Why is real estate so fucking expensive?

Why is real estate so fucking expensive?

It's literally just some stones and cement.

Where do these prices come from?

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com/twitter-employee-making-ends-meet-in-silicon-valley-2017-3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why is bitcoin so fucking expensive?

It's literally just some 1s and 0s

LABOR THEORY OF VALUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>It's literally just some stones and cement.
LOL sorry to burst your bubble, it's plywood and foam insulation
houses are built from complete garbage, especially a mcmansion like in OP's picture

I mean if you want a house without wiring, no pipes and no isolation, you might as well build a shed. Invest in some hay. Also you should buy a cow and some chicken because milk and eggs are kinda expensive.

>"Im going to assemble a house"
>"You need to purchase the property, fulfill the correct build permits, make sure you're using enviormentally safe materials, there is X building law in X city and Y permit required in Y state. You are going to need insurance or you wont be able to get a build permit, only X company is approved to install piping and Y company is approved to set up electrical components for houses in Z city."

Basically, lawyers, insurance companies and the government.

Maslow's Hierarchy and Regulations on development.

This + mortgage bubble thanks to major banks and the fed. Don't buy one until it bursts.

unless it's new construction, the land is actually what's valuable.

a new property might start 80% home 20% land, but a few decades later flip to 20% home 80% land.

no stop
they say this every time
why is .3 acres in a shitty subrub in flyover valuable IN ANY WAY

Mortgages. Get rid of them and you can easily see house prices drop to $50,000.

High demand. You might think land is overvalued, but the reality is people need land in order to build shit, and building shit is very popular thing among humans. You can build shelter, businesses, community centers, etc.

Its high because demand is high, always will be (because humans still need a place to live DUH), so landlords and real estate agents can charge whatever the fuck they want because they know some desperate fuck would pay for it, like all the other desperate fucks before him for thousands of years.

Also, free housing and shelter is not a human right by the Geneva convention, so theres that.

it's not just overvalued
it has no value beyond allowing for a small detached home

that argument is like saying holding physical gold is good because "muh electronics"

It depends on where you buy. Buying a house in rural America will be cheap since you are essentially just purchasing the "stones and cement". Buying a house in an urban or suburban area is much different. You are not just buying the materials of the house you are buying intangible aspects as well. You are buying your social standing, your neighbors, and the segment of society in which you will live. All of these are far more valuable and costly than the building materials.

it's literally nothing like that. you can use land for living.

House prices reflect inflation and interest rates. Then there are bubbles and crashes mainly on smaller areas, those are mostly impacted by foreign money just parking. Like vancouver or London.

If you're single then it's almost always better to rent, especially currently when the rates cannot go but up, and they will. You will also have problems with taxes, as all taxes will increase because of the debt problem of governments all over

omg
BY LIVING IN THE SHITSHACK ATOP IT

Because people are supposed to live in crammed shitty apartments paying out the ass for rent. Having your own space is against the NWO and you should spend your entire life paying for it

Look more into Agenda 2030 (and Vision 2050) and you'll find your answer. The UN said suburban lifestyle is unsustainable for the rest of the world, so we have to change. The future is "green" cities, or whatever bullshit buzzwords they use at the time, to cram as much people together as possible.

Basically this.

I keep telling people. We're in a goddamn bubble. Boomers keep buying these places, driving up the cost. But you also have to keep in mind boomers are also building new houses as we speak. Eventually they'll build too many and the market will get oversaturated with homes and crash. I don't give a fuck what anyone says, this happens all the time and will happen within the next 5 years.

I live in California and every mile or so new apartment and condo complexes are being built. Every 5 miles new suburban homes are being built as well. Again, new construction boom going on. This is great news.

The value is in the fact that it's close to the higher paying city jobs. Sure you can live out in the boonies and your property will be less expensive but there's also no jobs to pay for it either. Still over priced as it is tho.

I'd say it will happen as early as the end of 2017

I have always found it funny how shitty looking the material used to build modern homes are. You can tell it's just some cheap mass-produced generic plastic trash thrown on top of wood. I guess it works but fuck man, put some heart into it.

This is true in America, but not so much in Europe. We have proper buildings here, thank God (although you have nicer nature than us, I'll admit it).

I really don't understand the sudden surge for demand. it's like new people popping out of nowhere and all of them suddenly want a place to live at the same time. it doesn't make sense

link related to pic
businessinsider.com/twitter-employee-making-ends-meet-in-silicon-valley-2017-3

most real estate costs are the land. space of land on this earth is the most finite resource there is.

>retard comes late to the boomtown
>"wahhh it's expensive to live here, wahhh I can't raise my family on 5x the national median wage"
So go work somewhere else stupid. Texas, Atlanta, Detroit, etc all have great tech markets and cost less than Silicon Valley.

I hate stupid people.

As someone currently living in SF, it's a bunch of complex/unique factors, and I don't think you can call what's happening here 'normal.' Basically this place is optimizing around the higher 'average' salaries brought in by tech. I have a burger spot in my neighborhood that recently plastered new prices over their old ones--a burger used to cost 4.50 there, now that same burger is 9.75. they know people will pay it here, so they charge it. everything is becoming like that--i'm lucky to have rent control on my apartment, but my landlord is now charging double to move in to these apartments; again, because she knows some young facebook employee can afford it, and won't really have any other choice if they want to live in a nice neighborhood with amenities.

In short, you can say cost here is driven by 'demand,' but you kind of have to play with the definition of demand. I only know a couple people that *want* to live here, everyone else is desperate to get out. the housing market here is totally tethered to these salaries though, and i fear for what's going to happen to this place when tech starts to spread out...

This happens basically in any area where higher paying jobs are. It's kind of the same in toronto. What I don't understand is why someone who wants to open a factory doesn't just build it in an area that is job deprived. You'd get to pay people less as well.

Why are bitches so fucking expensive?

It's literally just some tits and assholes.

>This happens basically in any area where higher paying jobs are. It's kind of the same in toronto. What I don't understand is why someone who wants to open a factory doesn't just build it in an area that is job deprived. You'd get to pay people less as well.

Chicken or the egg problem. "Talent" is in cities, so you build closer/inside cities to access it. New "talent" comes to cities for jobs, and it keeps going

this
where in europe? in Scandinavia I've only seen either concrete commie blocks or timber houses
Western Europe uses bricks though yes

>houses are expensive
You can literally just trade a bunch of paper with markings on it for one

Demand
America is big, but alot of the land is inhabitable or owned by the government

'smart' worker bees would rather live in an overpriced instagrammable city than anywhere else.

global_capitalism.txt

>where in Europe?
Pretty much everywhere in Europe has at least some beautiful classical/gothic architecture, going to North America it's very noticeable how ugly the cities are in comparison (unless you're the sort of person who finds modern skyscrapers nice to look at, I'm not). Admittedly lots of very ugly commie blocks in Eastern Europe, but I actually find the blend sometimes makes the cities more interest, Budapest comes to mind when I think about that sort of contrast.

I disagree I think cities are equally shitty thanks to modernism in western europe and communism in eastern europe

When I went to America I definitely thought suburbs were generally nicer than in europe

You don't need "talent" to work on an assembly line. There's no difference in location. Honestly I personally think there are more stupid people in cities than there are outside cities. This is just based on personal experience obviously.

It is not so much about the "stones and cement" but the land.

There is a limited amount of land in the world, then only a subset of that is in good weather, then only a subset of that is in developed countries, then only a subset of that is close enough to all the services...and so on.

>i liked the american suburbs
So you like freeways, applebees and cookie cutter subdivisions?

American suburbs are ok, but they seem a little bit devoid of identity. I'd say the natural beauty of America is nicer (although Europe has some very good nature too), but go to a city like Vienna or Florence and you'll see that American cities don't even come close. I guess it depends on what you like though.