>makes your thread edition

>FAQ
pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34

>What to Play
pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/CTJ0hpLe

>News
New gigantic DDA mod release that lets you win DDA!
github.com/tyrael93/Ascension/releases

IVAN 0.51 released
github.com/Attnam/ivan/releases/tag/v051

New Sil fork out.
github.com/sil-quirk/sil-q/releases

ADOM r88 released for free, includes new secret boss and dinosaurs, get it here:
adom.de/home/downloads.html

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

>Roguelike Servers:
roguenex.us/ (CDDA, angband, PCB)
angband.live/ (Angband and variants, including PCB)
hardfought.org/ (Nethack and variants, including slex)

Other urls found in this thread:

discourse.cataclysmdda.org/t/ascension-mod-or-winning-dda-the-mod/14799
github.com/crawl/crawl/blob/master/crawl-ref/docs/options_guide.txt
pastebin.com/raw/uZVdHMA2
crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/LoreKeeper3/LoreKeeper3.txt
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for fuck gookmoot

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

ending it all tonight lads
gonna have to make your own threads from here on out

Don't you fucking dare.

u say this every time based lad poster

See you next (You)sday

In crawl, what starting weapon is good for a fighter?

a long sword

Can you explain to me why it's better? is it the base damage or accuracy or something else entirely

Remember to also slap in the other mods! It won't work without them and using any other versions will only get you weird bugs. I wish I could just add overrides, but most of the stuff has to be implemented inside the local modfolder to actually work.
That never happened to me, did you just put winning_dda in there?

I should probably change the OP link to ascension to the DDA forum post, it explains stuff a little better because I dumbed it down for the monkeys.

discourse.cataclysmdda.org/t/ascension-mod-or-winning-dda-the-mod/14799

I noticed that DCSS now automatically butchers and eat meat when you auto-explore at "very hungry".

is there a way to make the game do this when you're just regular hungry as well?

Nice going dingus

What?
The image?

>Jiyva's will mutate your body as you gain piety
>Jiyva alters your body
>Your body twists and deforms
>"armor fits poorly on your strangely shaped body"

what the fuck
i thought this bitch was supposed to give me good mutations
what the hell is this shit

whichever one a fighter has the highest skill aptitude for
swords/axes/maces/polearms are all approximately even, though axes are best for badplayer newbies who get surrounded when they shouldn't (abuse hallways!)
staves are not so reliable as a primary weapon because lajatangs (the first upgrade from the beginner-tier quarterstaff) are very rare.

github.com/crawl/crawl/blob/master/crawl-ref/docs/options_guide.txt
read the fucking manual
ctrl-f 'butcher'

>read the fucking manual
>reading the manual

top fucking kek

>worship the blob god
>surprised when you get blob

if you do not have a doctor's letter diagnosing you with autism you are NOT allowed to play roguelikes
t. was an autistic kid who would read the manual for new video games games cover-to-cover before even touching the disk

I’m sure if I went to the doctor and told him I hang out here all day he’d have me committed

>ywn be her

>As mentioned, night vision is good. I don't take it myself but for 1 point it and fast reader are both insanely good value.
Night Vision is two points, actually. It's been that for a while.
It's still worth it, though.

If that's the case 2 points of perception do everything it does and more for the same exact cost.

Friendly reminder that CDDA is still not roguelike despite what some horse dicking anons may believe.

nu-nightvision is something different than just +1 vision radius though
cdda has some kinda light level system and even non-NV players can see several tiles ahead when the moon is bright.

>Go into a town blindly at night
>End up holing up in a bar and training tailoring on all the corpses because booze=happy
>Wonder around and settle in anearby building and do it more for two days
>Wonder around the stuff with good loot
>Finally decide to go to outskirts of town
>Shocker brute and a kreck
>Kill the shock brute by holding the direction tis in
Did they change how brutes are generated at some point? I swear they used to be common in the inside. Nowadays the outside is the only place I see them.
Also the fact I could kill one by holding in itd direction with just 1 in all the hit stuff skills yet the cap is either stupidly high or does not exist is really confusing. Very few enemies are more dangerous than a shocker brute, my char is only a few days old, spent most of her life drinking and making shit and can already 1 v 1 them without any need for tactical decisions. Its silly

i dont notice a dif and i use the launcher so should be entirely up to date. what else is it doing other than lighting?

>read strategy guides cover to cover multiple times for games that I never played
heh.. step it up
kid.........

heh yah i never did that
that’d be pretty autistic though right?
right? heh

i don't know about strategy guides but I have in the past spent multiple hours reading wikis about the mechanics of games I'm not playing

are you the same guy that killed a flesh angel on its first night
I'm sensing a trend here
did you put monster health to 10% or have you got 90 str

I think I had 11 str, pretty sure I upped str by 3 and int 2 on char gen. Said char is dead now anyways. Ran into a turret.
I use default world gen and single pool so I can't actually start with god stats.
I was hopped up on painkillers with the shock brute but I think that's just standard practice if going into town. Also lots of booze with it but I'm not entirely sure what dif that makes since I just didn't care about anything other than it filling morale.

Oh also meant to ask, how does this making zombie slave thing work? Died before figuring it out. It was just randomly in my options when I was seeing if I had some way to cut metal covers off windows quietly.

>single pool so I can't actually start with god stats
singlepool is the mode that gives you the best stats though
multipool is the one that forces you to spend your extra points on traits and skills instead

But I spent all 12 points on good/bad traits. I always max both of those, then pour the rest into int/str. Feels like a waste if I don't.

it's only a waste if all 12 points of good traits are worth the points
a lot of them are less valuable than 1 or 2 more points in a stat would be

True enough. And even in the good ones, there are some I could probably skip, like robust genetics since I never bother to mutate. But then I think ''BUT WHAT IF I DO''.

Apply knife over a zombie corpse with enough survival (or first aid? I don't remember). It's basically useless.

I think flesh angels have the paralysis rape gaze, though if you have a billion int it won't do much.

>>I think flesh angels have the paralysis rape gaze, though if you have a billion int it won't do much
This explains why it hit me a bunch of its first turn. It didn't do it again though far as I can tell. It just kind of died and halfway broke my bag (the entire reason I wanted to level tailoring was to fix this, but goddamn they're hard to fix)

>>Apply knife over a zombie corpse with enough survival (or first aid? I don't remember). It's basically useless.
Neat thanks

Finally got this GnAM win. My first try got to Zot but got fucked due to my own retardedness and a bunch of yellow draconians.

pastebin.com/raw/uZVdHMA2

>spend 7 hours forging a sledge hammer
>discover it's no longer enough to crack open those ammunition vending machines
You can't take my fun away. Apparently they were empty though.

Why can't you just buy that stuff?
Zombies drop way more credit cards that you'd ever need.

>Most op race but worst god
Grats overall lol

>Chei is the worst god

How is it possible to be THIS wrong?

t. slugfucker
t. slugworshipper
t. slug

what are some rogue likes where things are not as they appear

>he doesn't take it easy
>he doesn't slowly move through life, fucking bitches, dodging attacks, and learning new things like it's the easiest thing in the world
>he's probably a scrub who actually uses haste potions

lmaoing at ur life

>using potions
>learning anything
>putting effort into anything
lmfao. i just cast my win cards until i win

all of them with mimics

Not pictured: a good god.

What game is going to save roguelikes this year?

dark souls 4

For the record, blood is not viscous enough to be a good lubricant.

>three web spiders, they bite me a few times for little damage, whatever
>start to butcher some zombies
>drop dead
Apparently all those "you're hurt" prompts weren't just +1 pain.

T-thanks pk.

Core has poisonous spiders as well.
I remember that I found some cellar spiders, then decided to skim a book or something like that, not noticing that I was poisoned. Died midway.

>cyberjunkie start
>leaky bionic is completely wrecking my health
>failed to remove it twice so far
Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

Early on I was playing one of my most powerful chars ever, full military armor, several medical mutations, metalic limbs, nanobots, etc. Fighting just generic zombies at full hp. After killing them, I noticed my torso was in red, just short of death. Still no idea why.

Probably my most bizarre death was fighting a shocker early on and getting knocked to very low torso hp. Low hp on a body part makes you colder. Very cold! temperature means you start taking damage.

My dude literally froze to death on like day 2.

In 0.8 I played the most fucked up character I can create as a challenge. I had 16 HP max in each bodypart, which meant a single critical strike from a wolf or skeleton could kill me. Something like hulk was pretty much guaranteed to kill me in one strike.
But the most fucked thing was a smoker zombie, because even if I dodged every single attack, just inhaling smoke kept damaging torso for minutes after and could deal lethal damage.
Of course, it was not a threat after finding bandages or filter mask, but early game was terrifying.

0-3: Continue playing my D:1 KoSu
4-6: Start OgFE
7-9: Start DgIE

just add a mod so that it doesn't leak anymore

axes

unless there's another apt at least 2 better

There is literally nothing wrong with any of this.

any weapon is good, there's enough headroom in crawl for any weapon school to be reliably won with. If you are having trouble winning then you need to be asking other questions. This question is like when you are looking at cars to buy, and you ask "should I get a car where the emergency brake is a handlever between the front seats or a footlever next to the driving brake?" It is very largely irrelevant.

this
maces are good if you want a weapon with lower investment, like if you were playing a more magic-leaning character
the other weapon types are niche (stabbing, deep water cheesing) and generally inferior

rolling.

will play on CAO as LoreKeeper3

>energy scumming hitdude
oh boy

Early crawl felt like you were really an adventurer in a dungeon. You found an old dusty wand laying on the ground, it had heft in your hand (10 arbitrary units of weight), you didn't know what it did, and you didn't know how much magical power was left in it. It was a mysterious and powerful magical device. You went further in the dungeon and found an old buckler in usable condition. You wanted to use the buckler to block attacks, but the unfamiliar weight of it on your arm made it harder to perform your magical gestures for your spells. However the only way to get better at using it was to use it in combat, not just keep it strapped to your backpack while conjuring your fire tongue as usual. So you used it, and were clumsy with your spells for a while. Later on you let a jelly get too close to you, and use the buckler to block an acidic tendril, and though it lets you kill the jelly, the buckler has been harshly corroded into a useless lump of wood and leather. You toss it away, it was weighing down your weak elven wrists anyways.

Nowadays, all these 'annoying' factors that existed purely to lower your 'quality of life' have been removed. Now the game feels sterile, like a skill inflation simulator.

>confused Sigmund is about to die from your poison dagger
>oops, better remember to go to skills and put all points into fire magic
>Your Fire Magic increased to level 4!

so immersive

does /rlg/ have enough taste to at least not actually want victory dancing back or did none of them play before their designated meme version, 0.10?

oh my bad 2 is hunter
that's even worse
make sure to pick crossbow

In 0.4 the dungeon actually felt vast and dangerous. So many things could go wrong, no matter how carefully you played. You could only do your best and face the danger. And victory dancing was hella cozy. Like when in fantasy quest novels the adventurers are camping for the night and the master is sparring with the young adventurer, or the wizard is lecturing the novice mage.

I picked sling, sorry

human, minotaur, troll, and draconian should be removed from the list, because if those races get mage/ranged/hybrid starts, they all have the survivability to completely ignore that and pick up the first melee weapon they find and immediately transfer to 100% melee character.

Also the only background should be 'wanderer.'

>it was more dangerous
no, you were newer
>it was comfy
you could argue doing routine things in cataclysm is comfy but crawl grinding was not comfy

>corrosion was permanent
>draining was permanent
>potions/scrolls could be destroyed
>starvation was a real possibility
>early game ID mini-game made establishing your character more difficult
>traps actually did serious damage
>much less explicit information on monsters (you could tell an adder was faster than you because he was catching up to you, not because his description listed 'fast')

grinding in cataclysm will never be comfy once you learn that the whole game is a knocked-over dumpster

all of that stuff just made you endlessly go back to your lair 2 stash and swap items whenever you were at risk, or made you look at a wiki, or randomly just killed you
boring
of course cata is a knocked-over dumpster, that's the point

I'm OK with that.

Dracs are great hybrids anyway so if you choose to go melee only you are just missing out

I play roguelikes to satisfy the autism that I have regarding choices and predictability. Since I don't have OCD or a need for excessive, annoying, and repetitive routines, I don't want that bullshit in my games.

If I wanted the DnD equivalent of washing my hands every 3 minutes, I'd just do it IRL with action figures by my side.

i'm not sure what was more fun, manually gathering every single distortion weapon and throwing them into lava, or scumming abyss for recharge scrolls to dig out the entirety of zot 5 before tackling the lungs

Victory dancing was zero fun but removing it was probably the largest difficulty decrease in DCSS.

>gave everyone access to any skill at any time, including the ones that were miserable (so no one actually did it) to dance like stealth, fighting and armor
>responsible for most of the hybrid charms melee characters (though they did weaken those now)
>everyone can get good ac/ev (lots more old characters were the billion ac / 2 ev types or pure blaster mages)

correct at the time but they fixed it later by making the game harder
and more build diversity is only a good thing

progressquest dcss when

everybody does that

shhh no
>will never happen

I got bored, maybe I'll continue tomorrow
crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/LoreKeeper3/LoreKeeper3.txt

I read the Nethack wiki before playing. It convinced me not to play it.

Good, more fun for the rest of us

if you just wanna roleplay and get immersed there are better mediums than videogames
those mechanics are interesting for storytelling and roleplay but real fuckin annoying for actual gameplay

We are the Mycus.

>old skill system
>fight a plant to get fighting to level 1
>cast spells at a wall to burn up xp
>walk around in a circle to train stealth

so immersive

You can't tell "immersion" faggots otherwise.

pls no

making threads is difficult

it's not
i would do it except the threads always die when i'm asleep
also i think there's some code in place to prevent users from page10animebumping their own threads

are mycus mutations worth it

ahem!

Ijyb does it again!

last time I play CDDA is when Kevin added that mechanic where you had to be strung out on painkillers/morphine before you could attempt to use a CBM. Is the game worth playing again, has anything else been changed, has Kevin ruined the game further?

I think I understand what the bug was with the posts quoted in .

I completely overhauled the mod dependencies by adding a new system of altered mods names and IDs to cause less confusion possible and make it possible for people to play both the original versions of the core mods and the Ascension variants.

I'm still mid-upload so it'll take a bit.

It works.