/dfg/

Kisat Dur edition

Previous Thread

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.05.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack (Alpha 44.05, expect bugs):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164123
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455

>Starter Pack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169425.0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Wait what first?

bumping with botes

refreshed last nights thread and it was just getting interesting with security drones flying overhead when it died?

shame shame

What does flashing downward yellow arrow mean?
It appeared on my dog when it finished hunter training and now appeared on one of the bunnies migrant brought.

That was me testing out a fort from my mod. If you wanna check it out its available for download.

Currently working on adding aquatic machines and turning the first cave layer into a sewer system populated by janky and weird robots and possibly crocodiles/troglodytes.

highlight the unit with (v), select the wounds tab with (w), and it should list any condition that they have.

Most likely it's "distracted" which is, well, irrelevant to you in regards to hunting dogs and bunnies.

What do you do with the thousands of low quality stone you accumulate just for doing dwarf things? All my fortress crafts are in high quality metal, glazed earthenware, or at least obsidian, and I can buy out every caravan with a couple barrels of prepared meals. So, what do with one thousand five hundred and thirty four microcline, seven hundred and eighteen orthoclase, three hundred and eighty eight granite, four hundred and eighty two dacite, four hundred and twenty eight phyllite, one hundred and sixty four cobaltite, two-hundred and forty four slate, three hundred and thirty four rhyolite...

no joke, your mod is genius for df, I'm certainly going to be giving it a run after my current fort

Thank you for the encouragement. And feedback is always appreciated, so feel free to tell me what you like/dislike about the mod, as well as any features you think might be bugged.

Also I'd really like to know if armies and such are working properly, since as you may know Age of Steel was created to circumvent the sleeping army bug by creating a setting that immersively justifies having the sentient creatures not need to sleep.

Yep, that was it. Thanks for help.

>>two zero five three seven two eight one six
Make crafts with them

exchange several thousand useless stone for several thousand useless crafts? but why, nothing is accomplished in this way

>buy out every caravan with a couple barrels of prepared meals
>useless crafts
You disgust me.

I've decided to make an enormous minecart launcher that will slingshot stone off the map à la intercontinental artillery and at YOUR FORT for being uncreative and hating dwarven cuisine.

>microcline
Build an altar to microcline god.

DF is the game I hate the most out of all games, no game has offended me more, and for one simple reason: FPS DEATH
I JUST WANT TO FUCKING PLAY.

I make an army of masons to make blocks then create a giant aboveground fort.

So, let me get this straight: There is a definite and unequivocal understanding between Toady and his dwarf fortress fans that the next major update, that being the Myths and Magic update, is absolutely and irrevocably coming out this year, right?

Just use it to train up skills and then smash it. Too many items is bad for your FPS, same thing happens if you use herbalism and hang on to useless seeds. I'm preparing to carve out an underground jungle and seal myself in, so I'll probably have a few million stones to get rid of.

I used to use my workstation to play df at my old work and I could have a fort with ~500 dwarves and still 25 fps. It is still what I miss the most about that job.

he he he

I just discovered that my were-dwarf doesn't pass through doors which have been set as forbidden. I have sealed her within the old hospital and sealed the entrance.

Some final thoughts of my afflicted dwarf before being sealed away for eternity. Hopefully this will be the end of the Werepigs.

The Sizzling Letter has come to this land to establish Divewhips.
Wish me luck guys.

lmao 2cat

>green workshop tool sets laying around everywhere
when will you finally take the ascii pill

No. Stop being silly.

Well I like playing with graphic sets. But just for you i will change it up.

If you're gonna switch to ASCII atleast use a good tileset.

ASCII tilesets are prolly the best ways to play vanilla DF anywho. Image tilesets like the other guys feel unimmersive, imo.

Alright lads. Tin Starraces the Regal Packs of Equality (gotta love RNG) has gathered ten assorted armed chucklefucks and now--in accordance with the roll chart--I need to assert myself as the lady of...somewhere. The left middle human civ is ours which we've been helping out.

I need to decide where Tin will attempt to stake her claim. We've got:

>near-destroyed goblin civ that are the only enemies of my civ
>some other human civs near ours
>piles of dwarven civs
>some elves interspersed about, plus another pocket of them on an island with the last of the kobolds
>humans and elves in the far southeast that are fighting each other

I could also make my own site instead of fighting over someone else's. I might do that to have a "beachhead" of sorts and then raid somewhere.

Tin's personality in brief:
>respects skill, tranquility and peace
>disrespects the law
>no particular value for commerce
>dreams of great discovery
>not very driven
>often compassionate
>ardent worshiper of Gal, goddess of hospitality

what do?

>downgraded

>default curses
>not good

True

give me one
Like my joke. harr harr

Taffer

build a rough and janky tavern for mercenary types of ill repute and slowly build a town around it.

This?
These shananigans are cutting in my playtime. sadface

Much better.

At least i made someone happy.

Much worse.

And now i made someone mad. ffs

Should have just sticked with the graphic set

Life is, in a word, suffering.

ikr

Take this! Hate me if you want.

what mod is that? robots? wtf is going on

>When you have to create a new world directly after embarking in a new one because your starting dwarves are believers in a god of thievery often portrayed as a Kea.

Fine, i will!

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169425.0

I am actually about to update it so don't download quite yet, if that's your intention anyhow.

Basically its a total overhaul mod that turns dwarf fortress into a post-apocalyptic scifi setting where mankind is on the verge of extinction and the main civilized races are various forms of machines, and the majority of fauna is mechanized life. Forests are now barren ruins of concrete and scaffolding, and nanomachines suffuse the landscape, perpetually repairing and expanding the terrain into a twisted and illogical labyrinth of concrete and steel.

The reason this mod was made was primarily to circumvent the sleeping army/refugee mod. I found that you could get rid of it by making it so that sentient races didn't need to sleep, but that was unimmersive in the vanilla game so the only thing for it was to make a new setting where it made sense for the civilized races to not need to sleep, hence the focus on robots.

When will this meme die

when keas have been reduced to a distant memory

I dunno, it's my go to bump image when the threads nearly dead.

thnx for the info, ill check it out. i undestand from the descriptions and the update notes, this is an adventure mode mod?

Just me that don’t see the problem with having a Kea god or god of thievery?
I mean you will probably steal artifacts from other civilizations anyway.
I can enjoy a good Kea joke now and then but you guys usually take it too far.

Some day, when all knowledge of the werepig has passed from history to legend, and from legend to myth, the Dwarves of Zimkelasob will no longer heed the ancient warnings. The werepig will be awakened.

It is focused on adventure mode but every civilized race is playable in fortress mode as well, and should work smoothly (but no guarantees).

Also for anyone interested, 1.6 just got uploaded. Changes include new aquatic creatures like rogue autonomous battleships that patrol the oceans and murderfuck everything and a total overhaul of the first cavern layer, turning it into a sprawling sewer system and adding several unique creatures within.

Jesus, you work fast. Are you a budding game dev yourself or just a neet with a lot of spare time?

The latter. I'd totally accept a job offer to help with game dev stuff but to be honest my real passion is writing lore and stories and such. I can't code to save my life but if someone hired me to write dialogue or something for their game I'd jump on that opportunity.

That's not how dwarf fortress mods work. It's a mod. It changes gameplay in every game mode.

Well I don't know your situation, but you've got imagination and work ethic, so hopefully you find yourself a project or something. Your fantastic races mod was pretty cool, will you keep updating it?

Could always learn how to program. Apply your tism, user.

>Well I don't know your situation, but you've got imagination and work ethic, so hopefully you find yourself a project or something.
That's what I'm hoping for, yeah.

>Your fantastic races mod was pretty cool, will you keep updating it?
I definitely will. Right now I'm just taking a break from it due to the aforementioned sleeping army bug. I mean I know most people probably don't care about it but it pretty much breaks the game for me, and I do want to play and enjoy DF. So Age of Steel is basically me trying to make a version of the game that I can enjoy, by eliminating said bug. But if/when it is fixed I will probably go back to working on Fantastic Races in earnest.

Maybe. I could try it out I guess, I don't have much to lose. But modding is one thing, making a game is probably too much to handle even for me. I mean I'm not entirely NEET, I am just taking online college courses to avoid the crippling debt that comes with paying for room and board, so I have a lot of free time but I still have obligations and deadlines and such.

I DID IT I FINALLY GOT AN ANVIL

Well the Toad himself just made shitty little games until he built up to the giant project of DF.

Fair enough. I might try something like that out if only to make a little money. If it ends up working I could try moving up to something bigger. I don't really see the point of making a big project though since I'd end up just trying to make another DF and there's no way I could do better than Toady, so its a moot point. Like why bother trying to make my perfect game when someone more competent has already been working on my dream game for about a decade? On the plus side it gives me the opportunity to take said dream game and inject my own ideas into it without all the hassle of actually coding it.

Finally going to start up a fort in 44.05. What should I avoid doing to avoid bugs (like soldiers getting stuck in raids and shit)?

That was actually kind of amusing. I just had a small siege where for whatever reason some neighboring Dwarves came to fuck my shit up but I had some (shitty) hammerdwarves ready.

A little skirmish happened, two of my Dwarves died, and then I recalled them to a station to group up because there was one enemy Marksdwarf left.
>Notice one Hammerdwarf going out on his own
>What the fuck is he doing he's in this squad right? Yes. The fuck?
>He gets there through a couple bolts flying at him and clonks the fuck out of this Marksdwarf a few times
>Spends 8 pages hooking the Marksdwarf around by the clothes with his hammer and breaking random bones with arm locks and shit
>This is my fight too
>Grabs Marksdwarf by the neck with one hand and strangles him
>Death... I am not upset by this.

Pretty much just had a Dwarf torture some one to death and toying with them between bone breakings, I've never seen that shit. What a thug.

POOR LITTLE ELV BOI

>I just had a small siege where for whatever reason some neighboring Dwarves came to fuck my shit up
goblin civs have some small numbers of dwarves, elves, and humans as well. That's what happens to the victims of goblin snatchers.

Tbh its a shame so many autismonaut modders in the community go unappreciated outside of here - you guys have rather vibrant (if often fucked-up) imaginations. Wish more story-based community/succession forts used your mods.

would anyone be interested in doing a succession fort? could set it up with a google doc or something

It would definitely be cool to see my mods featured in stories and such. I don't mind though but it would be fun to watch. I guess it kind of make sense though since you can't trust mods to be stable and balanced. I mean I don't get much feedback for my own mods I really don't know if they're fun or not for the majority of people.

the only problem i see is the blue colored shitstone in the southern part

what the fuck do i do with my metal bars
1000+ copper
1000+ lead
350+ silver
500+ zinc

I'd be happy to pass on the mantle if you like, but right now I've been waiting until the more game-breaking bugs are ironed out. Tbh, it's getting close to that point.

Will DF civilian pathfinding ever be fixed in fortress mode?
Allowing climbers to climb, swimmers to swim and fliers to fly?

The dwarves of this civilization are only 35 strong and hold a single camp, besieged by goblins in the east and another uncaring civilization of dwarves in the west. However, 7 of them have decided to make a break for it, travelling south to The Veiled Magma, a volcano on a tundra bordering the ocean. They call themselves The Magma-Halls Of Tenacity and will establish the fort of Alliedmountain to return glory to their civilization.

I don't really blame you guys for a lack of balance since I can imagine even attempting that in DF must be an exercise in frustration. That said it atleast looks like most non-compilation mods are stable.

I do notice the lack of feedback though, must be annoying since it'd be hard to tell on what to focus on for bugfixing or rebalancing.

i was unaware there was a succession person.

what outstanding major bugs are there? been playing .05 and ive yet to experience one (as far as i can tell)

>I do notice the lack of feedback though, must be annoying since it'd be hard to tell on what to focus on for bugfixing or rebalancing.

Oh totally. And I'm mostly an adventure mode kind of person so I don't really know how to balance for fort mode, so that's even more of a problem. Most of the time I just muddle along and hope for the best and I guess that works enough that people keep downloading my stuff.

time to eat

Since we have some modders hanging around, I have a request.

I'd like a way to have my dwarves start a fire. I saw some old raw edits for a modded workshop that did this, but they no longer seem to work.

You want them to breathe fire or just randomly set fire to things?

I want to be able to order my dorfs to set a fire.

I think how the workshop worked, was that it took fuel (don't remember if it was a log or coal) and produced a "burning log" or something which had it's ignition temp way below room temp, so that as soon as it spawned it caught fire.

How does one mince wine?

Well what I would recommend is duplicating the raws for like a rock or something and setting it so it has a low ignition temp like you said. After that its just a matter of making the interaction and adding it to the civ, which is pretty easy.

This is a masterwork figurine of The Dreamy Seducer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. The item is a depiction of The Dreamy Seducer and a dwarf. The Dreamy Seducer is embracing the dwarf. The dwarf is smiling.

That'd be fairly simple to get working - like what said, you'd need to make an inorganic material (copy the materials from a metal like copper, then you'd have to set its ignition temp to room temperature), then have a reaction assigned to a workshop that makes the "burning log".

The reaction would look something like this:

[REACTION:SET_FIRE]
[NAME:set fire]
[BUILDING:CARPENTER:NONE]
[REAGENT:log:1:WOOD:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[ANY_PLANT_MATERIAL]
[PRODUCT:100:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:BURNING_LOG]
[SKILL:WOOD_BURNING]
Basically it just creates a "boulder" of "burning log" that would immediately combust.

Oh, I forgot to mention - for the burning log material you'd want to add on the [SPECIAL] token as well.
Otherwise you'll end up with worldgen artifacts and procedural creatures like titans/forgotten beasts made out of "burning log", similarly to pic related - this is from before I added that token to some projectiles and drinkable materials. A missile-powered pole-axe with hanging flasks of frozen strength brew.

I'm having a spell of dwarven babies dying of thirst all of a sudden. Will look into the matter further.

We had a succession fort a few months ago, but it fizzled out fairly quickly and wasn't that interesting. Next one we do should either be an amusing clusterfuck of mods or with a unique goal in mind.

i would say a goal and then some limitations on certain things that make the game super easy etc

Maybe a succession adventurer. Everyone is John style.

Post ascii tilesets

Yeah, I ran a couple surveys on what people wanted to do, each mode, different styles of play (one playthrough each, or one year, or one major event, one week irl, et cetera). People voted to do one year in the fortress per turn. Problem with that turned out to be a lack of players: we burned through the list, and over a couple weeks, we utterly ran out of players, so it wouldn't have been feasible to keep it running. Hopefully the influx of users from the update should make an actual fortress more viable. Might run a survey to see how many people would be willing to play, maybe put it into the OP post.

well i would be up for it

what about 3-5 people, one year per turn and just cycle it? so you play and 3-5 ingame years later you take back control?

ive never done one and would love to, played DF loads but never actually tried a succession game.

>we burned through the list, and over a couple weeks, we utterly ran out of players,
i never got my turn :'(