/dfg/

Easy to identify but somehow still useless OP image edition

Previous Thread PLEASE NOTE: Dwarf Fortress has just received an update. If you play the newest version (44.05), be prepared for plentiful bugs and crashes. Do not complain about your bugs and crashes here, report them here: bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.05.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack (Alpha 44.05, expect bugs):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164123
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455

>Starter Pack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

a.uguu.se/oeQn5T3jPReJ_region2-00150-01-01-world_map.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

is it me or DFFD will never send me my confirmation email?

Might as well post some more content

the classic "copy paste stuff from the wiki" bump

I see. However my interest is not really for practicality, but for aesthetics. I would like to at least simulate a biome that is comprised of ruined industrial buildings, and I thought I could do this via re-purposing trees to look more like ruined buildings. My goal would be use trees with very wide trunks to get that feeling of winding alleyways and such, hopefully.

I don't use DFFD so i don't know if it's broken or not. If it doesn't come in a day then i would say try again but use a different file upload service if you REALLY have to send the file right away.

It usually stops the stupid questions from being asked.

Yeah, trees can't be set to do that. The only way to really get ruins is to find a world gen history seed that produces dead cities. Large numbers of necromancers usually work to kill cities, but they also tend to kill civilizations before they can grow large enough to create area-spanning ruins.
Other civs tending to fight one another also produces ruins, but also re-inhabit the conquered site too.

>The only way to really get ruins is to find a world gen history seed that produces dead cities.

Ah well see, I kind of want to turn the whole world into an urban ruin. I'm kind of making progress though because I've gone and replaced the grass with floor tiles (+ sign) so that's phase one. I am now deleting the majority of creatures so I can replace them with robots.

On that note, quick poll.

Should I use just + tiles for the floor grass or use what I'm showing here? The intent is to convey an inorganic floor in various states of disrepair. Is this good or does it seem unreadable?

>Large numbers of necromancers usually work to kill cities, but they also tend to kill civilizations before they can grow large enough to create area-spanning ruins.
No they don't. Worldgen necromancers don't do anything but sit in towers writing books and training apprentices. Their zombies theoretically come from worldgen battlefields, but there's not even a historical event for them raising their armies.

as long as you remember that various items are hard coded to relate to certain text characters, everything should be "readable" in the sense that you can tell the difference between a scepter and the floor; always double-check the wiki to see which text characters are used by what and choose appropriately.
even if you have to use a custom tileset to package with your mod to get the result you want.

I'll probably go with uniform tiles for now then, now that you mention the scepter issue. I'll revisit it later probably.

confused the necromancers with semi-/megabeasts

> when you're turning into Toady and are not quite sure what features are still active in the game

I can't wait until we're able to coat weapons and bolts with venom

Oh I'm really liking this.

You gonna camp out there user?

Not yet. I'm the user who's trying to overhaul the whole game into a postapocalyptic robotic hellscape. I have completed phase one, which was replacing most grasses with floor tiles so the ground looks artificial. Now I need to replace trees with similar artificial constructs, or something like them, and then replace the animals, and then add new sentient life, and so on and so on. Very exciting.

And to be honest, the whole reason I'm doing this is that once every sentient race is a robot that does not sleep, the sleeping army and refugee bug will be circumvented entirely and I can actually play adventure mode and enjoy it. Now I could just add the NOSLEEP tag to the vanilla races but that would not be immersive. Ergo a total overhaul is required and so I will do it.

Well I for one appreciate your autism user.

Thanks. Although with my luck I'm sure the bug will end up fixed when I'm about halfway into this project. Not gonna stop me though. On that note I may ask /dfg/ or some other people for donations of robotic fauna, but that is something for waayyy in the future once I have the basics ironed out.

Over-solving problems is something that I do as a matter of course in DF, but you're taking unnecessary effort to another level entirely. Godspeed, you magnificent bastard.
Are you the same user who rageposts in all caps about the sleeping army bug in almost every thread?

I have a couple times but not every time. I do empathize with his frustration because the bug does kill the game for me.

If the army are sleeping and it slows the game why cant you just come there in adventure mode and kill them?

Slowing the game down isn't the problem. I'll try to explain it simply because I'm bad at explaining things so here we go.

>army marches to location
>army found by adventurer
>army is now stuck in sleep forever, all soldiers no longer useful to civ
>civilization does not realize this
>does not recruit new soldiers
>no more wars for this civ
>repeat with other civ
>repeat again until every army is asleep and every civ is unable to declare war because the war that is currently going on is not finished and it never will be finished because everyone is asleep.

basically if you travel around in adventure mode long enough you're guaranteed to put a stop to civilizations doing literally anything cool.

Mhmm so just dont play adventure on your fortress save

But it also happens in adv mode on its own which is annoying.

But invasions happen in adventure mode too. And just offscreen in general. As I actually enjoy adventure mode this is bothersome for me. I mean sure if you only play fortress mode on your save yeah you're fine but I think its at least a small problem that one of the two main modes of this game is effectively unplayable in the long run because you will eventually put every historical figure of interest to sleep.

:( what stops you from going to the figure physically and punch it until it wakes up?

Doesn't work. Not even the DFhack Siren script will wake them up, and that is supposed to wake everything up. I dunno how it got like that but its super fucked.

bump

Big
Dorf
Benis

>Be me
>New-ish to dorf
>Decide to work my way up towards getting a king
>Build massive throne room in advance
>Use throne crafted from bone by a raving lunatic to honor his ancestors
>Finish engraving every inch of the 50x21 room
>24 gold statues
>Nobody ever went in this room, since I've been putting off getting the king
>A single child walks into the room
>what.jpg
>He slowly walks among the towering pillars, gingerly stepping toward the throne
>He sits on it
>He stays there for the rest of the day
>Initiate wistful flashback to childhood
>Think about how much power I wanted then, how much I wanted to be king. How much I wanted to change the world for the better.
>Think about how sad I was knowing I would never get it.
>Remember how I used to lock myself in my own candle-lit room, placing my chair at the furthest wall from the door and treating it as if it were a throne
>Remember the dreams I had of doing exactly what this dwarf was doing right in front of me
>This dwarf is me
>Assign the throne to him
I can make another one when the "king" comes.

So I've decided to dive back in after a few years and I'm currently generating my world with the default options and was wondering how long it normally takes? Currently at the 205th year of Myth and it's been going for about 15 minutes.

Ada?

What do you mean how long it takes? The world is ready to play.
There is a cap at 10k years though with default settings but you will need to let it run for a few days to get there.

I didn't come here to feel

Ah well apparently it ran it's course and capped at 250 years.

What is this superimposed image that I see posted on the internet?

It's some reference to capitalism?

It's making fun of Anarcho-Capitalism.

Does anyone know if dwarves ignore burrows to change their clothes?

This question is stupid. Therefore most likely the answer is yes.

>Start new embark
>Not even 5 minutes in find a large magnetite cluster and a gold vein.
Truly blessed by Armok.

See this

This is progress

just kill every single army you come across retard

Well yeah but at that point its a chore rather than fun, isn't it? Why bother spending hours slitting the throats of a hundred soldiers when I can go around making these sorts of things happen.

>hours
>killing 100 soldiers
lel it literally takes 5-6 minutes to kill 100 if they're sleeping

I know because I frequently walk into hamlets at night and kill everything

Really? Maybe its because I usually aim my attacks instead of autoattacking. Either way it just isn't fun to me. I'd rather fix the problem permanently by overhauling the game so that everything is robots.

What exactly am I supposed to do with 7000 units of siltstone?

MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGS

i love the look of large worlds but it isnt very practical is it?
a.uguu.se/oeQn5T3jPReJ_region2-00150-01-01-world_map.jpg

just feels so real and natural.

I find 65x65 to be best. If the map is too big civs take forever to march to sites during wars.

>Toady is finally adding outside cleaning

How fucking hype are you?

only issue is small worlds look like a cluster fuck to me and i like having tons of monsters but they rape every civ, its a shitty situation.

Smaller than 65x65 looks pretty shit. But if you set the parameters correctly 65x65 looks nice.

made the world down a size and seemed to come out alright, i spend too much time in perfect world just fucking with settings desu

Guess you can say he was...
Mechanically challenged...

so i just made this

perma cold world filled with a thousand + mega beasts, titans and general SHITTINESS

dont even know if its worth trying to make a fort in it

How do I stop my manager from digging? He won't do any managerial work because he just digs. I can disable everything except digging, which is always active, no matter what.

disable mining labor retard

remove dfhack if you don't know how to use it

> I can disable everything except digging, which is always active, no matter what.
He just instantly turns it back on.

I don't even know what that is.

You're using LNP you 0IQ dumb dumb.

Actually no.

>DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Helpful and all but still no. I'm just using normal DF, in ascii mode, and can edit preferences for anyone except my manager. His reset the moment I exit view mode. Its annoying because I only have 3 picks and I can't make any more until I get a new anvil.

Just the type of discussion I expected from /DFG/ - Dwarf Fortress Generalâ„¢

Today I learned a valuable lessons.
Dont use channels and ramps for mining operations

Why wouldn't you use channels for mining?

Somebody stop me

Well shit, zip up that savefile and send it to Toady. That's clearly an obscure bug no one's ever seen before.
Out of curiosity, did you send that dwarf on an off-site raid?

so what requirements do goblins need to spawn in world gen? they are always getting 3/4 of the civ slots in my world gens, unsure of what ive done?

They can spawn anywhere pretty much.

jesus christ they wont stop, i need to drop the bomb on them

i just dont want so many

They are the master race you limp wristed dorf boi.

Nope. Place seems to be going to hell in general now though. Everyone is refusing to do anything and several have ''entered emotional shock''. Not entirely sure why

Just plan ahead.

If I remove material, I
>start from the absolute top I want to remove, not in the middle
>go one layer at a time
>remove remaining ramps, smooth boulders and haul any stone/other items that is on that layer in a stockpile close by
>ideally leaving every second row of tiles. If the first batch finished, go back and remove the second row
>then continue with the next layer (i.e. remove leftover ramps/stone)

It's a bit of micromanaging, but it's absolutely foolproof this way. And if you got the hang of it and identified & removed bottlenecks, it's pretty effective too.

Sorry, I forgot: it should be channeling, because that removes the wall below AND the floor.
So:

>start from the absolute top you want to remove, not in the middle
>go one layer at a time
>remove remaining ramps, smooth boulders and haul any stone/other items that is on that layer in a stockpile close by
>channel every second row of tiles. If the first batch finished, go back and remove the second row
>then continue with the next layer (i.e. remove leftover ramps/stone)

>perma cold
>thousands of monsters
>perma shittiness
>is it worth making a fort?
what are you waiting for?

Looks like me first fort is finally dead. Like 40 dudes got stuck in my meeting room for no apparent reason (the other 20 or so dwarves would walk through the door I made no issue) just kind of stuck on tables even though I slated them for removal. Now everyone is going insane. Hoping the next fort is a bit more fun; nothing happened in this one.

Just gave every dwarf in my fort a crossbow and quiver.
Time to start wars

Maybe consider giving them ammunition too.

>cheating

how is that cheating?

ranged combat is cheating

traps are cheating

hatches are cheating

bridges are cheating

constructions that block access to your fort are cheating

>Topic: Dwarf Fortress' Negative Representation of Migrants and Refugees (Read 495 times)

Go home, user. You're drunk.

Seriously?

>if refugees and migrants conformed instantly to dwarven culture and values it would be an example of bigoted abelist imperialism FUCK WHITEY
>since refugees and migrants don't it's an example of racist anti-refugee rhetoric implying they don't assimilate into the countries they go to
I hope Toady realizes these retards will never be happy. Idiots like this always find something to bitch about because they have empty lives devoid of any kind of enjoyment or meaning.

Ranged isnt cheating because half the time they charge forward and smash them with the - Wooden Crossbow - instead of shooting the - Steel Bolts - at the forgotten beast.

delete your dwarves from the burrow and then delete it, that should work

I'm being really sincere when I say that you are a genius user

A really non-functional autist too, but a genius nontheless

I just want to play dwarf fortress really, but thanks for the encouragement

I love me the dwarf and I built me a quantum hyperfort some years ago.
what are some fun goals I can have to play again with the newest version? I got the itch

if 3x3 central stairwell is apparently BAD

what is the alternative?

a 10x10 central stairwell

all up/down stairs

>apparently
>not even trying to understand why

Regardless,
>a smaller stairwell; i.e. just as big as you need it.
>a more interesting design than just "a central stairwell"
>spiraling ramps
>a more horizontal fort

How to make fort
>channel the entire map down to hell
>build a sprawling town on the surface of hell out of cast obsidian

imo i think a well designed central is quite interesting.

just seems a horizontal fort is asking for inefficiency and low FPS

modular grid based fortress with 2x2 on every corner

>a well designed central is quite interesting.
a 3x3 grid that goes all the way through the fort is not "well designed" though.
>a horizontal fort is asking for inefficiency and low FPS
Inefficiency maybe, but low FPS isn't necessarily connected to an effcient fortress.