/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

the grin edition

Previous thread
PLEASE NOTE: Dwarf Fortress has just received an update. If you play the newest version (44.05), be prepared for plentiful bugs and crashes. Do not complain about your bugs and crashes here, report them here: bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.05.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack (Alpha 44.05, expect bugs):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164123
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455

>Starter Pack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

first for i hate myself

pls gib idea for new fort

nth for I hate being sick

nth for masterwork drawings

Creepy

bump

>not posting the strange mood comic that other user made

Been in a haze of sickness, help me out.

Spishab Squeezedonkey

>1/2
I'm waiting for the rest user.

so after that comic was posted, the original user who's adventure story it was, came back and shared how he found the late Lani Esteemdress's son. which led to the sequel being drawn. i wish i had saved the screencaps that the user posted.

pretty good

I wept

Alright so I'm playing my first game and I got 2 issues I'm hoping I can get help with
1: I can't interact with the plant menu on the right. All other menus are WASD to scroll up down, on this it does nothing.
2: The big menu on the right of screen that said what all the buttons do (like B=buildings) has vanished and I don't know why

use the + and - keys

>first game
>LNP

That's fairly normal

press tab and you'll get the window back

With 2 it should come back once you press escape and leave the q-screen. If you aren't in any submenu (like after pressing t or v) and it's still gone try pressing tab.

Maybe if your IQ is below 80.

did you notice that those were posted already, just combined

part five wasn't in the combined one tho

No, didn't see, saw the filename and did some autoposts with those.

needs to be edited so the mother pulls out a +copper carving knife+ in the last panel

>be me
>first time hearing about dwarf fortress in some forum
>want to play this shit
>there is a lazy newb pack
>i dont want to download that, after all it has "lazy" and "newb" in the name, and im not lazy or newb
>start searching for the dwarf fortress homepage
>its an ascii game
>holy fuck.jpg
>download it anyway because i relly want to dorf
>start running the game but i cant dorf
>search for the wiki and spend there some weeks
>cant understand yet
>enter into tileset repository
>its fucking shit
>enter into tilesets in bay 12 forum
>shits good
>download spacefox and spend days trying to install it
>it works
>run dwarf fortress
>now i understand
>years pass and i start becoming an ascii purist
now graphic sets are shit in my eyes and ascii is perfect

Trufax.

>taking weeks to play
>spacefox

go away

Ayy thanks those worked.

Bravo.

>be me
who else? nigger

>be 17
>miss

go back to Veeky Forums autist

im not even going to giv u a you reddit faggotron

wew

doesnt anyone say "newfag" anymore??
or are we way past that point? :-(

>i dont want to download that, after all it has "lazy" and "newb" in the name, and im not lazy or newb
It's good that you have some pride.

it was replaced with "redditer" in like 2010

Veeky Forums was replaced by reddit in "like" 2014
>please like subscribe and donate to my patreon for more epic oldfag knowledge fellow channers :)

a wereiguana just came and killed my broker and turned human again (its my first spring in this fort and the trade depot is outside) i replaced him to keep trading but the trading screen doesnt shows the prize, is this a intended feature?

yes. An inexperienced broker has no idea what shits worth.

The first dwarf to go trade for each caravan will gain free points in appraisal proportional to the number of items in the depot. If your old broker (RIPIP) had already been in the depot and you opened the trading screen, then you've gotten your freexp for this caravan, and will have to wait for the next one. There's no other way to gain experience in appraisal.

>who else?
I dunno, John Malkovich?

The famous dwarf fortress player?

literally who

The key grip from Jurassic Park 2.

Made me check imdb
no, there's no key grip named John Malkovich in Jurassic Park 2

It's a meme, you dip.

It must be stopped by any means at our disposal.

It is sad but not unexpected.

You around teaspoonanon? I'm not going to spam you with requests, but I've documented like 90% of the forgotten beasts that have come to Relicwebs, so if you want material it would be my pleasure to provide it.

bumping thread

you were 4 seconds too slow

No you're thinking of Paul Noble.

Wtf my queen went insane how am i supposed to fulfill this request?

What kind of insane? Hopefully she'll die on her own before the mandate expires. You can always ignore demands, there's no consequence for failing to fulfill them.

oh no my bad, not in game insane i just think this is a crazy request

How do I tweak my custom world to have more sapient life in it?
It's a 65x33 world and it has about 6500 live sapient beings, I want more. I plan to make a really compact world for a longlasting fortress.

I have a 65x65 world and it has over 100,000 goblins alone

don't know what you're doing wrong

if you mean historical figures and not total beings you just need to change the historical figure cap

I'm fairly new to this I assumed if you subtracted the dead from historical figures you got the amount of live sapient beings, give or take the amount of ones who didn't make it to history.
Anyway when I save it unloads some 6500 units.
How do I see numbers for civs?
I'm trying to autistically make the perfect world that's heavily populated (lots of war to wage) and has a cold climate (I like it) with a non-reanimating evil biome (harder to kill wildlife without FPS death from zombies in the caverns) and not too many resources. I also set a high number of forgotten beasts and so on.
I'm trying to make this hard but not too hard, and also trying to have it last a lot by doing all the tricks to get a nice fps.

My dorfs have been writing tons of books about the value of truth, loyalty and fairness.

Meanwhile a human scholar I have keeps writing about how all of that is worthless lmao.

pic related

That's only the historical figures. Look in legends viewer for exact numbers of civ members.

and one of fairnes

Civilized World Population

3104 Dwarves
9596 Humans
1054 Elves
55806 Goblins

Total: 69560
Not too bad, considering your world is twice as big.
I'd personally want to have less dwarves (rely more on children growing up), more elves (more things to ruthlessly kill), more humans for some ishukan communication and more globins for tough humanoids to fight.

Forgot picture of the world.

i think my world requires a holocaust

is there an easy way to get this?

last 5 worlds ive made have had this, 80% of the map is savage and i tripled the number of evil squares. this world has 28 goblin civilizations and hundreds of sites.

make sure to build a mausoleum for that contrarian faggot, he will need one

what do you mean?

idgi

Eventually some dwarf will be too drunk to handle his bullshit politely and will knock his block off for being edgy.

does world generation require warm hot and scorching areas? i used perfect world to literally make the whole world freezing and it still made areas with fucking warm hot and scorching????

(((Ü)))

Do it.

>Still can't make mutually exclusive syndromes without using interactions
Fuck's sake Toady.

Settled on a volcano. Was hoping to get one where the lava isnt at the surface but down the tube of the volcano a bit but no luck. Decided to make the best of it anyway, built flooring over the pass and a fire imp pops out and blows three dwarves into the lava. Finally finished the path though, built alot of downstairs to the bottom of the mountain. The idea is to wall off the stairs to make it into a sort of tower standing beside the volcano, and at the bottom of the stairs begin digging into the earth and carving a fort properly. For the fun traps to deal with invasions, I plan to hoist boulders a z level above the volcano and have them drop and splash magma mist on any intruders. Lets hope I don't have to re-settle.

He didn't feel anything after seeing a /dfg/ die recently.

Maybe if Today didn't take nearly 2 years to do 2 months' worth of work /dfg/ wouldn't be dead.

plz dont bully.
toady is a busy man, he spends three hours every day making crayon drawings.

He's an incompetent buffoon of an autist who's spent 10 years barely learning how to use a computer and milking even more buffoonish autists for their money.

He felt blissful after watching anime recently.

I saw user recite The Faggotry Of Weabooism recently. No, I'm not impressed.

Here is the fortress the tower descends into so far.
Any ideas on safely channeling out a bit of magma for a magma smelter without toasting a dwarf alive?

Is there as special LNP for windows 8?