/emugen/ - Emulation General

Back in the Saddle Edition

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (speccy screenshot), OS, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

READ THE WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS LIKE:
>Where do I get games
OR
>What is the best emulator for...

Check out the wiki for the emulator you're using if you run into trouble, there may be a solution there too, often including recommendations for optimal game settings.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/raw/RsZHhdwk
hyvart.com/download/project64/ci/
github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/6385
heroesoflegend.org/affiliate-projects/faxanadu/index.html
reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/7u68c5/mame_0194/dtkn8xn/?context=1
reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/7xi9kp/why_does_desume_kill_my_cpu_but_drastic_works/dua96ll/
youtube.com/watch?v=0gvofvafo9A
github.com/libretro/beetle-psx-libretro/commit/94bf8ae57396edd50d75d075c020da8c54e16301
youtube.com/watch?v=234Y76_3YPE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

SP must pay for his crimes

Try playing fighting games with this shader

pastebin.com/raw/RsZHhdwk

nice try, but street fighter 4 already uses it

Beetle PSX HW is still broken and Simias refuses to take responsibility.

Beetle PS2 when

>but it's low priority.
just lol... Why is accuracy low priority?

>Must everything have a reason?
Yes. I guess it means mudlord is still interested in N64 emulation. Just doesn't make sense why he'd bother even really looking at GLideN64's code. As the other user mentioned, it's using floating point when the real hardware is using fixed point (which is bad news). Would be nice if mudlord focused more on important stuff like LLE RDP, rather than silly HLE code.

>Not quite
How so?

>How so?
Look at the issue list of mednafen saturn and see for yourself

>I guess it means mudlord is still interested in N64 emulation

And why is that important? The cuck already lost all contact with libretro head people.

What are some good ps3 games that actually work in rpcs3? also I saw recently that jet set radio future on the xbox is playable but buggy it's definately in my top 5 favorite games so I hope it becomes 100% soon

Dragon Quest Builders

>The bridges with core people like twinaphex, radius & bparker are completely destroyed.
I'm honestly surprised he burned bridges with SP. From my POV, SP was always nice to him and tolerant, even when mudlord was misbehaving. What caused mudlord to hate SP?

>And why is that important?
Because he's capable of doing things on his own. He's more competent than "devs" like logan or bsmiles.

A few threads ago, someone posted a link to a PJ64 buildbot. Anyone have it?

hyvart.com/download/project64/ci/

>make an issue report on the Retroarch Github
>it's immediately deleted and I start receiving threatening emails calling me a lowlife, autistic, etc...

It was real in your head

Stop sending me and my family threatening emails, Daniel.

Demon's Souls works great if you have a current gen i5/i7.

github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/6385
wow

Looks like Stenzek is the only competent person left, even if he's working on near useless shit.

It seems like he just did this as an exercise to simplify other code so he can work on useful shit.

Works For Me(tm)

Like a half breed child left over from a sex tour, he refuses to take responsibility for his mistake.

If anything beetle is the half breed child with a mild case of down syndrome. That would make me the 3rd world prostitute.

SP did allow him back on #retroarch IRC

heroesoflegend.org/affiliate-projects/faxanadu/index.html

>>Created two patches; (FCEU for FCEU emulators only, NES for real hardware and accurate emulators)

what did he mean by this

FCEU has inaccurate PPU code IIRC
FCEUX allows you to switch between new and old PPU code as there was an overclocking hack which only works on old PPU and some old romhacks only worked on old PPU.

Could OC be made with new PPU?

The old overclocking method was tailor-made for the old PPU so probably not

Needless, Mesen has OC.

Prove it.

The thing that's really getting me about the whole Billy Mitchell controversy is how tf is it 2018 and MAME still doesn't emulate Donkey Kong accurately enough to do the transition right?

Just use the non-meme core like everyone else, problem solved. There are zero features unique to the HW core that anyone should ever want to use.

Too busy sucking furry little foxdicks and splitting their cocks.

I haven't looked closely at the issue but isn't simply the CRT scanning direction that creates the difference?

Given that the game is in portrait mode I assume that they used a CRT sideways, therefore scanning orthogonal (why bother making an expensive custom CRT when you could just put a standard one sideways?)

If that's the case I expect that you could achieve the same result if you emulated the game on a sideways CRT

No, the camera has nothing to do with it, the system actually outputs those split frames. And Mitchell did run it on MAME with a sideways CRT. MAME actually does actually have similar split frames now, but they aren't even close to matching up with real hardware.

I'm not talking about the camera, I'm talking about the CRT. If the game draws its asset mid-frame and the screen scans sideways you'll have something looking like that.

If that's the case then MAME should emulate that with or without a CRT

If you go down that rabbit hole where do you stop? You should have an accurate CRT shader as well. You should also model the sound of the cabinet to replicate it.

If you're looking to have such an accurate experience it might make more sense to build a cabinet with a CRT and hook MAME up to it.

I'm pretty certain that these scanline issues are imperceptible with the human eye, although I could be wrong.

I've always wondered how accurate it is on a lot of old games like Asteroids since shit like the sound and video hardware are totally analog.

Properly emulating video timings is pretty basic, and you wouldn't notice if you weren't looking for it, but they aren't at all imperceptible.

Well Asteroids' CRT is just as analog as any other CRT, so I don't see why that specifically should be a big deal.

Yeah you're right, those timings ought to be accurate. I got confused thinking about it.

>so I don't see why that specifically should be a big deal.
Not sure, it just seems like the accuracy for the lines on the ship are crazy good even though the DVG should be at a resolution of 1024x1024.

>people still download 3ds games from a website instead of directly from nintendo

L O L

Are there any single board computers capable of running emulated PS2 games competently? And if not, anyone know what the most cost-effective single board capable of running PS1 and N64 emulators would be?

ks elitist!!!

No, XU4 w/ Lakka.

mamehaze doesn't even believe in opensourcing anymore (unless it's mame) and sucks up to closed source emus as long as the dev gives breadcrumbs back to mame.

yet this same guy keeps making nonsense about how RA is bad, how it's poisonous, blabla. seems pretty much like projection.

not to mention how they still won't work on model 2 despite having elsemis's sourcecode because 'something something sega might own the code now', which sounds like a lame and dumb excuse for not really being able to do this 'LLE emulation' properly, since they keep saying that is the reason why they won't use the model 2 code as-is.

pretty much a poisonous project at this point that seems to appear to want to hold the progress of emulation back as long as it fits their agenda.

>there are normies on /emugen/ that don't hoard archival quality ROMs

L O L

reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/7u68c5/mame_0194/dtkn8xn/?context=1

another mame haze classic -

reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/7xi9kp/why_does_desume_kill_my_cpu_but_drastic_works/dua96ll/

desmume author is all innocent, the ds emulation scene is just toxic, and little haze would have done the same if it were him.

little haze seems to want to hold back progress on everything, from DS emulation to model 2 to dreamcast emulation.

>forgot my pic

F U C K

Even if the devs weren't dirtbags, and there was no drama surrounding it at all, the user experience with MAME renders it completely unusable for most people.

Pi3 runs psx just fine

>renaming your 3dsiso files

lol

Muddy for SP is just a tool - useful to harass byuu. They also share some mental disorders, so SP will always forgive him those recurring meltdowns.
Bparker doesn't like mudlord, so no discord.

Is there benefit to actually getting the "right" files?

OC is a fun, essential, but ultimately tricky option. It's less issue for 2D games since they ran at 60fps, and OC usually just means slowdown removal. With 3D games, many ran at 20-30fps, meaning that the game's engine may get wonky if you force it to run at 60fps. It may cause physics issues, or go too fast. Or animations may be only 30fps even if you run it at 60fps. RE4 has that issue for some reloading animations.

Still, emulators should have them just because for the games it does work for it's hella neat.

MAME is a dead, pretty worthless project now. It's extremely important for the history of emulation, and for the old Arcade systems it emulates. But it has no future.

I'm under the impression that making OC at all is much less of a pain in some emulators and specifically some platforms compared to others.
NES , SNES and GEN all have roundabout ways of achieveing it without breaking stuff whereas for example PCSXR is pretty much just about changing one number in the source

Has anyone tried Doom SNES with both CPU and SFX OC?

youtube.com/watch?v=0gvofvafo9A

OC seems to speed up the monsters, but that doesnt' make the game much harder.

Dosbox being able to emulate Pentium II PC games WHEN?

>not using 86Box

>not using 69Box

>86box
who made that?

SP pushed a fix for the beetle HW crash:

github.com/libretro/beetle-psx-libretro/commit/94bf8ae57396edd50d75d075c020da8c54e16301

>sp accidentally toggles something
>weeks later user blames simias for a completely unrelated change
lol

youtube.com/watch?v=234Y76_3YPE

MAME's innaccuracies led to Billy Mitchell being caught cheating. What would happen if MAME was hyper-accurate?

MAME being accurate is a big fat meme.

It has never been accurate for anything beyond some obscure 8bit systems.

Officially, MAME aims for in the end to be hyper-accurate. Of course, with the amount of systems they run, that's practically impossible for every system.

Here's an old gamedev talking about inaccuracies in MAME and how he tries to give them input on it. Taken from The Secret History of Japanese game developers Vol. 1.

Why is mame intermittently shilled here as the most accurate psx or genesis emulator?

Could be just people falling for the sales pitch. MAME devs hype up that their end-goal is super accuracy, and that their methods will produce that. However, the end product might be anything. You'd have to run tests for each system and give results for that.

Ok /emugen/ I know this is a weird question, but maybe slightly related.

Would you choose to plug a small CRT TV to your PC and emulate shit using it as a monitor, or instead just use a normal LCD monitor with some shader and black bars?

Unless your "normal lcd monitor" is like a 4K OLED/QLED/IPS panel, crt all the way.

:y secondary monitor is a 16:10 old glossy TN 1680x1050 piece of trash. The only saving grace is that black frame insertion kinda works because it's some early 120hz LCD, as long as I'm alright with a pretty dark picture.

SP is just a code monkey. He couldn't do anything seriously complex like make a core, or port PCSX2. He needs to rely on others to do the heavy lifting.

Post your work.

GPD Win can run some PCSX2. GPD Win2 should be able to run more, when that comes out.
Even though they're handhelds, they're still technically single board computers. Probably out of your price range though.

I wonder why is that RA hasn't been forked.
The so called 'team' is as dysfunctional as teams can be.

What purpose would that archive?

>Well Asteroids' CRT is just as analog as any other CRT, so I don't see why that specifically should be a big deal.
Pretty sure the original asteroids was vector rendered as lines though, rather than to a grid of pixels.

How do I get true fullscreen in Xebra?

instead of black frame insertion, just set vsync interval to 2. viola, no darkness

cause the people who want to fork it don't know C, and don't want to support a dozen or more platforms

VoilĂ . "viola" means "raped".

Just a complete rewrite can save RA

and yet no one else can compete
hmm. really activates my almonds

Most coders are so dumbed down that C code might as well be to assembly to them.

If it isn't class-based or features some webdev malarky, they are like fishes out of water.

>Most coders are so dumbed down that C code might as well be to assembly to them.
So true. It's sickening.

wahlah

it isn't at all and you're making shit up

Is the Donkey Kong emulated in DK64 accurate?

Check the archives.

how about you post proof?

>nintendo in charge of emulation

>help person on r/emulation
>get misgendered
That community is soo effing toxic.

Because only autistics care about retroshit

If you really wanted to help users you'd remove options from emulators.

my dad works for mednafen and he says soon

Yeah dude, emulation community is pretty fucked up

Which n64 emulator is best in current year?