/domg/ - Dominions General

Astral Edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.
The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 3000 units, 900 spells and 400 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.
It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.
Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/wjbSA98Y

>Drawfaggotry
dominionsdraws.imgur.com/

>DOMINIONS 5 IS OUT.

>Where do I get it?
Currently only available on Steam.
store.steampowered.com/app/722060/Dominions_5__Warriors_of_the_Faith/

>Manual
illwinter.com/dom5/dom5manual.pdf
illwinter.com/dom5/dom5tables.pdf

>Mod inspector
larzm42.github.io/dom5inspector/

>Multiplayer guide
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1212948582

>Debug mod
dropbox.com/s/oo492x2cs8vag34/debug509.zip?dl=0

>How do I change the fonts?
Replace guifont.ttf, guifont_fancy.ttf and guifont_texty.ttf in the game's 'data' folder (C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Dominions5\data usually).

>Is there an easier way to play multiplayer?
rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/dominions-4-pbem-manager-new-stuff.104015/
Works for Dominions 5 just as well.

>Completed games
Submit them here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeuclmaCiRo8vcTztsKjPJxnBgRDE-E1uNvE5j0x5wDZMMhRA/viewform
Results:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OxILAa3Y_O7Vk2NFhKAAQfStHqh1WJXMkGCim9sQ_ns/edit#gid=1292233344

>OP pastebin
Just copypaste it and link the previous thread below.
pastebin.com/RbFWcFcU

>Previous Pantokrator:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2CaypEojjKQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for elves are your friends

Second for kill all your friends.

If that's the case, then skeletons are your absolute bestest friends for ever and ever

You're on the beach and this girl lures your commander towards the sea, what do?

Azrizonaicetea admin, can you upload finished game to the google doc?

Take care of her, gain her trust and convert her to the one true faith.

How to fix EA Ermor
>Pontifex now gets another 10% chance for +1 F/A/S/D
Because their paths are horrible as is.

How to fix Tir na'Nog
>Fir Bolg Druid now recruitable from forests (requires lab)
Gives them a very slightly easier time amassing researchers

How to fix Marverni
>Monster Boar, Sounder of Boars, and Contact Boar of Carnutes are now all Conjuration 0
Massed blood vengeance/regen boars aren't viable anymore, so there's literally no reason why they should be locked with such high research requirements.

How to fix Sauromatia
>Soothsayer now costs 1 commander point
Because 2 commander points for a fucking soothsayer is retarded

How to fix Bandar Log
>Markata upkeep per year reduced to 1/year
Because they're shit so they should cost the minimum amount possible to maintain. Also they're fucking monkeys. Why do they even need money?

How to fix Yomi
>Spirit Form retains magic paths and items
What's the point of them having another shot at fighting when they're unable to do anything useful?

How to fix Hinnom
>Bonus +2 bless points for Blood
They really like blood.

How to fix Mekone
>All Gigantes units now have kick
Because for a nation of supposed pretender hunting elite warrior giants, they're completely lackluster fighters.

How to fix Ur
>10% gold & upkeep reduction across the board
Because their troops are fat and stupid and weak and fat. Overpriced for what the offer in the battlefield.

>TNNs problem is (just) slightly hard research

How would you improve the nation then?

>wanting to improve filthy elves

They're a nation which caps out at W2E1A4N3 before 10% randoms.
What the fuck is that?

Literally the only standout thing they have going for them are the fortrec A2 glamourssassins.

It's hard to buff them without buffing Fomoria, since a lot of the easy "buff vectors" are Fir Bolg related.
Saying that, you *could* just clone the units then modify them, so TNN has slightly different Fir Bolgs than Fomoria (this is especially easy with gear-related changes; just say TNN cares more about them surviving in combat, or whatever, so their precious elves don't die).

I haven't thought that hard about this, and cumulatively it might be too much but:

-Give them the spellsinging communion Man got to their spellsingers. Pretty big one. Relates vaguely to elf rings and dancing.

-Add E1 to Fir Bolg Druids. Make em also forest-rec cause that is a fun idea and fits.

-If you don't want E1 Druids, add E1 base to Bean Sidhe. The goal here is to get them some innate access to E2, which will let them do a fair amount more. Elves have a link with the earth via mounds that it's not totally off-base to give them some Earth magic.

-Give Fir Bolgs some basic head protection. Increase gold/res/RP a very tiny amount if this somehow breaks them. Summod was going to add this eventually, but, welp.

-Buff Cu Sidhe so they're not trash. Doesn't matter how; make em cheaper, make em mountain-rec with how rec point cost, make their summon scale with magic level, give them that howl, whatever.

They aren't terrible anyway, but giving Bean Sidhe another 50% random path could be helpful, along with forest-rec Druids and leather helmets for the Fir Bolg.

How do you play EA Mictlan without wanting to kill yourself? The fucking blood sacrifice to spread dominion is annoying as fuck especially when you already gotta handle a blood economy.

>How do you play EA Mictlan without wanting to kill yourself?
You take a turbo bless but don't have to suffer your cancer scales so you're too busy shitting on everyone else to bother with suicide.

You take shitty scales, high bless, then just don't worry about your dominion except in your capitol and in threatened areas so you don't dom-die.

>(this is especially easy with gear-related changes; just say TNN cares more about them surviving in combat, or whatever, so their precious elves don't die).
I don't think it would be unreasonable to say that the Sidhe are kinder masters than the Formorians and give their Fir Bolg subjects better gear as a result.

It'll come back when I take your globals down by force, I guess.

Good luck with that.

Admin/ctis, as I said in the last thread my computer died today and I cant take my turn.

Please extend it for 48h so I can get it fixed.

Hyper shit scales, hyper bless and throne rush

Thanks, but I won't need it.

youtube.com/watch?v=2CaypEojjKQ

It's quite nice to finally be fighting a real person instead of stomping AI now, though. Time to actually do some strategic shit.

Do your best to enjoy your GoH while it lasts.

Remove elves asap. Not only are they untrustworthy, they are also stupid.

>do your best to remove every affliction your dai oni have gained over the course of the game
Already on it, don't worry.

Cringeworthy text from Helheim there. Bravo.

inbf
>hurr i was only pretending to be retard u guis
From Helheim, but gg Yomi. You lasted until the end even under attack by 2 nations since turn 5 or whatever.

>dude fuck diplomacy lmao we're just supposed to kill each other
As expected from worst elves

>I'm going to lose on purpose just to spite some anonymous opponent
/domg/, everyone.

Also why is it that Vanheim always seems to attract much better players than Helheim?

dw I'll play Helheim next game :^)

>Chad Van
>Virgin Hel

Can't really answer that, but I can say that Vanheim is the third easiest nation to play after big bless Mictlan and MA Ulm.

stupid helheim

>trying out niefelheim
>both neighbors are running max heat scales
On a related note, is this pretender any good?

It's not awful

Admin please extend.

Niefel has an easier time spreading cold than others have spreading heat, so all is not lost.

Also that build looks pretty standard, it'll do well enough.

Oh, I didn't look at the scales. You can take some sloth and turmoil for luck and magic if you want. Niefelheim doesn't recruit many troops at all if you go for the bless build

I've haven't really used thugs so far, are there any glaring flaws in it's kit? I was thinking of swapping the ring for the reinvig amulet to help with quickness fatigue.

I was worried about cutting into my income, but now that you mention it luck would probably outperform the loss anyway.

Reminder if you pick Quickness you're a cheeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaateeeeeeeeeerrrr

I think usually people use Skratti for thugs and Jarls as SCs.

>Yeahhhh, wow....
>.....
>good sir

What's the difference between a thug and a super combatant?

An SC is an upgraded thug.

SCs are thugs, but better.

Normally thugs are defined as up to ~15gem units that can raid provinces and weak forces by themselves. Mounted elfs and Bane Lords are the common ones.
SCs are...more, and are intended to take on larger armies.

There are several ways to gear a thug -

You take a skratti, give it a vine shield and a frost brand, and send it with a scout to collect the items so it can shift to wolf form. This is a budget thug, and it can beat PD but will die to mage support. You can take a niefel jarl, give it literally no items whatsoever, and have it do the same thing. Usually niefel jarls are expensive enough that you don't want to do this, when you can use a swarm or skeleton casting Gygja or a water bottle carrying skratti or any number of other things instead, but it doesn't require gems so that's kinda nice.

Then there's SCs. SCs are not supposed to just fight PD, they're supposed to fight armies. You gear the SC to become immune specifically to the enemy's army composition. You care less about 'efficiency' with the SC, so equipping a hundred gems of items on it is fine. It's not uncommon to use support units with the SC, like a Gygja with a water bottle and some gems scripted to cast Body Ethereal, Swarm, Returning to add some bonus delaying time so the jarl can buff.

If you are concerned about magic phase attacks to snipe your expensive SC, you can even use a bunch of tricks to protect them, like bringing a scout carrying a Shademail Haubergeon to let the jarl stealth out after he kills the enemy army.

Now that all said, there's no one set of gear for an SC (unlike thugs, which tend to have generic, cheap items that you almost always want to use), because you are gearing them specifically to counter an enemy army. If you're fighting Caelum, you need to be able to survive Trampling from size 6 air elementals and you need a ton of lightning resistance (I prefer a Larger bless on Niefelheim personally, which makes the first part easy). If you're fighting Ermor, you need sky-high MR and fire resistance. If you're fighting Pangaea, you need a ton of prot and ethereal. etc

A thug is a commander that hits people. An SC is something that kills an enemy army.

Thugs kill ~30pd and a small amount of units with weak mage support with clever scripting

Super Combatants can kill/rout armies, even with some mage support

>CoolStory finally got his veterans game
>It's in Polish

Truly the legacy of Malakal lives on

?

That reminds me, we should invite him.

You aren't trustworthy or that clever either, you kept lying about the position of T'ien Chi capital and saying how it was under attack by gorrillion of gorrillas and ripe for picking even though I knew perfectly well that you were lying since my scout was sitting right on it.

mad cuz bad

Sorry dude, I only now came back from work and checked last and this thread...and turn changed already.

Atlantis, at least have the common decency of setting yourself to AI after you get your shit kicked in so hard you don't want to play anymore instead of having me do that.

Says the dude who couldn't stop Mictlan from capturing all the thrones he needed. Really fitting.

Assuming you're Helheim, you're retarded, off yourself

I just want all of you guys to get along and enjoy playing some Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith together

Fuck off, Malakal

What, were you telling tales about the delicious Tien Chi capital to Helheim too?

Newfag here

Who the fuck are elfs, I have played several nations but haven't come across any elf units, are there just few of them or is this some slang meaning something else

What a creep

anything with stealth/glamour is elf

Every time I try to play I get gick fell'd on. No mods or alterations, latest version
Shouldnt be having memory issues
I just want to have fun with you guys

giants, tuatha, and vanir are called elves for some reason

The Van and the Tuatha/Morgen are elves, because their equivalents in actual mythology are where the modern idea of elf comes from. Commonly, anything with glamour is referred to as one.

Tir na n'Og and Eriu are Celtic elves (Sidhe and Tuatha)
Vanheim and Helheim are Norse elves (Vanir)
Fomoria also has some elves (Nemedians), but the nation itself is ruled by giants

Elves all have the Glamour ability, superhuman stats, very long lifespans, and strong Air magic

Magically-gifted humanoids that have insane lifespans and have better physical stats than humans.
Tir na n'Og (and Eriu), Fomoria, Helheim and Vanheim/Vanarus/Midgard are the nations with what /domg/ refers to as "elfs".
Tir na n'Og are actually the elfiest of them all.

The devs have acknowledged that wrecking you before you're even in the game is probably too imbalanced even for Dominions and are nerfing INFINITU NEXTUMISSIRE ROOP: ICEU MACE! next patch

Helheim, Vanheim, Tir'na'nog, Eiru are all elf nations, they're the nordic ubermensch elves rather than more typical bow wielding fantasy elves.

Not giants, Fomoria just has nemedians that are elves.

reinstall

I want your marcelle folder

Y'know, in comparatively much shorter RTS games, I didn't really like FFA, just sort of a once in a blue moon type deal. But after playing this FFA game for two months straight, I have to say, I really don't fucking like FFA.
t. not even losing

>in comparatively much shorter RTS games
like what

Now that Dom5 is out, can I finally move from Dom4 and take all my custom maps with me to Dom5?

Dom isn't pure FFA though, you're supposed to negotiate with people. You can't really do that in an RTS because of the time constraints.

No, you're not allowed

How do I change values in the map generator? I feel like there's too many water provinces being generated.

Either click "Few water provinces" in the random map settings when you make it, or go to tools & Manuals -> Random Map Creator to get more specific.

If you don't see the former, stop being a slow pirate.

Use the random map creator in the tools menu.

You can customize lot of the values there, generate a map and if you like it save or if you don't generate a new one.

AoE2, W3, Sins of a Solar Empire
At least that chaotic bullshit wraps up the same day you started it.
But /domg/ is autistic, won't chat out of game and thinks anything mutually beneficial is a trap and their signal to backstab first.

>SoaSE
>wrapping up
>ever
lol

If anything mutually beneficial isn't a trap you're playing the game wrong. There can be only one.

>But /domg/ is autistic, won't chat out of game and thinks anything mutually beneficial is a trap and their signal to backstab first.
Damn you game theory

Yeah but at least you sometimes get entertaining shittalking out of it.

Post your favorite modnation units.

FFA is imo pretty bad way of playing most games as it tends to subtract from what is actually good bits of the game in favor of one strategy.

Like in AoE2 in a 6 player FFA you might have someone being very weak next to you going for some greedy late game build but if you try to abuse their weakness (even if you win) you get shit on by someone else who went for the same late game greed build while you got bogged down building military.
Teamgames are much more balanced approach to having multiple people as opposed to FFA, even though 1v1 is the ultimate way of playing most games.

1v1 is a real shit way of playing Dominions though. Too many nations hard counter others.

ill join your disciples game

Ye that's true but you can arrange it either as
1) mirror
2) blind pick
3) disciple

I personally believe anything above 4 parties aiming to win is too much as it makes the preferred strategy to wait it out while others fight and then kill the survivor.
At least Dominions doesn't have economy building in the direct sense like lot of other games do so the advantage of waiting is less severe but being able to stack mages, search for sites and build forts and temples and troops in peace is still quite significant.

Most RTS games are distinctly different from how Dominions operates. Investing in troops and investing in economy are generally two different things that detract from one another, so taking out another player doesn't give you an economic advantage over the remaining players like it does in Dominions. That means that war puts you at a direct disadvantage in RTS games, while war can put you far ahead in Dominions.

That is true and the only real economic investments are forts and research mages and perhaps magic sites and certain items.
Even still being able to mass a critical number of troops or for example only fight people 2v1 is a huge advantage which introduces lot of the random elements like
>you played everything reasonably well but you now just lose because someone is being autistic and will commit his entire army to killing you while his nation gets picked up by a third party.

You are right though that Dominions is one of the more forgiving games in this sense.

Got that problem while hosting mp game. Solved by entering the game ny all races

>ny all races
By all races ofc

>entering the game by all races
What does this mean

Team games are the objectively best way to play Dominions, too, since you can balance the strengths and weaknesses of your team, whereas FFA relies on dogpiling the strong dudes and more often then not (in /domg/ games, anyway) suffers from too much backstabbing or fenceshitting among the weaker nations to actually stop the overpowered ones.
Every game I listed allows you to take over an an enemy's resourcing options. AoE2 and W3 use finite resources and encourage rushing, while SoaSE is like (non-popkill) Dominions where the gainz are infinite.

I need to redownload the map but the link is broken, can you re-host it?