/sqt/ - Ask crypto questions here

>helping sad nocoiners edition

Due to an influx of nocoiners shitting up every thread with purchasing questions; I took the liberty to create a quick tutorial on how to buy cryptocurrency and altcoins, as well as configure wallets and stake.

How to Purchase AltCoins:
pastebin.com/2z0Dspc8

Please use this thread to ask questions.

Where do you nerds sell your coins when your done making bank. Coinbase doesn't buy btc in my country.

He snuck in a referral link and is telling you to sign up for a trash exchange, don't listen to this chump.

Note: former nocoiner here that tried the coinbase route

Their support is shit if you're not amerifat

In my specific case, expat in yurop with an unsupported passport, getting id'd was impossible and they still haven't gotten back to me on that for 4 days now

So I went with kraken.com who make the process much easier. Sending EUR to it took 1 business day which is fine by me

Pity, the coinbase app is very nice and kraken doesn't have one for Android

>What's margin trading all about? Do the gains justify going through the hassle of getting my Kraken account to T3 for a medium-motivated (aka I take care of my investments but I don't watch all the charts 24/7) newcoiner? How hard can I get fucked over?

>What does 'sat' mean?

>And now probably the stupidest one - How do I read a chart like pic related? I know that the top one displays the current value (= price of one unit) of a currency, but why are there multiple lines and bars and dots? Is volume the same as market cap? What's MACD and OBV? I can google the terms myself but I can't quite figure out why they are important to me when I consider buying or selling.

Sorry for being this new.

>Sign Up for a 'YoBit' account using this affiliate link, or another

OP was pretty transparent m8, also what's wrong with Yobit (genuinely curious)?

It's based in Russia and even the Russian government is investigating them for being a scam-- you know how shit you have to be for the Russian government to care?

Enjoy your wallets being taken down for maintenance and your balance never returning. I bought .5 BTC of a coin and during the transaction their wallet went down and I never saw the money back.

this shit you should google user because thats the bare technical basics and has nothing to do with the experience a trader gained can explain better

Thats like asking a cycling what a pedal is and how it moves you forward rather than what kind of pacing you should go, what training schedule he has and how he prepares for a race

>you know how shit you have to be for the Russian government to care?
Considering they endorse shit like Onecoin and other MLM noncoins you must be really shit if the russian government starts to care

"Sat" is short for "Satoshi"; which is an alternative medium of representing (generally) small amounts of btc.

Basically, all you do is remove the zeros at the front, and add "sat" at the end.

For example:
0.00000020btc = 20sat

someone tell polofags to move to amazon autosacling group, this fuckers down again

Should I put all my Eth into ripple?

Finally yes, this thread has been a long time coming

how do i turn my paypal bux into coins to get rich with

>What's margin trading all about? Do the gains justify going through the hassle of getting my Kraken account to T3 for a medium-motivated (aka I take care of my investments but I don't watch all the charts 24/7) newcoiner? How hard can I get fucked over?

Margin trading is about putting up some amount of your own capital (the "margin") in addition to borrowed funds from the exchange to increase your buying power. It magnifies both gains and losses, and should not be taken lightly, especially in markets that are already volatile as fuck.

Unlike when you actually hold a security, on margin your equity only makes up a portion of the total purchase price, and all gains/losses come directly out of your equity. For example, if you're leveraged 10x (meaning 90% of the purchase price is borrowed, and 10% is your own money), then it only takes a 10% decrease in the price of the security to wipe your equity out, at which point you lose it all and the exchange closes your position.

>What does 'sat' mean?

Sat is short for "Satoshi", the smallest unit of measurement in bitcoin, named for the founder. One satoshi is 0.00000001 BTC, as bitcoins are divisible to 8 decimal places. As many shitcoins are priced relatively cheap, it's easier to refer to their pricing in sats

>And now probably the stupidest one - How do I read a chart like pic related? I know that the top one displays the current value (= price of one unit) of a currency, but why are there multiple lines and bars and dots? Is volume the same as market cap? What's MACD and OBV? I can google the terms myself but I can't quite figure out why they are important to me when I consider buying or selling.

All the other shit is indicators. The standard candlestick chart is the most important to learn and you should do so if you haven't already. After you're familiar with reading plain candlestick charts can you start reading about indicators and learning how they work and which ones are useful for crypto.

can someone update it to tell us how long transactions take? btc from coinbase is taking like a fuking week? really wanna buy some ripple or xem but feel like its also gonna take a week just to use it. if none of this is instant this game sux

Thanks a lot my friends

Is gatehub a good wallet to use if I want to buy XRP

Is there anything of use on this board except sperg baits and hypes written in ALLCAPS over hourly/daily fluctuations of various currencies?

Can anyone give me a TLDR on capital gains tax for someone living in the UK?

What is the diff between ETC and ETH?

C/H

Why is purchasing bitcoin so laboursome Verifications, extortionate transaction fees, limits on deposits, few payment methods, lots of dodgy sites. Don't recieve coins instantly.

I just want to dump €10000 --> BTC without all this hassle.
Coinbase want me to jump through hoops just to get a €250 per day limit.

Is Spectro or Kraken any better?

Eth has devs

can you day trade crypto?

>First i have to buy bitcoins and after that i can trade for altcoins?
>From where can i buy bitcoins?
?Whats the best trading platform? Kraken or Poloniex(i can`t use jewbase)
>Do i need a wallet? And whats the best wallet if so ?

Poloniex has the highest volume of any crypto exchange
I use Kraken for funding and Polo for trading

You are half late m8

Signing up for coinbase right now and awaiting verification. What's a good altcoin exchange? I was thinking poloniex but bittrex seems like a solid option too. Would rather not have my assets all over multiple exchanges so which is best?

Bittrex all the way, Poloniex is a scam.

it's laboursome to keep lazy normies like you away from these gains

Just do Polo and Bittrex
Poloniex has by far the greatest volume but Bittrex has most of the least scammy shitcoins very quickly and some good volume
Plus Bittrex has PIVX

OP, how to purchase anonymously at a price closest to spot?
anywhere I look they demand ID, personal information or offer exorbitant prices far above spot

And what`s the use of wallets if kraken alraedy has a wallet.

Is it dumb to buy 200 dollars worth of ETH at 90.54 on coinbase?
I just need to make some side money

>go to actual bank
>give any and all personal info about you without question
>trade and exchange money
>go to crypto exchange
>expect to not give any kind of personal info
>still want to exchange money
wut
Go to your local bank and tell them you want an anonymous account

What do you intend to do with the ETH?

I know a lot of people here are talking about setting up lending bots on major exchanges (bitfinex, polo, etc.); you could try something like that to earn some passive income. You still have to worry about the safety of those exchanges, though (since in order to lend you have to deposit your funds on that site in your lending wallet)

I was under the impression that crypto does not give a fuck about who holds what, only how much and whether it's valid
kinda beats the purpose imo

They don't
Until you want to turn that into real money

can't reach mars without the normies.

anyways after further research I've decided that btc is crashing below 1000 in the next few months. I'll wait til then

I am severely triggered by cryptos. It is has no rational basis besides memes and logical fallacies by people pushing their coin so it is basically like gambling.

I will ply my energies towards learning about actual companies in the real world and gauging their direction on the stock market.

Thoughts?

honestly my plan was to just hold it for a long time and cash out down the road
lending would probably require more than what I have

Anyone know how to buy coins with paypal safely?

Hello everybody, complete noob here when it comes to trading/investing and need complete donkey guide. I've been following with one eye the cryptocurrency boom and predicted few coins to go up or down by just pure logic. I have never invested/traded anything in my life and have few questions. I don't really have time to study cryptocurrencies for the next 1-2 months for more than a hour per day so I would appreciate some solid answers.

1.) Is this 'boom' going to last for next few years? For the past couple of weeks/months a lot has changed and I saw ETH, BTC, LiteCoin and now Ripple boom, was also sure about TrumpCoin exploding when he won. I feel I've missed out on this and feel kind of bad about it really, even though I have no idea and shouldn't invest in the first place.

2.) If yes (you think it's going to boom), what kind of coins should one be looking at? How do you spot out a good coin out of hundreds of unknown coins? A good team behind it/developers, solutions in world applications? But aren't there a lot of solutions out already? Is it possible there is a coin out there already that just waiting to explode, but people/world haven't meet it's criteria for its applications yet? What are the chances?

3.) If no, why? Why should I not invest my time into researching/trading cryptocurrency.

4.) I've set up Kraken and CoinBase account, but they have only limited currencies to buy. Let's say I've done research on an unknown coin that I believe is gonna boom, how do I find a good platform with which I will be able to exchange and buy/sell fast? Is there a multi platform currency managment site (I know there must be dozens of it out there, but need someone with experience to tell me what is the best after fees, etc..)? It also seems big pain in the ass converting and exhanging between different eWallets for every little unknown coin out there, that I want to buy after I investigate and invest into it, but is this just how it is?

5.) Is it worth going into it? I can make 3-4k€/month with playing poker, I'm 21 and starting college this year, I don't really know what I'm going into with investing into cryptocurrencies. It seems that you have to spot one shill coin correct once and it can make you a nice ROI%. However, trading shill coins when they are being dumped/pumped seems kind of risky and I have no idea how that's done or how to spot that out.

6.) What's good bankroll managment? If I were to go all in on few things I thought were going to explode, I'd make some nice money by now, but yeah, have absolutely no idea.

7.) What should I learn about Market Cap, Volume, Circulating supply, etc..? How is all this connected? Example that I've just read from some user:

A: I look for extremely low cap coins, invest a healthy amount and wait. I've made $350k doing this. FRN is top of my ****coin investments among some others.
B: Why do you call them ****coins if it's making you so much money?
A: Because they're worth ****. But a good crop can be grown in a big pile of ****.
B: How much money is lost trying to cash out the cryptocurrencies? How much of that 350k did you actually get?

Me: I have no idea how to interpret all of this, because I have no idea about anything. First thing I ask myself is:
1.) What are low cap coins
2.) What is crop and how can it make ****coin go up?
3.) Why do you lose money trying to cash out ****coins (other than fees)?
4.) Where can I learn things like these and implement them? Is there any basic cryptocurrency guide out there THAT IS GOOD, or should I just learn along the way about stuff?

I don't know what else to ask at the moment, neither do I have time.. It's just kind of irritating, because I wanted to throw 2k€ in Ripple a week ago, but of course told myself that I'm crazy and to not be stupid and invest into something that just other people tell me to invest into. Also in TrumpCoin before he won elections and ETH when it was 5$ or something like that, etc.. However, I know I'd make a decent amount of money if I were to go back in time and invest into everything my gut was telling me to invest. I hope you understand my struggle and maybe I just want to hear what some of you guys, that are more experienced would say to yourself when you began investing into coins. And what would you advise yourself now?

I completely agree with this user, because I have no idea, what would you tell him to convince him and me otherwise?

What are the best ways to keep up with current trends and new tech related to crypto? Any good blogs/twitter/sites?

not necessarily for investing tips but thats useful too.

I'm still holding posw
How schould i kill myself ? Needs to be cheap and painless

Why did my transfer of BTC from coinbase to Polo take out about 45%...

1) none of us know the answer to this, and anyone who says they do is a rat-faced liar. I've been in crypto since 2013 and I'm personally pessimistic that this lasts longer than a couple of months, it's been too much too quick.

2) you need to inundate yourself with information. Try and find telegram/discord/slack chats with likeminded indviduals and benefit from collective groupthink and research. If a coin looks promising on the chart, research more and find out if they have a published roadmap, slack chat, anything that gets you in contact with the devs/community to find out what their plans are, and how competent the team is. A lot of making money on the ground floor is just knowing the coin team can market well and get that first round of normie capital in

3) it's a market that offers the potential for above-average returns, and non-correlation with traditional assets. Portfolio theory implies that adding BTC to a more conservative equities/bond portfolio should actually reduce overall portfolio risk given your position sizing and asset allocation

4) buy your btc/eth/whatever on reputable sites like coinbase, then once you have the coins, you can transfer them easily to smaller exchanges that are crypto-only and offer hundreds of alts for trading

5) it's worth it if you have the mindset that you're long-term BTC and other super promising alts, and everyhting else is short term trading to try and generate btc/eth profits that you either hang onto, or cash out

6) don't risk more than 2% of your bankroll on any one given trade. much more is available online if you just google it

7) if you don't understand the basics, then just learn the basics. market cap is the total cumulative value of all coins in existence, the larger it is, the less likely a coin will "moon", given the scale of capital needed to do so. circulating supply is important to know if it's a pre-mine where the devs hold 90% of supply, or if the supply is freely trading on the market.

>buying digits in the cloud
>banks develop their own cyrptos
>your BTCs and ETHs 404
>The game restarts
>mfw

>implying the broader crypto community will want anything to do with JPMorganCoin

lmao

>implying the crypto community will have a choice.

You can't beat the banks.

>I feel I've missed out
You missed some opportunities yes, but we all do. There's new opportunities appearing all the time when it comes to investing or really anything else. Crypto is still a very fresh and promising market, just because you missed the very beginning, bitcoin, doesn't mean you lost any possible chance of profiting.

>ow do you spot out a good coin out of hundreds of unknown coins?
There's no cake recipe for this. You should analyse the cons and pros of the action, use your discernment and logical judgment based on your knowledge about the action and the market to determine If you should bet your money on it or not.

There a few ''rules'' or questions I ask myself when analyzing If something will boom or not, like:
>It's innovative? What does it offer/has that its competitors don't?
>It's useful in the sense of real use? Like, do you think that many people will have a interest in using this?
>It has potential to be used by big companies? Or do you think that big companies would be interested in it?
>Do you think that is, can be or will be accessible to the average joe and not just to geeks that search for this kind of stuff?
>How do the company presents itself or its service? Appearance and presentation are very important to create trust and to draw people into your service. In other words, these are important factors to decide whether something will be popular or not.

The rest is up to your own common sense and personal judgment, which will depend on your talent and knowledge about the matter.

Also, if you are going to invest on crypto, don't be like those people who just buy or sell at any given change in the market. You have to learn to hold, as this is still a very new and volatile market, If you bought because It was very promising, trust your judgment and don't sell at any given dip. Think long term.

Yes
It's not too late user

Wallets and keys, how do they work?

Please tell me if I got it correctly:
1. I make an account on an exchange, they set up my hot wallet.
1a. Wallets are programs that read the current blockchain, which is the public record of transactions and certify how much crypto I have.
1b. That wallet has an adress code (same thing as public key?) and generates a private key code I use to authenticate transactions and write them in the blockchain. Hot wallets are vulnerable to hackers and fuckers stealing my private key.
2. For bagholding, I can download a wallet, install it on an air gapped computer, generate an adress and a private key, and print it. I send the money from my hot wallet to the cold wallet adress. This is safer, because no burglar would steal a piece of paper with random numbers.
3. If I want to sell it, I type the public key in a hot wallet and the blockchain will tell it how much I own. Then I type in the private key I printed earlyer if I want to move it about.

Pls help me fund your ponzi schemes.

Where do I hold coins like XRP and Sia coin?
Right now they're just sitting in the exchange waiting to be stolen.

gatehub?

I see it can hold XRP but can it hold Sia?

Ok so you leverage 10x, does that mean if there is a 10% increase in the security you make 10x more than you would have with your own equity? Is it possible to owe an exchange money if you fuck up margin trading?

is $1000 enough to start gambling crypto? I don't want to hold, I want to get more money.