/indie/ - Indie and Misc. Games General

Only making this because no one else will edition

Previous thread >What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as Hollow Knight, RUINER, Cuphead, A Hat in Time Heat Signature, LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, OneShot, Rimworld, Age of Decadence, VA-11 HALL-A, Subnautica, FTL, Machinarium, DashBored, Darkwood, Card City Nights 2, Braid, Monolith, Rain World, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, West Of Loathing, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles. Absorbed the /lite/ general some time ago and /jrpg/ is welcome.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

>Link to the winners of the GTP Indie Cup.
pastebin.com/u9TYjkj3

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-MtmoMHODfM
mega.nz/#F!tXRwBL4K!vHd3IEFQrgBz-OCPNATKmw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What's a better term for character progression in a game? Like, literally getting stronger with new attacks, more hp, ammo max up, etc? Because I want to know if I can't happen to find more games where the progression isn't just "The game's harder now, you never are allowed to feel like you're powerful, just capable of dealing with more bullshit and sensory overload."

Metroidvanias and games with RPG elements are like this, but it's really hard for me to name it without just using both grouped together even if the games are almost nothing alike.

What's the point of playing a game like that?

A sense of growth through game mechanics? I mean, yeah the game getting harder is nice, especially if it actually has a difficulty curve instead of a difficulty mountain range.

looking for a non-hardcore CRPG. I'm pretty new to the genre so I'd like something more forgiving. any suggestions?

Don't go to sleep too early now

bitch it's 3am

And you think that's an acceptable time to go to sleep?

apparently not since i'm using niko as an avatar in vrchat

I'm talking about the bird infiltration mission.

CRPGs are easy, just put all your stats into combat.

play Underrail on normal

Good taste

Got all these images of Niko and not a single one where he's giving a thumbs up. That's fucked up

Get a gun and hold someone up so they give you a hug.

I'd never played a CRPG before and I didn't find DivOS or PoE exactly hard, even on the hard difficulty.

I don't think the public Niko avatar has finger bones

I just meant images in general

Too much bowling. Broke all his fingers.

Quiet you

Do you guys have any opinions on Halcyon 6? I got this space game itch that needs scratching, but the lack of discussion on this game makes me fear that I might only waste my time playing it.

It's a turn based RPG, with ships

So I got the crystal heart(fuck the soul master) but didn't seem like I could get any further in crystal peak right now. I'm checking out part of greenpath that I thought was opened by crystal heart(it's way in the southwest) but it's hella fucking effort and I wanna know if this is worth it before I waste more time on thorn-ass jumping.

I'm pretty sure this leads to Nail Art upgrade, arguably best one.

ffffuck. Nine health at most is not enough to handle this shit comfortably. I also brought the elegant key back to the soul lab and this miniboss is also a giant asshole.

if niko isn't a cat, why does he have whiskers?
checkmate, atheists

youtu.be/-MtmoMHODfM

Friendly reminder to do your duty and report off-topic shitposters and shills.

You want me to report the whole thread?

Hi Recluse. Still salty about /pol/, but too chicken to go against them, so you shitpost here instead?

Wait, that loser was a /pol/tard on top of being a scrub with a whiny voice?

Reposting a last time so everyone sees it
A Hat in Time's B-Side soundtrack
mega.nz/#F!tXRwBL4K!vHd3IEFQrgBz-OCPNATKmw

Add this to the OP.

By the way, if anyone can recommend me a game's soundtrack and I like it I'll share that one too

Maybe Cuphead, but I already have that one. You should still listen to it.

>Midnight. A presence dominates your Lodgings. Its fur-trimmed robe is the red of blood on snow. Over your chair hangs a familiar brown sack, bulging with offerings. Londoners give generously to the Crimson Beast of Winter. Anything to be rid of it. The figure stares into the fireplace, smelling of soft musk and harsh ammonia. "I require a sturdy vessel and a captain. Yours comes recommended. You will suffice."
You are fucked.

That happened to me during one of my first runs. I had no idea where the places he wanted me to go was. Never been so stressed while sailing.

How much of yourself can you give before there is nothing left to take?"

I didn't realize I had Subnautica in my steam library till yesterday. Was it in a humble bundle or something at some point?

Im aquaphobic and can't swim irl, so at first it made me anxious. But 3 hours in and I am having fun. I've got the basic tools and equipment now. I can build a base,,, but I don't know how. What goes on top of the foundation? I can make round compartments but they dont seem to be connecting to the foundation..

You don't need foundations for anything, the only thing they're good for is to build exterior growbeds on them.
Just build your tunnels and room connected to each other and they'll automatically anchor to the floor below.

>the only thing they're good for is to build exterior growbeds on them
Sorry but no, you need them at first to make a solid base. Tunnels and rooms drains your base's resistance.

Ah okay, this image is really helpful. thanks.

posting memes

Just slap some reinforcements on the walls you're not using.

You don't have reinforcements at first.

You unlock them early enough, don't build a super large base until that point then.
Foundations are kinda crap to position correctly if the area isn't already flat and they're ugly.

What game are those characters from

Dragon Dogma.

DivOS2 looks like.

Can I have some platformers recommendations? I already know Super Meat Ball, Shovel Knight etc.

2D or 3D?

Either (I've played AHIT).

>I've played AHIT
There go my recommendation then.

>Hollow Knight
>Braid
>Psychonauts
>La-Mulana
just from my steam favourites.

Bumpo!
If you want plenty of Platformers, the entire I Wanna be the Guy fangame community. There are literally thousands of them. With at least a hundred good ones and more than a dozen quality ones.

Salt&Sanctuary
Guacamelee
Axiom Verge if you like Super Metroid

Are there any consoles worth buying if you play indie games almost exclusively? The only exclusives are AAA, I never had problems with keybord even for games for which pad is recommended, I haven't dug around that much but the only games I want to play that aren't on pc are some shmups (mushi futari and g darius are considered must play all time greats) maybe mario odyssey, maybe few more at most.

The ataribox?

>indie
>on console
Huh? But aren't consoles, like, anti-indie?

>eshop
What? Since when do consoles have eshops?

user, I..

user...

Oh, it's recent then.

Is Don't Starve not that good or are survival sandbox games just not for me?

It's not for you.

I love wandering aimlessly in a wasteland but even I couldn't get into Don't Starve. Maybe it was the aesthetics.

Some hate Dont Starve, other spend thousands of hours on it. Might be not for you.

>Celeste blew up while The End is Nigh went pretty much unnoticed
>both are pretty much the same game but the creator of the former is unknown for average gamer while creator of the latter has huge following thanks to meat boi and boi
explain this

>Pretty much the same game
No, the end is nigh is FAR more brutal, painful and rage quit inducing. I... I feel like the game abuses me at this point. There's ZERO room for error in the end is nigh, with pixels being the only room you have to work with.

Celeste at least gives you SOME breathing room.

I have PLAYED the cat game

I have SAVED the cat

Those kidnapping robo-cunts can go FUCK themselves

Congratulation.

You did the right thing

I want to hug Niko.

recomande me some good rpg(indie of course)

Tried Hard Resert Redux, not sure what to think of it.
On one hand, using weapons is really fun, and the enemies get more and more damaged as the fight goes in, so it's really fun to shoot them full of bullets and see the plating coming off.
On another hand, the sword arrives too late, the basic enemies push you around too easily, and there aren't enough different enemies. At first glance, the basic mooks and the kamikazes look the same.
And also, giving the player the sword just before spawning a lot of kamikazes is a dick move.

Underrail

RPG or RPGMaker specifically?

I wish posting a crying Niko was a bannable offense.

rpg

What if they're tears of happiness?

Well, it's okay then.

EXPEDITION
SOON

Expedition cancelled soon!

A Hat in Time's twitter retweeted my 8/16bit boss remix.

I wish I'd spent more time on it.

ded

>no mine income
>running out of time on my mercs
>lost two mercs

Looks like this playthrough of JA2 is crashing and burning

fucking love how Mercantile is actually worth it now
getting extra dosh and better quality components early is a god sent.

Tell me about the robot. Is it a boy, or a girl? I know it's definitely not a cat

It's a machine.

But is it a boy or a girl machine

The characters call the robot 'they'

If you consider 2006 recent, sure.

I suppose we'll have to wait for ESA2 for this extremely important question to be answered

Well, relatively speaking...

What are some good indie games where I can beat the living shit out of people?

Underrail as a melee character.

LISA

>Alwan grew up to be a genuine nice guy instead of a zero tolerance nazi warlord
>Greta the compassionate calmly enters the secret bunker reserved for the elite of the rebels and even attends the nuke launch party

What an unexpected turn of events.

He looks like a nice guy. A shame I don't know the game's lore, I would probably care more about him if I did.