/scg/edg/ Star Citizen Elite Dangerous General #260

I am you, and you are me! Edition

Star Citizen Information:

Alpha 3.0 PTU is released for all backers. You must download the new patcher from the RSI website.
install.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/RSI-Setup-1.0.0.exe

>Comprehensive look at the current state of Star Citizen
youtube.com/watch?v=IbhBNWU0Rxw

>Squadron 42 Vertical Slice
youtube.com/watch?v=qcHAfaQh3QE

>Jump Point Links & Content Summary
pastebin.com/Cd9wQ9YB

>FAQs
pastebin.com/267DHffX

>Star Citizen Official YT
youtube.com/channel/UCTeLqJq1mXUX5WWoNXLmOIA

>Other games:
pastebin.com/cugkem8w

Above is a pastebin of games you can play while waiting for SC to become playable.

Elite Dangerous v2.4 is online with improvements to base game and dlc content.
Frontier announced a new expansion called "Beyond" and will offer it for free to everyone who bought horizon.
Season three will focus on refining core gameplay and introducing new content.

3.0 Beta is live and free for all commandos! Patch notes:
forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/401680-3-0-Open-Beta-Patch-Notes

>Frontier Official YT
youtube.com/user/FrontierDevelopments/videos

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/sfhDIPBswqw
youtube.com/watch?v=BHR1aEdTA4M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

does anyone have the original of that poster in the background

>Scam Citizen's strain of autism has spread to Excruciatingly: Dull

I guess it was only a matter of time.

Glad Derek could take time out from not developing games to spend time with us.

>implying all of us space sim faggots aren't a special brand of autism

but dont you go lumping me in with elite:dadgerous

More like Erectile: Dysfunction, cause of all the old dads who play it.

Well since his subreddit was closed and the refund subreddit is sick of his shit sock puppet.
He has to find somewhere else to pester SC backers, his own forums are practically ghosttowns and his twitter account has blocked 3/4 of the known planet as trolls.
Did he survive his day in court I never followed up on that.

I'm so tired of you nerds talking about Derek Smart
>WOW LOOK AT HOW IRRELEVANT HE IS LOOK LOOK
Fuck

youtu.be/sfhDIPBswqw

What else are we going to talk about SC's mining mechanics and SQ42 missions?

I missed that subreddit. I got most of my SC news by seeing Derek scream his head off about it and there is no way in hell I'm going to actually go to his Twitter.

Learn what a plosive is.

Anyone who unironically gives a shit about Derek is a cultist trying to cope with cognitive dissonance by using him as a scapegoat and boogeyman.

WHEN
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Isn't it in patch 3.1?
That seems to be the indication isn't it?
More importantly will February's ATV on SQ42 be on the 22nd or 1st of March?

>scam citizen
>release date for anything

Q4 2035

I've seen em all and I haven't seen that

what autism are you referring to?
it could be so much worse. chris-chan has a wiki and a 419eater style forum dedicated to him.

>interdictions are still enabled

>posting meme

>AAA development
>10 years
stop posting this cult propaganda

AAA games take 2-5 years.

I'll have you know that the Call of Duty series of games, a gold standard that every AAA title should be held against, only has 3 year dev times

Oh I say he is right you know.

>being this fucking bad

Dunno about you, but I don't particularly enjoy dropping out of QD 2-3 times on a single route, only to be greeted by a lone Caterpillar every single time. Not only that, but the entire server drops to

> Not only that, but the entire server drops to

Hilarious and original

Lets all meet up and co-op on an universal combat server said no-one, ever.

Sure lemme load up...
>Even a site dedicated to playing old games can't load it.
Nyeeeeh

sorry cultists, you may not like it but this is what a peak performance gamedev looks like

is he the Uwe Boll of games?

You’re all retarded

who's the real retard? the retard or the retard who spends time with retards?

>AAA game
>5 year
Call of Duty, Skyrim, Fallout, Assassin's creed are copypaste of their previous engines with visual upgrade and still riddled with bugs. All the games who started with new engines were in production for 5 to 8 years before they start advertising anything.
CIG even had to create their studio from scratch.

>All the games who started with new engines were in production for 5 to 8 years
to completion.
>muh studio
not an argument. plenty of AAA games were made in less time by startups.

november 2014

>not an argument. plenty of AAA games were made in less time by startups.
Name one that meets or exceeds SC's scale and proposed features.
Corridor shooter 201X with limited vehicles sections is not what you'd really call a challenge to CIG's game.

What is defacto best module sniping weapon? Plasma? HY cannon? Missile? SP Rail?

>5 to 8 years to completion
Yeah, shit corridor game sequel from studio who are settled and have years of experience, spending more in advertising than developing their game.

It's gooncult-tier shit argument

>Name one that meets or exceeds SC's scale and proposed features.
Dwarf fortress.

Nice post fagtron, you type that yourself?

No, because Uwe Boll's movies were merely bad, but they functioned as designed.

it's difficult to name something that matches something that keeps inflating in scope

Which is why it's fair to name something that matches it as intended to date
Since announced/planned scope to change has only been pretty recent, and that's planetary content being pushed up.
Before they acquired the majority of their budget they had a reasonable scope until it became an unreasonable budget and reasonable feedback from the community agreed to reset the project. So it's always been a AAA game that actually deserves the title.

Since y'know, AAA games to date only had franchising to wave their dicks about, rather than just being an indie game with some balanced support.

>Since announced/planned scope to change has only been pretty recent

>Last stretch goal was like $63 million
>Also it was around the time "free potted plant for everyone" was the norm
Yes user

TIL 2014 is still considered recent.

why hasnt there been a free fly weekend? i want my budies to see what this game has become(and hopefully what it can be)

SC stretchgoal only stopped in 26/11/2014 and because of procedural planet they they had essentially restarted the development by 11/03/2014, so Star Citizen with the scope we have now didn't start development before at least 2013, so it's been 5 years.

In comparison GTA V development took 5 years with a team of 1000 from the start

using this logic DNF started development in 2009

That reminds me, isn't today the court date for something related to CIG vs Crytek?

I'm not paying attention to the lawsuit. Too much drama over legal formalities.

Using another logic Skyrim was built atop Bethesda previous Creation Engine, so Skyrim took 16 years to reach its current state.

using that logic star citizen was built on top of cryengine which first saw the light of day as a tech demo at E3 1999 making it 20 years

By that logic we were all built on top of a few base elements which first saw the light of day as a tech demo a few billion years ago.

Making Star Citizen four billion years late

using that logic, Darkie Shart is a nigger and goons lost eve

soon that "nigger" will own star citizen after cevat wins the rights to it and recognizing derek's passion and skill, hands it over to him for completion.

How much do you need to back to play this game?

Like 45 bucks

at least $300

>20**
Not falling for that again. I don't expect to see it until at least 9000

What scope? Jpgs don't equal outcome. They haven't produced shit so far.

Naw dawg. Don't be trippin on sat sheit. If you want a fair comparison of development times you compare the current state of star Citizen with a game that took as long to develop as SC has been developed. You want to make it even fairer you included result scaling based on staff numbers etc. Star Citizen is a real mess and cr is one of the worst project managers going around.

be fair, 3.0 is a barely functional planet tech demo.

$35usd during sales for permanent access to the mmo half of the game. 45 otherwise.

Wait for another year and check back if you arent already invested, its still far from being a realized game and if youre not super Into its dev progress you'll just ragequit and uninstall inside 5 hours.

This is a dayz standalone tier project, take that as you will. Just be aware that its nowhere near being a consistently enjoyable game with any longevity.

-$450 backer who plays plays the ptu purely to report bugs, and then briefly plays live to confirm old bugs

Did 1.0 have the best flight model?

>paying $450 to work in Chris QA department

>i want my budies to see what this game has become
CIG isn't as optimistic as you are. What do you think your frienda will really think of sub 30fps with single digit spikes, on top of all the other broken shit?
We haven't had a free fly because 3.0 is a fucking dumpster fire, and I hope it's finally sinking in that they can't release this broken shit any longer and still call it ok. The shitty pre-alpha period has to end at some point. 6 years into the project, they should have something decent playing by now.

>and then briefly plays live to confirm old bugs
this is sad beyond belief.

150$ backer here

>$450 backer who plays plays the ptu purely to report bugs
>purely to report bugs
Fucking horseshit. That's just a rationalization for the fact that the game is broken as fuck and not playable as a regular game.
2.5 has been the best so far. Everything they have tried since 2.6 has just been worse and worse. They are trying to dumb the game down to the lowest common denominator. The problem is CIG has underestimated just how fucking stupid most backers are.

2.0 was the peak

2.0 was good also. If they could put 2.0 guns on the 2.5 model, we would have something. OP guns and a OP flight model. Unfortunately, no one at CIG is actually any good at SC, so they have no idea how to make an actually deep game.
They think if one person can wreck face, then there is something wrong with the game, not the dozens of scrubs that don't even know the keybinding.

>nd cr is one of the worst project managers going around.
>Chris Robert made like 5 games of the years and defined the code used by space sim
>even his half-finished Freelancer was a success

But you are right. He is the kind of producer who need to be put into a cooling tower surrounded by control rod to keep him from going supercritical.
He will save space sim if we can keep him from adding submarine warfare to Star Citizen.

listen man the game is already dead. they spent over a year on double precision. 2 years on the planet tech demo and then at the same time announced they had just begun work on procedural city planets with interiors which will take another fucking year at least. they're also selling plots of land for a base building feature which probably doesn't even exist on paper yet and will likely take another year just by itself.

the game will never be finished. the only reason wing commander was finished was because he had origin and EA brass breathing down his neck. the only reason FL was finished was because he ran digital anvil into the ground and microsoft bought them up and kicked him off.

>procedural city planets with interiors
You're right, there are a lot of concerns, but I feel compelled to say the interiors they showed off have nothing to do with procedural cities. It was a tool for designers to develop the layouts of outposts, space stations, etc., and have it filled out with assets. The procedural cities are just terrain that looks like cities.

I really hope they don't add boats and subs. That would be 200% feature creep. That faggot disco lando hinted at it during citcon(?) this year.

Shekel Scam will never see completion. Give it up, shill.

Actually doing that would be a nightmare. It's the only thing left they could realistically decide to add at this point, and it would take so long and be so pointless.

If it does get announced, I hope it gets an appropriate amount of backlash. Oceans and shit would be fine though. Perhaps some cities that can be visited down there, hand crafted of course.

>hand crafted
fuck no. that shit was always a pipe dream. and by now it's literally impossible. they have 100 systems to finish. at least 10 of them before 4.0. If they had gotten the base mechanics down quick and crunched content non-stop for years they might have had a chance at doing it. But what have they actually done? There's Olisar, Levski, ArcCorp and Grim Hex. 4 "hand crafted" locations and they're not even really finished any of them. Now imagine each system has like a dozen landing zones at least. 1200 "hand crafted" locations? never gonna fucking happen.

They are gonna crowd source it when they finish the tool set. Last slap in the face of the backers is finishing the game themselves to "help CIG with the scale" and "be part of the development." I'm sure there will be a pledge amount for buying your own dev kit too. And you won't be able to melt ships for it.

No. They're already having large bodies of water. Being able to enter them is unacceptable. There's just no reason.

it's kind of a cool idea. but it's really something that should have been on the table to begin with instead of changing the scope yet again.

didn't evochron do underwater spaceships?

>Rework 50% of cryengine and do more with it than Crytek in less than a year
>Generate entire planet with Crysis-level graphic blowing everyone's mind
>Are constantly told something is impossible and succeed with 90 players 60fps
>Show a demo with 120% more features than most AAA games
>Completed all this in less time & with less employee than it took for Rockstar Game to mod their previous game and switch the name from IV to V.
>Still have a budget double of everything they've spent.
>CIG is 'already dead'

Take some Vertical Slice of cake42, it will cure your compulsive lying (and cancer)
youtube.com/watch?v=BHR1aEdTA4M

This remind me something they said when they first started on CryEngine, they were wondering why the spaceship didn't behave like they planned, and then they discovered that by default Cryengine considered everything "under water".

>Show a demo with 120% more features than most AAA games

is the fact that they only have a vertical slice by now supposed to impress me? all it tells you is that they're not even 10% done with SQ42.

>making excuses for why the feature you wanted to have finished isn't in
fucking unprofessional. no wonder they need stupid whales, any sane producer would throw them out if they did that in a pitch

>unironically playing up the nobody has ever made a space game before angle
wew

>shilling intensifies
T E N B U X
E
N

B
U
X

that should be something for expansion

>implying what CIG show is everything they have

Remember when we discovered they had procedural moon and Levski 90% complete?
Remember when we discovered they had procedural planet kick ass sandstorm and all the tools to make green planets
Remember when we discovered several capital ship were 90% complete?
Remember when we discovered they had prefab with wear and effect for every environment and weather?
Remember when we discovered they had Arccorp planet and Hurston far along and no one knew?
Remember when we discovered they have real size nebula and gigantic traversable asteroid with Reclaimer?
Remember two days ago when we discovered in the AtV the Hammerhead was actually pretty far along?

Remember all the times someone kept saying 'that's all they have' and CIG casually unveiled big surprise no one knew about?

I didn't say fly into them. Merely visit. Have landing pads on land above, elevator brings you down.

>lies and engrish
Is this the BR user again?

>They were wondering why spacehips didn't behave like they planned
Have source? Want to read.

cryengine by default does not really support not having water. the standard way to make a map without water is just to have it below the terrain. they probably removed it in a dumb way.

25 pesos have been deposited to your account

The proc gen city is strange. The geometric patterns of individual city blocks are very similar to that of the planet's surface when looking at it from orbit.

the meme is GR now, follow dude

I think Dagor Engine does that also. Fall under every map and there's an ocean.