/domg/ - Dominions General

Stygian Paths Edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.
The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 3000 units, 900 spells and 400 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.
It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.
Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/wjbSA98Y

>Drawfaggotry
dominionsdraws.imgur.com/

>DOMINIONS 5 IS OUT.

>Where do I get it?
Currently only available on Steam.
store.steampowered.com/app/722060/Dominions_5__Warriors_of_the_Faith/

>Manual
illwinter.com/dom5/dom5manual.pdf
illwinter.com/dom5/dom5tables.pdf

>Mod inspector
larzm42.github.io/dom5inspector/

>Multiplayer guide
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1212948582

>Debug mod
dropbox.com/s/oo492x2cs8vag34/debug509.zip?dl=0

>How do I change the fonts?
Replace guifont.ttf, guifont_fancy.ttf and guifont_texty.ttf in the game's 'data' folder (C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Dominions5\data usually).

>Is there an easier way to play multiplayer?
rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/dominions-4-pbem-manager-new-stuff.104015/
Works for Dominions 5 just as well.

>Completed games
Submit them here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeuclmaCiRo8vcTztsKjPJxnBgRDE-E1uNvE5j0x5wDZMMhRA/viewform
Results:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OxILAa3Y_O7Vk2NFhKAAQfStHqh1WJXMkGCim9sQ_ns/edit#gid=1292233344

>OP pastebin
Just copypaste it and link the previous thread below.
pastebin.com/RbFWcFcU

>Previous Pantokrator:

Research speed very easy is the best way to play this game.

If I'm fighting undead with astral mages, should I just spam Solar Rays or do Stellar Cascades have an effect ? I thought undead didn't have fatigue from combat. What about astral geyser?
Thanks.

can someone post the gif of the 1 pd archer killing commander and forcing rout?

A normal PBEM with 2-3 slots for modnations. Extra fun + unlikely any need to combine the mods. Y/n?

can I play skaven?

Only if Sombre skaven. Not that bullshit from steam.

darn

Sounds great

Thoughts on this pretender for Helheim? The aim is for tons of easy early expansion with this and Helhirdings, then I don't know what for lategame. Should I drop into drain to get some growth?

EA has enough magic weapons lying around that I wouldn't bother with Stygian Flesh. Blood surge won't activate until later attacks so it goes poorly with your valkyrie's light lances.

Does anyone want to take the spot of either :

Hinnom

OR

Mictlan

In the 1WorldGame game.

I am the idiot that sent in two pretenders by accident.

I would but I'm already in that game

Fugg. Please someone save me.

I don't want to fuck up someone elses start by having an AI off the bat.

Setting Mictlan AI probably wouldn't be the worst thing, I think that start is pretty far out of the way. AI Hinnom might upset the balance of power in the Mediterranean though because Arco or Therodos or somebody will just eat it.

Literally just unstart jesus

Do you mean magic weapon indies or just other player armies? I've been looking at changing out the death bless anyway as invuln 10 does nothing for the pretender itself. Still with this bless I've been able to consistently gain 15 provinces and a fort by year 1 as is the normal par. Do you think going for a red dragon + awe might be a better idea? I will probably miss having the forge bonus on the mastersmith though.

*blocks your expansion army*

>Helheim
>late game
Has helheim ever even won before?

Also your pretender design is shit.
1. fighting bless on a nation with cap-only sacreds
2. 0growth. This works as a double punishment if you don't know Helheim's little secret weapon.
3. 2 Misfortune will fuck you up bro. So many bad events are unlocked with 2Mis, but hey you do you.
4. Shit awake expander. Expensive and dies to cavs. Better expanders/pretenders everywhere else.

Overall
singleplayer/10

I bet you just experimented in SP only for expansion right? Never went past year2/3? How were those 5 sacred fighters/month recruitment holding up?

If you want to go for an awake expander, this looks good alright, but a Quickness Dragon might still be better. Right now you're stuck between having good scales for late game, and a strong rush. Your other option would be to take +Def and Blood Surge on an Imprisoned Oracle and have actually good scales. That should let you wreck indies in expansion and still be viable late game.

>Has helheim ever even won before?
Every nation won at least a few games in Dom4, I don't think they don't have any wins in 5 yet though.

>1. fighting bless on a nation with cap-only sacreds
White Centaurs and Vanheres say hi. Most decent sacreds are worth taking some imprisoned minor blesses for, too.

>Should I drop into drain to get some growth?
Yes, and/or drop some order for it.

Dropping a point of dominion will also give you one more scale (assuming you didn't use the last 20 points for a single path in something important).

The advantage of an awake expander is getting more provinces, so with it you should be aiming for a lot better than normal.

I wouldn't accept less than 20 provinces if I was going to take an awake.

>1. fighting bless on a nation with cap-only sacreds
I'm not sure if I understand your objection, but there's nothing wrong with taking a bless which is built for cap-only sacred troops.

This particular nation might be better off with something more focused on the commanders, however.

>This works as a double punishment if you don't know Helheim's little secret weapon

Well? Are you going to share this secret or just be smug and annoying?

There's literally nothing wrong with blessing cap-only sacreds. Sure they're not worth basing your entire strategy on, but it makes expansion much more reliable and it also helps their commanders be better thugs.

Helheim has pretty great lategame, though, in that they have a ton of options that don't really come up until you have a wide array of research. Not knowing if any province that you want to hit has a glamoured Winds of Death caster in it is a really strong deterrent, having magic phase thugs that can easily be geared with your wide path spread makes SCing against helheim difficult, and having elite sacreds that don't die if they don't meet things capable of killing them makes raiding and retaking provinces that they've taken off of you difficult.

Having a wide toolkit is much harder to use than having just a really strong hammer, though, especially since the toolkit takes a while to fill.

If anything, I'd say that Helheim is vulnerable to timings, basically. In the early game, someone with just a better sacred and a bigger bless can beat you. In the midgame, someone with an obvious, razor-focused goal might throw the right magic at you that you need more time to answer. In the later game, you might have gone for the wrong research path and not have opened up the answer to the strong magic that another nation is throwing at you.

Basically, I think Helheim is pretty good, but harder to use than just generically strong nations like Mictlan, and because it's not the BEST at any particular phase in the game, it's hard to just outline how to play it and produce a formula for winning as you can with Mictlan or Vanheim or even Fomoria.

Like 26hrs until FewGoodMen starts hosting again. I wonder if Man is coming back or if his holiday was just an excuse to drop the game entirely.

Actually playing dominions after watching high-level LP's for over a year is the most frustrating experience. It's like I know what's good to do and what reasonable goals are, but I don't know how to actually do them. Lots and lots of menu-clicking. I've also fucked up my expansion by accidentally stealth-moving instead of attack-moving my expansion parties twice, RIP.

>high-level LP's
Does this even exist?

Solar rays and Banishment is the best. Cascades are almost useless, unless your mages gonna miraculously trap the undead in the castle gates or something. This spell effective only against living targets without heavy armor. Astral geyser is a bad spell agaist undead too, because mindless are inaffected by Horror Mark and the damage is very small.

I'd say that Nuclearmonkee is, at least.

Mate you are a flippin jackass

So I've finally been knocked out of Dominos.
Domkilled while sitting in my cap no less.
It didn't matter though, Ulm had a far superior force to me and could of easily knocked me out many turns ago. I just got used to my short and sweet turns I forgot to pay attention to my dominion.

Anyway gg Dominos. I didn't really get much done this game. I spent most of it sandwiched between the larger Ulm and Ermor. My expansion phase was pretty bad and I never felt I got into a position where I could really fight any of my neighbours directly.
My only real regret was feeding Ermor a bunch of death gems to draw Ulm/Agartha's attention away from me, around when Burden of Time came up. Which worked for a while and bought me a lot of time and money. Ulm was pressuring my borders pretty hard around then I think and I couldn't fight him off singlehandedly so I felt diverting his attention was my best bet. Unfortunately Ermor turned out to be worse at this game than me and threw everything away on Machakas capital and was then routinely thrashed by Agartha and Ulm.

I wish Agartha was a better admin then maybe the rest of the 2nd place nations might have turned on Ulm instead of him earlier. IMO Ulm was always the bigger threat, but I understand why everybody ganged up on Agartha instead.

Respect to Asphodel and Machaka, we hung in there as long as we could boys.
Also sorry Kangz for financing the Ermor fail machine. I probably would of been knocked out sooner if I hadn't. Those cap battles were pretty hilarious though
GG all. Here lies C'tis - He was mediocre at best.

Rip in peace lizard bois.

Also GG Ulm.
I was pretty sure early on you were going to be the winner. My politics were too inept to turn enough people against you, or everybody else felt they always had too many problems elsewhere.
I got outplayed, but I outplayed myself plenty on top of that.
Out of interest did anybody else share my opinion or was everybody more worried about Agartha and early in the game Ermor?

I saw Ulm as the very big first potential danger. He was expanding well and had a very aggressive attitude, but an alliance calmed things down and let me focus on fixing my horribly crippled expansion (I REALLY fucked it up. Twice. Only thanks to Asphodel being a good nation did I manage to recover a little and survive into late game).

Agartha became a very strong force soon, too, specially after Ermor proved to be a worse player than the AI. Ulm told me he´d attack me soon, and we surprise-attacked each other right on the next turn.

Agartha and Ulm were also allied by this point, and the both of them were eating Ermor like nothing. It looked to me like a Nazi Germany - Soviet Union type of alliance, and I suspected Ulm was hoping to reach a more advantageous position before backstabbing Agartha.

However, Agartha was doing a great job conquering me after another fuck up from my side. Something along the lines of forgetting to move the mages with the army.

Agartha grew up very damn fast eating my land and the land that Machaka, for some reason I still can´t understand, still hadn´t taken at all. I really don´t get Machaka´s expansion (or rather, the lack thereof), but that´s a different matter. Thing is, Agartha became HUGE.

Then I got foul vapors and made him lose a few armies, enough to stall the invasion, and then I got Ulm to finally get his ass up and attack his back.

Up until this point, I think Agartha was a bigger threat. From here on it was very clear that Ulm would become a superpower, but fuck shitadmins. Agartha had to go down.

I think this game would have been GREAT if Ermor didn´t just AI (fucker still has thousands of skeletons just sitting around) and R´lyeh wasn´t Ulm´s pet. With their help we would have been able to tank Ulm - or at least to give him a very fair fight.

I'm aware.

What do you want to do about it?

EA Pangea expands with Revelers, right?

>building troops which increase unrest in your capital
>doing this during expansion when the gold from your capital is most vital
I very much doubt this is optimal.

Try centaurs instead if you're not going for a bless.

You might be right, yeah - they're real beefy, though.

My gamble on Ermor was my biggest mistake but at that time Machaka looked absolutely done for and it looked like Ermor would clean it up easily and snowball to be able to compete with Ulm and Agartha and leave me alone.
If he hadn't left from embarrassment the late game would have been interesting. I think Ulm would still have the upper edge though.
I'm just happy i wasn't quite the most irrelevant nation. Rl'yeh gets that award for sure. Oh yeah and remember Ys?

I have the strangest desire to write erotic fiction set in the Dominions universe. What do you think is the obvious hot-spots for writing like that?

Ichtyids.

Arco priestess patrols out forty revellers led by a dryad.

Vore

Pangaea. Beast men and women of all kinds with sexual under and overtones everywhere.

Pan converting pure human girls into raving nymphos with his "flute"

Apkallu going native.

Agents sent into other nations to deflower their blood slaves.

With all other men having gone to war, a youngster unfit to fight saving the female population of his village from blood hunters, including his past childhood sweetheart

Reveller and Satyr Sneak reduction to blood-slave gain for provinces they're in when?

Unrest reduces blood hunting success chance so, as you can see, this is already modeled in the game.

hot

Lone militiaman stationed to guard a province comes face to face with a Mother of Monsters/Titan of Love/Asynja/whatever that has come to conquer it.

Admin of 1WorldGame if you read this let me know what you want me to do about accidentally sending in my two pretenders with the same name.

He is average at best.
>stealth moving instead of attacking.
At least every good player has done that once before. You're fine. Just never make the same mistake again.

Tuatha Sorceress /ss/

Alternatively, combine these

1. Conquerors raping conquered without consent.
2. Conquerors having consensual sex with conquered.
3.Conquered unwillingly (to improve status,etc) or willingly giving themselves to conquerors.

I like the power dynamics a lot. Put in some loli/shota and I'm in.

We've all been there.

Naginis.

Tuatha Sorceress straight hoburg

Any new games starting up? I would make one myself, but I've been a pretty horrible admin in my last few.

If I equip an eye item on a unit that has no eyes to begin with, does it still work?

here's a couple ideas:

>succubus "persuades" a very young acolyte to abandon his faith
>two SCs accidentally destroy an entire village due to their passionate lovemaking
>female seductress uses unconventional methods to instill loyalty in her troops/bodyguards
>monster girl steals a crippled troop's seed before eating him
>failed seduction attempt turns into assassination in the middle of intercourse (just before climax)
>blood slaves taking each other's virginity to avoid sacrifice
>insane pantokrator creates large-scale sex games for his/her entertainment
>pantokrator has incestual relationship with his/her disciples

Since Xibalba won a game for once. Chicha beer to celebrate!

>Dryad seduces Niefel Jarl

noice

What menu clicking is taking you a long time? There are a ton of shortcuts and hotkeys.

I play dominions using an art tablet and stylus instead of a mouse and use no hotkeys.

My man!

Why?

I'm an artist. A performance artist.

Please draw us some maps

No.

No, you're actually just a fag.

You nigger you better put out. There are so many things I want now.

With dom5, wasn't there some tool that let you move turn by turn and see what people did in what order once a game is over?

h

I learned something innovative today - Crossbows never run out of ammunition.

My Pretender was paralyzed for 26 turns about halfway through the fight, and these Wardens, Defenders, and Crossbowmen happily shot him the entire time (after expending about 10 ammo before he even got this close).

Have fun with that info.

that just hides the menu on the main overlay screen

RIP everyone.

I always knew my "innovative" strategy would fail the second someone got a counter to arrows. I just expected it would be something like Storm or Arrow Fend, not a bigass lion with an Amulet of Missile Protection. Though at least I gave your guy a new affliction.

>taking awake expander as Abysia
>dying to Wardens

Here's a fun fact to learn: The Mermecolion starves to death.
>The ant-lion perished because it had no food. It had the fore-part of a lion and the hinder parts of an ant. Its father eats flesh, but its mother grain. If then they engender the ant-lion, they engender a thing of two natures, such that it cannot eat flash because of the nature of its mother, nor grains because of the nature of its father. It perishes, therefore, because it has no nutriment. So is it every double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

Everything, honestly. I've started using F5 for research, gotten used to T for tactics and the really basic stuff like that - but I frequently have to re-do troop formations and things like that, due to misclicks and not knowing the easiest ways to sort through troops.

I've taken down all your ideas! I'll churn over them for a while, and hopefully produce something in a while. Thank you all a lot, lovely anons!

>vore
>giantess vore
>monstergirl vore
Are you guys actually into vore or am I getting memed?

test

I wouldn't be surprised at all if some /domg/ faggot actually had such shit taste. I know there's at least one unironic horsefucker in here as well.

lucid's bretty gud

As long as it's a hot (monster)girl, yeah.

U wot m8?

I won't dispute that as I'm not good enough to judge - but I've watched a lot of videos and read a lot of AARs; could you give any examples of someone you consider comparatively 'good' to NM's 'average at best'?

^:)

nick, malakal, sum1, sy

Yeah at the top there is a button that says View History.

...I should add that I'd like to know so I could watch/read em'. Only Sy does content out of those, right?

He did, but I don't think he's done anything in a while