/hg/ - Halo General

#405 - Valentine Edition

Welcome to Halo General. Here we discuss the Halo games, expanded universe, and fan projects. Discussion of general Xbox developments, news, and games is also allowed unless stated otherwise. New arrivals check out the spreadsheet for updates on community events and to familiarize with active /hg/ members.

>/hg/ community spreadsheet
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/180BTI18TtggxC9yGxZE5-_QPiSK_fFAGLOx5awbTySY/edit?usp=sharing

>Halo 5 Spartan Company
halowaypoint.com/en-us/spartan-companies/halo general

>Latest Halo Community Update
halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/communique-collection

>Important Halo Links and Notes
pastebin.com/TEdXes5c

>Xbox One clips and screenshots
xboxdvr.com/
xboxclips.com/

>>>Halo News

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/180BTI18TtggxC9yGxZE5-_QPiSK_fFAGLOx5awbTySY/edit?usp=sharing
mediafire.com/file/jy6nfbnrwnqhtb9/SPV3.1.0f.zip
h2pcmt.com/Cartographer/Installer/
mediafire.com/file/7v0fulcl0ll9lk9/ElDewrito_0.5.1.1_Release.zip
github.com/Clef-0/FMM2/releases/download/v2.00/FMM.exe
microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/halo-5-forge-bundle/9nblggh4v0fr
imgur.com/a/OOF1r
imgur.com/a/6FqzO
imgur.com/a/Pb9Vq
drive.google.com/open?id=0BzxNZWWqyX42ckt0ZDdWaG1WSkk
drive.google.com/open?id=0BzxNZWWqyX42Sk9iamNQaW81V3c
drive.google.com/open?id=0BzxNZWWqyX42aUIwbUZxWHJ0V1E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for remove sprint

>/hg/ Spreadsheet, Updates, Events, and More

>Halo on PC:

>SPV3 w/ crack:
mediafire.com/file/jy6nfbnrwnqhtb9/SPV3.1.0f.zip

>Halo 2 Project Cartographer w/ crack:
h2pcmt.com/Cartographer/Installer/

>ElDewrito 0.5.1.1 (INSTALL NOW, UPDATE TO 0.6 LATER):
>Base game: mediafire.com/file/7v0fulcl0ll9lk9/ElDewrito_0.5.1.1_Release.zip
>Foundation Mod Manager:
github.com/Clef-0/FMM2/releases/download/v2.00/FMM.exe

>Halo 5: Forge (WINDOWS 10 ONLY):
microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/halo-5-forge-bundle/9nblggh4v0fr

>AVAILABLE ON STEAM (and Windows Store):
Halo Wars: Definitive Edition
Halo Wars 2
Halo: Spartan Assault
Halo: Spartan Strike

>IN DEVELOPMENT
ElDewrito version 0.6 will release THIS MONTH, will feature a forge mode better than Halo 5, will eliminate many bugs, and will release with Halo 3 assets stock. Already has Team Slayer and Action Sack servers.
Project Contingency is a fan-made Halo game being made in Unreal Engine 4. Coming soon.
Installation 01 is a fan-made Halo game being made in Unity and shows a lot of promise. Coming Soon.

Art Books:
>Art of Halo 3
imgur.com/a/OOF1r

>Art of Halo 5
imgur.com/a/6FqzO

>Art of Halo
imgur.com/a/Pb9Vq

>Art Compilation from CE to 4
drive.google.com/open?id=0BzxNZWWqyX42ckt0ZDdWaG1WSkk

Lore:
>Warfleet
drive.google.com/open?id=0BzxNZWWqyX42Sk9iamNQaW81V3c

>Halo Books
drive.google.com/open?id=0BzxNZWWqyX42aUIwbUZxWHJ0V1E

finishing a halo 5 arena or warzone game today nets you a free Valentine's day req pack

which one is the sub?

I don't care about how many viewers I get. I just want to git gud at streaming and also to tune my setup, and also to force myself to play through Pathways into Darkness

>mac exclusive

how is that even a question?

so... Locke, right?

Reminder for those who didn't see in the last thread, Halo 3 achievement boosting is going on tomorrow night at 8pm EST.

The fight between Chief and Locke in Halo 5 proved Locke is the Sub which is awesome.

Motion capture was a mistake

twitch dot tv/flippantsolutions
I'm starting with some bungie history

You mean the fight where Chief got his ass kicked and barely escaped with a broken visor?

I remember that scene going a lot different. 343 just had to obnoxiously show their OC beating Chief's ass. If they understood Fanservice at all, chief would have absolutely destroyed Locke.

and it's wierd because there's a time to give in to fan service and then there isn't. If they didn't want to do it, they should have built up Locke appropriately with more material. But they have no idea how to introduce new characters appropriately. They dis the same shit with Atriox.

I have a lot easier time believing atriox because they gave us decades of him being a warlord, outsmarting the covenant, etc. As backstory. Essentially he's a really annoying little bug that was too quick and smart for the covenant to squish. But he slowly got bigger and bigger. And he gets wrecked by the end of the game, anyways.

As for Locke, he comes out of literally nowhere. We know he was an ONI agent and did some shit on the ruins of alpha Halo, but Essentially he goes from that to 360 noscope flying down down a mountain killing Jul'Mdama, beating up chief, saving the arbiter, then saving the universe

What was the problem with Atriox? It was a good scene.

Atriox still came out of nowhere.
The entire Banished threat was completely made up.

That's how an expanding universe works, it's not like it breaks the canon or retcons anything.

The scene was terrible.
It's like that sonic game where shadow comes out of nowhere and omg he's faster than Sonic but don't worry he's not new he's actually been around for decades and now he's out for revenge!
cringe.

>the scene was good
Oh mah God look how amazing our OC character is he totally beats up 3 Spartans all at once.
But we need them alive for the game so of course he lets them live.
bad writing 101.

Breaking canon isn't the issue.
Bad writing and forcing a character into the mainframe is. Same issue as Locke.

this
The two scenes have the same problem and are executed almost exactly the same way.
Hell, if anything Atriox is worse because at least we get to get used to Locke for bit and get to play as him first. Atriox literally comes out of the darkness, defeats 3 Spartan II's, and then never goes CQC for the rest of the game.

found the faggot that likes the Buu saga most

I could understand the complaint if they did this constantly, but it's totally believable that there were factions of aliens out there that didn't want to be part of the covenant. It's less believable that there's some Gary Stu new Spartan who does everything right, beats up chief, then saves the Galaxy

Eh, i thought it was pretty good, brutes are already stronger than spartans as far as i know and Atriox is supposed to be above the average brute.

If it not breaks the canon then it's not an issue and it's not forced at all, how are you supposed to introduce new characters then? You sound like you're just looking for stuff to complain. If you want to complain about Atriox just focus on real and objective arguments like how he barely got any exposition in the game, barely any dialogue or any of the competent skills and tactics he shows everywhere else.

The banished as a force is more believable. That one scene with Atriox is just cringe.

Nigger do you know how big a galaxy is? This is like complaining about requiem or the didact because "OMG they're forcing new shit into the spotlight"

The covenant was the biggest empire in the Galaxy, but it wasn't galaxy spanning. There's room for plenty of different factions out there. And the banished was never stronger than the covenant, the covenant just never managed to exterminate them. It makes sense because they were on the same tech level, unlike humanity who was outmatched.

>if it not breaks the canon then it's not an issue
thank God you're not in charge of anything creatively

The problem is Atriox, not the banished
Though the Banished being as major of a threat as they apparently are is also rather forced.

Not an argument.

They were only presented as such a major threat because the spirit of fire is one old ship and they're stranded on the ark with no backup. It's not as if the banished were about to go conquer earth or something. Now THAT would be forced.

So in the next Halo game it's reveled that there is actually a giant beach ball t hat visits the galaxy every 2 billion years and destroys all the guardians when it shows up.
Don't worry, you've never heard of iug before so it's not breaking any canon.

>there were two targets back then. They almost got us. With the Banished, they never came close
it was forced, made even more dubious by the fact that one one half manned SOF beat them

they're presented over and over as the force that "defied the covenant"

>defending the Atriox scene
I can't believe what I'm reading, and I like Halo Wars 2 for the most part

It wouldn't be. It would be hamfisted and retarded, but when we are dealing with a post-genocide humanity and an entire Galaxy, of course we don't know everything there is to know. New characters and places are bound to be discovered.
>OMG WHO IS EXUBERANT WITNESS??
>WHO IS WARDEN ETERNAL
>WTF IS GENESIS? THIS SHIT BREAKS CANON BECAUSE IT WAS NEVER MENTIONED BEFORE

Ever heard of guerrilla warfare? No?
The Banished are only raiding outposts while the mighty Covenant empire is focusing on a massive civil war, human war and the flood threat.

Then explain what's wrong with it, i'm open to have my mind changed. Saying it's forced and cringey is just an opinion. At this point i'm starting to believe you're just mad because "muh OP spartans" got BTFO.

Just because the covenant didn't beat them doesn't mean they are stronger than the covenant.

You are stronger than a bug but you still might have a bitch of a time trying to swat it. Imagine if there was a little bastard of a bug who would constantly buzz around, eat some of your food, and make fun of you.

And guess what? They failed in showcasing just how better Spartan 4s are in fighting. Worse is that Locke is a ONI operative... who can't subdue anything well at all!

This. Unironically this. It proves that Locke is a sub. I'm betting Buck is a dom who can easily subdue Master Chief.

Until you think of I'm half-n-half on the Banished. It is an interesting idea and a fairly cool new faction (or at least, finally one that isn't just about religious shit), and I suppose I can believe that a (comparatively) small force that is constantly mobile and led by a wily leader would be able to evade attention for quite awhile.

On the other hand, they're hyped up in-game to be such a big deal that it's perhaps a *bit* weird they haven't been heard of. And Atriox is a bit much to swallow: somehow the first Brute we've met who isn't a howling savage isn't just intelligent, he's a genius who can sweet-talk the honor out of an Elite and a peerless strategist who can easily fight or evade the Covenant for years, and an unbeatable fighter who makes a squad of Spartan-IIs piss themselves.

The go-to strategy of 343 does seem to be "Roll out the Worf Effect". It gets tiresome.

Locke shouldn't have even touched chief. Let alone have the upper hand for the majority of the fight

Fuck off with your BDSM shit retards.

If anyone wants to fuck around in BTB on halo 5, I’m gonna start in 10 minutes or so. Not gonna play too seriously

GT: Glacier63

Why would we have heard of them before now?

>By the way chief, did I ever tell you about the banished? We are currently fighting the covenant who are invading our home planet of earth, but actually, there exists a faction out there who has managed to withstand them! Fascinating, right?

I'll get on after lunch for a few quick matches. Will take about half an hour or so

And they were a good friend.

The way I remember thinking about it: Chief was tired, didn’t want to kill him (he’s had trouble with that before), and we can’t forget despite him being an SII, he’s still in his 50s/60s and his suit isn’t as advanced as Locke’s was.

Chief is in GEN II MJOLNR (same as Locke), fag

>Then explain what's wrong with it

>1) Atriox has neither a helmet, nor energy shields (he's clearly stabbed at one point, complete with a couple drops of blood), yet none of the Spartans aim for his big, unarmored head.
>2) Several times, the Spartans just run directly towards him firing their guns so he can swat them aside
>3) When Atriox snags Douglas the other two just sit back for several seconds letting him cripple their teammate
>4) Atriox manages to sneak up on them- right out the corner of Alice's eye even- despite them having motion tracking
>5) No matter how tough and skilled Atriox is, 3 Spartan-IIs would never be as much a cakewalk to fight as he made it seem. It just doesn't sit well.

Chief is biologically about 35-40ish
His suit is up to date. It's no longer the Halo 3 armor, they gave him upgrades between 4 and 5.
Chief is experienced enough to incapacitate and opponent without killing them or getting his visor smashed.

The cutscene is an abomination and does nothing but tug 343's Locke boner

Rude

> Atriox has neither a helmet, nor energy shields (he's clearly stabbed at one point, complete with a couple drops of blood), yet none of the Spartans aim for his big, unarmored head

Broot have thggk skul. strong!

Well he could just chew then bullets up

How does one get friends here without joining the Discord?

Name 1 (one) better fight scene in Halo. I'll wait.

(Note: Forge VS Ripa does not count. Neither does Arby VS Johnson. Halo wars and Halo 2 are non-canon)

You dont. The posters who claim to hate the discord are in the discord themselves.

>posting degenerate anime
just keep doing that and you'll find friends on here

That stream was okay for me to make
keep in mind i'm not a youtube personality
Next wednesday I'll do it again and I'll try to hit the 2 hour mark

Alpha nine vs Chieftain was kino.

I just don't want to assume an identity.

>any fight scene in Halo being good

None of them are particularly good (lol regret's guards in Halo wars are only armed with Spears and just run to their death) but chief V Locke was particularly bad

A pretty good chunk of the story has been from a Covenant perspective. Nobody ever mentioned the single intelligent Brute in existence who absconded with an army, including tons of supplies and weapons, and kept thieving and raiding their shit throughout the war. Especially in how it regarded alleged Brute stupidity, the Elite-Brute rivalry, challenged the Covenant's self-declared supremacy, etc.

And especially in more recent canon where it seems like ONI actually had a decent understanding of the Covies, including specific individuals such as Thel, Let 'Volir, etc. Hell, at one point in some of the game's logs they mention that ONI was considering reaching out to Atriox to form an alliance, which seems like something of note that might've come up before

But again, it's only a *bit* odd. Current canon on the Covenant makes it seem even bigger than it was before and mentions that certain sections of its empire wouldn't even come into contact with the rest for years, which greatly lessens the improbability of there being a fleet of pirates that aren't too much a concern of the larger leadership. The main issue is Atriox.

Sgt. Johnson vs 343 monitor

>the single intelligent Brute in existence
What are you talking about? Brutes are smart as fuck, secon only to the prophets., they designed their own tech and shit.

This.

Will tackling a pair of hunters and tearing one apart with his bare (MJOLNIRed) hands.

Yeah it's in a book, so what.

>Jiralhanae are the only species on record who achieved space, reduced themselves through internecine war to a preindustrial condition, [clawed] their way back to their former state, and learned nothing from the experience

It's fun when Forerunners get snarky

Halo 5 BTB 2/8 for BTB
GT: Neirn

I love when the EU authors just make up retarded shit with the stroke of a pen that pretty much completely goes against everything 99% of the base is familiar with and knows.

What does that go against?

I love it too, glad we agree on that.

Fucking bestiarum, i can't believe i had to buy the Collector's edition (i already had the Legendary) just to get the physical version of the book.

>Halo wars and Halo 2 are non-canon
Uhhhhhhhhh what?
Are you just moving the goalposts because those fights are better and you don't want them to be used against your weak argument?

Halo 2 did have fights?

You can't make friends without an identity

It's not like it matters
like, yeah its retarded, but it won't ever come into play so for all intents and purposes you can forget it's even a thing

>load up Halo 5
>Castle Wars is gone
>uninstall Halo 5

>How does one get friends here without joining the Discord?
just join game sessions.
take a look at the spreadsheet and contact one of the friendlier guys.
Don't listen to anyone who says you have to joijn the discord

Best fight coming through!

it will be a lot easier to join games when the fucking company leader starts playing next month. I get it, everyone needs breaks from halo, but he probably picked the worst time to take one (right after a transition of power)

i agree

in his defense, he had been saying for a while he was going to play demons souls in Feb. Nobody knew Kai was going to randomly quit when he did.

all in good time, my cherub

i was actually thinking of this as well

706 standard weapon kills left

request inv to the company, browse the thread, and check the spreadsheet calender

Pretty meh tee-bee-ach

I am on the company. I also browse (lurk mostly) the general.

>be me, playing Halo 5
>jking joins
>menu freezes
>I am no longer party leader
NANI?

>black guy stole

oh nice.
I would say for now join Neirn's game. He's not currently in the company but will be later. He is one of the regulars regardless.
It's both Ash Wednesday and V day today so it might not be the most active night.

Bravo Bonnie

this brutelet meme is my favourite

>insulting the queen
SPIT ON HIM

Spin off games where Chief is not the main character are not canon

Can you get expelled from the company if you're a frequent player but you almost never plays with someone from the company?

I'm a level 146 very irregular player.