/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

Backup Edition
Previous jej:
The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.
Whether or not a game belongs in /egg/ is a case by case matter, however games that would belong in /svgg/, space voxel games general, are automatically considered /egg/

WebM for physicians:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Algodoo
>Avorion
>Besiege
>Chode - Children of a Dead Earth
>Corneroids
>Crossout
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival
>Factorio
>From the Depths
>GearBlocks
>Garry's mod
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Infinifactory
>Intersteller Rift
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Machinecraft
>Opus Magnum
>REM
>Robocraft
>Robot Arena
>Scrap Mechanic
>SHENZEN I/O
>Space Engineers
>SpaceChem
>StarMaden b
>Stormworks
>Skywanderers
>TerraTech

Games that are definitely not /egg/:
>Minecraft
>The general that quite literally cannot be named.The Mexican scam artist one. With the shitposters. Fuck off.
>underageb& who won't use the search function and also won't read where are they posting

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames
fromthedepthsgame.com

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Warbros Serb rides in CLANGhalla eternal, shiny and chrome

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=820077652
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=820014534
vmashup.com/CmavO8j7
youtube.com/watch?v=3qwU1LQZA5g
walk-man.eu/WBC-SI/bertrand - IROS14_WS-WBC.pdf
typo.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/fileadmin/groups/orb/default_upload/IEEE_Humanoids_2011_Workshop/HumanoidsWorkshop_ChristianOtt.pdf
ais.uni-bonn.de/humanoidsoccer/ws12/slides/HSR12_Slides_Ott.pdf
youtu.be/vAs9EHtKfVc
youtube.com/watch?v=wn_wif-NorU
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1091728522
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Factorio conveyor belts should ONLY be for indoors, ala inside Factorissimo style factories

Obviously the whole "inside bigger than outside" thing should be removed, and the recursive factory thing, but otherwise the idea is fine.

Out door travel should be by trucks and rails.

WOWEE RICK

Has anyone tried this with bobs stuff?

How does it feel to know your race builds pale in comparison to mine?

He jumps perty gud

Is Spengies really that bad?

It's exactly that bad

If you wanna build pretty lego spesships in singleplayer, spengies is fucking brill
If you wanna play multiplayer or survival, or actually do things with the pretty spesship then you're gonna lose some hair and possibly chromosomes

Is there a difference between wheels on rotors and wheels on suspensions? Can I do the same things I can do with wheels on suspensions as I can do with rotors? Suspensions just aren't that compact

wheels on meals is the best :)

Explain. I think this has something to do with madoka...

quest thread on Veeky Forums magical girl noir. Hell of a ride but hasn't been completed yet and I think the author gave up

Game?

are you serious sempai

Spengies. Trying to make an omnidirectional car like pic related

>Is there a difference between wheels on rotors and wheels on suspensions?
Several major ones, and wheels on rotors might be barely functional with new wheel physics (old wheel physics nothing wheel related was functional)

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=820077652
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=820014534
Here are some example vehicles that use rotor wheels

In that case most people just put small wheels on the bottom sideways then use a couple atmospheric thrusters to make a type of hovercar.

>trying to think of any functional planetary miner in spengies
>realize it's less pain in the ass to handdrill some ice, build bootstrap rocket and mine in space then ship it to planet surface
I like planets but mining on them is pure cancer.

>>trying to think of any functional planetary miner in spengies
What's there to think about, build a log hut but instead of logs it's atmospheric thrusters

guys the artillery turret is awesome

It's not about form or function or whatever, it's about concept. Mining in gravity is huge waste of time. The only smart thing I came up with is blow up half an ore vein with large warhead then build drills on pistons on rotor expanding in spiral.

>It's Time

I'm trying to get in to laugh at you.

>Stallion wheel is 70 shekels
>Stallion ST wheel is 250 shekels

True, but it's also one of the hardest things to build well in the game

Other idea that I came up with is wheeled rover with large drill head on mechanical arm that drills verical mineshaft then you switch to small aerial drone to harvest ore.

The almost-swastika is the master race of jumping in generation 88. Nature is just fucking with us, now.

what are your evo settings? Mine keeps crashing for some reason

>tfw I've been running it on the website this whole time
A clever boy I am not.

>I've been running it on the website this whole time

no bully

stop it physicians are at play

MEDIOCRE

It works surprisingly well actually

Have 900c
Do I ride the meme wave and buy two Phoenix or two Quasars?
Those aren't the only options, but they're the two I'm heavily considering. Thoughts?

wrong meme wave
buy stallions and dorifto without body roll

>without body roll
I'm sorry, I'm retarded. What?

Doesn't matter; you were right. I bought 4 ST.
Life is bouncy and good.

Pheonixs are fun, but they kind of suck because of the delayed damage mechanic. Often some guy will drive right into you like a retard, and evey time you shoot him you have to wait a few seconds for the fuse to burn on the explosives before he takes damage giving him plenty of time to shoot you. They are pretty good for hitting people at medium range though because of the fast and accurate projectile.

Meanwhile quasars damage is instant, but the projectile is slower so its harder to use at longer ranges. All depends on which you prefer.

Went with the stallions because memes.
Thanks for you input, though. I appreciate it.

stallion wheels are majestic

>hydraulics
get on my level breh

If I had FtD I would attempt to.

>buy stallions
>press button for flush
>do fully sick skid
>car body doesn't roll as much
>skids more hektic
miracle of the universe

yea they are better then any other wheel due to the ability to change height

When is someone gonna build a cybran walking bote of versatility in FtD
Some absolute nutcase made a walking aircraft carrier in spengies, I've never been able to get it walking without it shredding itself as soon as it starts moving

One guy was working on that but the necessary LUA scripting to make it walk was a show stopper. Versatility in ftd is next level you could make one vehicle for space, air, water, submarine and land combat if you wanted.

I don't want to use thrusters though

is lua even a real script
spengies uses C# for mech walkies and Ctrl C Ctrl V, do some adjustments it basically works

I don't know. I referred to lua as programming here once and user replied by talking about scripts.

It's a programming language most often used for game scripting
If you've modded something in your life you can probably read and edit lua scripts

Lua definitely is a programming language. And a versatile one at that. There are entire high-speed network drivers, packet processing frameworks and webservers written in it.

What’s the alternative? I want to spess build with spess friends in outer spess.

Ftd's implementation of it might be more limited than that. Or at least that's the impression I get from looking at the documentation. For example it doesn't seem to be possible to distinguish between jet thrusters and ion thrusters. I wanted to use LUA to disable ion thrusters below a certain altitude but it may not be possible.

Lua is a meme but used in a sprinkling of games, fortunately features in specific /egg/ games more than not.

Good news is Dual Universe uses Lua and as far as I know that’s going to be the ultimate /egg/ spess game, for real this time.

>the ultimate /egg/ spess game, for real this time.
Can't tell if joking

FtD for more austisms and no multiplayer
Starmade for more Skub and Minecraft
Empyrion if you prefer duplo to lego, or like Rust
Starwanderers for kickstarter scam and Minecraft

ftd technically has multiplayer. There are yt vids of it working.

Spengies technically has multiplayer, here's a vid of it working:
vmashup.com/CmavO8j7

youtube.com/watch?v=3qwU1LQZA5g

FIX
OT
RGAIN
DONY

FIRST
ON
RACE
DAY

For anyone interested in building a Boston Dynamics-style robot, I've found some slides.

walk-man.eu/WBC-SI/bertrand - IROS14_WS-WBC.pdf
typo.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/fileadmin/groups/orb/default_upload/IEEE_Humanoids_2011_Workshop/HumanoidsWorkshop_ChristianOtt.pdf
ais.uni-bonn.de/humanoidsoccer/ws12/slides/HSR12_Slides_Ott.pdf

The first one is IHMC's attempt at programming Atlas for the DARPA robotics challenge (they didn't do very well), the other two are about the DLR's blue walker (which is very weak). All are fairly byzantine arrangements of PID controllers, Kalman filters, IK solvers and so on.
Far as I can tell, Boston Dynamics is tight-lipped on how their new robots work.

hello r*ddt. now plz go and stay go.

DU is already the best. and it's tech will be used by all future successful online games.
but please keep bagging on a monthly subscription fee, because i am tired of cohabiting with welfare niggers.

>For anyone interested in building a
m8 we can't even keep a server running

You know the the usual suspects are physicians who have problems with Lua scripting.
You should have also linked some textbooks about linear algebra, applied mechanics, control engineering, systems theory, and so on...

Yeah the biggest problem with mining on planets is small drill ships are total trash. I also generally do the minimum mining needed to get me to space. The lander is pretty easy to add a hydrogen tank and two large hydrogen thrusters to nope right out of there. That said I do usually build a small atmospheric miner. Necessary, especially if you have inventory set to low.

If staying on planet then a large strip miner would be needed. Atmospheric power, bottom drills, and side stone ejectors. Man I want to build one now...lol

What is the /egg/ serb status?
Spengie(racing)group/serb?
Eggtorio Modded and Vanilla serbs?
(ded)Cuckout clan?
No pre alpha Stationeers group/serb?

Have I missed something?

Something too big stops making sense.
The power you need to keep it up, the thrusters you need in all directions to manouver and the max carry weight force you to be this big if much.
Unless you do vertical mining only, poking holes each time, but not able to move sideways or in any direction.
Also the efficiency of large grid amospheric thrusters are terrible, so it dosent worth going large grid for planet mining.
Space in the other hand, you can go full TBM roid eater.

youtu.be/vAs9EHtKfVc

Suspension wheels are meant to be used for driving. They are controlled with WASD, they have suspension, they steer, they have controlled parameters and the wheels are unique to the block.
Rotors can only be controlled with buttons, or complicated programming. Placing wheels on rotors is less useful and versatile, and more dangerous.

Is there a good FPS/Walking-Sim game with heavy engineering sim elements? I'd love a game something like Half Life but with more focus on walking around and getting things to work. There's Prey, which wasn't too bad and INFRA which was a little more chill.

Bonus points for silent protagonist as well.

>Also the efficiency of large grid amospheric thrusters are terrible
They are actually twice more efficient on mass and energy consumption. If only they weren't ten times less space efficient.

Literally Garry's Mod.

The real trick to building robots like boston dynamics does is force control. I am tempted to build a version of spot/big dog in spengos, but right now I'm trying to build an omnidirectional car for the war bros serb.

It actually shouldn't be that hard to make spot. I've been able to get torque control working in spengos and it's not too bad. Next step is making one leg hop in a plane. If I can do that and not have it clang it should be possible to make spot. Will post some papers on how to make NICE quadrupeds later

>they are actually twice more efficient
Ok, show me a large grid atmospheric miner that can manouver in all directions and is able to carry 40 tons of ores.
Ill wait.

Yeah I'm thinking a pure strip miner. Wouldn't be able to be flipped.

have you ever seen a tunnel boring machine sonny jims

youtube.com/watch?v=wn_wif-NorU

And what does it do?

In space TBM desings do work no problem, but in planets making 100 meter holes just to dig the diameter of your ship each time to mine carpet spread ore veins that are like 5 meters thick is physcian levels of mining.
Thats why a manouver miner is the best solution.

Like I said, it's ten times less space efficient. You should only use them on helicarriers.
Also, your picture is wrong, ore is distributed in horzontal pancakes, not in small chunks.

If you're looking for something with a story I'm unaware of such things - most of the time they restrict you to specific things and tell you what to do like "pull X lever then press Y button to start the engine". GMod is your best bet, really.

If you want something less "engineering" and more "walking sim", there's always the Myst series...

>drop large warheads from big plen til ore is showing
>extend large plen's advanced rotor chained piston drillhead
>chomp ore
>refine on the go
Bet you 6 large atmospheric thrusters can float your mother on top of all the ore

>building warheads to mine some iron or whatever
>implying all that will work in a survival server without crashing it
>using rotors
Top physcian

Don't mine on planets. It eats simspeed and increases save file size. Either do minimal mining to fuck off in space or cheat with this steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1091728522

The Reich is now operating at 26.97%.
Endsieg soon.

why do people in factorio streams insist that walls don't work

This game should get added to the OP

Explain the effects of the NN settings please.

I think it's used for demolition work.
That jaw crushes and tear the pieces of concrete and rebar and pulls them apart.

It's also pretty darn fast method all things considered, faster than controlled explosive demolition too (if you count the whole planning/installation process of the explosives, that is)

Well, the NN has a fuckton more hidden neurons than the default setting. It the "brain" is more retarded in the early generations, but it "should" be able to learn more "complex" patterns. But no one can just pull the numbers from the a current generation of a NN and explain what exactly it is doing...

whoops