/dfg/

"""Some""" dwarves like giant toads for their beauty.

Previous Thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.05.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack (Alpha 44.05, expect bugs):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164123
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455

>Starter Pack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169425.msg7684757#msg7684757
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Dorf

Elv

Gob

Hum

jaguar man

plum helm chap

i wanna fuck a kobold

Did the default embark size change?

I know right, isn't it beautiful?

BY YOUR POWERS COMBINED

>wooden walls
>cage traps
>dead dwarves

Look man, he only had room for 4 beds and didn't want to make things awkward

My library doesn't have a single book, but still it attracts these weirdoes.

>loneflash

What will the artifact be?

>making an artifact out of your dead pet chicken's wing
metal as fuck

>sterling silver
An edged weapon.

>Cerol Farashalåth, "Cerol Creedbolted", a sterling silver crossbow
Looks like Ekastegast was a hungry head.

fucking kill me

The dwarves I sent to raid the necromancer's tower returned with a cargo of books. Nothing on the secrets of life and death, but maybe that's for the best.

At least they're well written, your dwarves will be able to have some non-terrible content to read.

Neat, I didn't even know plays existed.

>tfw library is full of the dwarven equivalent of Atlas Shrugged and an entire library wing worth of garbage fanfiction about animal people

Bump

Ok, so the myths and magic update is DEFINITELY this year right?

Yeah, if its a Jupiter year.

Soon™

My library has like fifteen copies of the same badly written book about the world orbiting the sun

Yeah, I wanted to make an above ground luxury lodge, but didn't quite realize that the land portion of the map was untamed wilds, so my dwarves were getting jumped by Giant Jumping Spiders off the bat.

No, he's not even done with the artifact release yet, and it's been nearly a year.
The chance of the first myth and magic update being released this year is extremely slim. The entire series of updates and fixes will likely take several years.

I've been gone for about a month and a half. Has anything interesting happened since about mid December? Last thing I remember is the artifact update was released and was buggy and Relicwebs had been plumbed.

hehehe

What would even give you such an impression?

can someone please give me some mega advice? im gonna dig down a large shaft for entrance and exit, i understand that stairs can cause FPS issues but what else can i use? a ramp based stairwell or what? what is an effective design that has the least negative impact on fps?

You need some MEGA ADVICE?!?!?

Cherish your family, it doesn't get any better than family.

>stairs can cause FPS issues
They don't. The reason everyone calls you names when you use them is that wide stair arrays are ugly.

yeh but whats the alternative

Ridden minecarts that fall off the end of a track and drop onto featherwood floors 50z down.

What the fuck is this shit about "Cannot build on highest level" and how the fuck do I get around it?

My tower's not done.

You can use dfhack to add more z-levels to the top of the map

Otherwise you're straight fucked m8

That'd be ramps, like you suggested. In my current fort, I got these simple 6x6 spirals. Linear ramps work too. The way ramps work is pretty much obvious, you just have to find a design that looks good.

I had no idea giant slugs were capable of this.

I'd imagine it crushed you under its enormous bulk.

how do I add more levels? I'm looking at the dfhack API and I'm not seeing it.

Force = Mass x Velocity

If it weighs as much as a freight train, it's going to hurt when it hits you.

New robot ideas:
>motorcycle centaur
>stationary turrets
>Bagger 288 with a gun
>swarm of small bitey things
>car with hands

y/n?

I can't remember the command for it.

Just look through the directory.

Stationary creatures are really hard to make work, but the rest seems cool

just use the piranha plant from mushroom kingdom mod as a base, it works fine

cool thanks for the advice. I am also tempted to make car-with-hands a night creature that "converts" spouses by welding them into a new car body to act as fuel.

He felt interested near a fine page 10 recently.

Our time in Veeky Forums is so brief... Begone, fear!

>?

Horrifying screams come from the darkness below!

It is sad, but not unexpected.

Those 28 posters are probably more like 15-20.

Here's my idea for a theoretical fortress design I'll probably never do.
Each part of the fortress is divided into an individual "block." Blocks can contain anything, but should be limited to one type of thing.
Blocks are arranged in a square formation, and 3x2 hallways connect the blocks. Each hallway contains a two bridges.
Bridges are connected to a lever in a central control room. All the hallway bridges nearest to a certain block are hooked up to one lever. This allows each block to be completely sealed.
This is mostly just an idea for now, I haven't tested anything at all.

If only you could set carts for travel purposes.

Toady. GF. Needs. One.

NOW

Do it. Won't be hard. Bridges function as cart track, so you can shift heavy loads and quantum stockpile between blocks easily.

Probably the biggest disappointment in minecarts. They basically do everything but transport dwarves in a non-fatal manner.

What limit do you put on children? I had a huge siege that wiped over half my dwarves, but all the children lived.

I just made this world for testing purposes but it looks like something cool as fuck is happening here

Are they here to drive the outlaws off maybe?

Is there a way to build a pump stack without adding an access shaft? The wiki implies that it can be done with ramp tiles, but my understanding of ramp requirements conflicts with the wiki suggestion.

ask them why they're travelling

I did and they said they are on an important mission.

Posting this weird three-way bridge I found in an old adventure.
The right walkway lead to a dead end, strangely enough.

Game really needs underground stuff, there is literally nothing to do underground

Is there a way to get more civs to live underground in mountainhomes? Could there be underground wars?

>Is there a way to get more civs to live underground in mountainhomes?
yes

>Could there be underground wars?
no

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169425.msg7684757#msg7684757

1.37 is released. Creatures will no longer bleed out immediately upon penetration of the exterior and also there are playable motorcycle centaurs.

>motorcycle centaurs
God bless your fantastic autism

and he did it all to circumvent a single bug in DF

Thank you

On that note I would really appreciate it if people who download my mod would let me know if that is working. It should be fairly easy to determine through just walking into a besieging army's camp or alternately a refugee camp. All that needs to be observed is if they are awake or not. If they are awake, then the bug has been avoided and my efforts are not in vain.

I'm armoring up my dorf army and I have a question about crafting my armor. I noticed it comes up as right glove, left glove, right glove, etc.

Does it automatically make a right and then a left or is it random? Will I have to keep adding work orders until I get 20 pairs of steel gauntlets?

If you order 1 gauntlet they will make both a right and left one. So for 20 pairs of steel gauntlets just order 20 steel gauntlets and they'll make 20 pairs.

>no metals
>giant outside
>plenty of opals

Screw it. We are never going outside. We booze until we die.

So went to legends for once. So a war started because elves devoured sapient flesh.

>Elves are the only race which wholeheartedly accepts the devouring of enemy combatants. Looking in legends mode shows that an elven combatant will sometimes devour the other person they were fighting when they win. In spite of this, elves refuse to butcher and consume intelligent beings under other conditions.

classic elves

Toady is a TRANNY and a SHITTER

is that like that corrosion mod?

There are a few key differences

Corrosion:
>primarily human-centric
>low tech/modern tech
>zombie apocalypse
>mutants and undead for general dangers
>focus on realism and gritty atmosphere

Age of Steel:
>primarily centered on android/machine races
>anachronistic high-tech (railgun muskets, quadrupedal drones instead of horses, herding autonomous mining bots like cattle, giant holographic bears)
>post-singularity collapse apocalypse maybe
>feral robots and rogue superweapons for general threats
>0 focus on realism and all focus on aesthetic (and balance a little bit)

uhm nice. I really wish the guy that made corrosion updated it.

oh fuck I haven`t been on the forums since 2014, it seems he is back.

Ah, thanks. And yeah I can understand that, a niche mod like Corrosion probably doesn't have many other counterparts. But also I forgot to add one last thing to the list of differences.

Corrosion:
>faction members are from species that need to sleep so they will all fall victim to the sleeping army/refugee bug given enough time

Age of Steel:
>faction members are robots that don't need to sleep so adventure mode town invasions and other similar events will function as they ought to.

This difference is the primary reason Age of Steel exists, because I really don't like that bug but making the normal races not need to sleep would be unimmersive, so the only logical thing was an overhaul to turn everything into robots.

Oh cool, that's nice.

has someone ever managed to make guns and lasers or similar shit create smoke when they fired? I remember there were some attemps but the Raw system is limited.

Unfortunately that is not possible, luckily railguns do not produce smoke when fired so that is convenient.

Toadys gf is Tanya Short. Or at the very least he likes orbiting her on twitter.

Don't mention that witch here ever again.

>and it's been nearly a year.
it's been more than a year and a half

And when you think about what's being added, I want to cry
It all felt extremely slow, but I think it's because all the code was 'new'
Toady said a lot of the planned content for the magic update derives from already done code
He already haves the myth generator done, for example

>Cherish your family, it doesn't get any better than family.
something happened user?

Man, I've been embarking untamed wilds with every fort for months and haven't had any good shit like that. Best I can hope for are giant keas stealing my shit.
I want giant grizzly bears. I want giant war grizzlies.

it`s because toady is a shit developer and programmer. He should off himself or release the code so competent people can work on the project.

Go on?

No.