/domg/ - Dominions General

Utterdark Edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes over a period of 10 years.
The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 3000 units, 900 spells and 400 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.
It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.
Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/wjbSA98Y

>Drawfaggotry
dominionsdraws.imgur.com/

>DOMINIONS 5 IS OUT.

>Where do I get it?
Currently only available on Steam.
store.steampowered.com/app/722060/Dominions_5__Warriors_of_the_Faith/

>Manual
illwinter.com/dom5/dom5manual.pdf
illwinter.com/dom5/dom5tables.pdf

>Mod inspector
larzm42.github.io/dom5inspector/

>Multiplayer guide
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1212948582

>Debug mod
dropbox.com/s/oo492x2cs8vag34/debug509.zip?dl=0

>How do I change the fonts?
Replace guifont.ttf, guifont_fancy.ttf and guifont_texty.ttf in the game's 'data' folder (C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Dominions5\data usually).

>Is there an easier way to play multiplayer?
rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/dominions-4-pbem-manager-new-stuff.104015/
Works for Dominions 5 just as well.

>Completed games
Submit them here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeuclmaCiRo8vcTztsKjPJxnBgRDE-E1uNvE5j0x5wDZMMhRA/viewform
Results:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OxILAa3Y_O7Vk2NFhKAAQfStHqh1WJXMkGCim9sQ_ns/edit#gid=1292233344

>OP pastebin
Just copypaste it and link the previous thread below.
pastebin.com/RbFWcFcU

>Previous Pantokrator:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-MT702dNDE0
soundcloud.com/boksi-1/elephants-trampling-blood-slaves-forever
github.com/etheralm/dom4pbem/releases
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for Tuatha are best elves

Second for /domg/ belongs to /pol/

Yo Abysia

Arnaud's Archers is carrying 2 enchanted items, mind if I run him into your PD to see if they drop if he dies? his merc force aint enough to actually take 10PD before he gets killed with poor scripting set so I figure it cant hurt if you already have the PD, if not dwi

No worries if you'd prefer I didn't or just dont reply, just bored enough to bring up this kind of dumb shit in diplo

>tfw bought the game a few hours ago
>been playing 40 hours
>still don't know if I'm doing ok or not, only played against ai and normal ai is beatable

actually on review Arnaud himself has 15 protection, 17 attack/defence and fear 8 from heroic, might be best to not do that after all

if you're beating normal AI in your first few games you're doing ok

shit if you understand the UI enough to learn more you're doing ok

just understand that AI games are for learning the controls, not learning how to play.

l0ki/lowkey here. lil sneek peek at some of the stuff im making for my ~7 nation tc mod

basic set and some add-on sites done for this nation. wont be able to do the demihuman stuff for each nation until i make the actual demihuman sites

Let's hear some lore.

uhhh top left are prostitutes/spies and you get a male or female option. that's lore

those are some big shields

GOOD LORD WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THERE?

also, need someone to set man AI, they did admit that they were dead and staled after getting an extension

>GOOD LORD WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THERE?
looks like a typical domg game to me

Nonsense, not even half the players are stalling. That's way better than typical domg.

page 10

Just pause the game for a week, admin. Man is easily the largest nation right now and him going AI or chainstaling for a week would fuck up the game for sure.

It's turn 20, we've had 0 stales so far and the game is just becoming interesting. The only one I'd feel sorry for is Nazca but he's basically been out of the game for so long I'm sure he wouldn't mind it.

Why did you give a mercenary two items?

I didn't, sometimes they just show up with const items

You remember that master password llama asks you to provide alongside the admin password for the game?

That should unlock any pretender in your game.

That's a lot of units.

Are all of them recruitable, or is it some xpshape thing?

Hard-hitting YouTube journalism:

youtube.com/watch?v=-MT702dNDE0

If I tell units to rout at the start of a battle, will that make other units that I want to stay rout as well through army losses?

L E A K E D

What's the lore reason behind Vanheim and Helheim basically combining in MA?

Vanheim won and conquered Helheim

Elagabalus Rome. Kinda Sceleria but with blood gimmick instead of death.

uh, we all know it's the SA guys. I'm surprised that this surprises anyone

bump

Why do you sub someone around turn 60~ if you're gonna stall you piece of shit?

Fine by me, do you want me to put on some extra PD? The province that borders you currently has only 1PD.

I mean, if you change your mind and want to do it, just tell me beforehand so I don't have a sitesearching mage there or something.

Reminder to password your pretenders so the admin can't set you to AI in a fit of autistic rage when you win a battle against him.

nah I figure he'd fuck up at accidentally cap it if it had anything short of 20PD with Fear 8 and decent enough Attack/Defence in play

it's possible a Warlord PD defender would kill him but eh, still probably not worth the risk on your end, not worth the loss of face on mine if it goes wrong

If you don't give me province 36 next turn it's war. You've been warned.

>implying a password would matter
t.never admined a game

soundcloud.com/boksi-1/elephants-trampling-blood-slaves-forever

this is an interesting false flag
cause province 36 is on Pankor V, my closest holdings are on one of its moons

and I'm already at war with Hinnom

bump

>someone elves you
>attack him back and beat him
>get to siege his cap
>he stales
I like this feeling.

>tfw want to try multiplayer
>supposed to manually send a file to some email address?

where do I begin?

t. okofire

If it's passworded, the best the admin can do is change your email so you can't play, but then he'll have a permastaler.

Do a pair of times so you know how it actually works, then github.com/etheralm/dom4pbem/releases (yes it works with Dom5).

hey what are the coe4 equivalents of races in dom5?

What nations or strategies are best to counter:
- MA C'tis?
- MA Pythium?
- MA Atlantis?
All of the above at once?

>MA C'tis
Folds vs early aggression, their sacreds are not very killy and in winter they fall asleep in 4 battle turns flat. If it already has enchantment 5 snipe the marshmasters with flyers and/or banish the skeletons. Ideally bring something for rPoison or end the fight before it can do any severe damage. If you have regen you're fine. If they have conj5 watch out for howl you might need bodyguards to stop them from gnawing on your mages.

Most important thing is to fight in cold dom and try to force them to waste marshmasters. They're expensive and C'tis needs them sitting at home researching.

So Caelium is the perfect nation to counter them?

Skeletons are pretty good at soaking up tstrike so you have to be aware of that. But on the other hand air elementals will ruin C'tis. Their sacreds are also fairly tanky so if your birds don't snipe the mages and/or commanders leading them you're gonna struggle to kill the sacreds. Sacreds are map move 1 so you should be able to raid until ctis goes ai.

Er, I mean Nazca

Nazca is a bit dodgy since MA C'tis has access to recruit anywhere H3s.

I meant railing them with the sacred flyers (with a rPois bless). Not so much the undead.

MA ermor

If you catch C'tis early on and can run around flipping its territory you should be good. But keep in mind your light lances are going to struggle to get through the protection of the swamp guards and sobeks after the initial hit.

If the admin has set a master password for the game he can use it to open your turns without your password.

Haven't actually had to try it on llama, but I'm pretty sure it works the same as direct connect

Anyone else really lose the motivation to play when they realize 75% of the battles are won via gaming the system? Evobait is the most glaring example, yeah should have won that battle easily by every metric, but since the other guy put out some high hp density units on the side my mages wasted all their magic on those, that's cool right? Actually it's probably closer to 90%, if you just think about it for a second you realize how much of this game is just about gaming the AI and scripting limitations. Yeah I know I can do it myself, but it's just not as fun at all.

I keep coming back to Dominions, playing a few PBEMs, then coming back to this realization and losing motivation. It just isn't very fun to go into a battle thinking "how do I trick his script and AI to fuck up?" instead of "how do I beat his composition and script?".

Dominions 3/4 are on sale, which would you rec as a game I'm buying just to see if I like the series? I could get both but I hate buying more than 1 game at a time; I just end up not playing one

Just buy 5, or 4 if you must.

Not buying the most expensive game to see if I like the gameplay or not. So 4 it is.

You know you could just pirate, see if you like the game and then buy it for the MP

There are no reasons to buy older Dominions games.
Essentially every new one is a straight improvement over the predecessors, and the community moves on immediately.

Just torrent Dom5, see if you like it, if you do, buy it so you can play MP.

I don't pirate. If I like the gameplay of 3/4, I'll just buy 5. Its such a unique looking series that its worth at least trying.

moralfags, baka.

Then just buy 4 but it won't be quite the same experience but at least it's close

>I don't pirate.

Offensive spells definitely need some improvements to usability.

Having my mages all waste fireballs on a single squad because the player put everything else two steps out of range, or having mages go offscript because the enemy put everything on the backline are both silly and make evocations a lot worse than they should be.

Even just letting me tell my mages to fire at a random viable target would be better than current behavior for a lot of spells.

Mages need the ability to move forward to reach targets, and should be able to choose targets at least as well as a random archer unit.

At least coming up with ways to trick enemy mages is still strategy of a kind.

What pisses me off more than that is shit like my communioned-up mages deciding to start chaincasting Gifts from Heaven after the enemy is already in full retreat and killing a handful of retreating enemies at the cost of exploding their own communion slaves.

You can kinda get around that by scripting some of your masters to cast Communion Slave as their last spell. Reduces the off-script fatigue generation.

MA Atlantis is dead in any situation, so you don't need to "counter" them. They can't do shit and die to any other UW nation. If you are UW, proceed to blast them and collect the free gems. The only thing they can do is maybe inconvenience you with their terrible tramplers. So, get a "adequate" UW nation and blast them into pieces.

They require expensive mages, their troops are slow and crappy, and the only research monkeys worth a damn are in coastal forts. If you are fighting them, their gameplay is limited to Evo spam and attempts at Communions.

Pythium is a human nation with frail mages. Get some sacreds-focused nation and fuck them before they can get their economy and military in a working order. They aren't that strong and the communion nerf hit them hard.

Never fought MA C'tis.

You can't always predict to win big fights in 4 turns, and if it's a long battle those off-script GfH casts might very well win you the battle.

I wouldn't mind playing double for Dominions 6 if Illwinter added conditional scripting.
>if (enemy is retreating) { stop casting } else { keep blasting }

>playing double
paying*

>communion nerf

?

I think he means that you can't reliably turn1 cast a communion boosted spell anymore?

I personally like the random nature and the fact that you can't directly micromanage your fights. Setting up for a fight should be a tactical experience, carefully choosing the right spells for the right fights and definitely not be a slog where you gotta line up 15 spells in a script and pray.

Reduce the impact of mages in general and make the fights revolve around fewer but more high impact mages and spells.
Double the fatigue cost of casting
Make mages cost more to upkeep, recruit and perhaps even increase their commander point cost
Increase the control you have on the spell target (or at least attempted target), such as highest HP and lowest HP.
Allow to set up a spell on repeat
AI improvements to the casting system

>carefully choosing the right spells for the right fights
My point is you can't do that for more than 5 turns. So assuming you set up your communion on turn 1 and break it down again on turn 5, you only actually get to cast 3 spells.

>Reduce the impact of mages in general and make the fights revolve around fewer but more high impact mages and spells.
>Double the fatigue cost of casting
>Make mages cost more to upkeep, recruit and perhaps even increase their commander point cost
This would ruin the game and make it even more about bless rushing. I don't know if you're the same guy who posted this garbage a few turns back, but nerfing mage-use is just horrible idea that only serves to dumb the game down.

>Increase the control you have on the spell target (or at least attempted target), such as highest HP and lowest HP.
>Allow to set up a spell on repeat
This is also part of conditional scripting.

You shouldn't do that for more than 5 turns
If communion of 3 (or 4) turns isn't strong enough then buff that instead of making the game more about mages.

You're not even making sense.

In your first post you say you like the game being about randomness and not being able to make tactical decisions, and then you say the game should be more about making careful tactical choices.

In this post you say communions should be strong enough to decide fights in 3 turns, and then you say you don't want to make the game more about mages.

You say you want the game to be a tactical experience, but every suggestion you make boils down to reducing the amount of tactical options the player has and thus making the game more about brainlessly smashing units together.

It's a concept called more is less.

If you gave all pawn in chess king like free movement that would increase the number of permutations of the game but it wouldn't necessarily make the game any more tactical or fun.
Scripting 15 casts of Thunderstrike isn't any more tactical than scripting 2 offensive casts, a defense buff and a tactical retreat. In fact I would say it's less so.

For tactics and decisions to matter there needs to be drawbacks and consequences.
If you have 20 spells to cast then the impact and importance of choosing any particular one is lessened while few but strong spells offer bigger avenues to be clever

>It's a concept called more is less.
Which you're wildly misapplying here.

>Scripting 15 casts of Thunderstrike isn't any more tactical than scripting 2 offensive casts, a defense buff and a tactical retreat. In fact I would say it's less so.
If you could script 15 spells, you could script 15 Thunder Strikes, but that's not really different to scripting 5 Thunder Strikes in the current system except that you get manual control over cast 6-15. The tactical options don't become more interesting, but they do increase. But just as you can script 5 different spells in the current system, there's nothing stopping you from scripting 15 different ones.

>If you have 20 spells to cast then the impact and importance of choosing any particular one is lessened
It's still in your advantage to finish every fight as quickly as possible, because of the simple fact that you don't want to give your enemy the time to kill more of your dudes. Your first 5 casts will still be more important than anything afterwards. What it does change is that you wouldn't get fucked over by the AI randomly casting dumb shit. Randomness has nothing to do with tactical decisions, and replacing (pseudo-)randomness with actual human decisions means you expand your tactical options, even if you do choose to use them to script 10 more Thunder Strikes. As said before, scripting 15 Thunder Strikes is in no way less "tactical" than scripting 5 of them and letting the AI take over. Try playing a game where you only script one spell per mage. Does it feel more "tactical" yet? Less is NOT more.

You're begging for a dumbing-down of the most interesting part of the game, rather than making it more involved and versatile.

By the way, I'd like to point out that your "hurr just add more script slots" strawman has NOTHING AT ALL to do with the conditional scripting I was talking about. It's utterly pathetic that you can't even knock down your own strawman without falling back on blatant bullshitting.

Nice strawman, I only used increasing the scripting slots as a counter example of your claim that I was all about reducing tactical options when that's clearly not the case.

you say
>fucked over by AI casting random shit
Then double the fatigue cost, put more emphasis on magic items and ritual spells, buff the actual spells and increase their cast time, make spells cost more but be more impactful and bam you got more control and less AI interference all without making the game even more about brainless mage spam

>your claim that I was all about reducing tactical options when that's clearly not the case
>proceeds to explain how he wants to reduce tactical options by nerfing the single most tactical aspect of the game which is combat scripting.

I get that scripting is too hard for you and you just want a casual game where you only have to cast one uber-spell per battle to win the game for you, but please don't try to pretend that increases your tactical options.

I mean if you can't understand then I guess too bad for you.

How does any of that increase control

I understand perfectly well what you want. You want less mages, you want to have less control over those mages, you want them less capable of actually casting spells, but you want the few spells they do cast to have a much bigger impact.

In other words, you want to have a lot of spell power except with less effort and less intelligent thought required.

Nice attempt, except complete opposite conclusion my man.
Good try, good try

I'm not that dude, but I am not sure you fully appreciate the impact of anything you're suggesting.

Can you please explain what you actually want, then?

Because and seem to be describing the exact same thing, except you claim they're the opposite somehow.

Hey probably not, changes in a vacuum like that would probably be straight ass.
Just saying that's the direction I would wanna things move. Would have to iterate and take baby steps to keep things in balance.

I mean doubling or halving anything is pretty major change in all honestly

It's not the scope that's the issue, it's that the changes you are suggesting would have the exact opposite effect of what you claim to be striving for, so I don't think you understand what you're suggesting.

I very much doubt that my man

Then please explain it properly.

Holy shit I won

Sometimes I wonder what the point of all these MR-negates anti demon spells are when all the good ones have at least 15 MR

>What are gem-couriers

Dom3 has a free demo.
Remember video game demos guys? I fucking loved downloading demos from GameSpy and shit back in the day. I wish we can go back to those kinda simple days...

Damn, nice thronerush. I didn't even see it coming since I was too busy defending myself from everyone else's bullshit all the time. Would've taken me one more turn to reach that throne anyway, so there wasn't much I could do.

Congrats on the win.

Read the OP faggot

Also a reminder that Hinnom remained a butthurt failure to the very end.

Congrats. I lost that prov too much to Yomi. I didn't realize you had forting magic. I didn't think anyone else was competent. Finally a Therodos win. I honestly had my bets on Fomoria, but looks like he was too arrogant in thinking he had the biggest lead.

But holy shit that dogpile was real. Fuck you guys. However, if I was in the same position as any other nation I would have done the same. Hinnom is very very powerful. If I was any kind of rush nation I probably would've killed Hinnom asap. I survived 4 nations dog pilling me and was able to fight back and gain more land than I had before the dogpile. Probably even caused Yomi to AI by destroying his shitty invasion army.

All in good fun faggot.