Were dinosaurs intelligent?

Were dinosaurs intelligent?

A lot of them were really big, and reptiles can be pretty smart. I imagine given the extreme biodiversity, warmth, and hyper-oxygenation of the Jurassic period must have had striking returns.

Intelligent enough to have organized social structures, why not intelligent enough to fight wars? Massive dinosaur wars even. They could show it on the history channel.

Other urls found in this thread:

genesispark.com/exhibits/evidence/historical/dragons/
youtube.com/watch?v=niDCq3TbvOo
youtube.com/watch?v=W6M1b36KbHs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

ever heard of elephant wars? or whale wars? they weren't intelligent enough to make wars but wise enough not to. we're the only species really stupid enough to constantly engage in wars, usually for very mundane reasons.

I'm not an elephant. I do know that over time, we discover that intelligent animals do kill each other for abstract reasons, like future food resources. It was a shock when we discovered that chimps and dolphins do it, it shouldn't be a shock now that we know gorillas also go to war, and now that we know bull elephants are interested in revenge.

They could have reached a stone or even iron age and not have left anything we're likely to find.

no dude listen

What if dinosaurs were smarter than we give them credit for?

Elephants and whales might be less intelligent than some dinosaurs. Dolphins and chimpanzees have been documented repeatedly engaging in organized rape and murder campaigns, which is pretty close to war imo.

Suppose some dinosaurs are smarter than dolphins/chimps, adjust projected behavior patterns for scale.

they can't make fire without """opposable thumbs""" unless they are much, much smarter than us and have high technology. Which I doubt.

That's not really war. Also, I refuse to believe youre not an elephant.

"What if dinosaurs were smarter than we give them credit for?"
Possible but unlikely. The more intelligent of other animals aren't due to their size, but maybe dinosaurs were an exception with enormous brains, capable of at least some form of forethought or planning, even though I don't think they were.

"Dolphins and chimpanzees have been documented repeatedly engaging in organized rape and murder campaigns"
LOL, I laughed out loud at this.

Suppose some dinosaurs are smarter than dolphins/chimps, adjust projected behavior patterns for scale.

Maybe but I don't think they were, simply because animal size doesnt correspond to intelligence, as whales arent smarter than dolphins.

Dinosaur is a very broad term.
Maybe a particular species could have evolved the way we evolved, also, you don't see dolphins splitting atoms.

However, something that to me seems more realistic, and frighting at the same time are insects. Just look a bees and ants. I find insects really disgusting, even tho i like bees, they still look weird.

I believe all animals are more intelligent than we give them credit for.

listen dude the only reason they could get so big is cause of all the goddamn oxygen. The brain does well on blood and oxygen.

Maybe the really smart ones weren't the behemoths.

dude..like..humans arent two like or four times or ten times smarter than other animals. we're much much more smarter. look what we're doing right now, typing out on a computer, a far cry from any other animal. and our brains aren't much bigger or more oxygen-demanding than our more stupid cousins they apes. i think those dinos were just like really dumb like all animals..dude...

The reason they got so big is they don't stop growing, and things back then lived much longer, and under more favorable conditions.

I'm not saying some dinosaurs were smarter than the average modern human. You don't need to have IQ 100 to engage in group violence and war you know.

I'm saying they could have been at one point, some of them might have been intelligent enough, in the right environment, and with the numbers needed for these behaviors to emerge as a viable survival/reproductive strategy, given is the collective realization necessary for it's implementation.

>things back then lived much longer, and under more favorable conditions

This is an argument for the development of trait intelligence in stable populations.

they were not smarter than modern reptiles but not dumber, also their brains were really tiny for such a big body mass

yes but the same can be said for foxes, cheetahs, deer, penguins, but ive never seen a war with those. wat i mean is ther eis no reason to believe dinosaurs were smarter than modern aves like crows or sparrows.

>to believe dinosaurs were smarter than modern aves like crows or sparrows

literally their environment seems to be perfect for the development of intelligence.

You seem to assume they couldn't have been.

Crows are among the most intelligent of the avians. You've never seen groups of crows fighting with each other? You really think all dinosaurs were dumber than fucking crows?

In what ways?

Our 'walking' routine is about four or ten times smarter than cattles?

It's probably the exoskeleton

If they were they didn't leave anything behind.

Sounds exactly like what an elephant would say.

Were Dinosaurs intelligent?
The predators were decently smart, "clever girls" one might say but the behemoths they were tracking down and feasting on were not smart. Most of the Herbivores of the period had tiny little craniums; they were little more than giant cows. If you didn't need to be very smart to get your food then evolution would favour the stronger and faster beasts that could acquire more/better food in the highest quantity. That explains why Herbivores were dumb (way more plants than they could ever eat) and why the most successful Predators would've been the biggest hunks of jaw and leg muscles (T-Rex and his long list of cousins).

Dinosaurs are more closely related to birds than to reptiles, so if anything your best bet would be to consider bird intelligence. Some of them, especially parrots and
corvids, are pretty damn clever. I can imagine that some of the more social dinosaur species could have been quite intelligent.

Dinosaur "wars" or organized dinosaur societies though? That's silly.

>organized dinosaur societies
>silly

you don't even know the diplodocus dude

To what extent were they able to communicate with each other?

/an/ will be happy to answer your questions about dinosaurs
This isn't really the place to do that

Veeky Forums is a better place to talk about intelligence and human ignorance of the past.

Tar is a black mixture of hydrocarbons and free carbon obtained from a wide variety of organic materials through destructive distillation. Dinosaurs dying in the same spot, over and over again for millions of years until the ground bubbles up with the tar of a million generations and swallows them whole. They continue to return to this place. Why?

It is ritual ground, a primordial battlefield or graveyard. They are driven by ancient memory, unless my geology is mistaken.

genesispark.com/exhibits/evidence/historical/dragons/
youtube.com/watch?v=niDCq3TbvOo
youtube.com/watch?v=W6M1b36KbHs

Dinosaurs lived with man. Too much evidence.

The fresh T-Rex tissue was the nail in the coffin for the "millions of years ago!" myth.

blasphemy

dinosaurs and man coexisted
dinosaurs were on the ark with noah

LOL @ 12:44 Forbidden History