/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Embarking edition

Previous thread
PLEASE NOTE: Dwarf Fortress has just received an update. If you play the newest version (44.05), be prepared for plentiful bugs and crashes. Do not complain about your bugs and crashes here, report them here: bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.05.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack (Alpha 44.05, expect bugs):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164123
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455

>Starter Pack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=6378
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Consolidated_development
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3027
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for myth and magic when

I require more 7 dwarf lineup photos.

The tinder of the torch shuddered into the shape of life with the breath of her song on the rim of the glass. Cheeks and eyes were defined, the face and smile of the elf speaking their way out of the dark and rain beneath the hut’s awning. She’d pulled her hood back. The child, already given form by the light out of the window, stared for a moment and returned the expression.

Child.
Hello, miss elf.
This is an interesting torch you have.
My papa makes them.
It is very beautiful.
I like the way the light reflects.
Through it.
Yes. Through it.
Is your father here right now?
Yes.
May I speak with him?

The child slipped back through the window into the glow of the hut’s lights. The door spilled out a shadow of a man whose countenance was invisible yet certainly judgemental. Well what is it, he asked. She explained that she was a traveler weary from the road. He stepped aside and allowed her through.

Food and water and fire all were placed on a low table, and no questions were asked and no concerns brooked until she was fed and at peace with them. The man’s eyes flicked to the montante wrapped in rags, but she had placed it aside. And certainly those dark beads buried in his visage probed for knives and other implements, but she exhibited no threat.

She asked about the glass scattered and shelved around the hut, pounding the light from the kiln back and through. He said it was a trade and nothing more, items to sell for food to passing caravans.

He did not take her name or purpose. In peaceful silence she smiled and combed back a black lock behind a long ear and asked where she might sleep. He pointed to a an empty space that approximated a corner. And so she laid out a bedroll and set to cleaning the blade and watching the man return to the molding and shaping and laying of glass. The child sat next to her.

I used google for you, user.

If the fantastic races dev or any players of the mod are here, felyr mummies can perform labors like trolls can, right?

Keep them coming. I'm now compiling a gallery for future dumping.

something about this feels kinda fucked up

Has toady said anything about his endgame in terms of how complex the AI will be? Or is he just focusing on these individual subsystems and we will have to wait and see how shit all turns out interacting with each other?

these dorfs were one man short, so they had to bring an ooman

Hmmmm, fuck you too, google, you benignly evil overlord bastards. Killing the best captcha? Dicks.

Is the chink even a dwarf?

without a doubt. look at the ankles.

Second for myth and magic when. First for I wish myth and magic was out. First on I wish toady would do an fps rewrite.

>make a world with the Spellcrafts mod
>be dickbag wizard on a quest for power
>kill people and steal their magic to grow stronger
>have an apprentice to watch my back
>he starts causing trouble with his spellslinging (aka aggroing shit that don't need to be aggroed)
>polymorph him into a Floating Guts and burn him alive
>solo wizard now
>finally strong enough to break into a tower
>sneak in and read the slab, gaining the power to summon iron elementals
>I have now becoming a living demigod, my dream is realized after so many deaths
>am ambushed by night creatures
>Oh what's this? "Summon elemental without a corpse?" I'll cast that.
>Cast it on myself
>mistake.jpeg
>the spell was meant to horribly murder other people to *create* a corpse to summon from, not to be caste on the user
>pic happens
>turn myself into a tortured abomination of a human being that can't even talk or caste spells
>can't even polymorph myself into a monster to escape the torment
>still alive somehow though
>am now a magic-less hermit wandering the wilds in constant horrific pain with my thoughts twisted beyond all human understanding

Fucking Dwarf Fortress

link mod

dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=6378

Spellcrafts is cool. I should mod it back in.

The polymorph spells are pretty fun. I love using the kobold one. Also, I wish it was easier to mix and match mods. Sometimes it gets annoying fiddling with the raws to try and get shit to not crash.

>those two dwarves (female) on the right
i'd strike their earths if you catch my drift

Having an issue with Azothumstiz "Immortalitysizzled", my yak cow. She kept genociding all the dogs in my pen to the point where I had to build a new one for them. She doesn't mind cats though. Also she killed a dwarf. She's unbutcherable and has covered my pen with the blood of her enemies. Did she go berserk?

I'm partial to miss piggy second from the left, myself.

An artifact with an almost appropriate name. How novel.

Is Relicwebs in the east, or relatively east of your civ?

Yes. Far southeast of all the rest of the world's dwarves.

Why don't we have a /dfg/ world? Not a succession fort. Just a save of a world where everyone explores it and stuff. It'd be like having a bunch of parallel worlds existing at once.

For posterity, I have figured out the answer is yes, and that they eat and drink and have depleted my entire food and booze storage.

I think this was proposed when succession games were getting discussed. I'd be down, but consider also that we might run out of things to do fast with everybody searching for secrets at once.

I'm not gonna image dump but you guys should unironically look up world dwarf games.

>The wheels of apple was a performance troupe formed in 20 by Idrom Koshmotmezum

It's a fitting end to your adventurer, really.

Tileset is that, nibba?

Not him but that's raving, I've only ever seen it posted here on /dfg/. I don't recognize the color set.

Oh totally it was a wild ride from start to finish and I regret nothing.

Yeah, it's , but the dwarf is CLA. Color scheme is a tweak of vherid dark sand.

guys how do I make water work for me
I'm retarded and never get my hospital up and running well because I'm too dumb to figure out how to get clean water

embark near a river or breach the caverns

using pumps is cheating

*dorf mcuristard gets clean water for dorfie mcstabber in the hospital*
*dorf mcuristard drowns*
*dorf mcuristard jr. finds dorf mcuristards dead body*

Is there a way to forbid certain eggs from being cooked? I'm playing an egg-laying race in fort mode and they keep frying up their own children.

I like when you set a barracks near a river or ocean and they spar and dodge into the water and die. That's fun.

yes

Oh I see now. Weird, the eggs didn't show up in the right kitchen tab as an option the last time I was there. I guess I was just unlucky enough to check the inventory right when they ran out.

Even if you forbid from cooking in the kitchen menu they'll still be gathered, which prevents them from hatching. You need to link your food stockpiles to your kitchens and then change the stockpile settings to disallow those eggs.

Ok, I think I got it. I guess we'll see what happens now.

bump

Build a well over running water and build buckets

Ok well it seems the problem here is that the mothers incubating the eggs keep getting off of them to get food.

Have the reputation bugs in Adventure Mode been fixed?

make the eggs hatch faster

>I have no mouth and I must attack the gazebo in the darkness bef--
>You have been eaten by a Grue.

Yes.

booting up for the very first time lads

The wiki is your friend.

Oh sorry, I didn't see your comment. Yeah they can do labor and despite the name, are in fact mostly organic.

Lore-wise they are descended from a clan of Felyr loyalists who fought the current government in ancient history. Their intelligence was stunted by malnourishment and lead poisoning, but are kept alive and obedient thanks to necromantic energies. Not the brightest bunch but they make a great exploitable underclass.

does walking through mist appear in thoughts?
it's hard to tell for me when the thoughts screen is filled with dead goblins
this is my first time trying to make mist

>speed 10.0
What?

He cheated

Could you share it, please?

It should.

Oh, what a gay.
You gotta go fast with your own feet.

>Has toady said anything about his endgame in terms of how complex the AI will be?

The original dwarf fortress "Development" page used to have a huge (HUGE) list of goals that the "story generator" aspect of the game would accomplish.
The redesign of the site removed the page, but as always, the wiki is there to deliver and satisfy all your DF needs:

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Consolidated_development

> how complex?
everything on that list

and the best part is, some of those power goals which seemed so lofty long ago can actually be done now.

Hey, wait a second, what's this?

>Req542
> NOBLE QUEUE ISSUES (Future)
>The queue for meetings is updated sort of haphazardly. It could afford to be more organized.

bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3027

goddamnit Toady

My little cripple keeps churning out those books as he crawls around the library :')

>using pumps is cheating
why would you think that?
pumps, pressure and accidental flooding is pure dwarven engineering and should be embraced as such

i really don't understand how people think that graphic tilesets are more easily understandable than ascii tilesets, this looks pretty chaotic to me anyway sorry to be that retard complaining about tilesets again

>finally try adventure mode seriously
>spend like 30 minutes just trying to understand inventory and equipping items
>travel a bit
>end up in some house in the woods
>everybody inside is a criminal apparently, but they're nice and polite
>announce to everyone how merriment is worthless
>sleep in the house until dawn
>everyone asleep, decide to try the combat system on them
>kill every one of them using different ways
>loot everything, now fully armored in iron and bronze except for my right hand
>find boning knife, discover that human corpses can be butchered, gather all their skulls for some unknown edgy reason
>fast travel
>ambushed by 5 wolves
>spend 15 minutes mostly dodging without hurting any of them or getting hurt
>i collapse from over exertion
>a chubby wolf latches onto my unarmored hand and rips it off
>on my knees, weaponless, i start throwing human skulls to the wolves
>kill one
>a wolf latches on to my head and shakes me around
>does this for a while
>wolf collapses from over exertion
>another wolf continues shaking me around by the head
>i eventually bleed to death
adventure mode is more fun than i expected, should have given it a serious go before that.

Early on it's better that you go for easy or easier strikes. Even if your skills are shit you should be able to beat up a wolf.
Wolves are agressive animals so if you can't beat them avoid them, there aren't that many predators in game though. Even bears are friendly. I personally only remember alligators and wolves attacking out of nowhere.

Is there any 3rd party mod that somehow makes announcements less of a clusterfuck? Like in a different window or something?
Oh, and that works with the latest release?

Thanks for the info.
My second adventurer just got surrounded by incessant cacking and was torn to pieces by bogeymen.
Is there anyway to know if I'm carrying to much stuff other than my speed?
I was only wearing armor and carrying one weapon/shield and I was running at like 0.6.
Does speed also depend on how tired/hungry/thirsty I am?

I don't think thats really possible, even with DFhack.

Other than speed, not any way to know how overencumbered you are.
If your character is really hungry and/or thirsty then yes, their speed will also drop.
I recommend using advanced worldgen to remove bogeymen as well. No reason to have them around.

i find graphic tilesets are easier when using multi z-level view

I remember using this
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=153777.0

But it looks like it's missing from the latest starter pack. It's been a LOOONG time since I played.
I'll try to use it on the latest version. Hope it works.

The base speed is 1.0. If you're carrying too much you'll slow down, if you're carrying less than you can carry you can run and sprint faster.
The effect of carrying too much stuff is lower movement speed and I'm not sure if it affects combat, I've heard mixed responses from people and haven't noted a difference.
Being thirsty makes you worse at combat and you can die of dehydration, being tired makes you a lot worse in combat and you move slower. You can also get over-exerted which is beyond tired and makes you fall to the ground, move even slower and it means you'll probably lose your fight. I'm not sure about hunger either but you can die of starvation.
Falling to the ground is something you should cause on others and avoid at all costs, because when something is on the ground the attacks they receive have 2x the momentum while theirs have 0.5x the momentum. It's very useful.

Thank my men.

>I recommend using advanced worldgen to remove bogeymen as well
I'll definitely do that.

So I only have 4 survivors in my 73 year old fort as they all died to some forgotten beast and lava fun. My civ is dead so I won't get any migrants and my surviving 4 dwarves are all vampire necromancers. Shall I just retire or keep going?
I suppose I don't have to worry about food anymore.

Without boogeymen the night is too safe.
You just have to travel with 1 companion or not at all in the night and you're safe.
Either way later in the game you'll be able to kill boogeymen.

on the brightside, your fps probably improved slightly

Don't revived dead bodies attack dwarves regardless if the dwarves are vampires or necromancers in fortress mode?
Either way if you have autism just keep playing and let them make babies.

I'm a newb and I found a neat volcano location for the first time, but I have no water source there, although I have trees.
How to deal with this? Just embarked by the way.

The zombies are actually quite docile, they won't attack necromancers unless attacked themself and the necromancers only attack them if the undead try to kill your living dwarves. So it will be fine as long all your dwarves are necromancers.
Also necromancers can't make babies.

Main issue is that early game they're utterly ridiculous, even as a demigod adventurer.

They have higher innate combat skills than night trolls or megabeasts, and show up in large groups, on top of potentially being the first thing you face. I know Toady doesn't do balance but its rather stupid that these things are better fighters than fucking dragons or minotaurs. Their attacks also wind up and recover faster like other procedural creatures (normal creatures have 3:3 prepare/recovery time for most attacks, bogeys and other procedural creatures have 2:2).

Sure companions ward them off, but if you want to go solo its pretty unfun; it only takes a single pack of giant dingoes or wolves to kill your companion as well, at which point if you aren't anywhere close to civilization you're fucked (unless you're legendary in combat, but at that point the entire game is trivialized anyway).

Tbh I hope magic release revamps them to only show up if you're cursed by someone; and also mostly there to prevent you from sleeping rather than outright murdering you. They're really pointless and unfun right now, even if I like the idea behind them.

breach the caverns ASAP

I thought about that. Hope there are no monsters around.

What you can do is breach them then wall it off. Mine to where water is, make a channel that leads to fortifications to filter the water from bad guys. wall off the top and make a well. It's what i do though I have a door to the caverns.

Thank you!

np
here's my current fortress setup. the fortifications are flooded so they're not visible in the lower layer screen but they're there.

in adventure mode, is there any way to like remove my opponent's armor while i'm fighting?
if i stun him or something, can't i grab his helmet and take it off?
i wrestled head with my empty hand and tried a couple of things but couldn't find anything.

wrestle

grab inventory item

(I)nteract with it

take possession

If the creature is bigger than you or you have below Grand Master Wrestling it probably won't work anyway

> grand master wrestling
actually if the opponent is unconcious their skill roll is effectively zero, so any attack on them in that state results in a successful attack/wrestle-grab (except you gain no skill from it)

Also make sure your hand is free, you can only grasp things with a free hand. You can't take possession of someone's helmet with your upper arm, only your hand.
Here's another piece of advice: If you grab your foe's weapon they're prevented from using it. And you can use anything, if you grab someone's spear with your lower left arm they'll be unable to use the spear. They'll still be able to parry, though.

wrestling+kicker is an extremely potent combination

I just grab the weapon in one hand, strip their head armor with the other, and kick them in the head once.
>you kick the elf in the head and the part explodes in a shower of gore!

Sorry, went to bed and now at work. I can but it will be a while.

Will try on a future character.
Currently trying to heal the infections on this guy and find a werebeast, the permanent wounds are getting out of hand.
I currently play as a walking human mass of mail shirts with a two handed sword. I want to be able to separate upper torsos from lower torsos.

>liquid depth off