Why has paganism been so resilient in India?

Why has paganism been so resilient in India?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/orUh2do3EOs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They are 1.3 billion people.

Too many Indians reproducing too fast for Muslims and Sikhs to convert.

Because it involves scriptures and deep philosophical writings

Not like those tribal animist religions that are fragile AF

When christianity came the tribal retard were like "holyshit, im fucking mind blown. Hail savior"

But Hindus already belive in god intervening in earth to save us, so they were like "ok whats new, we already have krisna and the word of god"

>Because it involves scriptures and deep philosophical writings
Greeks, Romans, Persians didn't have those?

Not ones that supported their religion, at least with regard to the Greeks and Romans.

They seem to be really into tradition. There's still a kind of informal caste system and millions of people still view cows as sacred and allow them to roam the streets. So it makes sense that with such a resilient cultural identity, they would retain their religion as well.
Also, IIRC, Hinduism has been through quite a few manifestations since its early days. Even today there's Shaivism, Vishnaivism, and various local cults centered around Ganesha, Hanuman, Kali. Also it blends well with other Dharmic faiths, like Jainism or Buddhism

>yfw people have been saying this for 600 years

British empire basically, without the british in the couple hundred more years of muslim rule and dhimmitude india would at this point be almost entirely muslim

The Old Gods still manifest in India, and foreign proselytization is only tolerated up to a point. Most of my family is Mormon and it's a tacitly-acknowledged fact that any Christian who gains too large a following in Hindu territory will wake up one morning covered with oozing pus-filled boils (which western medicine is always unable to treat or explain), or with a knife stuck in their ribs (despite there being no traces of anyone having entered the room), or something of that nature. Sometimes they just get turned to stone. We're not supposed to believe in any of that stuff since it's supposedly pagan bullshit, but the LDS hasn't sent any missionaries to India in a couple decades, so you draw your own conclusions.

Exactly

Thats why Persian zoroastrianism has survived

If Alexantard didnt burn the text it would still be majority religion in iran

>We're not supposed to believe in any of that stuff since it's supposedly pagan bullshit
I'm pretty sure the standard Christian response would be that it is true, and that demons are responsible for it.

Practically, no.
The roman religion was tied to government procedure (which bound it mostly to the upper classes), ancestor worship and mysteric cults. We know very little of its practices, because priests were forbidden from revealing anything of the actual theology to laypeople, who only ever got to see the public ceremonies.
The greek religion was even worse, because it wasn't actually bound to a single government, so it was fragmented as shit.
Zoroastrism was actually a very formalized and knowable religion, but then it DID endure all the way to the middle ages, and it DID require a millennium of violent persecutions to uproot it, so it doesn't really damage the argument.

>Paganism
Do you mean Hinduism? Because modern Hinduism is a fairly recent phenomenon.

Yeah that's right, Alexander set a few cities on fire 3000 years ago and that's why there are no Zoroastrians in Iran today despite it being the state religion for 2000 years after Alexander

Oh wait you're serious.

>wake up one morning covered with oozing pus-filled boils (which western medicine is always unable to treat or explain)
That's the result of breeding plague rats and not pooing in the loo.
> with a knife stuck in their ribs (despite there being no traces of anyone having entered the room)
Burglary is rampant, they're very good at it.

>paganism
Fuck off christcuck.

Utterly ridiculous convoluted and preposterous statement.

>2033002
Zoroastrainism wasn't destroyed by burning of the cities by Alexander. It was the muslims that tookover the Persia that destroyed it. The muslims also destroyed the Buddhism of the region as well. Zoroastrianism and Buddhism were both thriving fine in the region.

What should it be called then

Fuck off stormcuck.

What the hell else suppose to call it? Hell I'm a Heathen, and when referring to faiths with multiple gods, they are generally referred to as pagan. Multitheism is probably only other term, but if you say that to normal people, they look at you like you're speaking a different language. So stop being a butthurt tard.

Also it's illegal for Zoroastrians to convert people in Iran

It's called Sanatana Dharma.

Polytheism is the word scholars use.

Multitheism = infinite gods
Polytheism = many gods

Who said anything about infinite gods?

Hell, it depends on the group in question among all 'Hindi' religions, some asserting atheism, and tons of groups are more or less henotheistic.

It's sorta half right. The colonies HEAVILY endorsed certain groups that remain popular today. Krsnites come to mind. There was also an essentialization of Buddhism by colonists looking to draw parity with Christ but it wasn't quite as enduring.

But the already existing forms of worship were strong when the Brits got there; they weren't able to tell which saddhus were Krsnite or Saivite, and an arbitrary endorsement of Krsnite materials as "The Hindoo Bible" helped make that group stronger at the expense of Saivist worship.

So pretty wrong, but on the other hand I doubt ISKCON would be a thing if it were not for colonial intervention.

Define "Hindusim" and "recent". Groups like ISKCON? Sure. Kulamarga? Nope.

It endures through today, see FEZANA.

^This.

I never understood what makes people so analdevastated about unlikely person X interfacing with unlikely faith Y.

One wonders, if Nordy McVikernes is that pissed that tan people are practicing his iteration of paganism (with no discernible teachings on racial purity) how upset he'd be to find out that the Vikings were on decent terms with the Muslims while they were raiding Europe.

Come defend me against the Christian (Protestant) fundamentalists Ape kun!

Here

t. Patel Srinivasanajaragupta

The mughal empire was basically over just before brits arrived.

The Mughal Empire was little more than a puppet state by the time the British got serious in India. After the death of Aurangzeb in 1707 the empire was weakened severely due to repeated conflicts with the Maratha Empire in the Deccan region, and the Persian invasion of the Western provinces. Within just 2 years (1737-1739) the capital of the Mughals (Delhi) was sacked twice! Between 1784 and 1858 they basically were a mere vassal state, influenced first by the Marathas and after the 3rd Anglo-Maratha war, by the British.

>caste system is violently suppressed with the only remnants being villagers sometimes drinking from different glasses.
>one of the largest leather and cattle exporters in the world.

the vaishnavs and shivites are more common in southern india for the most part
Shiva was extremely popular because you didn't have set in stone rituals for worshipping shiva that required a lot of ceremony and officiating brahmin priests.
And that is not even going into bhakti traditions where krishna was the most worshipped god by far.

Well, that's a touch reductive (see: and the orthodox side is just as complex), but I dig it.

I ain't saying the Brits gave the subcontinent it's religion [back] but rather that their desperate need to identify Christlike material caused a reorganization of social structures.

Same reason designated shitting streets have been so resilient in India, a strict and ever-permeating culture of traditionalism.

>When christianity came the tribal retard were like "holyshit, im fucking mind blown. Hail savior"

You have an incredibly outdated view of the Christianization process in history. The main factors that drove it were political in nature.

Someone tell me about the priestly class in Hinduism. I'm under the impression that Hinduism can be anything from a priest in a temple talking about complex metaphysics to a peasant worshiping a river.

>The main factors that drove it were political in nature
How so?

Jesus is LORD

Multi doesn't mean infinite retard
Multi = many
poly = many

Standard usage is polytheism in reference to many gods.

>paganism

Define paganism.

(I hope you realize Christianity is just one of the many religions, by the way)

Yup, and the priest class could technically comprise either depending on the exact nature of their sect and oaths.

That said, many of the sadhus are performing their austerities in the name of breaking the established order of caste.

it's all about having a functioning religious institution like Church or so. The Muslims let the brahmans hold on control of the caste system. That slowed down the conversion process. where Brahman influence was low, Islam became the majority Religion.
The same goes for the balkans and other places

>be pagan
>see easy way to get power is raiding
>works great, but then they adapt
>oh fuck they can copy our ships/invade as well
>how do I keep my titles when everyone is mad at me?
>lets convert, they like the salvation narrative, maybe I can get a wife out of it too
>oh hey it worked! Maybe they can help ke against my foreign allies
>ill spin it as rooting out pagans
>the fuck is a "holy sanction"?
>oh hey look at all these christians dying for me. This is great!
>im keeping all this land, no one seems to mind
>guess im king now, but what about my sons?
>what is "primogeniture?"
>THIS IS THE BEST DAY EVER. MY FAMILY CAN RULE UNTIL THE END OF TIME
>i lied about all this anyways, not tellin anyone though, valhallah awaits

So is Veeky Forums pretending the majority of now-pagans aren't extremely left-wing?

Because it is more militant, and more healthy than Roman paganism or Greek Paganism, and so on.

Aren't a lot of Hindus vegetarian and pacifist?

Freddy Mercury was a Zoroastrian

cucked

>implying pagan romans and greeks weren't militant

Christianity was extremly militant once it got official support.

Honestly if you think the majority of Greco-Roman "pagans" didn't want Christianity your mistaken.

>pacifist and vegetarian

This is yoga bullshit

>10% mongol
I doubt any Asatru from way back when would have given a shit.

youtu.be/orUh2do3EOs

A better example would be this.
The people you see in orange robes like those that the buddhist monks wear but with giant dreadlocks and beards are called Sannyasis - Those that have renounced the world.
They come from all castes and walks of life and roam around the country, and are largely not bound by any rules of caste and creed.

>better example
Yeah probably, ijs lots of groups take a nondual approach to caste.

Nigga

You never heard of the Kshatriyas?

God himself said a warrior's duty is righteous violence