store.steampowered.com/app/794920/Capture_the_monster/
youtube.com/watch?v=KCOWsjx71wo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first for godot

Thread ruined. Somebody make a new one.

>tfw realising im actually almost done my game ive been working on too long

nice
whats with the framerate

I've never touched a programming language in my life and i want to start learning, my goal is a adventure game.
Should i learn python or jump into c# and Unity?
Any reccomendations.
Treat me like a blank slate

recording with gyazo pauses the start

Having an "ultimate goal" of a video game is fine, but reaching for a goal like this isn't a good idea until you learn some basics. You wouldn't drive a race car if you haven't even got your license yet, without sounding condescending.

Go through and do some programming tutorials on any language (though if you want to use Unity, come familiar with C#, but it doesn't really matter at the end of the day. Learning one language usually translates over to most others with a bit of practice.)

Put making vidya on hold and try to make some cool little console programs and go from there.

C# and Unity. Python is a pretty good programming language, just not for game dev. It's also very different, from a beginner's perspective, to the curly brace languages most people are using for games. Your knowledge will most likely be more portable if you start with C#.

hard to say mate, I've been coding for years and can't make a game for shit.
I'd recommend C# since the 2 major engines (unreal and unity) use languages from the C family (switching from C# to C++ is not that hard, although it's easier to go the other way around).
With python you are struck with whatever shitty game libraries python has, or Godot since godot script is very similar to python (or so the developers say).
Sure, as a programming language it sees a lot of use specially in the scientific computing and such but if your interest is in games, I think C# will give you more bang for your buck.

I c-can't figure it out

You can now draw in the snow, its as fun as making snow angles.

>sit for hours trying to come up with a premise for the story
>can't
worst part is writing a story is something I have no trouble with

Sup /agdg/

A few days ago I saw a planet generator linked here (pic attached), talking about how it was done in "pure 2D". Turns out the source is available (github.com/ZKasica/Planet-Generator) and it's your typical 2D sprites rendered orthographically with a Z-axis for depth and sorting.

Nothing unusual or clever, unfortunately, but it's a cool demo and I thought anyone else who was following that thread might like to check out the source as well.

Learn Python and Boo

I want to ____ acute snow angle

Everybody realized he was a dumb troll user

Found the original:

>tfw posted something in agdg 3 years ago that I was proud of and got harshly criticized and ridiculed

i still think about it

did your fee fees got hurt user? Show us where.

Any kind of a to do list to help me with learning?
If you anons would be kind.
Also should i just abandon my dream of even being a game developer if it takes a century to learn?
I'm pretty much studying a dead degree right now (don't worry, it's not gender studies) and i want to pursue my dev dream, but if it's going to take eons i'm not sure if its even worth it.
I have visual studio and unity installed so i got nothing to lose but my dignity

There were a few comments:
Asking how it worked, so I thought I'd post it on the off chance anyone else was curious as well.

Where are the puzzles? This looks fucking awful.

Around about here

Better than having your demo day demo ripped apart and no one playing it right.

Grab some engine or framework and make pong, then make breakout, then make space invaders
Also the market is saturated, I doubt 1% of indie game devs can make a living out of vidyadev

Don’t worry too much, user! Veeky Forums prepares people to face the world!

>2012
>"user you need to learn color theory"
>2012 was 18 years ago
It's been 18 years and I've never so much as opened paint since that day. agdg is way too mean.

I'm looking for a clean way to store a pattern for use on a grid that changes based on direction. So here I have a direction, facing, which can be -1,0 1,0 0,1 0,-1 and I want to also select the tiles nearby so as to make a U shape around the tile that the facing is originating from. This method seems autistic, and also isn't particularly reusable if I want a different pattern.

I would say buy a book (if you prefer to read a physical medium like I do) on C# (or chosen language). If you prefer to just watch videos, just google "C# tutorial" and then just pay attention and go from part 1 and learn all the concepts. After you learn a few concepts - think of a little neat program to put those new concepts you learned into practice. Perhaps adding some numbers together, or organizing a list of words in alphabetical order, etc. There are a lot of resources out there user - but it's up to you to come up with little ideas that will help you refine those new concepts that you learn.

Before you know it, you will be good enough to start programming some simple vidya. The first few you probably won't finish, or you will get stuck on - but that is all part of the learning experience.

>tfw posted something in /agdg/ 5 years ago and mostly everyone said it was cute and made them happy
>tfw you haven't done fucking shit since
is this making it?

I just want to make a finished game.
It's been my dream since childhood and i want to finally do it.
How would making pong or break out exactly help me?

I work best with youtube videos or just straight up lists.
I hate reading prosed text books.
Any reputable tutorials that arent a waste of time (you know what i mean, i dont need 20 minutes of some jerkoff explaining hello world) and have worked for you guys?

KO mech dev, I just got done playing through your demo. It's pretty fun, I had a good time playing it. Your mecha design and aesthetics are pretty good.
I have a couple gripe with it though.
Reading what happens is kinda hard, more so in the first level where you have some red beams in the back, but also red beams in the front. I had no idea either when enemies were about to shoot.
I'm not sure if it was slowdowns or intended slow motions, but I've had some. In particular in level 2 when you have to go punch the key to open the door.
The regular punching is a little weak/almost useless and overall I found myself just using the dashing attack because I was more sure to hit. I only found out about shooting and the special attack at the end too (so a tiny prompt explaining everything would be good)
Double tapping for a faster movespeed is kind of unintuitive, Touhou does the reverse by having the character move fast, unless you press shift, I'd suggest something like that.

The second level was a lot more interesting than the first one, mainly because it had more things happening. I would suggest changing the visuals of the tiles that can let shots go through, it confused me at first.
I had a good laugh when I saw the game was just about a mecha that punches, a year ago I had an idea about a game based around a mecha that only punches, but as the game goes on, the power levels go exponentially higher, and the MC still does nothing but punch. So basically One Punch Mecha

youtube.com/watch?v=x_9lfHjYtVg

I found this guys videos helpful when I was learning how 2 program. Go to whatever video in the list you're comfortable at starting at and go from there.

>I just wanna paint a masterpiece, how would making basic sketches help me?

I know it's /agdg/ tradition to shit on every post by BokuDev, but I'm gonna be honest. I'm very jealous of the quality of those cartoon-style enemies. The game's got a fun, childish charm that I enjoy.

I'm sorry if i sounded like that, i'm jsut asking on what will this exactly teach, like what should i focus on?
Is it the ai, the logic, the simple movements.
Sorry if i sounded arrogant

>Spent 2 weeks implementing a Godot-style game object scene tree in LibGDX
>Just learned that Scene2D is a thing that already exists

>like what should i focus on?
you should focus on making something
can't learn without making
pong is probably the most basic graphical game you can make, and it will teach you about conditionals and update loops, which are the building blocks of vido gamo devo
then breakout/arkanoid adds arrays on top of that, and collision detection
then making more complex games adds the knowledge you need to make the skyrim mmo with crafting and survival you're planning

How long did it take for Bokube to gitgud

Over 10,000 hours of posting on agdg and getting shit on, you better start posting progress kiddo.

>LibGDX
OOP1 babby or pajeet? or both?

I'm using Kotlin. I had built the original prototype off LWJGL (which is essentially just a JVM JNI bridge to the native GL implementation), but LibGDX is built on top of LWJGL with even further high level abstractions you would expect from a framework.

It's a nice balance between a bare minimum framework like SDL and a full blown engine like Godot. Like SFML on the JVM.

4 years so far.

sorry

Your framerate is slow after the start too. Visually below 30fps it looks like.

SPECTACLE ROCK IS AN ENTRANCE TO DEATH

Pretty much forgot everything about calculus.

Is it important for game dev?

Thats a lot of nuts

>progressman
oh shit
blast from past

nah
algebra is gamedev

Also, for what it's worth, any criticism of the JVM as a platform for gamedev stopped being valid when Unity became the most popular engine for indies.

The JVM's performance is leaps and bounds ahead of Unity's C# runtime, mostly due to Unity still holding onto their legacy Boehm GC.

That's not the same guy. It's a recreation.

You'll want at least a solid grasp of trigonometry and linear algebra, calculus is a strong recommendation if you plan on working with any graphics programming or 3D work outside of a managed context (like an engine).

I'd rather be ridiculed than ignored.

Not extremely. And even so, you've got the whole internet as a reference book. So long as you know calculus exists, you can grab the parts you need at any time.

>I'm using Kotlin
I forgive you then. Sometimes I forget there's other langs that can use the JVM

A lot of it is, yeah. It's the study of change over time, so if your game is real time, it's mandatory. Independently inventing calculus is not too hard though.

i'll be the one who doesnt give a fuck who made the post and just say that looks pretty cool, not my type of game but still it looks nice.

>post game with name
>take off name and periodically post praise for your game
>herd mentality takes over
>people start to actually like your game
this is fucking brilliant

WHERE ARE THE PUZZLES

you're gonna make it

webm?

character is giving me runescape vibes and I'm loving it

someone uploaded a vid

I believe this would genuinely work due to the anonymous nature of the site, and you probably won't believe me, but is a real post by a person who isn't the dev. I just feel bad watching this dude come here so frequently, always posting progress, and never gets anything but shit from us.

I thought maybe they could use a positive comment for once.

What is the red bag with the plus-sign supposed to represent? Is it a racing helmet? A cape? A riding hood??

It's health meter

But what is it supposed to represent!

i guess a drop of blood

Boku has been here and in the discord for a long time. He's received more compliments, criticism, and feedback than just about anyone here. Stop being such a little drama queen.

>boku
>dude
Boku is a girl (male).

>I thought maybe they could use a positive comment for once.
It would be nice to get some more positivity in here, that's for sure. But there are reasons why some people don't like said dev or their game. You'd know this, if you were a regular.

Personally, I refrain from leaving negative comments, since they don't help anyone, but I can also understand why some longtime posters are frustrated with this thing.

If I wanted "dude nice!" comments, I would post literally anywhere else on the internet.

This. I post here because people aren't afraid of talking shit, and because no one's gonna reply if there's nothing interesting. And only that, can make me question things I haven't already.

How difficult were the talks with Nintendo to get the game onto the Switch? Are they taking all comers or do they have a review process?

What is cheaper, calculating if a point is inside a cone or a pyramid?

circles are always cheaper

>circles are always cheaper

You're not getting honest criticism here, people give you shit because they enjoy it.

Assuming the bases are parallel to something, the cone

Its more likely that your game is boring/bland.

I don't have a game, I'm here because I enjoy giving other people shit over their game.

Where's your game?

whoops wrong thread

Do you not understand the difference between a cone and a pyramid?

Doorkickers is pretty fun, never played Blood Bowl.

Do you not understand how computers work? Circles are ALWAYS more expensive than squares.

Box collision is more expensive than sphere collision.

alright. who of you did this?

store.steampowered.com/app/794920/Capture_the_monster/

how is this allowed?

Imagine being this retarded

Because they paid $100 to put it up

Reminder that the Gears of War franchise was just football player marines chainsaw lancing moleman aliens. If you can't do , then there are literally hundreds of word salad generators on the internet.

There are situations where radius based detection is less efficient than bounding box based detection, as well as the opposite you absolute dorks.

This depends on context. If you're talking about vision cones on patrols against a single adversary, you would probably choose neither. You would do better with angle checking first then raycasting cover second.

Doesn't look worse than the average shit that comes out of steam nowadays.

>his game unironically doesn't have anime tiddies in it
youtube.com/watch?v=KCOWsjx71wo

>cone
>angle from point bounded by plane
>pyramid
>4 planes or 4 tetrahedrons

cone. but pyramid can use a more generalized convex algorithm so that's probably what you want.

>William Bond
>2 hours ago
>Fuck yeah! I'm gonna be double dipping, I got dat physical version on PS4! Game is kinda garbage tho lol
Something seriously wrong with weebs.

>There are situations where radius based detection is less efficient than bounding box based detection, as well as the opposite you absolute dorks.

Yes, and I'm calling the user who said "Circles are ALWAYS more expensive" retarded.
I'm also calling you a retard. learn to read.

I give up.