What does Veeky Forums think of Adam Curtis and his documentaries ?

What does Veeky Forums think of Adam Curtis and his documentaries ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=x1bX3F7uTrg
youtu.be/eJ3RzGoQC4s?t=2h17m39s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bump

>What happened to our dream of freedom?
Sharia.

>how is hyperreal existential post-imprisonment even real lmao? just turn off your screens lmao

nice soundtrack tho

I watched Hypernormalisation last night. I think Curtis has a talent for editorial direction. The links he was trying to draw between these different tendencies was visually convincing, but on reflection quite a bit more tenuous. Anyway, too pat and quasi-linear--which is fair. Complexity is difficult to render in any format.

The consensus every time this thread pops up (every two weeks or so) is always, "Pretty good entertainer, but not a historian or educator. Enjoy, but don't take them seriously."

youtube.com/watch?v=x1bX3F7uTrg

/thread

Rambling, shitty editor who's in love with pointless stock footage. Makes very interesting arguments though, if you can sift through the pointless footage.

?????

The footage is what makes his argument. All his narration is in assistance to the images, to connect them and name answer of them.

What is historically inaccurate in his films? Which of his claims are suspect?

cool documentaries, I really like them. Only massive autistics would complain about them. If I want pure hard history I'd read a book. The fact you are even watching a documentary and not reading a book means you are looking for something other than pure information, and Adam Curtis is a good introduction into current affairs to be honest.

Watch his latest documentary, the hyperonormalisation one. There's time gaps with upwards of 10 minutes where stock footage plays and there's no narration whatsoever.

I know, that's what I mean. The footage is what's telling the story. How did you miss that?

We live in a world where, more and more, nothing makes sense.

Retard, he's purposely overstimulating you to make you think you've learned something but you haven't really.

He's one of the major propaganda artists of the modern era.

He seriously should be shot.

The Dollar

*Burial plays in background*

He is a fantastic filmmaker, and his use of editing shows that. Plus he never gets in front of the camera like Michael Moore. But because he is a filmmaker he should always be viewed with degree of suspicion over what he says and sometimes he gets info completely wrong.

really makes you think

But his "Century of the Self" is all about how 20th century propaganda -- better known as public relations, a field established by Edward Bernays, Sigmund Freud's nephew -- has been leveraged against us by corporations and politicians.

How can someone who exposes the propagandists be one himself?

think his shit sucks

My favourite segment
youtu.be/eJ3RzGoQC4s?t=2h17m39s

I'm sorry you have trouble processing visual information. I know it can seem overwhelming, but you need to understand not everyone has this same disability.

That's his only good documentary and just because he calls out propagandists doesn't mean he isn't one.

You're being very cringey if you think you look smart by claiming a 4 hour documentary with varying unrelated stock footage is somehow 'deep'. There are many documentaries which are far better. Just ask me and I'll tell you :).

How can I watch Bitter Lake without the messed up audio if I don't live in the UK?