British Officers Don't Duck!

youtube.com/watch?v=GrauBQf7FpI

It's a proud British tradition that inspires soldiers and boosts morale.

French officers (and soldiers) on the other hand run away and cower before the battle even starts.

Other urls found in this thread:

4archive.org/board/k/thread/30122563
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

His entire persona is a gimmick at this point

> 60.000 casualties in the killing zone on the first day of the Somme
> h-hey but morale is great....

Clearly watching my officer get his head blown off by shrapnel makes me more willing to fight Jerry. I don't see what's wrong with the video.

>18 minutes of badly misinformed rambling

and then his/ make fun of Zhukov

Lindy pls, get a job.

Just like any other video of him lately.

>british officers dont duck
>fucks off back to his island while the french fight and die to cover his retreat

lindy is well informed of history, he just refuses to let go of nationalism

can we make a compilation of Lindy going full retard in the comment sections?

context?

I don't see you refuting him.

It's from his latest video (which is also full of shit but that's for another thread) where he said his stirling engine produced about 1W of power, where this guy said that's way too much. So he responded with "1W/month". Maybe he was trolling

He's not wrong though. The Russians, for example, saw Napoleon in very similar terms to Hitler, and used the parallels of the '1812 Patriotic War' as it was known, in propaganda throughout the war.

To Americans, Hitler's main point of note is that he killed a load of Jews. In Europe however, the main memory is that he was a populist, nationalist rabble rouser that invaded and/or bombed the shit out of their countries, killing soldiers and civilians alike. The latter being exactly the same as Napoleon (except the bombing part obviously).

In the US, people think of Hitler as a killer of Jews. In Poland, he's seen as a killer of Poles. In Russia he's seen as a killer of Russians. This is identical to how many nations at the time (Russia and Britain especially, but also Portugal, Spain, Austria, Prussia and others) saw Napoleon.

What about these then

>no one used swords, axes
>no one used horses
>no one used throwing knives
>no one used double strap arm shields
>no one used scythes
>no one used mail coifs
>no one used torches
>Pikemen didn't fight each other
>no one spoke French during the French revolution
>no one spoke Latin during the Roman Republic
>battle of Zama didn't happen
>Romans carried one pilum
>Vikings weren't real
>berserkers weren't real
>climate change isn't real
>stagnant social mobility isn't real
>castles were defended by three soldiers
>butted mail is better than riveted mail
>operation market garden was a success

kek every time

Fuck right off, French officers in the battle of the Frontiers (and countless other engagements) stood upright on the battlefield and died gallantly.

Where can I get shirts with those collard?!?!?

He doesnt actually claim most of these

Got any eye-witness reports of that?

We know for a fact they did a whole lot of surrendering in WW2

But this is true (if exaggerated), often castles had very tiny garrisons. Especially in peacetime or if they were in an isolated backwater (like Wales).

Battle of the Frontiers was ww1. French were insanely brave in that war

Eurofags BTFO

Read any one of a half dozen good WWI histories. French poilus were tough motherfuckers who suffered because of pre-WWI decisions by the General staff.

Lead by brave and heroic officers who died off before WW2?

Why do the heroic and tough french surrender when paris falls?

Don't equate defeat in WW2 to some sort of national level cowardice. It was more complex than that, and you know it.

>no one used swords, axes
Never said this, he has said that they were backup weapons, and less effective than maces/hammers, which is true.

>no one used horses
Never said this, he said the idea of riding horses when chariots were in use must have been crazy, similar to the "who thought up milking cows" thing.

>no one used throwing knives
Unless we're talking Hunga Mungas, no one really did.

>no one used double strap arm shields
Literally never said this.

>no one used scythes
No one did. Agricultural scythes are very fragile.

>no one used mail coifs

>no one used torches

>Pikemen didn't fight each other
Didn't explicitly say this, but he implied it, and yeah it's retarded, he's wrong.

>no one spoke French during the French revolution

>no one spoke Latin during the Roman Republic

>battle of Zama didn't happen

>Romans carried one pilum
We don't actually have any primary sources stating explicitly how many or what kind of pila Legionnaires carried, this is just speculation.

>Vikings weren't real
He said the term Viking in reference to an entire people is stupid. He's right, the word (vikingr) means to adventure/to sail far across the sea.

>berserkers weren't real
There is little primary source information on berserkers, so it's largely speculation.

>climate change isn't real

>stagnant social mobility isn't real

Never said 3 specifically, but they were defended by very small numbers of men. Harlech castle was defended, during Owain Glindwr's rebellion by a garrison equipped with "three shields, eight helmets, six lances, ten pairs of gloves, and four guns", for 2 YEARS.

>butted mail is better than riveted mail
He said it's easier to make. Which it is.

>operation market garden was a success

Because literally half of the military age men of france died in ww1 and they hadnt recovered by the time ww2 rolled around

You're wrong on market garden; in a youtube comment he defends MG first by saying that "patton" regarded it as a success or some shit but then goes on to imply that what patton said was true by using a fact that the area lost was eventually recaptured by the allies.

>You're wrong on market garden; in a youtube comment he defends MG first by saying that "patton" regarded it as a success or some shit but then goes on to imply that what patton said was true by using a fact that the area lost was eventually recaptured by the allies.

Link or gtfo.

sorry not patton montgomery iirc

>>Pikemen didn't fight each other
I believe his actual statements are that medieval pike formations tended to fight each other with sidearms rather than their pikes

He also specifically points out that the Swiss pikemen were famous for actually engaging other pikemen with their pikes

I'm at work so I don't have on hand but hopefully someone will post it.

This guy is so retarded.

Surrendering unconditionally is pretty cowardly if you still have a large army in the field

Yes but it was the upper echelons of the military and government who were cowardly rather than the soldiery or average citizen

But he's right.

France's army was cut off from its industrial and logistical base. This is not a trivial thing in any era, especially not in modern warfare.

Besides, there was plenty of heroic self sacrifice from French units throughout the war.

You know germany did exactly this in ww1

The German army had been decisively defeated. By early November it was melting away.

They still controlled the bulk of the country, and a north african empire

With no substantial military units to defend it. France is not like Russia, they couldn't withdraw into the vast wastes. France is a relatively small country. When its armies were neutralized, then the country could be occupied quickly enough to prevent the raising of new armies.

Shall we really compare Wellington to Lasalle, Ney or Murat?

>being this ignorant

back to /pol/ my friend

As the French had been

4archive.org/board/k/thread/30122563

Reference is made to it here; I've seen a screencap but I cant find his comment. You can see multiple anons calling him out on the bullshit in that archive though.

Wellington was smart enough to nurse his army through a day long battle and emerge victorious, Ney was to thick to understand fear

When?

There you go asshole

>Reference is made to it here; I've seen a screencap but I cant find his comment.
Ah, you've -seen- a screencap, that proves it.

>You can see multiple anons calling him out on the bullshit in that archive though.
Yeah Veeky Forums users, notorious for watching and properly comprehending videos posted in the OPs of threads. Such as the one we're in.

Nice job trying to evade the fact that you have literally no proof of what you're saying and you're just talking shit.

When their army was outflanked and cutoff and the entire heartland of their nation was undefended

This amuses me

I don't dispute France was defeated in WWII. It just wasn't due to cowardice on the part of the common soldier.

fucking kek nice one
desu tho do you know if what he says is wrong or no?

Thanks to whoever blew you the fuck out, you buttmad anglo

And yet each time they met, Ney prevailed

Not when it mattered

Why is WW2 even on the table if we're comparing France and Britain's military histories?
Britain was as pathetic as France in that war
What does getting saved by geography has to do with quality of officers?

I know, thats what I said. Either you misread or I was unclear

This video isn't bad, most of it his him reading a firsthand account of a soldier.

Napoleon didnt massacre Russian civilians en mass like Hitler, on the contrary he treated them pretty well (the few they hadnt fled the French advance and were still there under his occupation)
That's the reason why Russians didnt chimp out and mass rape French women (like they did to the Germans during WW2) when they zerg rushed ¨Paris in 1814

>lindy is well informed of history,
He isn't though.

>and less effective than maces/hammers, which is true.
It isn't, though.

>I believe his actual statements are that medieval pike formations tended to fight each other with sidearms rather than their pikes
He claims both.
It's more "THEY TOTALLY DIDN'T FIGHT BUT IF THEY DID THEY DIDN'T USE THE PIKES BECUSE REENACTORS LOL WHATS A PRIMARY SOURCE?"

He's wrong on both counts. Not uncommon.

Well fair enough. You have a link to any primary sources discussing pike formations fighting?

Not off hand, no. Pikemen using their pikes is such a common and well understood thing that I've never bothered taking note of sources for it. It's honestly like asking me for sources that archers shot arrows at each other in battle instead of having arm wrestling matches.

I mean he hasn't claimed to be a historian, just someone who has an interest in history. I don't watch his videos to learn true facts about history, just to watch someone ramble about it.

Absolute nonsense. From his exile on St. Helena:
>Lowe created a set of petty rules that included restricting Napoleon to the Longwood estate and requiring that the British not address Napoleon by his proper titles, but only as a general. He demanded that Napoleon pay for part of his imprisonment, so Napoleon offered up some Imperial silver for sale. This created such a backlash in Europe that the demand had to be canceled. He refused to provide sufficient firewood. News that Napoleon was burning his furniture to stay warm again caused such a backlash of public sympathy that the supply of firewood was restored.
You think, if Hitler had been captured and imprisoned rather than killing himself, people in 1950 who have been protesting against ill treatment? Half of Europe saw Napoleon as a great leader or a liberator, and the other half at least begrudgingly respected him, including the British and Russians. Really the only people I can think of that had a consistently negative attitude of him were the Prussians.

Why do people always use this retarded excuse? Just because you admit your uniformed, doesn't give you the right to spout bullshit

>doesn't give you the right to spout bullshit
Everybody has this right.

No one should be watching him for meticulously researched historical conclusions

>Everybody has this right.
Clearly wasn't talking about the legal right, retard.

>No one should be watching him for meticulously researched historical conclusions
You may not, but there are clearly people who are dumb enough to do so, and him admitting to being an ignoramus doesn't absolve him of responsibility for misinforming people. If you don't know about a topic, a good rule of thumb is to just shut up about it until you get more educated.

>Clearly wasn't talking about the legal right, retard.
Nor was I

>but there are clearly people who are dumb enough to do so, and him admitting to being an ignoramus doesn't absolve him of responsibility for misinforming people
Yes it does. He gives his opinions on topics he repeatedly states he is not an expert in, if anybody takes what he says as gospel truth then its their own damn fault for being morons

Are Anglos the most petty and passive aggressive people in existence?

It's half true. Maces and hammers were more effective against plate mail, since they were bludgeoning weapons and could damage the armor more than a sword could. However, most infantry did not wear plate mail. Judging by how the sword later became a mark of the aristocracy, I'm going to make an educated guess that axes and hammers (easy to produce, lots of uses outside of killing people) were likely the most popular weapons throughout the Middle Ages.

>I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'm going to say stupid shit anyway, just because I can, and you can't criticize me because I said it was just my opinion
Literally the cancer that is killing Western civilization, kys

>I'm going to make an educated guess that axes and hammers (easy to produce, lots of uses outside of killing people)
No.

At least try and get the right war, user.

Lindy doesn't usually trigger me like it does half of Veeky Forums but what the fuck.

He triggers the autists who dont have a steady grip on reality

>abstract concepts like 'kilos' instead of actual weights like pounds
Christ what has to happen to a person to make them so dumb?

Finally, somebody with the courage to speak the truth.

>Countries see Hitler as the killer of their people
>America sees Hitler as the killer of Jews
That says it all, really.

"When you play chess, you take turns. But... why do you take turns? Well, it's in the rules isn't it? Yes, but how would that play out? Let's say I have a big, strong knight and on my turn I have him crush an enemy pawn and... then what? An enemy bishop shows up and he just stands there, faffing about? Of course not, this is a highly trained knight! He should be able to retreat or better yet, he should be able to fight back against a mere bishop".

"And why is white allowed to go first anyway? Medieval armies didn't just decide "well, your side has the brightest colors so you're allowed to go first!". If that were the case everyone would be wearing white. Having the initiative is based on experience and training and mettle, not how much sunlight your clothes reflect. I propose that the player who first touches the piece he wants to use gets to move his piece first. It'll make the game fast paced, a lot more fun and most importantly a lot les rubbish".

What did he mean by this?

He means he's stupid.

Also, 10 second timers, go or you lose the turn do far more to speed up chess. It also forces a lot of people to use-and develop-a different skillset.

if the english are so fucking proud of being english then maybe they should do something about english people being replaced in their capital city by immigrants

>An enemy bishop shows up and he just stands there, faffing about? Of course not, this is a highly trained knight! He should be able to retreat or better yet, he should be able to fight back against a mere bishop".
>fight back against a mere bishop
>mere bishop

Problem being that many Bishops had been trained as knights, and loved kicking the shit out of people as much as the next feudal lord.

this isn't history, this nationalist bullshit hysteria.

>imperial system is good
>metric system makes no sense
I bet he also misses the Shilling and calls the decimalization a mistake kek

"I must unite the british officers under one mass grave"

t. general lord Zhukount

It mattered every single time. Had the british won any one of these battles, it would've been huge.

The war of France against the world was very asymmetrical, the french couldn't take any punches, they needed a flawless victory or it was over.

>expecting French men to actually be able to defend France is too much
>it's all the fault of the British, somehow

One castle in Herefordshire I think was defended by one man. He wasn't even a knight or soldier. He was a porter who basically kept the place livable until it was needed

Why is using geography to your advantage seen as a bad thing?

Because geographical use in military conflicts is unbalanced as hell
>France uses Ardennes forest as natural obstacle against German tanks
>they just rolled through all the trees there wooow gg ez

Sounds like a comedy bit really.

So for the haha's.

>actual weights
lol