/arena/ - Arena FPS General

Just Woke Up and /arena/ is Undead edition

A place to discuss all of your favorite old-school and modern arena shooters such as Quake Live, Quake Champions, Unreal Tournament, Reflex, etc.

Q:C News: in next patch: various weapon/champion rebalance (rumors for same base speed and hard cap speed for every champ, also introducing various soft cap accelerations), 2v2 and Instagib. Anarki is crying in the corner like a little bitch.
Current patch notes here: bethesda.net/community/topic/186034/patch-notes-early-access-update-25-01-18

Dusk News: The first ever DUSKWorld 1v1 Tournament is happening on Friday, February 23rd at 4pm Central time (10pm GMT). Game is still in beta, and devs want it to be low key for now. Bugfixes and third person flip animations this week.

>Tutorials
youtu.be/SSNNhUAVRuA
youtu.be/gpir6ZZKmcM
youtu.be/SlCRfTmBSGs
youtube.com/watch?v=pLmuRRm1Bag&list=PLxP7tvMqaXzDjw7OYYIEbplCdZOaHLFPg
youtu.be/f8CP1oSy_-o
youtube.com/watch?v=QRe3g65S4Zs&list=PLgbx1wWCtM2DYy26yCLbtY6A0XRiSEM3u&index=1
youtu.be/n2tdDZWSGy4
youtu.be/dkED2PSrl1c

>Q:C custom weapon skin showcase, complete with dual wield:
my.mixtape.moe/qebphk.webm

>List of /arena/ fags willing to play Q:C
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w_r9pS_mV3vAZXwJmb5gM5LB2km77pkAx9s0aGFDxR0/

Sad carcass of your incompetence:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q7jSgIQvVS0
youtube.com/watch?v=4jvT5yeC0Zs
gog.com/game/unreal_tournament_goty
gog.com/game/unreal_tournament_2004_ece
gog.com/connect
youtube.com
vocaroo.com/i/s0UM3Qt9ut0p
youtu.be/ZuC0XP4m_SY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Maybe DUSKWorld won't be a savior of aFPS genre but I decided to include some news of it because it's in active development.

2nd post for best Quake girl.

HUH

this can't be habbening

Tim, we demand info about HUNTER

bringin OC so /arena/ will survive another day

>marmadukesalaryman brings up his irrelevant self again
>thread dies out of disgust
When is he going to kill himself

WHEN YOU CANT FIND A GAME OF QC AT 3 FUCKING AM

how do you join the quake sheets page?

HUH

should i bother with duel at all if i cant be arsed to time items

Reminder to mute tranny trash

I want hunter to reverse mating press me. Though if i had ranger or sarges body i could press her.

guess thats a no then

Well, learning timing partly helps you develop your skills in other areas like positional awareness and predictive aiming. It spills over into other game modes as well.

yall ever play this?

I want but pic related.
There is President's Day (or whatever, I'm not in USA) and The New Blood is doing giveaways of their games (I hope for a free copy). I'm not trying to shill much so the rest info you must get on your own.

youtube.com/watch?v=Q7jSgIQvVS0

nigger just download it

uh... just like that?

ok niggerlits, if i were to suggest /ARENA/ survival start talking shit about old UT
how to DL UT 2004, Quake 2 and 3 mods and more since this general is HALF NUKED
>youtube.com/watch?v=4jvT5yeC0Zs

buy them you poorfag

yeah this general needs to die and you fags fuck back to /v/

thanks user

Sp is good and mp has potential but it's very buggy and laggy atm

gog.com/game/unreal_tournament_goty
gog.com/game/unreal_tournament_2004_ece

There is a discount for Unreal games on GOG's chink new years sale. You can also redeem them on GOG if you already have those games on Steam. No idea how these prices are compared to used or brand new licenses from ebay/amazon.

gog.com/connect

>lvl52
>only now unlocked my first full page of runes
Fuck this unlocking systems and rewards are mostly just shit

>KKK_Member_finds_God_and_repents_for_his_deeds_with_suicide.gif

Well at least their team has one hugely incompetent retard. :)

Bearer player is the bait for the other team

I've got a P3/VooDoo3 Win98 PC I've been playing games on recently. Was thinking of tossing Quake 3 on it, but anyone know if ancient clients still have any servers for them?

HUH?

Specs please. I think you can run a more current client if you use Windows 2000 or XP, so it could still be useable.

Reminder

>6k in Dota 2
>1900 in QC
>best /arena/ player

Get good, kids.

P3 700Mhz
Voodoo3 3000D 16MB
512MB PC100 ram
CT2710 Soundblaster 16 ISA-PNP

Totally could do 2000/XP on it, but currently keeping it as a Win9x machine for 90s DOS up to ~2001 Windows gaming. Was just downloading a ton of ISOs last night and thought maybe I'd do up some Quake 3 again. If a more modern client is needed anymore I'll just do it on my main desktop.

>MeremSolomon posts again
I WON'T LET IT DIE AGAIN

This garbage general dies on daily basis.

>level 52
>not a single rune page completed

I think christmas drops murdered me

Unreal tournament kicks ass, there is nothing like it

yea dont be a cunt eh

HUH

crouchhop into someone's face with SNG like a cunt it makes you pro

1v1 in Bomberman, fag

so when this game eventually launches and goes free2play, do new players only start with ranger or do they get access to all champs?

>brags about his SR
>it's lower than acrylicass' SR

what happened to her/him anyway? has not streamed in a long time

Someone pointed out to him that he's trans and not real woman.
There was some local news about guy around 30 taking some depressions pills and alcohol and then committing suicide.
I honestly think it was for the best, he was just dirtying the face of quake with his streaming.

She(he) cant play QC since the last update

start with ranger, rent or unbox everything else

telefrag is going to stay, including ranger orb. maybe future netcode changes will make it harder to hit. if not, they should consider a larger firing delay, so that using it in anything less than pointblank there's reasonable amount of time to react and avoid telefrag

or just fucking remove the damage and scrubslayer from the orb. Teleport is good enough, if they want they can buff it. Having instakill ability in quake is not acceptable.
Teleporter exit frags are fine.

I feel like Lockbox was made in isolation away from the rest of the game, ie. the map design shows little to no reflection of champion movement and abilities.

shub slayer is never going away because dire orb is based off of... the dire orb that slayed shub

To kill niggera you had to walk trough static teleporter entrance. Creating teleporter entrance where ever doesn't make any fucking sense.

>Stream QL
>List it as QC for viewers

lol more like quake dead amirite ha

>youtube.com
/watch?v=rgHSO72gFeo

we've come so far from these days

yeah and the game after half year is still unplayable piece of shit. Seems time doesn't fix anything when nu-id is developing.

thank shub that's over with

what was your latest QC reeee about

feels like different people entirely made it. the map is totally crap and the game would probably benefit from it being removed, though i guess there are not that many maps. they need more maps

>play duel against retard who couldn't time item and took the most retarded fights
>I fail to hit easy rockets and he had 60% rail
fuck this fucking game

>reeee I got outaimed although I timed items
you deserved your loss, this ain't an RTS it's an FPS

/arena/ as a lot of QC talk, but where are the other AFPS's? Lets talk about Duke 3D.

>tfw the map gets filled with laser mines

vocaroo.com/i/s0UM3Qt9ut0p

I remember having a ton of fun with the shrink ray and freeze canon in Dukematch, especially when you can hear the other person scream in fear.

?
Both better than you, bronze shitter.

Seems you took more retarded fights than he did if you lost them
By definition he took more fights he could win, if he won

does anyone have that meme that says 'can we listen to anything other than trent reznor?'

>aimlet sucks at FPS game and thinks he's relevant with his +30 addition

my sides

>get shrunk
>fucker runs to step on me
>mfw steroids and shotgun to the face

the fucking patch better arrive on 22nd

we starting to get transcendental plays at the upper levels
rocketjumps and mannys.

why did they make one of the rune circles thanks-doc colored

Has /arena/ stopped trying to think up of ebin miracle features that could "save" QC and faced the fact that afps are niche by nature by now?
CTF won't save QC
Bots won't save QC
f2p won't save QC
I want these features too, but it's not their lack that keeps people away. It's the fact that the average person doesn't want to spend their gaming time getting stomped in one of the most esoteric genres of vidya there are. afps are kinda like Virtua Fighter, it's an ongoing series that it's own thing and which you need to take 1-2 years of your vidya life just to "get in" as it were
QC has technical failings and thinks that are lacking, but don't fool yourselves

You're wrong, and I can explain why.
You say the genre is esoteric, but by the same logic battle royale was esoteric until just recently. At one point in time, the moba was an esoteric spinoff from RTS.

What determines if a game is going to be popular has little to do with the genre of the game, and everything to do with the experience the player has while playing, the entry barrier to playing, and the game's exposure.

It's just those three factors. Now we know that the experience for playing quake can be very good. If QC is there at that level or not I will concede as debatable, but we can agree that there is no reason that QC can't reach that level. We all understand how exposure works.
Now QC has a serious barrier entry right now; all aFPS do. There's a disconnect between the "core" aFPS players and the real experience of a first timer in the arena. This disconnect is so huge I believe even the developers don't realize the actual gulf that exists. Breaking down this entry barrier entirely, with the capstone piece being to make the game free to play, will be the ticket to success, and the fact that the game is in the aFPS genre won't matter anymore.

youtu.be/ZuC0XP4m_SY

At least QC wasn't literally orphaned by its devs

get the fuck out with that garbage. not an objective test. if you thought this was entertaining, let me guess, you enjoy shitting your pants too?

Well, if you were going to try and revive the APFS genre, what kind of game would you make? What features would it have?

A game better than I could ever make and with all the requisite features already exists: QL. And it's pretty dead
Literally the only thing lacking from QL is a graphical revamp, and I doubt that would revitalize its playerbase

QC is pretty good if you subtract the russian coding issues and reached the end of syncerror's slow march of progression.

But what it really needs is massive noob hand-holding, noob-hugging with noob safespaces and participation awards by the time the game drops down as free to play.

>You say the genre is esoteric, but by the same logic battle royale was esoteric until just recently.
>What determines if a game is going to be popular has little to do with the genre of the game, and everything to do with the experience the player has while playing, the entry barrier to playing
Yes, and BR is designed to be highly luck-based or at least chaotic, and even a lesser player can, if not win, at least frequently get kills on stronger players. Whereas even an AFPS's most chaotic mode (FFA/DM) is highly "dominable", with shitters bottom-fragging for several matches in a row and Quakedads stomping at will (just watch any top player's stream in FFA, everyone else's assholes clench and they start whining in chat as soon as they join)
I don't think there many "micromoments" of success in AFPS, whereas in Battle Royale they happen as if by design. AFPS are kinda like a fistfight. You don't feel good you kinda got a punch in if you got knocked the fuck out and left the fight fucked up and bleeding from your nose

CA, 2v2 ranked with big playerbase and good matchmaking, CTF, etc. You'll already find the dominating quakedads prefer to play DM where they aren't attached to a team, where the noobs gravitate towards TDM.

There needs to be care though because "micromoments of success" was stretched so far in overwatch that it's the core reason why the game is literal AIDS while it pretends to be a competitive FPS. There are good and bad ways to promote the noobs. the easiest way is to separate them from the quakedads- the whole idea of a noob safespace

At the same time, Quakedads were once noobs and they got to their skill level without any hold-handing. I can't help but feel excessive hand-holding is pandering to people lacking the essential qualities of perseverance and good sportsmanship that would make them good members of the community to begin with

it's not the same. it would have been better if the quakedads had hand-holding, but they grew in a generation of gaming that was
a- small and niche (for a reason)
b- there was zero examples of hand-holding in gaming elsewhere, it was simply amazing that they were fragging people over the internet in the first place

you

time to let it die

Never. Press on to the bitter end.

HUH

>20 most damage rune
>finish ~5 games with the most damage
>only 1 rune counted
>apparently ranger can deal 8k damage with his fucking orb
>that damage won't be registered in the final score because slav coding
>this single telefrag damage can easily overwrite all your honest damage during the game

Fucking hell man. Fucking shit fuck.

why would she remove all her hair?

I'm fairly sure there are other issues with that award
Like the rune about getting "most accurate" that would only trigger if you were the least accurate
Cheeki breeki coding, not even once

sqzthot just confirmed she's a baneposter /ourslut/

huh

you're dumb, baneposting blew up and infected real life global

So what champs are gonna get added after athena, strogg and deathknight? Im hoping for hunter and klesk.

what

I have to have asmr playing in the background to stay focused and calm enough to play. How fucked am I?