/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

I've made like 6 of these in a row somebody else do it fuck edition
Previous dod: The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.
Whether or not a game belongs in /egg/ is a case by case matter, however games that would belong in /svgg/, space voxel games general, are automatically considered /egg/

WebM for physicians:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Algodoo
>Avorion
>Besiege
>Chode - Children of a Dead Earth
>Corneroids
>Crossout
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival
>Factorio
>From the Depths
>GearBlocks
>Garry's mod
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Infinifactory
>Intersteller Rift
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Machinecraft
>Opus Magnum
>REM
>Robocraft
>Robot Arena
>Scrap Mechanic
>SHENZEN I/O
>Space Engineers
>SpaceChem
>StarMaden b
>Stormworks
>Skywanderers
>TerraTech

Games that are definitely not /egg/:
>Minecraft
>The general that quite literally cannot be named.The Mexican scam artist one. With the shitposters. Fuck off.
>underageb& who won't use the search function and also won't read where are they posting

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames
fromthedepthsgame.com

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Warbros Serb rides in CLANGhalla eternal, shiny and chrome

Other urls found in this thread:

mpg.de/943613/S003_Flashback_060_061.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Tiger_(2012_film)
drive.google.com/uc?id=1U0rIAsx1TgJImRMRksUSzsLLEY_JusTD&export=download
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>factorio_robot_cheating.gif

Automated rail layers is the future.

pew pew

Now put it in space and we can remake Legend of Galactic Heroes in FTD

Man i guess calculating all the ratios & ingredients before trying to shove it all together would help huh !

>The virgin planner vs the Chad Spaghetti

It's definitely do-able but it would take some serious time and nigger rigging to fit enough lift jets and ion thrusters in the hull. The next ship might be space capable but it's never going to be as good as something designed with orbital bombardment in mind from the start.

If guns that can shoot horizontally and vertically ever became relevant in space I might revisit the space conversion.

FIRST FOR ENGINEERING

Maybe they did use them, considering how many times I had to beat up those guys who thought they were invisible

Those guys were fucking genius

How many guns? Would you say... 10 million?

>schema pulling through with the changes to starmade nobody wanted
>forum in flames
>community managers busy wanking off to their "official builds"
>which will surely become obsolete in no time
>starmade hasn't improved a bit in the ~5 years we've played it, besides high res textures and slightly shinier shaders
>still just a soulless barely playable tech demo for all intents and purposes
>schema can't handle the heat
>literally closes down the official forums

that's it for starmade. RIP. i had some nice memories of space voxel games with you guys. i wish we could relive the days when we were innocently exploring this new niche of voxel building games, just having fun placing our autistic blocks and finding out what new things TECHNOLOGY had in store for us. i remember so clearly accidentally coming fresh from minecraft and stumbling on corneroids general and finding you all. i miss the dreaming and fantasizing about the future of space voxel games. i miss our antics in /rcg/ and /seg/. i envy the people who are still somehow legitimately hyped for games like skywanderers and dual universe. where does it all go?

I want Corneroids back.

>starmade
>SMD is moving under new management with Schine GmbH. At this moment, we are unable to state when this will be completed. Until this time, the forums are closed.

only 58

>Release power update
>Get assblasted on the forums
>Sell of the company and cry in a dark corner

Maybe the new devs will do a better job.

>Maybe the new devs will do a better job.
assuming anybody would ever want to touch an unfinished java minecraft-in-space

the issue comes when I want to expand and increase production, nothing is tileable and there are extra lines of material running through everything..

>tfw you will never raid Shores of Hazeron with /egg/ or /sgg/ because it's subscription based completely dead bullshit now and will never stop being Deantwo's little circlejerk

I'm beginning to think adding Natural Forest Expansion was a mistake.

of not doing it sooner! t. elf

Natural forest expansion is fun because what good is beating trees if the trees don't try to resist?
You might as well have a second enemy type.

I miss Shores of Hazeron. Traveling via deadheading was the perfect level of comfy. Too bad he could never get over his libertarian wankery.

>Shores of Hazeron
Looked at some screenies of it. What kind of game is it trying to be, space build/exploration?

MMO space 4X voxel builder

The answer is one and obvious
NAPALM THE MOTHERFUCKERS

Kikeout fuckoff to your own general you're ruining egg. Kill yourselves.

Everything and the kitchen sink. It was the first to do procedural galaxies - you could point your ship at any star, accelerate ahead and eventually reach it. It had Niven-style ringworlds, accurately modeled. It had NPC fleets you'd script to trade between your planets. It remains, to date, the only game where you could play as a nomad fleet; just a bunch of ships that occasionally stop to hoover up resources before moving on.

But for all that, the dev was kind of autistic with his libertarianism. Individual property is king, right? So you literally had to buy everything you used from your own citizens. But at the same time taxes are theft, right? So you literally had to steal your money from your citizens. The game was fun, but you kinda got the feeling he jerked himself off at night to having "proved" his ideology.

t;dr, good game but sure as hell not worth real life monies.

At first this looked like that Stargate episode where they go from Antarctica to attacking the ship in orbit.

okay

Is there a way to automatically dump fluids in factorio?

Feel free to post content relevant to what you want to see, user!

Angel's mods has gas and fluids voids, but that cure may be worse than the disease.

Should we start a strawpoll?

:^)

I would like to see inspirations for superstructure. My #1 most hated part of the goddamned ship.

>30-hour days
Is that a good idea?
Plus I'm pretty sure 9 hours of sleep for 21 awake isn't a good ratio for humans regardless.

Humans actually have some flexibility on this. They did some tests with a guy in a cave with zero ability to tell time and he ended up changing his sleep cycle completely over the course of like a week. Can't remember what it was but I think it was 30 hour days or something similar.

Niven's Ringworld wasn't built to model Earth.

Although the Pak are technically human. Or rather, humans are technically Pak.

>They did some tests with a guy in a cave
It was slightly more sophisticated...
mpg.de/943613/S003_Flashback_060_061.pdf

My memory is shoddy at best, miracle I even remembered that. Best plane coming through.

>feel like doing some mech engineering + combat so start up the old robocraft
>my old mech rail walker that is still a beast despite receiving no changes in the past 2 years or so

this thing brings a tear to my eye. it's quite possibly the best thing i've ever created in any engineering game

>typical rail walker ergonomics with an added flight system
>very low profile, perfect for peeking from behind terrain with spider legs
>slightly leaning to the front, allowing all railguns to fire without blocking each other's shots
>lightweight frame, quite nimble to fly around, even able to do a bit of dogfighting in a pinch
>despite that, immensely resilient from the front in the ground thanks to abundant shielding and armor, often able to manfight bulkier robos in a 1v1
>can lose a ton of blocks and still remain operational thanks to clever placement of critical components, usually able to continue fighting or flee combat even at 15-20% durability

beautiful. too bad robocraft is rip

Only reason that shit werks is they flattened the power curve of everything. If you're smaller than an apartment complex you get a tonne of buffs.

twin boom aircraft gives boner

good shit

well i mean it's always worked, i have no idea what they've been doing with the game's balance in the last 2 years. well, other than killing progression in favor of lootboxes

Nah I mean in old robocock you would have gotten your ass inverted by big black shiny thruster armored cocks. Everything since the armor update has been post-robocock and its just a zombie

well i mean i came up with the design back in the day when you could railgun the same spot 4 times to drill through a robo and destroy the pilot seat. i do recall there being one point in time when people were driving indestructible reddish black bricks in the highest tier, so i gimped my robo just enough so i didn't have to play with them. it was kind of a rough time to play anyway.

are you saying this recent armor update was bad? didn't you just say that everyone was driving around big thruster bricks prior to that? seems like the update is an improvement in that case

>seems like the update is an improvement in that case
I wouldn't have an issue with it if it just prevented invincible cunts, but as it stands EVERYBODY is equal. A literal fucking gun on a leg is just as powerful as a tank due to its buffs on size/partcount compensation. Some of the new weapons will swat it, but they swat everything. Also you can't buy parts anymore, its all lootboxes.

I finally got off my ass and transferred my miner crate log to excel so I can keep track of how fucking awful of a person I am and set it up so it automatically calculates total scrap used in rerolling, how many times I've been forced to accept a common item, etc.

oh yeah that sounds pretty stupid

>His life consisted solely of sleeping, lying, sitting, eating, smoking a pipe and drinking mineral water or orange juice (there was no alcohol, tea or coffee). The subject had expressed the desire to experience total timelessness one time, but he was soon utterly fed up with it.

Could have given him a book or something holy fuck

That's not a Tiger.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Tiger_(2012_film)

cycle count is NOT important

What is important then ?

>can't even jerk off because people are watching

That's a pretty cool dreadnought. Working on one in FTD myself, maybe I'll modify it into an airship once I finish the bote version.

I'm a chemical engineer and I don't even consider ratios or flow rates in the slightest...
Just because a game has engineering principles doesn't mean it is fun to play 'properly'.

>doing anything "properly"

>rungworld
Get a load of this cuck. The best superstructure is an O'neil cylinder dodecahedron matrix (Oneil cylinders coupled together to form a dodecahedron, that then repeats a few dozen or hundred times) in the center of a matrioshka shell world.

You get to have hundreds/thousands of rad O'neil cylinders.
You get to preserve zero effective gravity, with only negligible distortions for those in cylinders on the edge of the matrix.
And all the fun of space with none of the risk. You can even pump something like 0.2 atm of oxygen/air into the voids between the cylinders and have turbine powered 'space'craft and populate the void between the cylinders.

And on top of that, you get to have the dozens/hundreds/thousands of times the SA of earth, all on a single planet. You could even have it all be contiguous.

s? shit?

"Watch me."

I'm never using this piece of fucking shit in a raid again. Ever.

Engineer Standard.

how good is this game compared to robocraft in its prime

i tried and the grind seemed fucking terrible

>33 hours a day
nightmare

When I'm off school I maintain a 10:18 ratio pretty easily.

Which is of course why I never go off school.

Grind is much worse but it works fine if you don't play too much. If you only play for hard season missions and daily reputation bonus it's not quite as terribly grindey but the only way you're ever going to get even one relic weapon without years of grind is likely jewing the market.

Physics is way, way better. Collision damage actually exists, there are physics-based weapons (Weapons have recoil/cause recoil to target, passive items that do more damage on collision and also harpoons) and there's modular shit like they started to add to robocraft that does stuff like cloaking, shields etc.

You can't fly. Viably, anyway.

Weapons actually have limited firing angles and turn speeds when Robocraft had forsaken those.
There are parts that do things like allow you to equip more weapons but they're explosive, so that gives natural weak points to enemy vehicles.
Flipping enemies is fun.
Also speaking of weapons, gunbeds aren't an issue.

There's a lot less creative design freedom than in Robocraft however but at least it looks better than when people make undecorated bricks in Robocraft.
How much engineering? Not much, really, disappointingly. It's still more like... Mech warriors or something?
But it does right all the many things Robocraft did wrong.

Developers are less hopeless than No-Name-Indie-Company, even if they're still hopeless.
It's not awfully great, but it's the best we have.

>You can't fly. Viably, anyway.
Bullshit, IIRC missile spinners are still amazing

You're better off going hovers+extra hurricane than one hurricane and spinning up.

But they're Fun.

I'm pretty sure you can still fly endlessly, too.

tactical nuke incoming

drive.google.com/uc?id=1U0rIAsx1TgJImRMRksUSzsLLEY_JusTD&export=download

*places requester chest*
*queues up 6 material requests*
*places provider chest*
*puts down 2 blue inserters*

cuckveyor users stay mad

>There's a lot less creative design freedom than in Robocraft
the problem i had with robocraft was that their grid wasn't refined enough to make nicer shapes so i'd say they're about even in terms of limitations

they still don't have 2x1 slopes or flat panels which i'd been asking for for a long while, not to mention how that russian knockoff had those a few months into development

Hardly. Robocraft easily wins on that front, just not having 2x1 slopes doesn't put it behind.
But crossout evens it out by having far better aesthetics, and there's something nice about making vehicles out of preset shapes instead of just blocks.

Somehow I seem to remember them adding fancier block shapes but I think that was just spengies armour block shapes I'm thinking of.

>Somehow I seem to remember them adding fancier block shapes
1x1 concave and convex variants

Do you think it's even possible to have a material strong enough to make this real?

>bringing legs to anything but defense, frontier defense, or cargo race on small maps
absolute madman, how salty were the other 3 randoms that you threw it?
i am a devout disciple of the legged-way, but even steppe spider won't save you here
>tfw no steppe spider

the grind is terrible, but the game literally hands you the tools to make anything fun yourself. aside from working the market and making $ currency without spending real $, it's on you if you can't make fun vehicles.

the entire game is built around making you want to spend money, zero of it is necessary with a little discipline and a build that you enjoy playing. it's warframe levels of "f2p" but like warframe, theres nothing that technically can't be earned for free long as someone is selling it.

Cuckout can be fun but the fucking retarded fun-sucking no-aim weapon builds ruin the game.

>HURRRRRRR IM A HUGE FUCKING FAGGOT WATCH ME POP DRONES AND RUN AROUND
>OR IM A HOVER THAT FUCKING HOVERS LIKE A CUNT WITH A CUNT AURA AND I FIRE GUIDED MISSILES SO I CAN TRY TO NUKE YOU - which fails 80% of the time but hey EASIEST WEAPON EVAR)

>Threw it
We won, user.

I did use steppe spider but then I sold it because I can't hold onto anything of notable value that has even a 1% chance of losing value anytime soon because I'm a massive kikelord.

Am I a physician or is this genuinely hard to comprehend.

Probably not to the sizes described in the original ringworld novel. It might be possible with active support though, orbiting fusion-powered laser stations could apply gentle constant pressure to the structure to keep it from flying apart. The structure as described in Ringworld though is made of bullshitium material that's incomprehensible even to several hyperdrive capable species.

alright you've convinced me on crossout

i want to be a big fucking idiot who shells the enemy from afar with a glass cannon. what is the best setup for this and the fastest way to reach it?

Look up Strv Tsunamiā„¢ by Egggeneral

twin mandrake quantum build and a fused radar
gonna need to buy a lot of packs for that goy

ok nice how long does it take me to get this

swipe that wallet
otherwise
days....
weeks....
months....

You can do something similar that doesn't look good at all with 2 Avenger 57mm cannons [white, easy to farm by level 7(?) but you can buy them on the market faster] and a rare cabin that has 10 energy. Or you can get a white cabin with 8 energy, slap a generator on there for the same price as the rare cabin and then roll with that. It's more about aesthetics at this point, for you. You'll be 2-3 shotting 12 year old russian kids in no time.

Once you have a good enough build to do hard season missions, completing them should net you 600 or 700 coins every 2 weeks with middling effort.
So in 8 weeks you could maybe have one tsunami.

If you're a good goy, you could learn the market patterns and work your way up to a fortune, though often the biggest price swings will take a while to come about, often being tied to events.

Or you can feed your wallet into the CD tray and for the low low price of about 50 euros starts out with two tsunamis!

Physician.
Then again, I don't know what half of those words mean. I just used context clues and my imagination. Google would help you if you cared more than I do about being right. What I was picturing was a honeycomb structure of Gundam Colonies inside a hollow earth. Basically a Nazi conspiracy theorists' dream come true, but with more space shit and science added to taste. I could be wrong.

Hey, thanks!
I've been meaning to try this!
If I ever stop being depressed and get my debit card set up, I might buy it depending on how this goes.

ok so I think it's taking O'Neil cylinders, using them as edges in dodecahedrons, and then having dodecahedrons that layer inside each other like russian dolls, capturing waste heat from the level below it.

rip user's free time
embrace the belt spaghetti