/sthg/ - Sonic The Hedgehog General

Welcome to the Sonic the Hedgehog General. Share art and music & discuss over new developments, ROM hacks, speedrunning, comics, and anything Sonic related!

/sthg/ #1178 - Hedgehogs Edition

>Sonic NewsGeneral Interest Links

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/14942266
youtube.com/watch?v=VBYYvXVaVIU
youtu.be/oLR01eX6jZ8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

iconic duou

I want Shadow inside me what do I do /sthg/

The origin of the "Sonic's shitty friends" complaint honestly pretty pathetic. Adults jumping into a kids' series and then complaining about how it didn't appeal to them, as adults.

Many game journalists of the 2000s somehow couldn't comprehend that Sonic games are made first and foremost for children and dedicated fans (manchildren, if you will) and were offended that it didn't have the universally appealing tone of Mario and whatnot. Who was this "Shadow" character? They weren't in the Genesis games! What an awful addition to this series that I'm not attached to but have vague fond memories of from my youth of (that is, if they didn't go into the review harboring resentment towards SEGA as a result of the console wars)!

I'm not excusing the quality of the games in the 2000s, as even the best of them couldn't really be considered better than mediocre and honestly couldn't hold a candle to the expertly crafted Sonic 2 and 3&K. The thing is, though, that people's frustrations with more abstract elements like game design were directed towards the superficial elements such as the aesthetic, characters, and story. Sure, the stories to these games weren't masterpieces and were pretty clunky and absurd at times, but that's true of pretty much 95% of video games, and the stories still appealed to core fans and kids at the time. (1/2)

This is like mixing Sonic Battle's aesthetics with the SEGA Channel art. M.O.A.R

Shadow isn't real.

What's the next Sonic game, guys?

But I want him to be real and I want him to pound me

a-user... this is Sonic Channel's art style for 2018

this art style is fucking great

Forces 2

Sonic Mania 2

It going to be an open world game. You know it's true.

And it's going to be terrible, but I'll probably still like it because it will feel like an adventure.

What was the last BGM you've listened to?

cool edge night

AWW YEAH. HERE WE GOOO 2018!

Arsenic Pyramid 1 from Sonic Forces

However, now that SEGA have been trying to cater to these "Sonic's shitty friends, who the fuck is charmy bee, ow the edge" complaints with plots that have no stakes, no intrigue, no "coolness factor," and are full of lame, half-assed humor that makes anyone over the age of 5 roll their eyes (such as Colors and Lost World), Sonic stories no longer appeal to anyone. Forces excited people because it appeared to be an attempt at revisiting the 2000s style, but the appeal was superficial at best. They attempted to do intrigue with Infinite and the return of Chaos, Villainous Shadow, and Great Value Brand Monster Antagonist, but the "twist" was impotent and honestly almost laughable. Saying that all these beloved figures returning was just the result of hyper-realistic virtual reality is just barely below "it was all a dream" on the cop-out scale, and despite Infinite's identity being made out to be a big deal in promotional materials, he's ultimately just some generic villain for Sonic and the self-insert to trounce with minimal effort. Neo Metal Sonic's role in Sonic Heroes is honestly pretty similar, but at least he's a beloved character that returned with a new design and had the decency to at least turn into a giant robot dragon for one final (non-recycled) fight with all the playable characters led by Super Sonic. Also, why have such a large cast of characters when they're all just going to rattle off interchangable lines of exposition in the background and generally fail to do anything memorable? The "sonic's crappy friends" crowd isn't happy, the core fans aren't happy, so what's the point, aside from having something to put in trailers to lure fanboys with stockholm syndrome into buying this glorified mobile game? (2/2)

I at least appreciate your honesty

I was browsing through some older pics, and thought I'd make a quick edit as a gift to the shadaze shill.

strawpoll.me/14942266

You got any more of these? Prefereably grils.

SA1 and 2 remakes. I don't even like SA but

WHY IS METAL LOSING AAAAAAAAAAAA

I always like these real cat Blaze edits, so nice work.

Probably just more janky Boom games for a while. Forces was their actually putting in effort game for the decade. Expect more Sonic and the Dark Knight tier shovelware.

I guess this is a pasta, but I agree with all of it.

Ebin pasta, Sparky.

That part is criminally short. Much like the rest of the game. I have to purposely drag out that section just to hear more of the music

It's not a pasta, I actually am this autistic.

I like your honesty and opinions

Well for your trouble I completely agree with everything you typed. I've always hated the "Sonic's shitty friend's" complaint. That always overshadowed the actual crux of the issue.

The gameplay being dogshit and unpolished was the real problem. it still is even today.

And it's frustrating to watch Sega only acknowledge the most insipid of feedback while ignoring all the real important problems their games have.

The "sonic's crappy friends" crowd would fucking love another sa2 featuring new fresh versions of city escape, boob tiddy bat, big the cat, faker, get a load of this, etc.
Yet that's the exact opposite of what they said they would fucking love.

ABT is streaming again in around 90 minutes. Last stream was awesome, so be sure to drop by.

He did some cool work on the stream last time. Looking forward to this one.

I'm very shy and don't know too much about him. Is it still worth checking out?

Thanks. Honestly I prefer post-dark age Archie to the actual games' stories (although people treat Ian like some kind of messiah when he has huge glaring flaws that everyone refuses to point out) but I feel bad for people who do prefer the adventure style of plot.

Yeah, I know. I'd love to see a game as well-made as the classics and Mania with tons of playable characters, a world full of cool and memorable locations, and expansions to the lore of the Sonic world. I miss when we got spinoff games like Riders and Battle, because they made the expanded cast fun to actually play as.

Nice self shill, ABT. Global rule 11.

>huge glaring flaws that everyone refuses to point out
Hey there again, here to shit on Ian with your baseless arguments some more?

What’s with the pouch? I think having Sonic and Knuckles is cute though.

No, he hates shy people because they are weak willed cowards. Stay away from the stream.

Sure, go ahead. ABT's a chill dude.

Please don't do this, the thread just started.

Sonic is for Americans!

Don't look at me, the other guy started it by acting like an ass just because he dislikes Archie or something.

Don't reply, user. It'll just make things worse.

Archie's dead anyway.

The art style changed just last December and we've only had Tails and Amy since. You'll have to wait for more girl characters to be done in this style. Meanwhile my fave characters are going to be jipped out of getting new art in 2018 because of the style change, as well as missing out entirely on the 2017 style, and still not having new art since 2014.

I want this shirt

What do you like those dumb birds from Riders or something?

You can't follow yourself on twitter stupid.

Not with that attitude

Still has more fans than the IDW comic and its one facebook follower.

I'll be looking forward to your new content this year OH WAIT

Chaotix. Sonic Channel doesn't give them much attention.

yeah I'm an idiot who didn't notice the thread was saging

Thanks user for the kek in the last thread

Oh, that's a shame. Hopefully they get something eventually.

I know you're just shitposting but I guess I really should be more specific for the sake of people who genuinely don't get why people are hard on Ian. The thing is that he tends to over rely on dialogue scenes that build tension for future events at the expense of making individual stories less exciting. Not saying that the story can't ever slow down and build character but it just happens a bit too much for a SONIC comic in my opinion.
He's also really mediocre at humor. It's better than BALDY MCNOSEHAIR LOL AMIRITE KIDS but he rarely takes advantage of the comic book format to deliver clever punchlines. Most of his humor seems to be reaction shots and odd/out-of-place dialogue.

Bump-Chan (Male)

>i hate memes
Nice "argument."

only faggots wear dresses

Yeah, Amy is such a faggot, holy shit.

you're probably a faggot too

>probably
If you think anyone in this general may not be a faggot, you need to lurk more. Sonicfag

And you don't look half as good in a dress as I do, so there!

Wha...? That wasn't me.... ....wha????

>tfw Astro Boy 2003 only has shitty bootleg subs in the later half

youtube.com/watch?v=VBYYvXVaVIU

Super Robot Wars is like that too. There was a character named Ryonosuke or something abd partway through all the names became a couple letters and the sub called him RZ or something, it was beyond retarded.
So like, where was Angel Island in Forces? Was that the 1% that went unconquered?

Eggman didn't bother since the Phantom Ruby was infinitely more powerful than the Master Emerald.

Where were the Chaos Emeralds or the Master Emerald?

Who are Shadow, Rouge and Omega working for before the resistance is formed?

Why does Eggman act like he built Infinite when he didn't?

Plotholes.

>So like, where was Angel Island in Forces? Was that the 1% that went unconquered?

Well it was in the prequel comic with Knuckles.

Sonic should give Amy a hug.

>Where was the Master Emerald?
See >Who are Shadow, Rouge and Omega working for before the resistance is formed?
G.U.N.

>Why does Eggman act like he built Infinite when he didn't?
To be fair, he only describes Infinite's power as his, since he was the one who fused the Ruby prototype with Infinite. The only ones who believe that Infinite was built by Eggman are the resistance.

Human world, where they normally are.
G.U.N., as an advance force to try and stop Eggman's forces from pushing into the human world. This is also where Shadow was during the six months, dealing with incursions.
He actually basically did. Modern Eggman is the one who researched and weaponized the Ruby, including creating copies, and who experimented with Weak the Jackal, thus effectively creating that which we know is Infinite.

Sonic should give me a hug.

This.

II disagree.

Take note, Sonic team.

>Eggman didn't bother since the Phantom Ruby was infinitely more powerful than the Master Emerald.

According to what?

>Still has more fans than the IDW comic
Well DUH, user! It hasn't even released its first issue yet.

Okey more Green Hill.

Sonic please don't bully pink rat.

no

How did Silver travel back in time?

youtu.be/oLR01eX6jZ8
Holy hell this might actually redeem Sonic Forces for me.

>Writer: Ian Flynn
Not canon.

According to SEGA, that comic is in fact, canon to Forces story. But SEGA's not canon, right?