that you can pick up, so that it starts to become a game rather than a map editor.

Just realized that we still can't post images or webms, well fuck that shit. Gonna repost later.

I like Cat Busters, but I don't know Japanese.

I have the most AMAZING progress to show, lemme just upload the pic here...

There's dropbox and other sites where you can show us your stuff, you know?

Like here:
dropbox.com/s/3gzik00dzzkmfev/perlin map with trees.png?dl=0

Anyone made a game about a guy losing all of his money on Bitcoin yet?

or here
dropbox.com/s/arwjjotyb8b4n2y/perlin map with trees n stuff.webm?dl=0

That sounds perfect for an angrybird-tier phonegame

((()))

look I'm famous

machinimasboc.com/sboclight-on-whimp-the-bold/

>namedropping Monolith
You're a good guy.

FUCKEN NICE

>machinimasboc.com/sboclight-on-whimp-the-bold/

Congrats. And the game looks great, bro.

>tfw your game is getting a little too kino and you can't stop fawning over it

Post some screenshots.

i wish i was a man of focus

don't be a man of too much focus though, otherwise you end up skipping meals or missing classes

*encouraging reaction image*

Git please stop literally raping my source code. You were supposed to protect me.

>spends this much time masturbating to his own unfinished sketch of a game for some random nobody's blog post
think of how much gamedev you could've been doing instead
your kirby wannabe's flatulence could've been solved in that time

just get a macbook and bootcamp windows on it, seriously every fucking windows laptop is garbage with horrible quality control. i can't think of one that is worth the asking price. at least if an apple product breaks you can walk into the store and leave with a replacement right away

Fuck off, Applefag.

>giving money to apple
Gross.

thanks!
I saw my opportunity to strike and I took it
Youre right, next time a game journalist gets in touch wanting an interview I'll say "sorry I have to touch up my dust sprite, get the next guy." You're right that my game is super unfinished, but an opportunity is an opportunity

>can't refute it
i give money to whoever can build a product that's worth the money

What's an efficient algorithm for generating non-uniformly in a grid?

Ideally say an arbitrary sized grid where you go like (3x3 example):
etc

>a product that's worth the money

That's the point.

Hey agdg here is another look at my unity stats

wut?

like in a criss cross pattern or something instead of 0...x, 0...y

This looks much better.

oh no look at all those useless tris

If you want to get some bile out of your system at least attack a whiny nodev or something.

Damn, good job! I don't know why but I could not resist and smiled when you mentioned monolith. It just gave me some warm feeling inside.
How do you find time to study and make games? I've just started studying CS/IT and it can be overwhelming

I feel a side project burning inside me

help

Noice

those are looking good

user, he is the whiny nodev

Monolith succeeding is all I want. And yeah, making games while in school is tough, especially because making progress doesn't feel like procrastination from studying. Just give everything the time it needs, if you need to take a week to study for a big exam and not dev then that 's what you have to do. I'm also trying to be better about separating them mentally, creating separate times and places for devving and school work

Unrelated Biology/Geology student here. You've gotta make full use of your free time. So you might need to work around your uni's shitty timetable, if you need to commute a long time, I'd say it's useless to work gamedev during the pauses, rather try to summarize some school stuff. That also means not spending as much time on leisure, like playing videogames or going out, during week ends I can spend up to ten hours a day on gamedev.
Also scope your game accordingly, and don't hate yourself for not having time to dev. Sometimes it's just not possible and it's better to leave the project lying around to get fresh ideas when you come back, rather than half assing some new features.

hey will you need your game translated to some third world language like polish for free? I'm bored and you seem like a nice guy.

Still no clue what you're talking about. Show us a picture.

his game doesn't look like it will need any text

It works! I don't know why but it does!