Minecraft General /mcg/

whatever this thing is edition

1. WELCOME TO MINECRAFT GENERAL /mcg/

We discuss Minecraft, modpacks, projects, build ideas, etc.
Share server stories and keep the screenshots coming, we want to see builds!
If you develop mods or anything Minecraft related, keep us updated for feedback.
Don't spam your server or discord here, use the list from the link below to advertise it.

[!] Performance problems in 1.10+: use foamfix+Optifine (turn off terrain animation)

2. NEWS

[02 jan 2018] The oldest news in this OP are now 1 year old. Congratulations for never updating this shit

[31 dec 2017] MultiMC5 0.6.0 is out, featuring easy downloading of Curse modpacks and more.
>multimc.org/posts/0-6-update.html

>[2017/Jun/30] Noodlor's Castle Collection is completed! Including a world-download:
imgur.com/a/NeywO

>[2017/May/14] GoG update is finished:
mods.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft/228948-grimoire-of-gaia

>[2017/Jan/02] asie has been working on FoamFix, FabricMC and others.
asie.pl/foamfix/
github.com/FabricMC

3. USEFUL LINKS

>/mcg/ General text (to contribute news and info for the next thread)
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/mcg-op

>Modding Tools & documentation:
mcforge.readthedocs.io

>Curse downloader
github.com/TOLoneWolf/curseDownloader

>how2dostuff for newfags
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/mcg-modfaq

>Server list (own a server? Please move to the new Serblist.com)
serblist.com
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w0Nywo6sZcexcYb46hTOfAwElaeUlPoCC4DKRFcMWYQ (Old)

>Ideas & Inspiration
mcnoodlor.imgur.com/
elworrier.imgur.com/
imgur.com/a/JPif9

>Castlefag's map
mega.nz/#!h3hi0TQR!areDzeQYr6RACXyDX-HE49BEIePIHze3liNoXg6Dhqg

>Cracked MultiMC for Linuxfags
anonfile.com/UcRapfdcbb/multimc-cracked.tar.gz

Other urls found in this thread:

anonfile.com/f8P96ad4b1/multimcforpoorfags.7z
donatstudios.com/PixelCircleGenerator
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Don't you fucking let this die like the 400-post thread we just have.

It's because there's nobody playing the game in Europe other than me.

This is one of the few generals to not regularly have chinese cartoons in the OP, can we please not change that?

Don't bring up the ebin chaika xDDD days, those were dark times.

Why not disable BoP and have decent leaves? Or install OptiFine?

>disabling BoP
Not happening unless there's another mod that adds gangsta slums

Thank god this general is back up. I want to talk about modding minecraft but everywhere else on the internet is awful for it.

>tfw have an idea of base
>have no clue how to set up factory and energy stuff, can only think how tall of a wall i will make and where i will put my farm

You didn't think of a general concept for your base? That's one thing I consider whenever I make a custom modpack.

Slowly starting to learn minecraft modding. I've been looking at open source mods to learn how to do certain things and also because they're my direct inspiration to even make mods. The fucking difference in some of these code bases is just wild. I'm not a huge stickler for code being clean or organized but some people are just fucking bad at it.
Also there are a lot of 1.12 mods that are using really outdated methods, so many just don't leverage capabilities at all.

Holy shit I think I just managed to successfully compile a MultiMC build that doesn't need an account
Fuck you build guide on MMC's github for missing one step
Now time to test this shit

No, i kinda lack everything creative so right now i just play a modpack and look in horror what endgame looks like.

>memevers
1.7.10 or burst

>>
Literally the only chingchong ish character, though some monsters are from grumpier of Gaia. I think it makes sense that a succubus doesn't look like a block.
I took most of my inspiration from sword and sorcery and horror novels. That particular character is like a small respite. My favorites are the dark sorcerer and the Errant knight lady.
Some characters have questlines you can complete for items and more. There's 5 companions, all of them with different skills. All of them stackable, but difficult to obtain.

For the first hard boss, the demonic avatar, you can summon a rogue barbarian who can nearly solo him. But for that you always have to explore thoroughly.

Fuck that guy, your stuff is looking great so far. I think your writer's voice for the lore stuff is weak though. It sounds way too much like you making a /mcg/ post than a *lore entry*
Write like you're one of those wizards painted on the side of a van.

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot modders learnt java just to make mods. Not surprising there's a load of terrible code out there.

Since documentation is scarce, know you can just ask questions here. As for capabilities, the story is a bit more complicated.

>new day, new /mcg/ thread

Thinking about putting together a "neo beta" pack. I've been making mods for beta directly for a while but it's such a fucking pain and there are like three people in the world that still actually play those versions.

Generator?

I feel the same. The actual dialogs were fun. But the more needs more work. Lore reminds me of dwarf fortress character gen. It needs to be more organic.

Should I install Immersive Engineering, Mekanism or Magneticraft? I want to have only one tech mod

I forgot what are the prominent mods for beta versions. Any refresher on that?

I would like to hear more on why that story is complicated

mekanism is more complete, IE is more aesthetic, Magneticraft is a mix of both

I'd say aether, better than wolves, and the various technic mods were / are the big ones

>can't decide whether my base aesthetic should be medieval, nip, industrial or future-industrial
>don't want to play until I decide
>all 4 interest me to some degree
send helb

Build 4 different themed bases for each of the mods

I vote against Industrial and future-Industrial. Those are the most boring directions mods have taken.

>each of the mods
user this pack has like 185 mods
Those are of interest mainly because I haven't actually done either of those themes in anything I've built.

A mod list could help. My trimagic modpack with TC4.2, Witchery and Botania is set in the Wild West.

Not medieval, it's been the dominant theme of MC builds since fucking alpha, it's boring at this point.

Then build 185 bases ;)

Look for architecture styles that are doable but different. For example, Pueblo towns, Mesoamerican, or monolithic. Or if you have a ton of tech mods and enough mods for aesthetics, go fucking Kowloon.

>monolithic
Anyone have any good monolithic builds? Digging into a cliff and building a bunker doesn't count, you should actually shape the rock.

>Monolithic
Sure user I have lots.

Lol user, what the fuck?

I'm realizing today that memeverz Rustic doesn't have all the blocks in it that it has textures for.

Mapping more today, think I finally have some quality sketches to go from.

Looks like everything went well enough, adding accounts through MultiMC itself doesn't work for some reason but I put a default accounts.json file in there so all you need to do is edit it if you want a different name. Also I have no idea how to change the default skin from Alex to Steve but think of that as your punishment for playing on memeversions you fag
anonfile.com/f8P96ad4b1/multimcforpoorfags.7z
Hopefully updating it in the future will be easy enough. And there are probably more dlls than necessary there but you can never be too safe.

epic

what's the max TPS that makes it possible?

Actually, that's a FoamFix bug. Known, fix will be out tomorrow

Any mod out there that adds something like the vanilla cauldron but more than one block? I need something that holds liquid that a player can get inside and is multiple blocks big

railcraft rain tank, agricraft tank

The TC smeltery? I don't know if it can hold arbitrary liquids though.

What are some decent tech mods? No lasers, flying exo suits or shit like that, I just want stuff to process ore or build automated ore processors, farms etc.

immersive engineering

Does it have enough content on its own? Which mods would you recommend I'd combine it with?

Would love some extra food or plants to grow and process.

>base a modpack entirely around leveling up your skills in order to do literally anything
>never address the fact that getting experience in Minecraft is handled very poorly
>to the point where mining coal is a much better source of experience than killing mobs or doing anything else
Ah yeah, now there's some quality pack making.

magneticraft?
and for extra plants there's always growthcraft

Haven't played minecraft in like 5 years
how hard is it to set up a private server with mods?
did the jap doing the monmusu mod update and made even more mods? I member the valkyrie being a pain in the dick
Has vanilla added anything at all?

What is the best mods with cute anime girls for 1.12?

I'll take a look at those mods, thanks.

Do they feature ways to transfer items like through tubes or conveyor belts? And do they have decent storage options or do I need AE?

Do anime girls have dicks?

>how hard is it to set up a private server with mods?
pretty much drag and derp
>Has vanilla added anything at all?
not really

which step were they missing?

P U R G E

>1.7.10 has comfy Thaumcraft addons
>1.12.2 has comfy Immersive Engineegring addons
what to do

Immersive engineering has a great conveyor belt system, and some storage options
I'd just add any mod with barrels for mass storage, but add whatever option you fancy, AE is a decent pick, I just don't like how it's aesthethic clashes with Immersive Engineering's

I looked those up, unfortunately the first two can only hold water and the last one doesn't really fit.
Thanks though, I'll keep looking.

Adding the zlib bin folder to your path, I only caught it because I noticed all the "zlib1.dll missing" messages while compiling it through the command line.

I'm in the middle of porting IE features from memeversions to 1.7.10, I should finish in about 2-3 weeks, after that I may try to port Immersive Petroleum and Tech

Can someone familiar with forge explain why mods even need to be ported to new versions? Why can't forge offer a stable API?

I seem to remember 1.8 changed the way models are handled in the base game, and instead of providing compatibility forge just broke the old system? What the fuck kind of dev practices are these?

yes

A lot of people in the modding community for this literally learned Java from either other mods or shitty youtube tutorials, and the only thing they have to go off of for coding standards are Mojangs own practices, which kinda makes you understand the state of some of this shit.

That's compiling stuff for ya user, at least they link an installer, and have a nice guide for building on wangblows in the first place.

Forge tends to use vanilla minecraft systems as a base, which change over time. Also, big mods usually require altering vanilla code via asm/coremods

Also, forge is basically Lexmanos who rejects help from modders and is apparently not a nice person to be around, cpw and recently mezz.

auschwitz

Are there any pics of these, or is this all just some meme?

My friends and I wanted to host a server and wanted some neat terrain generation without using Amplified. Are there any custom generation presets people use a lot or do people just use modded biomes?

BASED.

>Can someone familiar with forge explain why mods even need to be ported to new versions?
Forge is not an API. Forge didn't break the old system, as it hardly provided the old system in the first place.

Forge is best described as a layer of intercompatibility hooks on top of Minecraft's engine bolted onto Forge ModLoader, its mechanism for loading JARs into the game's classpath. (That is not strictly true nowadays, as Forge has also added in some optimizations and will sometimes stage vanilla bugfixes earlier than the official game, but for our argument it's close enough.) The intercompatibility hooks merely expand the capabilities of the base game; their goal is not to provide an abstraction layer with anywhere near enough coverage to allow deprecation or emulation of old codepaths. (That was the goal of NOVA, but it failed and collapsed under the weight of such a task; nowadays, amadornes is working on an "API to handle changes between current and future Minecraft versions" of some kind called MAIL, which I guess will be a bit closer to McJty's CompatLayer in design.)

For your particular example, the pre-1.8 rendering system was not provided by Forge, but rather by Minecraft; all Forge did is add hooks in specific places to let your code execute instead of Mojang's. With 1.8, Mojang replaced the entire rendering system with a new one, with proper abstractions, support for JSON model files instead of hardcoding all models inside the game, as well as design for multi-threaded chunk rendering. (If you were curious why BuildCraft and Tinker's Construct keep crashing in 1.7.10 with OptiFine's multicore chunk code, well, the engine was never designed to allow threading in the first place at the time.) Forge couldn't just keep the old system in a clean manner, so instead they scrambled to add hooks and logic to the new system which allowed for functionality modders wanted. Eventually, by 1.8.9/1.9, Forge's rendering system (which has grown to be a fair bit more complex and include a block renderer with vastly improved ambient occlusion calculation, an animation system for JSON models, etc.) became much more powerful than what most modders could do by themselves in their own mods, and thus it became adopted.

Capabilities were initially added in 1.10 as a joint design by LexManos and cpw, if I remember correctly. While they're generally an improvement, especially in terms of cross-mod compatibility, over just putting interfaces on tile entities, they have a few flaws. Notably:
- They're a bit of a "jack of all trades". Capabilities are designed with applying to any object in the game in mind (currently that means tile entities, entities, item stacks, worlds and chunks?), but they're really best designed for tile entities. The EnumFacing parameter is hardly useful anywhere else, and...
- Item stacks in particular have handled them very wonkily for a long time and still seem to feel most iffy out of all the capability implementations. Developers are thus reluctant to use them on those, even if the situation has vastly improved since then.
- No caching. In particular, TileEntities provide an isInvalid() method which effectively allows you to cache the neighboring tile and increase performance - capabilities are explicitly designed to be uncacheable: you can cache the backing tile entity, but you're expected to call hasCapability and getCapability every single time. This is slightly slower than just casting an object, and is the reason for which, say, KingLemming still uses the old interface-based approach for Thermal Expansion (even if I don't believe the cost of using capabilities is anywhere near as high as other power-transport-related calculations myself).

In other words, they're not perfect, but they're much better for cross-mod interactions and ensuring somewhat cleaner code than putting @Optional.Method everywhere.

Guy with memory leak problems here. I'm starting to think it isn't due to a certain mod I have. Pic related, you can see vanilla Minecraft is using 1.2 gb when I got 512 mb allocated.
But I'm not sure if it's normal for Java to use a bit more ram than allocated, or it's caused by a leak?

normal, memory leak is when the memory is rising over time. keep monitoring, if it doesnt rise up to several GB it should be fine

Can you clarify something that I've been trying to figure out: No matter how you implement it, if you want to make a bock that you can interact with, you need both a block and a matching tileEntity right?

It is rising, but only when I'm loading new chunks (not necessarily generating them). It only happens in my modded instance like that too, only much faster.

It usually goes from 3 gb to 4-5 in a few minutes in my modded instance. Much less so if I'm actually playing and not flying in creative, since I'm mostly just running around in my base. Then it could take an hour or so to use all my free ram, and slow my computer down.

Use the f3 menu to check how many chunks are loaded and if that number is tending upwards

Here, a circle guide to guard against ded threds.

Why not just use: donatstudios.com/PixelCircleGenerator ?
I use it all the time and it's much better than static images

If it does actually grow far beyond this, and the number in "Allocated memory" does not grow to match, you're dealing with a native (non-JVM-allocated) memory leak (usually OpenGL/OpenAL-related?).

Wrong. Block.onBlockActivated is one of the many things you use for interactions, but they're all either events or methods on Block.

Generally, you only need a tile entity in I think four main cases:
* you want your block to tick alongside the game,
* you want your block to store state more complex than what IBlockState allows for (currently that's a 4-bit meta number stored to disk, it will become more powerful in 1.13 but it will still have to be a predetermined # of states)
* you want a dynamic renderer that also ticks alongside the game, just on the client,
* you want to implement cross-mod compatibility in a way which requires tile entity-specific interfaces.

Interacting with a block is not one of them, unless of course you need one of the things I mentioned above.

I'm not sure which one's loaded chunks, but none of them is constantly rising.
Red is at most 3k.
Blue is constant, only changes when I pick a different renderdistance.
Green is constantly fluctuating about 1000.

It's got to 1.8 gb by the time I'm actually posting this. About the allocated memory part, that doesn't change in this vanilla instance, but it increases slowly in my modded instance.
Any idea how I could fix that if what you said is right?

Because tradition, you shitfuck.

Either is fine really. No matter what you still have to refer back to something outside of the game. Thats why I typically use Botania's Worldshapers Sextant since it actually shows you an outline in-world.

I should have worded it better. One of those things is exactly what I want. I'm trying to make a simple fluid tank that you can fill with a bucket or fill a bucket with.
I just wasn't sure if there was some other way to do it that I was missing because a lot of these tutorials tend to go "here is step 1, and step 2, I'll post step 3 in two weeks" and the last post by them is months ago, or sometimes years ago.

>but it increases slowly in my modded instance.
Debugging native memory leaks is something I haven't found a sane way to do yet. Sorry.

So what you want is the more complex state - a fluid tank! That's what you'll be storing in the tile entity.

What version are you targetting? The steps differ somewhat for pre-1.10 and 1.10+ versions.

Can I do something to stop the 'flickering' where a chunk goes invisible for a split second every so often? It seems to be related to optifine multi-core chunk loading, but on one pack it's fine while on another it's causing this issue.

remove rendering mods until it's fixed, then you at least know which mod is causing the issue. Are you using optifine by chance?

i've had this issue as well

You need to force something off in the graphics card settings, but I can't remember what.

I hope this is true, if so then I'll say that you're doing god's work.
Any advances?

The thing I was looking at said to implement IFluidTank and IFluidHandler and I know FLUID_HANDLER_CAPABILITY factors into this somehow. Although while writing this I see that forge already has a FluidTank that implements those and I still don't know where the capability factors in.

The part that gets me is that I don't know if this tutorial is outdated or if there is some reason you'd want to make your own implementation of FluidTank

wow, very aesthetic

love the carpenters stairs in that one copying for my build

>slopes

Looks like that one place from subnautica
Honestly I think slopes are alright as long as it's a high-tech aesthetic

Are the iron nuggets produced by poor iron ore supposed to not stack? Having to babysit them (or use a hopper) is a pain in the ass.

Are those some BROWN BRICKS