vocaroo.com/i/s0t1FvGv1eN6
youtu.be/DBbmNAZWq-E
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

youtube.com/watch?v=tkgKmexQruw

latest news on detective clues
youtube.com/watch?v=nTqvnG254KQ&list=PLaW5cpjBPpWrAQzhxt1bF3KkWQtuMg76T&index=1

sensible chuckle

no but you can kill his friends

What kind of abilities do you like to use in platform games? Like floaty jumps or dashes, or wall climbing, or moving while crouching, or projectiles, summoning temporary blocks to push around or temporary platforms? I need some ideas because my only frame of reference at the moment is run-and-gun stuff like Gunstar Heroes

posted this just as the thread ended, need help: why isn't this simple move points script not working? It's supposed to subtract 1 move point from the current enemie's turn for every grid square(64 pixels) they move to the left or right; i.e. if it moves 3 grid squares(192 pixels), it will subtract 3 move points. What happens in practice tho is that the final calculation is always 1 more move point than it should be; i.e. char moves 5 grid squares, but only 4 move points are deducted. Any master anons that can help with this?
pastebin.com/MabmHQTz

>moving platforms desync
classic

blocking out a walk cycle, i have no idea what im doing

umm is this gay

Done on purpose, same with the exit door and star (which is a bitch to get in that level by the way). Moving obstacles around for certain characters makes the platforming less brain-dead for the player

i thought it was a comparison of adaptions....this is just a lame gimmick game?

Well it's not a school shooter or election simulator so no

Can I setup a patreon now

so yes

jesus christ, the potential for bullying the player is massive. i like the idea.

ignore the attention whore though

where is your game
inb4 google "the witness"

if you knew, why did you ask?

google the top of this thread

you know what to do /agdg/

No, please explain

Demo build here if you want to give it a try yourself [specifically build 1.0.0.5.exe]
1988stevenm.itch.io/loop-girl-demo

Reminds me of Chronos Twin

How's MODO? I can get a free license for a year from a friend.

Or should I just use Blender?

>life on mars
good taste

what are we supposed to do with a 20yo meme?
bully it to suicide like the rest of the 20yo memes posting here?

i have the best taste in police procedurals

>making a simple 2d engine
>can't even get acceleration based movement or collision to work without the player going a million miles an hour and getting stuck in the walls
What the actual fuck is wrong with me?

le epic! le epic gamur girl! all best gamurs are girls!!

damn Sarah Shahi is hot

>could have used an actual game with levels
>instead uses prince of persia
y tho?

YOU WIN!
Advance to level 9

the concept of that part of the ep was that a boy (RIP) password protected his data with prince of persia which his sister played with him regularly.
also the family is persian... thats the connection.

now that's good taste

That makes absolutely no sense on any number of levels.

i love it because it's exactly like all the detective video games currently in existence where out of nowhere theres a minigame that has to be completed to continue.

I'm having a very hard time trying to come up with a way to make a generic random item generator framework without knowing anything about the types of items that can be generated.

It is absolutely not easier than I think. I want to give up every day because of how hard this shit is. Fuck this man.

you're almost there

Me likey.

Sounds like you don't even know what you're trying to make. Write down a list of specifications of what your "random item generator framework" should do, then the implementation should be pretty straight forward.

>I want to give up every day
it's easier than you think

you should take this udemy course then

>tfw can't into pathfinding
maybe i'm really not gonna make it : (

Well, there are a lot of decisions on what exactly to do. Basically there needs to be a function that takes in an item level and list of tags, and returns an item. There also needs to be a registry of item types and drop rates. But how discretely to item types need to be defined?

Should it first choose whether to drop a weapon or a potion, and then decide if the weapon is a sword or a spear in a second pass? Should swords, spears, health potions, and scrolls of identify all be selected from the same pool? When creating a sword, is there just a single function to generate the item, or do I automatically provide the ability to add prefix/suffix upgrades, etc. Do I choose from a list of base items (bronze sword, steel sword, etc.) and then modify it further to randomize it, or do all items just start off with 1 attack and they're each fully customized?

Lots of options.

can't decide on a character I'm making
should it be a cat wearing sunglasses
or a dog wearing sunglasses

There's a million free to use implementations of pathfinding algorithms out there. Just use an existing one?

Should I give up on turn-based and try a real time tactics game to be honest?

pls help senpais!

What's your stance on using shit from the Unity asset store? I'm conflicted, on one hand I feel like I'm wasting my time reinventing the wheel and on the other I don't feel good using someone else's code.

wrong hour my friend. try in 12 hours

Just use it.

If anyone gives you shit for it, their opinion literally doesn't matter.

Reposting the question here because i made it just as the old threads was being abandoned.

I have an idea for a text adventure game that i want to get out of my system. Can anyone point me to engine/program to make one that's easy enough for a simpleton to use? Ideally it would be the sort where you can type your response [Go North, Open Door, etc], but I'm also interested in the sort that present multiple options.

I'll check deeper, but after a quick google looks pretty complicated. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

>I don't feel good using someone else's code
>uses Unity

???

You're also not limited to the asset store, you know. Lots of libraries target older versions of .NET which are compatible with Unity.

okay user, i will...

It's a bit sparse.

Thinking of using this as a first town theme. Going for a comfy feel - can someone give feedback?
vocaroo.com/I/s0t1FvGv1eN6

it's shit

Thinking of using this as a first town theme. Going for a comfy feel - can someone give feedback?
vocaroo.com/i/s0t1FvGv1eN6

>pastebin.com/MabmHQTz
I took a look at your code and its a bit strange. Could you explain a little bit?

slavery game that teaches kids to hate white people

Just making sure, is that line 4 supposed to be = or ==? dunno what lang that is

it's godot

Better idea: slave ship simulator that teaches kids to hate jews

hi I'm kong

DELET

youtu.be/DBbmNAZWq-E

Unironically every one of you should watch this.

Why?

but i haven't given up yet.

Can't give up if you never start.

Fixed an issue today

Just wanted to let you know, so if you were wondering "Gee, I wonder if user fixed an issue today", you can now kick back and revel in the knowledge that I did

I'd care more if you mentioned the issue.

My packed texture files used to be loaded into memory before parsing, which basically meant it needed twice as much RAM as it has to. No it has a switch for parsing it without preloading the packed file. Kills loading times, but you know what they say, you gotta die at least one death.

Are you caring now
Is the carishness coursing through your body

Absolutely not, what are you thinking?

Explain your game

>No
*Now

Freudian slip in action, a cry for help

nevermind i care even less now

idea guy here

blockchain mmorpg

>current year + 3
>blockchain

>attack enemy
>6 hours later attack confirms

Moved my game to UE4 with VR for reasons

damn so this is the power of unreal

I guess I left out that target_x is set equal to x in the create event, sry. I'm basically trying to say, if the AI character's x position is 64 pixels more or less than target_x(its original save x position), then 1 move point is subtracted, and targeted_x becomes equal to the character's new x value. So if the AI char was pathing 192 pixels eastward, then 3 move points would be subtracted. My issue is that in that very example, instead of 3 move points being subtracted, only 2 move points would be subtracted.

it also seems like the move points don't start subtracting until the character has move 128 pixels, and then it subtracts every 64 pixels

an equal sign works fine in this case, and it's gml, gamemaker

Your wife asked to mow your lawn, Marty

That doesn't make sense, what would you use the blockchain for?

If I made a blockchain game I'd do a trading card game.

i dont get this line
> if EnemyID.x >= (target_x + 64)
why +64. I get it thats the cell width but its enough that is greater than target in any way.

How much overlap is there between a Megaman game and something like Legend of Princess? They're both sidescrolling platformers, the classic MM games have very linear level design and LoP is linear too but borrowing from a series with lots of backtracking and exploring, MM has you build up an arsenal of weapons you can only use one of at a time, LoP you pick two you can use at all times. I suppose what I'm wondering is, what would be the choice aspects to take from both series and what would be best left out or revised.

>That doesn't make sense

Not him, but it makes plenty of sense. The game could run as a distributed app and the blockchain used to store state as transactions.

It probably wouldn't be practical in terms of playability, but that's more because it's questionable if a MMO as a dapp would meet the soft real-time requirements of gaming, but it still "makes sense" in that it's something that could be implemented in some form.

It's really no different than your card game thing. The game is a dapp, card ownership and win/loss history are transactions stored on the blockchain.

The ones that you find most enjoyable.

Well I enjoy platforming, a series of escalating challenges based around certain gimmicks, and having a variety of weapons that provide different solutions to problems.

>I don't feel good using someone else's code
that's an idiotic mentality.
the only reason you should not use someone else's script is if it'd be more of a hassle/time consuming to modify that script to suit your needs than it would be to write your own from scratch. you're not going to become an enginedev, right?

Let me answer you with a question. Why did you decide you needed to mash those two games together if you didn't even have an idea of why or how?

Good to know but I'm not interested in a relationship right now.

laugh
Superficial similarities drove me to consider their differences and themes along with the possible drawbacks of combining them, whole or pick-and-mix

It's because target_x = x upon creation, so it's basically saying:
if the char's new x position while moving east is greater than or equal to its old x position+64 pixels, then the old x position equals the new x position, and move -= 1.

It's supposed to keep doing this every 64 pixels, but it doesn't start doing this until the character has moved 128 pixels in either direction.

I don't think they're any more similar to each other than to most any other action platformer.

What do you consider separates them from each other?

>It's supposed to keep doing this every 64 pixels,
maybe bc you dont increase by 64? Check it. The increase might be a result of a division which might not be so accurate