aradev.itch.io/project-alchemist
opengameart.org/content/bunny-rigged-and-textured
hastebin.com/duyurubahi.swift
youtube.com/watch?v=xG0z60igbfE
github.com/cdreher123/A-Hot-Tennessee-Knight
fantasyreigngame.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First one to bump

The only IK that Unity supports is bipedal IK that has a rig that conforms to the setup they have implemented.
I need a tree to lean. It is 4 bones in a line (IK solver will be easy enough), but this isn't humanoid, so there's no support in Unity for it.
Hope I explained that clear enough. I'm bad at words sometimes.

>tfw you accept that unity is shit but its still the least shit engine

Really? That's seem silly, there is no way it does not support it
It is like not having support for 1080p in 2018

Yeah, I thought it was odd too.
If you can find a resource explaining generic implementation I'd be grateful, but my search has come up with nothing.
it's all related to rigify and all that humaniod-only stuff.

Also, pic related.
It's the unity roadmap. Circled task is what I am waiting for.

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Project Alchemist
Dev: ArAdev
Tools: Godot , Paint.net , Krita
Web: aradev.itch.io/project-alchemist
Progress:
+ Worked on menu
+ Fixed some bugs
+ Remake the alchemy system, because how it worked before was clashing with the new level system
+ Added indicators of what have you equipped on alchemy slots, they are different for each material, and change real time when you center energy around a different material from the preferential one
+ Fixed tree physics
+ Started working on a new enemy( without art, currently just uses placeholder sprites )
+ Variable jump height ( before it was the same all the times )
- Didn't post any progress in the week on the threads
- Started college, so I now have less time to work on the game

Reposting in the active thread because I'm a retard.

>live in LA
>practically surrounded by semi-decent amateur rappers who are just trying to get their name out there
This is easier than making my own techno music that all other 1ma do, but then I can't claim to be a 1ma anymore. What do?

Updated Bunny model! Mesh is 13K, rigged with basic leg IK. Decent deformation, not perfect. Cleaned up blender file and bone hierarchy, added nip, booty, bulge, tail and ear control. 1K PBR textures, probably tweak roughness suite your needs. CC0 license.

opengameart.org/content/bunny-rigged-and-textured

I made the switch from Unreal to Unity recently. Unreal is just too slow imo.

damn so this is the power of unreal

Rabbits don't have paw pads.

>opengameart.org/content/bunny-rigged-and-textured
thanks ;)

what the fuck happened to christopher robin?

his winnie got pooh'ed

Fuck, I just realized Ear1.R is not parented to the head. Parent and Keep Offset, no need to reweight.

Anyone want to make music for my game? I'll pay you.

Finished pretty much all of it after not posting progress for 2 years. Now I just need some beats.

Looks really nice. I dig the illuminati motif

Unity.
If I want to keep the same animation motion/transitions/controller but be able to change the color of the sprites for certain states, what is the best way to do it?
>Set color of sprite renderer(s) in code
>Some sort of mecanim trickery that I don't know and need to learn.

rappers ain't nuffin without beats, bruh

What's the purpose of normalized() in godot? I have two different scripts, but they both seem similar. The 2nd one actually feels slightly faster, but I'm not entirely sure.

hastebin.com/duyurubahi.swift

I read the docs, but I still don't really understand its purpose. I am messing around in 3D btw.

Asset store.

neat meme

Thanks, I think that's more of a coincidence than anything else. This is an earlier boss.

You can choose other pallets as well. The game messes with bitrates really badly because of how the colours change though.

is circling enemies insta-kill? looks cool

>2017
>Using Unity when Unreal exists

>2018
>Using Unreal when Godot exists

>Godot

>more of a coincidence
yeat stick to that version

>making sure my game logic runs at the same rate regardless of framerate in godot
>force the fps to 1fps in the game settings for shits and giggles
>game runs like shit but logic works fine
>save and quit, forget to undo the forced fps
>load project later that day, editor now runs at 1fps
>discover force fps affects the editor because for some reason godot can't differentiate between editor and game
>set the value back to normal, have to save and reload before changes will take effect
>saving now takes forever because saving speed in godot, for whatever unholy reason, is framerate dependent
It's a fun experiment you kids can try at home.

Anybody do any stuff with replays? I wanna be able to watch people play my game and see their thought processes for DemoDay.

I designed the game so you can win without attacking once, killing bosses and everything by risking "melee".

But you can also shoot too and there are benefits to that. It's usually harder to dodge and shoot though so I prefer to just wrap them up with the tail.

In the Godot engine source code and many custom community-made modules
I've noticed they do this thing where, instead of including everything in the .h file,
like how I was taught you're supposed to do, they have some #includes in their .h file and some #includes in their .cpp

Why? I didn't even know this was possible frankly.

Is this like super common?

C++ programmer here can confirm?

Reminder: Walkure ga tomaranai!

Normalizing makes the direction vector have a length of 1. In the case you posted, without normalizing, the vector length could be as long as sqrt(2) if the player held an up (or down) key at the same time as holding a left (or right) key. This would allow the player to travel faster diagonally by about 1.4 times as fast as they could in a straight line.

I recommend normalizing.

How much should I expect to pay for high quality concept art?

Zero. Do it yourself.
(Depends on the artist desu)

depends on many factors

High quality concept art as in what?

Do you need that as an indie dev?

Actual art seems far more important.

>Actual art seems far more important.
This

Including .h files in other .h or .cpp files is a common practice. Including .cpp files in other files is frowned upon.

> I didn't even know this was possible frankly.
#include directs the compiler to copy and paste the contents of the included file right at that line. You can use it damn near anywhere, but doing so can cause headaches and confusion, which is why they recommend keeping them organized and in .h files.

BUT: I can think of some times when someone might split a large source file and include the chunks as needed. It can be an easy/lazy way of sidestepping linker issues. Not the best way, but it an ok quick and dirty way.

apparently the godot editor itself is made in the game engine so yeah

>Actual art seems far more important.
I agree, I'm just curious. If I wanted some concepts done for some bipedal creatures I'm thinking I'd be in the 200-300 dollar per image range, yeah?

I might have worded this wrong

What I meant was, let's say you need 6 different #Includes in one place,
Normally what I would think to do is put all 6 #Includes into the .h file
Instead, what they do is more like putting 3 #Includes in the .h and 3 #Includes in the .cpp

When I said "I didn't know this was possible" I was referring to putting #Includes into the cpp rather than header

More importantly why split the information between the 2 files like this?

It depends on what you define as high quality.

I mean if you want some creative bipedal animals you could do anything to arrive at an idea. Hell you could just buy a fantasy concept art book and mimic the creatures in them but make them just barely different enough for nobody to care or notice, not that anybody has memorized all 1 million concept art books anyways.

Getting an interesting idea for an animal is something a 12yo can do.
Drawing it with basic muscles and rudamentory anatomy is something a hobbiest could likely do.

I suppose if it needs to be fine tuned and super high quality made into a AAA tier 3D model between $50-300 per creature sounds right

Same. I prefer to work fast in a shit environment than to work slower in a supposedly "better" one.

It depends on what engine you are using

make your own engine

I got you on the music, pal. I have probably over 50 trap beats ready to go.

Framerate drops look painful.

Thanks user, this is really great and lewd, I love it!

so what's the legal situation on freely provided content like stuff in the unity store or public community projects on github and shit like that?
if I use it in my game and intend to sell the game for money to need to still get permission/put up some copyright heads up in the splashes/credits?

play my game please
I made it over a year ago
it's coded like crap but I've been getting better since I finished
just now thought of posting it here
youtube.com/watch?v=xG0z60igbfE
and source
github.com/cdreher123/A-Hot-Tennessee-Knight
also if anyone decides to actually play it, let me know how bad it is and if you beat it or not. I haven't even beat it, but the faggot commentating the video did

read the licenses

I'm open for anything at the moment so I'd be happy to hear.

That's just the recording program and my shitty cpu. 700 fps is what I get when I toggle off the framecap/v-sync

Bosses now can just 'uppin leave if you time them out (usually by trying to milk for score) or feed to many lives to them. There's also quick kill bonuses and bonuses for stage time to try and stop all the milking.

Read the agreement attached to them. Some of them are with credit, some without. Paid ones tend to be no credit, free with.

Good job sticking with it user.

I give up

If only you were as dedicated to gamedev as you are to posting this every day for years.

Now my game need giant robots that kill you and then moonwalk away.

For GM2, should I be using object-based collision or tilemap collision

Are there any good resources about successful game ideas / design?

Something that can give an insight into why ideas like Minecraft did so well and the thought process behind it?

shit I've never thought about the boss moonwalking the whole time. Now i just need it to turn 360 degrees.

It seems you've been cock(pit)blocked

That sounds boring, why not just decrease score gain the longer you fight the boss?

No, there's no magic receipe for success. Now find an idea for your game and get to work.

>No, there's no magic receipe for success.
That's not what I'm asking for.
I am a terrible idea guy, or at least taking a decent idea and translating it into a well designed game.
I'm just looking for something that gives an idea about how successful game designers think and their process.

How powerful is the dragon drop in godot?

pitiful self bump

I think you can do everything with it, but I don't see the point since GDS is already easy as shit and visual scripts just make everything more convoluted than it needs to be.
Do yourself a favor and l2type.

That's effectively what it is, but in such a way that most players won't notice. There's also bonuses for total clear time, timing stuff out would eat into that pretty hard unless your pacifist running, in witch case you'd more than make up for it.

More like I was already in there, but then lasted 3 minuets without getting anything up.

Anyone using Defold for their gaem?
How has your experience with it been?

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Fantasy Reign
Dev: Henez
Tools: GM:S1
Web: fantasyreigngame.tumblr.com/
Progress:
+ Memory Board (customisation skill tree thingy) list for demo complete.
+ Quests and rewards for demo complete.

Gave me herpes.

Really all you can do is make the best game you can, shill it and hope for the perfect storm. Dissecting the success of a game just by methodology and premise is like tracing back the weather, you could say "oh it rained here on this day because there was an interaction between weather fronts over there earlier" but there's such a high sensitivity to initial conditions that predicting the rain at the time of the interaction would have been impossible.

You should keep your filenames consistent so they're easily searchable on fireden, like Blastion dev. Just Blastion* in filename and done

why?

I don't agree with you dude.

There is definitely, imo, value in studying the process of those who have achieved what you are trying to achieve. There is no guarantee that it will help you achieve the same thing, but it could put you on the right path.

That's why, for example, Engineering students often have to take an Entrepreneurship class, which includes studying success stories in their chosen field.

Great idea. I've tried to find my own game a good number of times and often failed. Feel kinda retarded now.

Why do people have so much difficulty implementing slopes?

if colliding with wall and running
if no collision 1 pixel to the side and 1(or more) pixel up
y-= 1 (or more)
x+= 1 or -1

That's it.

>wanting to be backtraced

>pixels
Some people use float/double positions and want to position as accurately as possible on the slope or have specific interactions (sliding, etc). Makes for slightly more frustrating code.

Of course that just means using a little trigonometry.

>pixel
enjoy your jittery movement

Doesn't make it so you can slide over fences

Here's an idea, a way to turn your head while still having the body point a certain direction. So while attacking an enemy the player might choose to turn the head a to a side to keep an eye at a group of enemies. Just a rough concept at the moment, should happen automatically while attacking or doing some other action that requires the body to lock into a direction but could leave the head free to look around.

Military and spaceships are like the 2 most overused themes for top down shooters and shmups but for a good reason, you can make a mashine of any shape and it won't look too out of place. Are there any less used themes and settings that would still give you the freedom of size and shape for enemies?

Just a personal thing, but I really hate this type of conical lighting.

I much prefer the classic rogue-like lighting that extends in all directions.

You can make up a fantasy or alien world of your own.

>following established themes instead of being original

You might want to try watching some GDC talks on youtube. Go check them, and pick your own poison.

Thing is the most broadly applicable take-away lessons from indie successes usually boil down to media management in some form or other rather than generalisations about actual game design. You could of course learn a thing or two by cross-referencing big indie hits from the last n years and looking for common factors but I think you'll be unlikely to distill anything particularly fundamental about the games themselves.

little girls

>You might want to try watching some GDC talks on youtube. Go check them, and pick your own poison.
Good suggestion, thanks.
I had forgotten about GDC.

I think the last GDC I watched was when Will Wright was promoting Spore.

I feel like you are looking at it very cynically.
What do you mean my "media management".

For me, the indie games I truly enjoy, are good because they had a good idea that was relevant at the time, and they translated the idea into a good game design.

The virtue of being relevant at the time is only really clear given the context of hindsight though, is partly what I'm getting at.

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Fauna Wars
Dev: weaklight
Tools: Game Maker 2
Web: -
Progress:
+ brushes to paint obstacles on the map work
+ test for placing obstacle sprites based on the tiles works
+ test for depth ordering works.
- object activating/deactivating behaving weird. can't tell if it's me or GM.
- art is pain. seriously though, intended to paint the tiles, don't wanna half-assedly go back to 3D, but maybe I'm being unrealistic.

>The virtue of being relevant at the time is only really clear given the context of hindsight though, is partly what I'm getting at.
I think every stock broker would disagree with you :)

isn't that one of the transformations from kameo

Why aren't you a succesful stockbroker then?