/dfg/

enormous rodentness, graceful swimming, and resonant barking edition

Previous threadPLEASE NOTE: Dwarf Fortress has just received an update. If you play the newest version (44.05), be prepared for plentiful bugs and crashes. Do not complain about your bugs and crashes here, report them here: bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.05.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack (Alpha 44.05, expect bugs):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164123
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455

>Starter Pack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Melt
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Do you know what a Rat King is? If not, look it up.

Now imagine it was a vampire and also about ten times the size of a dwarf.

Jesus Christ.

>Toady hangs out with skeletons
I should have known

Skeletons.
This upsets me.

Is someone inside that skeleton? Spooky.

could someone explain decoration to me? i get the idea but im completely clueless on the process? do I just ask them to decorate with what ever and they grab random things and glue rocks, bones and gems onto them?

Yeah pretty much, but they'll always grab objects closest to them first.

is there any good suggestions for what to decorate and with what?

my fucking broker has been requested to depot to trade and all he does is PRAY TO RAL, WORSHIP, PRAY TO RAL, MEDITATE ON TRADE, WORSHIP

GO TO THE FUCKING DEPOT YOU SHITHEAD

HE WONT STOP

That's the basic gist of it.
The applicable workshops are jeweler for encrusting with gems, forge for studding with metals, crafts for decorating with bone and shell, and clothier and leatherworks for cloth and leather images.
Do to a long-standing bug, you can't decorate weapons with gems. Studding them with metal works, though.
If you want to decorate specific items (eg. encrust golden goblets with gems, instead of worn old clothes), the easiest way to do that is to put a stockpile next to the workshop and restrict it to the items you want.
If you have multiple decoration jobs queued, the closest item will always be the one the dwarf just finished decorating, and you get these Faberge egg looking things encrusted with ten different materials.

appoint a new broker and make sure some freak accident happens to that one

There's no mechanical reason to care. Go with your own sense of what might look good.

uhhh
does melting or something make bars? because suddenly i have 3x's the bars i started with

yes.

The brewing job kept getting canceled because of not enough plump helmets. But this not the case because I have more than enough and most of it is stored in a single pot.Upon further inspections, when the brewing were canceled, the word [tsk] appeared on the pot. It would seems that you cannot brew when a dwarf is using the pot to store harvested plump helmets. Is there a way to circumvent this?

Is it just me or does loading a world where you have retired a fortress before take much longer than loading a fresh fort?

yes depends on the object dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Melt

19th for I hate myself

20th for i hate the 19th poster

21st for I hate all of you and all the Elves.

s-sorry

update when

63 days

Fantastic.

BIG
DORF
BENIS

Linepoisons was a codex I had stolen from a goblin pit.
I had a similar encounter with amother human, but when I caught him he said something along the lines of "I will live another day!" And ran away instead of fighting like the other guy
Cool shit, I'll see if I took a pic when I get home

Anonymous was Europhoric after watching a /dfg/ die.

The only way I can think of is to restrict barrels, or move the farm, stockpile, and still closer together.

They will decorate something and then since that newly decorated object is now the closest thing, they will just keep decorating that same object. Its fucked.

He felt grim satisfaction after seeing /dfg/ die.

thanks for the heads up toady

writefag here

probably won't write anything for a while but had a question for future ref. Should I post as a I go in the thread or finish something and dump it all at once in a pastebin

hidden option c: stfu fag

What's the ideal skill set for your starting dwarves when you embark?

Doing a pastebin is the best, but post an image and a little description so people notice it.

I'll take dump everything at once in a pastebin with a dash of stfu fag.

it's too much autism and eventually migrants will come with all you need anyway.
I just click Play Now!.

give 5 points to carpenter and 5 to 2 growers (plant faster and produce more plants)

spend every single point on plump helmets

>he still uses barrels instead of large pots

Is there any reason to not play as either an elephant man or a rhino man in adventure mode? Their carrying capacity is amazing. I carry around a barrel filled with water and hundreds of pieces of meat.

>not playing as a worm man

Mechanically, no. But some people like to ~roleplay~ and shit. Also a fun challenge playing a weak character and still trying to fuck dudes up.

Outside of crafting mods, you'll basically be unable to find any clothing or armor your size, unless you made it in fort mode.

They're also boring as fuck to play - in vanilla very few things pose a serious threat to them.

>not using steel drums

>not using steel pots

>not using nether cap pots decorated with steel and FB bone
fucking plebs

Well, it could be problematic for folks who purged all the furfaggotry from their raws I suppose?

>not using demon bones
>calling anyone a pleb

or if you have DFhack just use alt+a to restrict the encrusting job to a certain item/material

Which is why you need to use linked stockpiles unless you want a single mega-bedazzled object.

fun fact: people tend to think that the skeleton is trapped inside the human body, so everyone here right now, even yourself, are making a big mistake

the reality is, your brain is inside the skull, so technically YOU are trapped inside a skeleton

>meditate on trade
oh the irony

d-DELET

>Is it just me or does loading a world where you have retired a fortress before take much longer than loading a fresh fort?
It's always like that. Because creating a fort in a fresh world ends up creating a fuckton new historical figures and events.

Miner / broker; miner / mechanic; carpenter / woodcrafter; mason / stonecrafter; farmer / marksdwarf; farmer / axedwarf

I just found a cool 22 level tall waterfall. The game can be quite beautiful even in ascii.

I got a bad feeling about the one in the middle. Is this what a fell mood looks like

>even in Ascii
>implying graphical tileshits are anything but god awful

Alright
Got some prisoners
Should I:
Drown them
or
Drop them 50z levels

who mentioned tilesets? I meant compared to 3d games.

You should keep them imprisoned until the war is over, then release them.

drop them 50z levels into water

really the skeleton is inside of you, waiting to get a chance and escape to the bone zone, but he is fucked because the brain is inside him in case he tries to do something

That's why big tiddy necromancers are the most effective, hypnotizing the brain with their milk bags while they extract the bones

build the cages in a room that you then pump magma into.

Sounds like some elf shit if ive ever heard it.
Also I dont think goblins sue for peace anyways

Post taverns.

I haven't ever made one so I need some inspiration.

anyone tried the Darkest Dungeon mod?

But its in my fort
What

throw them to the lions

>embark in terrifying biome
>everyone dies
>reclaim
>everyone dies
I've reclaimed over 20 times now. Over 200 dwarves have died in my madness.

Don't worry they'll all come back

I'm a font of creativity

Mine's fairly simple. I have another aboveground one for foreigners but I'd have to take a screencap of it.

Yeah. Wondering how much more the added emotion syndromes for the creatures in it will affect the game once Toady fixes positive emotions being overly strong.

What's wrong with barrels? I'm still on my first fort and I'm supposed to have some barrels once my dwarves actually do something other than sit in the meeting area with my starving animals that refuse to go to their zone. They seem nice. I can put stuff in them.

Pots hold the same and weight 1/4th as much as a barrel. Lighter weight = faster hauling

And if you make them out of metal, pots only use 1 bar, compared to 3 bars to make a metal barrel.
You also can't make stone barrels if you're short on wood, but stone pots are a thing.

an old one, second floor was a bunch of rooms for guests to sleep in

>3x3 stairwell

What did the goblins mean by this?

>3x3 stairs
>gigantic square rooms
>rough stone walls
>a chair is not even constructed

goddamn it, forgot the pic sorry.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH 3X3 STAIRWELLS?

My bedrooms are better

kinda small for the population and it gets crowded but i like it.

Barrels are superior because every barrel you craft is another victory over the insidious spread of elven cultural values.

>unsmoothed walls
>stones everywhere
>rooms arent even all complete
why would you think this is worth showing anybody

are you memeing? this is the worst possible configuration I can think of. Must take forever for them to reach their shitty rooms

>not using 2x4 stairwells

How do I change the color of my zones? They were pink, very visible. Now dark grey. Can barely see them because my floors are black.

>cant engrave constructed walls
WHY?

>commieblocks
sorry, you just invalidated your own argument

wew

Nice

Alright then. I'm going to make a new fort with completely insane designs instead. Here's the rough design for my dining room.