Veeky Forumstorical tourism

What are some historical sites you've visited or are planning to visit? How was your experience? Any advice for future travelers?

Barely traveled poorfag here, pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QpbPcosXO-4
tantalusreborn.com/2015/12/28/phantom-gunman/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I spent two months backpacking Europe. If you want to try something really cheap, look into a hike called "El Camino de Santiago." It's a "religious" journey that starts in southern France, and through northern Spain. You'll walk through a lot of old Spanish towns. You'll see tons of Churches, one or two castles, and a ton of other historic buildings/sites. You'll also meet tons of travelers from around the world. The best part about it is that it's super cheap. I spent the month crossing, and liberally spent maybe $1,500 total.

Its pretty depressing, visiting China, and realizing literally none of the """"ancient"""" buildings you're visiting are actually original. Basically all of it is a modern facade, less than 100 years old.

Sounds cool, the way of st james has always been one of my dream trips. Im not even religious, I just like comfy old towns and churches, plus I like France and Spain in general. Good to know its cheap.

Seconding first user. The Camino is a very good trip if you're interested in history. Not only do you get to see a bunch of cool historical sites (including small town, which lots of people ignore), but you get to participate in a historical activity. Plus, there are lots of other cool aspects. It's a great experience overall.

And it is pretty cheap. I spent less than $30 a day when I did it.

I'm saving up to go to St. Helena and visit Napoleon's prison, but it's really hard to get there.
You gotta catch an RAF cargo plane to the military base at Ascension Island, then board a mail ship for the rest of the journey. Each only makes the journey about once a month

I went to Machu Picchu while I was staying in Peru.
As I was there pretty early, I could see the sun rise over the mountains, which was pretty neat. But shortly after it gets so crowded that you have to line up in order to get anywhere. Kind of felt like I was in Disneyland and I'm afraid that most famous historical sites are like this.

Went to Stone Mountain GA once

Paraguay, go looking for the remnants of Nazi immigration and maybe even bang Hitler's great granddaughter, all for under 20$ a day.

youtube.com/watch?v=QpbPcosXO-4

Visited the grave of the 47 ronin in Tokyo.
Lil hid away peaceful shrine and grave site full of Veeky Forums dopeness

The State Hermitage and the Mikhailovsky Palace (Russian Museum) in St Petersburg blew my mind tbqh

Planing to visit Carcassonne some day and eat delicious cassoulet.

>road bike
>cycle around southern france
>visit chateaus and wineries
>eat delicious cassoulet

If you're journeying to the South of France, and Carcassonne particularly, you'd be doin yourself a huge disfavour to not beeze by Aix-en-Provence too.

Cutest town of all of France. And as it seems you're crazed about castles, the château de Grignan nearby is an adorable castle.

I've been fortunate to travel a lot. It's not as expensive as you might think if you're willing to make some sacrifices. For example, you might have to slum it but if you're interested in the experiences then it doesn't matter. Most people think that one can only travel in luxury or it's not worth it.. This article explains it in depth:

tantalusreborn.com/2015/12/28/phantom-gunman/

One of the absolute best places for travel, if you're interested in Ancient Rome is Turkey. There's entire cities that are completely unscathed and empty. Well worth the visit!

>Harpers Ferry
>Gettysburg
>Antietam
>Williamsburg
>Jamestown
>Valley Forge
>Fort William Henry

North east fag so i visit alot of these places

I pretty much take a pilgrimage to gettysburg every year

I was in Istanbul a couple years back, so went to the Hagia Sophia. Sadly I was being an idiot and lots of my pictures are blurry.

Got to see the Theodosian walls, Topkapi, Galata Kulesi and Kapali Carsi too.

I went to Moscow last summer.

There are lots of great museums and historically relevant places there. I'm hoping to go to St. Petersburg next time while I still have my visa.

Funny you mention that, my best friend was there in Summer and my brother visited at the start of the year. I hope to go over myself someday because from the sounds of it, it's really nice.

Couldn't resist finding this piece of graffiti.

I'd definitely recommend it. I'm American and I had no trouble getting a visa and no one held any prejudice against me while I was there.

One downside is that not many people speak English there, except for maybe some young people but it tends to not be very good.

Went to the St Catherine's Monastery in Sinai, Egypt, where Moses saw the burning bush and Mohammed gave it special dispensation to avoid persecution. It's probably the most out the way place i've been. Lots of ultra-religious Africans there on pilgrimage. It's a 5th century AD structure.

If you can speak German, it's often far more useful than English. If you speak English and German you're golden most of the time.

Istambul is a shithole.The turks are literally subhuman

That's true. Thankfully I was visiting a native speaker and know a bit of Russian myself so I didn't have much of a problem.

I was in Honduras a couple of years ago and I visited some Mayan ruins. It was pretty cool, but I wasn't too interested in history back then.