Caesarean Sections Will Render Humans Extinct

bbc.com/news/science-environment-38210837

The regular use of Caesarean sections is having an impact on human evolution, say scientists.

More mothers now need surgery to deliver a baby due to their narrow pelvis size, according to a study.

Researchers estimate cases where the baby cannot fit down the birth canal have increased from 30 in 1,000 in the 1960s to 36 in 1,000 births today.

Historically, these genes would not have been passed from mother to child as both would have died in labour.

Researchers in Austria say the trend is likely to continue, but not to the extent that non-surgical births will become obsolete.

Dr Philipp Mitteroecker, of the department of theoretical biology at the University of Vienna, said there was a long standing question in the understanding of human evolution.

"Why is the rate of birth problems, in particular what we call fetopelvic disproportion - basically that the baby doesn't fit through the maternal birth canal - why is this rate so high?" he said.

"Without modern medical intervention such problems often were lethal and this is, from an evolutionary perspective, selection.

"Women with a very narrow pelvis would not have survived birth 100 years ago. They do now and pass on their genes encoding for a narrow pelvis to their daughters."

cont.

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18771508
midwiferytoday.com/articles/physical_impact_csec.asp
hugthemonkey.com/2006/10/the_motherbaby_.html
aeon.co/essays/on-epigenetics-we-need-both-darwin-s-and-lamarck-s-theories
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Opposing forces

It has been a long standing evolutionary question why the human pelvis has not grown wider over the years.

The head of a human baby is large compared with other primates, meaning animals such as chimps can give birth relatively easily.

The researchers devised a mathematical model using data from the World Health Organization and other large birth studies.

They found opposing evolutionary forces in their theoretical study.

One is a trend towards larger newborns, which are more healthy.

However, if they grow too large, they get stuck during labour, which historically would have proved disastrous for mother and baby, and their genes would not be passed on.

"One side of this selective force - namely the trend towards smaller babies - has vanished due to Caesarean sections," said Dr Mitteroecker.

"Our intent is not to criticise medical intervention," he said. "But it's had an evolutionary effect. "

cont.

Future trends

The researchers estimated that the global rate of cases where the baby could not fit through the maternal birth canal was 3%, or 30 in 1,000 births.

Over the past 50 or 60 years, this rate has increased to about 3.3-3.6%, so up to 36 in 1,000 births.

That is about a 10-20% increase of the original rate, due to the evolutionary effect.

"The pressing question is what's going to happen in the future?" Dr Mitteroecker said.

"I expect that this evolutionary trend will continue but perhaps only slightly and slowly.

"There are limits to that. So I don't expect that one day the majority of children will have to be born by [Caesarean] sections."

The research is published in the journal, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Commenting on the study, Daghni Rajasingam, a consultant obstetrician and a spokesman for the Royal College of Obstetricians, said other factors, such as diabetes and obesity, are having an impact on the number of caesarean sections.

"I think what is important to take into the [question of] evolution is that things like diabetes are much more common at a younger age so we see many more women of reproductive age who have diabetes," she said.

"That has consequences as to whether or not they may need a caesarean section.

"In addition, the rates of obesity are increasing so more and more women of reproductive age have a higher body mass index and this again has an impact on caesarean section rates."

FIN

CRISPR will fix it

CRISPR will fix everything

we can literally edit our genes on a whim

natural selection on suicide watch

we will be genetically modifying everything in the near future, natural selection is obsolete

>"Women with a very narrow pelvis would not have survived birth 100 years ago. They do now and pass on their genes encoding for a narrow pelvis to their daughters."
So we can save the human race by only mating with thicc girls?

Count me in.

>implying this isn't just a ploy by the jews to make women's pelvises smaller in order to make their small dick larger by comparison

This

>natural selection on suicide watch

Nowadays doctors opt for cesarean with the barest excuse because it's safe.
Once it only happened if absolutely necessary because of the risks.
Considering both these facts, and the small amount of time passed, I strongly doubt the gene pool has been meaningfully altered.

It really makes you think

Too bad it'll soon be used for some terrible catastrophes as well

The reason is greedy doctors
They charge the cesarea as surgery = bigger fee
My mother had five perfectly natural births, now my two sisters had 3 kids = 3 cesareas

>The reason is greedy doctors
No, otherwise it wouldn't happen in public healthcare countries (and it totally does).

It's more about speeding up births and finding an excuse to agree to mothers' requests to be sedated.

It´s the same in a public healthcare country, doctors just charge the state, they have the corporative power to do it.
I dream of widespread medical riots in which the medical caste is put in their place

>doctors just charge the state
For what? They're not paid by surgery you know, they have a salary.
t. I'm a fucking doctor in training.

Naive!

> t. I'm a fucking doctor in training.
I´ll slash your tires I swear (just kidding)

>we can literally edit our genes on a whim
I thought in plants, most genetically engineered ones died

>we can
Yeah it's more like, the technology suggest that within a few decades of experimentation we might be able to alter a couple nucleotides without killing the test subject.
The other user got a bit ahead of himself.

I posted about the imprinted brain theory in another topic. I could be getting ahead of myself here but it seems possible that this could also be related to autism.

Hi chucklefuck!

Both me and my sister were born that way

That is part of it, but it is a small part. Doctors usually dont have a problem with clientel unless they are in buttfuck nowhere.
1. People choose do the surgery unless its an emergency, you can always opt for natural birth
2. You have a set date (this is a huge convenience for people). They dont have to wonder when its gonna happen and can plan accordingly
3. Vagina perserved and no episiotomy
4. Lots of horror stories from other women about birth, c-section is very controlled so some women may feel safer in that situation.

Way overdone, I dont disagree. But more pts want it for the convenience not because docs push them to do it for more money.

>terrible catastrophes
the genetically engineered cat-girls are worth the risk.

why is genetic trash ,unable to check off a rudimentary requirement of being a woman, allowed to live

Doesn't it basically conclude with "but this is mostly because women are fucking fat these days"?

If we culled the genetic trash you would be in the bottom of a dumbster and unable to shitpost on Veeky Forums all day.

No, it's because
1) Women give birth far too late,
2) Women give birth on their backs instead of squatting. Squatting to give birth makes everything orders of magnitude easier for everyone involved,
3) Women get their heads filled with "child birth hurts!" (Which isn't a lie of course, it is painful, but squatting makes it less so) and all sorts of stupid Feminist/Beauty Magazine memes like "Squatting to give birth is literally rape" or "Your child will become a psychopath if you take pain reducing meds while giving birth!".

I don't see a problem.

>Squatting to give birth is literally rape

I don't believe this. Did someone actualyl say this? Link

>3. Vagina perserved and no episiotomy

very understated point. pregnancy is very different for each women. Some can have 5 kids and still be as fresh as a teen's or they have one kid and BAM you got a gaping maw.

The human body is very unsuitable for birth. We are like ferrets in which we have some batshit retarded issue with the reproduction cycle. Female ferrets die if they don't fuck while in heat due to Aplastic anemia.

Much bigger problem is the maternal attachment deficit that comes with surgical delivery

sounds like newage bullshit

gonna need a source on that one pal

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18771508

midwiferytoday.com/articles/physical_impact_csec.asp

hugthemonkey.com/2006/10/the_motherbaby_.html

Fathering directly after birth

>because it's safe
No. Short term it is more dangerous, long term it is statistically worse as well (breastfeeding rates, gut problems, attachment and mental health issues).
>because it's more profitable
In privatised health systems CS rates are significantly higher. They make the hospital more money. This is partly also due to these hospitals having more inductions and unnecessary interventions, which just fucks up the natural birthing process to the point where a c section is necessary. This is such a problem that for healthy pregnancies, home birth is actually statistically safer than hospital, since you don't have these problems and you're less stressed (stress hormones delay the birthing process).

Ok this thread has me convinced, one I have my qt traditional wife she will be pumping out her babies at home the natural way

That's nice user, I'm sure Tyrone will appreciate the help

i hope

wide hips are my thing

>we can literally edit our genes on a whim
Still alot of problems and risks. Same with A. I.
user here spells it outPic related however's the closet we can come and most reliable we could do if we really tried even right now and has also to a degree already happened. A more Veeky Forums and human push could do the job

Finally having a love life has made me strongly favor genetically engineering children. I have an inheritable disorder and it would be just wrong for me to gamble with a child's life by reproducing without checking them genes. You see this often with Down's Syndrome--people will oppose selectively aborting them until they are pregnant with a retard. I want to ensure any child of mine only experiences the normal bullshit life throws at you, without also being disabled.

I know, muh slippery designer genes slope, but this is the only ethical choice for millions of people who have inheritable issues.

>evolution
>science
>real or relevant
TOP KEK

>evolution
>science
>real or relevant
>aeon.co/essays/on-epigenetics-we-need-both-darwin-s-and-lamarck-s-theories

>technology has found a solution to birth brain sizes continuing to rise with a corresponding increase in the size of women's hips
>this is bad

Not relevant.

It happen in free healthcare countries too.
Doctors get salary but also are paid by hours and 'operation' and obviously cesarean pay better than normal birth.
Hospital also get paid for more complicated operation more.
Not even mention pre and after care and consultations that are often private and go directly into the doctor and nurse pockets.
Add scare, scary stories and women who don't want risk and want avoid birth trauma/loss of form and then you go.

im sort of a bush-ite at heart, im really against stem cells

>yfw this inadvertently creates a super prion that wipes out the world population
Yeah have fun fucking with a code we know almost nothing about. Don't come crying to me when the unforeseen consequence bites you in the ass.

That muscular one looks unhealthy. Glad they fixed this species.

>bigger fee
Found the american

I find this somewhat grotesque

>I know, muh slippery designer genes slope, but this is the only ethical choice for millions of people who have inheritable issues.

Can't wait until we end up like the Altmer.

>generations of eugenics have made me the very image of Jesus Himself! Purest divine genes!

Exactly the opposite.
It concludes women are too thin, in the pelvis especially.