/sthg/ - Sonic the Hedgehog Genera

Welcome to the Sonic the Hedgehog General. Share art and music & discuss over new developments, ROM hacks, speedrunning, comics, and anything Sonic related.

/sthg/ #1187 - OG Chaotix Edition

>Sonic NewsGeneral Interest Links

Other urls found in this thread:

segabits.com/blog/2018/01/08/miles-tails-prower-character-designer-yasushi-yamaguchi-creates-new-artwork-to-celebrate-the-characters-25th-anniversary/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

LET'S TALK ABOUT CANON

pattu

Please god no.

Let's not.

So /sthg/, what do you expect the announcement at SXSW to be? New game, movie news, Mania Project Plus news? Iizuka publicly shames us for going troo far?

Honestly, Sonic's canon is so basic, it's not even that much of an issue. It has to be; it's a kids series. It's just shitposters who mangle things to get a rise out of people.

what if sonic was an anime?

>Silvaze
We're already off to a bad start.

Good post.

Mario "Tails" Plumber

All I want is some Mania DLC.

I want a 2D Sonic game like Yoshi Universal Gravitation. It would be cool to mess with gravity at any time.

Let's talk about how I'm going to be live streaming some level design at 8 PM CST. I figured it would be fun to show folks how levels get made while I work on the simple demo level for the dev kit.

This general is weak.

Sonic characters getting patted is cute, I will admit.

>live streaming
Wait, what? You're live streaming tonight?!

Everything is canon and nothing is canon. That's how it goes. Mankind has tried to arbitrarily assign borders on intellectual properties for thousands of years to prevent people from having the "wrong" opinions, and it never works out in the long run.

I find it both funny and sad that people are using a term and a concept created by the Catholic Church to oppress people as something positive. And even sadder that it's use today is the same as it was back then, to prove that "my belief is right and yours is wrong".

TROO FAR

segabits.com/blog/2018/01/08/miles-tails-prower-character-designer-yasushi-yamaguchi-creates-new-artwork-to-celebrate-the-characters-25th-anniversary/

>The image was shared on pixiv.net, and Yasushi included some additional details (or should I say “de-tails”?) on the character’s creation. Yasushi put to rest the rumor that Tails was meant to be a girl, stating that – if my translation is correct – a game magazine mistook art of Tails with too much chest hair as breasts and stated he was a she. Yasushi also said that Tails originally didn’t have the white area around his eyes, just black pupils, and that the hair on the top of his head wasn’t meant to grow from the middle but rather from the side.

>Also, while the games state that Tails is 8 years old, he was designed with 5-years-old in mind. This is interesting, as the American cartoon Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog has Tails age set at 4 and a half, closer to what Yasushi visually was going for. Finally, Yasushi revealed that Tails favorite car was the Lotus Super Seven. This was because internally, it was said that Sonic’s favorite car was the Lamborghini Countach, so Yasushi wanted Tails to have a car of his own. This is why Sonic CD‘s hidden art of Tails features the Lotus Super Seven.

>Never release 3d games by Sonic team again

>Keep releasing 8-10/10 review score tier Sonic Mania Sequels until the end of time

>Get welcomed back into the gaming community/professional review community with open arms

This is how we fix Sonic.

Remove all the trash ships and let the superior ship through!

Look at him, so young, so full of hope and courage.
Where did it all go wrong.

I like knowing this type of information. Helps as good trivia.

That won't fix Sonic, that would just be a slow and painless death for the franchise.

Huh, interesting.

>live stream
Great! I got nothing to do tonight, so I'll make this one.

>we get Mania DLC
>it's only missing zone transitions
Search your heart, you know it to be true.

I'd be okay with that

that's interesting because original story puts him at 10 which seems more believable for how he acts.

That will just lead to Mega Man fatigue. A winning concept repeated ad infinitum cannot hold, even if controls and design remain as good or better than ever with every game.

Kirby is beginning to go through this too.

Interestingly enough, AoStH has Tails at 4 1/2 to 5, while SatAM has Tails at 10. Yet AoStH Tails has endless freedom in the action with Sonic, while SatAM Tails is treated like a baby by Sally.

Having canon is important. It helps your series set boundaries and guidelines for itself. Everything has a proper canon and everything has non-canon parts of its own story. You can't simply ignore said confines under the "everything is canon" excuse. It just dosen't work.

I'm SO ready.

Maniafags are cancer. They literally bash every single game in this franchise, even the classics.

Merry Christmas guys.

I guess that's why he's 8 now, happy medium?

Reminder that Sonic is Santa Claus

I mean, I'd be disappointed by that being it, but zone transitions were something the game was missing, so I wouldn't be too upset. I still don't get why Mania got delayed, but Forces didn't, despite that game having a fuck ton of unused/cut content.

Best Santa.

Because AoStH Tails has a stronger Sonic role-model.

>Sally gets erased from canon
>first issue of IDW has him acting competently alongside Sonic
Really gets those ol' cogs spinning.

Tails being 5 is probably linked to an old idea that Sonic was 11. I wonder what the source of that is, though...

>it's for kids so it has to be low-effort
okay, badly nosehair

Good point

According to some autistic bozo in the last thread, these are the only canon games.
>Sonic 1
>Sonic 2
>Sonic 3
>Sonic Colors
>Sonic Generations
>Sonic Lost World
>Sonic Forces

Basically no hoes to disrupt the flow of the bros.

Nice canon, Sonicbabs.

>erasing every game from 1998-2008
Not even Iizuka himself is this autistic.

I loved Sonic and Tails dynamic in AoSTH

it's true

It's the same dedicated shitposter who's been going on & on about canon just to get a rise out of people for like, 2 months now. I remember one thread he kept going on about how "Sonic is trash, so canon is the only thing worth going on about." Just ignore him already.

I loved Archie Tails & his dynamic with Sonic, but I wish we got more moments between the two.

The only canon games are Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles and Mania
Everything else is non-canon shit

So THAT'S why Classic Sonic's from another dimension.

>the only ship that matters

>I loved Archie Tails & his dynamic with Sonic, but I wish we got more moments between the two.
You mean Reboot Archie, right?

>Silver
>spiky
Poor boy can't even roll into a ball he's too soft too flof

I mean, in Reboot, Sonic and Tails carried the team as bros for most of it.

It's one thing I liked about it, FF's were good characters, but they were allowed to fumble more to show how good the game cast was, but this meant the FF's could have more personal struggles.

Shame they're dead.
That being said, I genuinely believe my dorky lesbians have a chance of being in IDW.
That's a lie, Tekno's dead, but I think that Sally and Nicole have a good chance and that's something at least.

>tfw Christmas Blast on Cytube

After much analyzing, including pouring over game mechanics, storylines, cutscenes, voice acting, developer statement, credits, and promotional material, I have developed a fully comprehensive and 100% accurate list of every single canon Sonic game:

geordi x enterprise otp

The False Sonic arc culminates in the False World being erased in Sonic Eraser. However, CR Sonic presents a divergent take on Sonic Adventure 2. Is it possible that it occurs after the bad ending of Sonic Eraser, and that this is the False World version of SA2?

Yes. I didn't mind preboot (& it had some gems like WE'LL SAVE OURSELVES, or LIMIT?!), but the game characters were just so much fun post-reboot.

This so hard

...yes he can, have you played the Rivals games? Or Sonic Dash?

>what is Rivals

The game characters had a lot better interactions in the Reboot universe, they felt shattered in the Preboot one, desu, since their relationships were different.

>Having canon is important.

The problem with the concept of canon in the world of Sonic is that the only proposed lists and definitions of canon are fan-made. Sega and Sonic Team have never made any kind of statement about canonicity, nor would it in any way benefit them to do so. Why state that something "isn't a true Sonic game" and risk annoying some obscure fanbase when you can just be nebulous about it until the end of time? Nintendo certainly believes that. This is extremely amply displayed when Iizuka sits down to do interviews, where he just freely vacillates between all sorts of ideas.

And without any clear statement from the parent company and no prospect of ever getting one, we don't have a canon concept. We have a number of fanons, each one supported by various fan arguments aimed to make sense at a jumbled, chaotic series which was never designed to make sense.

As such, until such a day that Sega or Sonic Team actually do speak out or publish some kind of official document, all we have are fan arguments. That's what's pointless, because none of us have the authority to declare what's canon or not regardless how glib our arguments are.

the absolute state of capeshit brainlets

Really want that Ivy the Kiwi? crossover.

there is one clear "canon", everything made or sanctioned by sonic team has a certain consistency and fits together. everything not made by sonic team does not necessarily.

this is also closer to the original use of canon for fiction which distinguished only by author, e.g. doyle holmes books vs other holmes books.

>Posting logiteeka's clusterfuck media timeline.
Reminder that autist claims AoStH doesn't exist as a continuity.

I love how canon these boys are.

Well, they are canon in the Archie comics, if that makes you feel any better. Maybe they'll include those two in Mania 2.

What's there to talk about? It's already been decided. Here are the canon games:

Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sonic 3
Sonic Colors
Sonic Generations
Sonic Lost World
Sonic Forces

>this is also closer to the original use of canon for fiction which distinguished only by author, e.g. doyle holmes books vs other holmes books.

This is incorrect and a modern assumption. Canon refers to a series of documents or some form of creative works that are officially recognized, leaving everything else as "non-official." The concept refers to what books would be included in the Bible as selected by the Catholic synods. The idea that it defines works of fiction based on author only came about in the late 19th/early 20th century.

And even if we accept that sub-definition of canon, Sonic Team is hardly consistent or coherent enough to be considered a single author, so it's a pointless distinction.

I already insulted you for being a retard.

>this autism

This needs to be updated. What ever happened to this guy? He actually took feedback.

Iizuka confirmed Mighty is canon last year. No word on Ray.

>just black pupils
And a backpack?

True. I can get why some prefer the preboot moreso Ian preboot than anything, but for me, the reboot was the best era. I kinda feel like storytiming one of my favorite issues in here.

Why can't sonic just have a cool story again? Why does it have to be ruined by a whole bunch of low-iq Nintendo fags

Shadaze~

He confirmed their canonicity in the Classic Dimension. He said nothing about Mighty's existence in the Modern Dimension.

>beginning to

I would love for them to make an appearance in Mania 2, or any game for that matter, but I'm pretty sure they'll never be back. I don't know what Sega has against them.

>Interestingly enough, not canon has Tails at 4 1/2 to 5, while not canon has Tails at 10. Yet not canon Tails has endless freedom in the action with Sonic, while not canon Tails is treated like a baby by not canon.
Ebin

Thanks Uncle Mario. We try our best, but it's hard sometimes because of the annoying shitposters.

>He confirmed their canonicity in the Classic Dimension. He said nothing about Mighty's existence in the Modern Dimension.

Thanks for reiterating my post, champ.

Ask Iizuka about canon in his twitter

Tell me why you still like this franchise. Why are you still here? What keeps you coming back? Why haven't you given up on Sonic yet?

It's not a matter of SEGA having anything against them, they just have no ideas for them.

I wanna know what possess one guy to shitpost the same thing everyday for 2 & a half months. Do some people just wanna kill this general?

>sonic becomes call of duty

this is how you kill sonic, boost sonic keeps him in limbo, action stage only SA3 would be sonics breath of the wild or mario odyssey