/mcg/ - Minecraft General - End of Life Planning Edition

Previous thread ► 1. WELCOME

We discuss Minecraft, modpacks, projects, build ideas, etc.
Share server stories and keep the screenshots coming, we want to see builds!
If you develop mods or anything Minecraft related, keep us updated for feedback.
Don't spam your server or discord here, use the list from the link below to advertise it.

[!] Performance problems in 1.10+: use foamfix+Optifine (turn off terrain animation)

► 2. NEWS

[23 jan 2018] the thaumcraft
[02 jan 2018] The oldest news in this OP are now 1 year old. Congratulations for never updating this shit

[31 dec 2017] MultiMC5 0.6.0 is out, featuring easy downloading of Curse modpacks and more.
>multimc.org/posts/0-6-update.html

>[2017/Jun/30] Noodlor's Castle Collection is completed! Including a world-download:
imgur.com/a/NeywO

>[2017/May/14] GoG update is finished:
mods.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft/228948-grimoire-of-gaia

>[2017/Jan/02] asie has been working on FoamFix, FabricMC and others.
asie.pl/foamfix/
github.com/FabricMC

► 3. USEFUL LINKS

>/mcg/ General text (to contribute news and info for the next thread)
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/mcg-op

>Modding Tools & documentation:
mcforge.readthedocs.io

>Curse downloader
github.com/TOLoneWolf/curseDownloader

>how2dostuff for newfags
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/mcg-modfaq

>Server list (own a server? Please move to the new Serblist.com)
serblist.com
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w0Nywo6sZcexcYb46hTOfAwElaeUlPoCC4DKRFcMWYQ (Old)

>Ideas & Inspiration
mcnoodlor.imgur.com/
elworrier.imgur.com/
imgur.com/a/JPif9

>Castlefag's map
mega.nz/#!h3hi0TQR!areDzeQYr6RACXyDX-HE49BEIePIHze3liNoXg6Dhqg

>Cracked MultiMC for Linuxfags
anonfile.com/UcRapfdcbb/multimc-cracked.tar.gz

Other urls found in this thread:

arwiki.dmodoomsirius.me/AdvancedRocketry/config/AdvancedPlanetConfiguration.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for the meme version is 1.7.10

*best version

Just let it die. Everyone has moved on to 1.10.

Also cheers to the user who mentioned Bird's Foods. Pam's tyranny is over!

1.12 is never going to become the next go to version for the mod scene. It will be passed over in favor of 1.13. Right now everyone is on 1.10.2 and it's likely to stay that way for a couple years. It's got almost every popular mod available for 1.12, mods that have been stuck on 1.10 and are still in the lengthy process of being ported to newer versions, as well as the 1.7 mod scene still trying to port popular mods to 1.10. Even more so now that both Thaumcraft and Ars Magica 2 have been ported to it.

What mod pack just has a fuck ton of stuff to do? I'm just looking to play something while I do afk skills on osrs. I was thinking Resonant rise, but i'm also kind of interested in galactic craft

1.13 will probably be the next 1.7.10 considering it's a "big update" release that brings in new mechanics and changes to general shit, meaning that after it Mojang probably won't be doing anything big or worthwhile for quite a while, leaving it in a safe spot as the "go to version", unless they fuck it up majorly that is.

A modpack that actually has a lot to do in, or a modpack that keeps you constantly busy?

A lot to do

The problem is a lot of devs dropped their 1.10 mods way too early which left them missing useful or important updates
1.12 is supposed to get TC and Blood Magic anyway, has Twilight Forest, Techguns, a less buggy Valkyrien Warfare, and bugfixes/content for mods like Astral Sorcery, Biome Bundle, IE/IP, Rustic, Refined Storage that will never get backported.

1.13 is going to have too many changes that limit quick adoption, especially since it took forever for some of these mods to even reach 1.10/12

Which one for walls?

Can anybody get augmented triad on the atlauncher to work for them?

>Thaumcraft
All depends on how quickly 1.13 comes out. Gut feeling says modders will flock to it at a crazy rate, but it mostly hinges on when Mojang releases it and when Forge adapts to it.

>Blood Magic
There's a spite-port out which was released to get the complainers to shut up. Hopefully the real port won't take long.

i'd say 2nd or 3rd one, the 1st one looks too much like bricks, and the wood chunks are usually pretty long

Underneath the Bauxite layer...

>Im in USA, she's in the middle eastish region
Your imaginary girlfriend probably likes to build in the gangsta slum.

>tfw can't decide if I should remove TCon

On one hand, I want to use vanilla enchanting again, along with tools from other mods. On the other hand I feel like I'm going to miss all the neat shit it adds.

Do any of the servers have a pocket dimension where you can claim a flat chunk and build your shit there? All these years of playing minecraft and I've only seen this on a single server and then I lost it

Speaking of enchantments, any 1.12 mod that would actually make expierence useful?

That's one of the worst things modern servers do in my opinion, why would you want it?

link to official general

Because I'd rather not shit where I eat and have one place to get comfy and build my base and another to explore and fuck around.

That makes no sense. How does building a base in a few chunks of the world you explore hurt it in any way?
Plus there's nothing comfier than seeing your base returning from hours of exploring.

>make a good looking base somewhere in the world
>someone comes along and builds a giant square right next to it or worse, they just grief the surrounding area because why not
Ohhh yeah, so comfy, there truly is no better feeling than looking out the window and seeing a tnt ridden shithole with lava, water and obsidian dongers as far as the eye can see.

I always build my base ~2km from spawn and this has never happened to me.

Find a server that isn't filled with dumb kids then.
All the servers I've stayed on either had protection plugins, or only had people who liked to build good shit.

So do I and it happens occasionally.

GANGSTA SLUM

give me a modpack with ton of shit to do and that lets me create dimensions

bump

FTB Infinity

literally any 150+ mod pack with RFTools and/or Mystcraft

Has anyone played the Chocobo mod on 1.12? I like Chocobos and I want to throw that into my mod pack but I have a feeling it probably doesn't mesh well with anything else

>someone comes along
There's your mistake. Play singleplayer.

But reading what players say to each other adds to the comfy factor.

>feed mcg serb chatlogs to a deep learning AI
>experience the same utter garbage, but now it makes even less sense

yeah, in 2013 it did. The comfiness is dead user, the world has changed.

Don't you say anything?

As long as it's the same models and textures as the older version, it should be fine. They're like horses but less shit.

I like ice cream. What's your favourite? Mine's vanilla ice.

is there any mirror for chroma hills? the guys said that his resource packs was swapped with an .exe file (how does that even happen when you upload it yourself?) and it hasn't been re-upped for 2 days... (is it so hard to upload a mirror to zippyshare?)

Haven't played memecraft in years, gonna fire up a solo world in the latest version l, no mods
What should I make?

A highly detailed replica of your penis

Has anyone tried training a neural net to generate aesthetic buildings? I feel like it's feasible, you could do three passes:
1. basic shape
2. shape detailing (this area is a window, this area is an accent, etc)
3. block pallet selection

I'd attempt this myself but I don't where I'd get the training data from.

how do you disable ores in a mod that doesn't have a config option for it

He should use Chisel and Bits for it then.

>everyone
>calling yourself everyone
here's a (you), don't spend it all in one thread

Any of you guys know how to pull of generating a world (with various mods) that is similar to the real world?
i've been poking around, there's a couple of mods, one of which is too big (Chunk mapper) One I'm too much of a brainlet to figure out how it works (Terrarium) and then there's pre-genned things like that one for the /int/-craft server I found, but I kinda need the mods.
A note is that I wanna run this on a server.

Does anyone know how to pull this shit off?

By disabling the mod itself

but the rest of the mod is good. It's just the one redundant ore

Either build thousands of different buildings yourself or download a handful of hand built custom city-themed maps and cut out just the building parts to run through as training data.

Alright, I'm building the Autistic Museum of Autism, a fuckhuge place that will have an individual display for literally every single thing in the game. It'll have wings for placeable blocks, all the nonplaceable stuff that can go in item frames, and a zoo for all creatures good bad and neutral.

My dilemma: how the crap do I actually sort things? It's modular and each wing is infinitely expandable, so new additions can always be added, but I can't figure a way to organize everything. Alphabetical wouldn't work since I'm holy shit not going to shift 700+ items one spot over to make room for a single new thing. Same with doing it straight up by categories like all the stairs, all the concretes etc since same problem when they add more of a type. I'm thinking doing it by version, so like all the crap from 1.12, then can easily add the new stuff from 1.13 onwards in new wing expansions, but then it's still an issue of how to sort within those sections, since existing stuff is getting renamed with the object ID removal and would fuck up alphabetical, and sorting by object ID there would also then not be consistent moving forward since 1.13+ would need a different sorting system.

Any ideas for autisming this place efficiently? Anyone already done something similar and know of any sites that already have an easy breakdown list of exactly what items and creatures were added by each update so I don't have to scour every version page on the wiki individually? Anyone have other general tips other than "jesus dude fucking why"?

What mod, what version

mapletree, v1.1.33k

forgot to add, the marble ore is what i want to disable. I already have proper marble generating in the world, I don't need this ugly glowy one messing up my scenery.

But there is a line about oregen there.
>B:GenerateOre=true
I guess you'll disable the maple diamond thing as well but just use MineTweaker for that.

I suggest you disable all of MapleTree's oregen, then use cofh or something like that to generate the gems.

You're thinking too hard about it. Just organize everything conceptually but keep things loose, ie Biomes, Blocks, Tools, Utility Items, Organics, etc.

Maybe you should go to an IRL museum or two and get a feel for how curators organize things. Different kinds of museums are organized differently.

I live near a city with an internationally recognized art museum. They have a load of ancient Greek and Roman statues, Egyptian pottery, Renaissance silverware and 16th-century landscapes. They have things organized more of less chronologically because they're trying to show people how culture has progressed throughout the ages. That same city also has a very popular kids museum that focuses on natural sciences. They have separate areas for the water cycle and simple machines, but they also have graphics and information that ties the two together like a giant working Archimedes screw. They do that because they want kids to link the two disparate concepts so they can have a clearer view of the big picture.

The two different styles can both be used in the same space, but I really can't stress enough how you shouldn't kill yourself just THINKING about how to arrange things.

I'm down to seeing where this leads and down to helping as well.

Are we still alive? This seems deader than usual.

Thanks for the insight. My usual problem with stuff like this is that if it's junk that completely up to me, I'll decide one thing, then nitpick it a billion times afterwards and have to redo it a bunch (like especially stuff like this with a million edge cases where stuff can fit into a bunch of different categories; I'll flip flop on where I think it should be all the time). If I can at least give myself some kind of simple framework to adhere to, it'll cut down on that.

I definitely like that 'how culture has progressed throughout the ages' style; I can make that fit with a breakdown by version, which will give me an objective framework to work within, and make it so even if I do nitpick stuff, it'll only affect rearranging junk within the area for each version rather than a full redo of everything, and that would let me organize within the versions by whatever fits thematically or intuitively by whatever was the main stuff added by an update.

Thanks.

Show your latest build /mcg/
The dutch were a mistake

And today on lebbit: people get oversensitive when a mod is criticized once again.

Let me guess, Thaumcraft.

It's been months since the last time I built something worthwhile.

>Forestry updates, still not out of beta for 1.12.2
>read patch notes
>merge (#1) * Reintroduce the old-style farm

WHAT

I don't have much in the way of anything "built" because I'm too busy messing around in creative to figure out what all the machines do.

Any actually active serbs these days, please dont make me play some normie pack

"Tells you nothing" and "wants you to experiment just a bit" are very different.

You are very clearly given information about exactly how to interact with the lightwell, what objects can be placed on it, and what outputs you get from the block. I'd say that explains the lightwell quite well.

But no, of course, in this community that's not good enough! If your mod can't be minmaxed, if it requires experimentation or figuring out on a level beyond "plug RF into this box", if it dares to try and make you figure out something beyond numerical quantifiable power, then it's confusing and poorly documented, right? Go yell at the dev! I can give you Hellfire's discord information if you like. Or maybe you should just go back to playing TE instead.

pls respond

I found a mesa like right next to the spawn of this world and figured it would be a great location to build a fortress surrounding the middle (which I filled with water)

And from the other side

That is fucking gorgeous, damn I wish I was creative.

I don't play with TCon because I think silktouch and fortune should be harder to enchant than adding materials to a weapon.

Unless a pack specifically balanced around TCon it's overpowered and you should remove it.

Ass Sorcery

Oh, so it's Astral Sorcery that's getting the complaints. That's fair. His "in game information" is shit and ambiguous. I had to go look at his (not commented) code in order to figure out what was supposed to happen on more than one occasion. (Who knew you can't duplicate attuned rock crystals? Who knows what one of the Armara perks does because its tooltip stretches off the screen due to his use of a large font?)

I still have no clue what the hell a tree beacon does.

>Elucunt being butthurt again
Lots of Laughs

Is there enough content in advanced rocketry to build a pack around living in a spaceship and going around exploring different planets?
don't want to jump right into it and be incredibly disappointed desu

Castlefag reporting. It's been a long time.
I've written more definitions and added a wizard-ish flavor to the text. Follow the steps of Gellert the warlock and you will get far.

Oh fuck.
>Deceitfully treacherous
Gonna need to do more proofreading.

AR is basically a less crazy version of Mystcraft/RFTools random dimensions, with a few set ones. I don't think there's much reason to explore different planets by default unless you heavily configure them to be useful, unless you luck out on their rolls.
This might help you: arwiki.dmodoomsirius.me/AdvancedRocketry/config/AdvancedPlanetConfiguration.php

Did you make the map drawing? That's really cute.

inkarnatemaps.com.
Veeky Forums hates him.
This simple online program is making super cool maps and basically you're a fucking DungeonMaster.

Gentlemen, what trees could vanilla realistically add? I vote palm trees.

Is there an item that's like a vanilla carpet but transparent? That way I could use blocks like chests as flooring while keeping the floor level.

Palm, Cherry, Cypress, Mahogany, Teak, Pine

changing chests from solid blocks was a mistake

Anyone here use shader packs?

Astral Sorcery has some cool functionality and some interesting progression but it suffers a lot from "What the fuck is this multiblock structure even"

To explain, in my opinion multiblocks can fall into a few categories
- Blocks that work independently arranged into a functional setup, may include buffer or padding blocks, may be modular
Reborn Storage's crafting multiblock, Applied Energistics multiblocks, some industrialcraft setups and a few other mod's things can fit into this category

- Form to emulate function (arranging various blocks into the shape of a machine or construct), possibly changing into a large multiblock model once fully built
Immersive Engineering does this a lot, the Thaumcraft multiblocks are basically this as well

- Random nonsensical garbage built out of otherwise useless blocks
Things like woot, environmental tech, and of course astral sorcery fit into this category

Whether you prefer type 1 or type 2 multiblocks is up to the person and your sense of aesthetics, type 2 usually looks nicer but type 1 usually makes more sense and is more functional, some multiblocks are a bit of a mix of type 1 and type 2.
On the other hand, type 3 multiblocks are effectively minecraft cancer and should ideally be eliminated.
Astral Sorcery requires you to deface your world with fuck-ugly, unwieldy flat white squares that have to be perfectly replicated for absolutely no reason. They don't look good, they don't emulate some kind of functional construct, the mod author just built some stupid bigass marble shit and said "You gotta build this shit like I did here if you wanna use my mod". Pretty much all of his multiblocks are 90% superfluous bullshit that shouldn't be necessary.

so its basically blood magic?

Blood magic you can hide underground and you don't have to build it all over the place.

Blood Magic is very similar with it's multiblocks, yes. Some parts of it technically aim to be functionally important, but overall the structure is still really arbitrary.
I'd classify it as type 3, but on a spectrum I'd say while being type 3, it's closer to type 2 than Astral Sorcery at the very least.

Does Growthcraft have machines to automate farms?

Castlefag here:
Done with 40% of the guide. It has 100 pages so far, but because each page has a picture and I used a really large font.
I'll quit for today. Posting two people who may make your life easier or harder depending on your luck and decisions.

>Some parts of it technically aim to be functionally important
the blood altar, yes
the rituals are the most completely random pieces of shit multiblocks to have ever existed
they even had to make a bunch of items to help you make the rituals since theyre so stupid and easy to fuck up when making

Trainserb 3.0 when