Historical photos thread!

Historical photos thread!

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Raate_Road
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>When I think of religion at all, I feel as if I would like to found an order for those who cannot believe: the Confraternity of the Faithless, one might call it, where on an altar, on which no taper burned, a priest, in whose heart peace had no dwelling, might celebrate with unblessed bread and a chalice empty of wine. Everything to be true must become a religion. And agnosticism should have its ritual no less than faith.

-Oscar Wilde; De profundis

Yo for real tho Oscar could suck dick like no other

SOME FOLKS ARE BORN

I AIN'T NO SENATOR'S SON

Nannies, SoHo, NYC, 1982

Studio 54, NYC, 1981

Seeing this image as as a child is what actually sparked my interest in WWI.

Marines transport their seriously wounded atop a US army tank through the streets of Hue toward a helicopter evacuation point on 17 February 1968. Tanks were the only vehicles able to travel the streets because of rubble from buildings destroyed during the still-ongoing Tet offensive.

>German """engineering"""

>Tfw you will never ride a Panzeresel mk IV

>british uniforms look even more peasantlike than russian ones
how?

Bamp

Is that the IJA? Cool photo

I always forget the name of the Kaiser in this pic

Looks like chinese or allied forces, the uniform and gun do not match jap standards

The gun is Japanese but the soldiers are Chinese.

Middle is Hindenburg, and I think the right is Papen, but I'm not sure

Wait, nvm I'm retarded, it's Goering

That's President Hindenburg...

hmm....

"Pals"

doge

The first photograph of people enjoying alchohol

Canadian troops hand out their chocolate rations to Dutch locals

Dutch girls write warm slogans and regards on the hull of a Polish Sherman tank after the 1st Polish Armored liberation of Breda

Polish troops march after the liberation of Breda by the 1st Polish Armored Division

Lieutenant Colonel David Currie in his Humber Armoured Recconnaissance Car during the liberation of the Netherlands

Horses need to make a comeback.

Dutch troops in exile return to their homeland

Polish motorcyclist swarmed by Dutch locals

Dutch collaborator is captured by Dutch resistance fighters after the liberation of Breda

last of my small Netherlands liberation dump

Dutch resistance fighters celebrate after Polish troops march into Breda

okay, had to slip one more in

Dutch civilians take to the streets as Canadian tanks liberate Leeuwarden

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Raate_Road

If they make another ww2 game (BF or COD) It would be cool if they could to the finnish theatre or north africa instead of the usual eastern and western front.

It would be cool if they stopped making WWII games and pick something else from the five thousand years of recorded history

French soldiers advancing during the Battle of the Somme, 1916

Battle of Sedan during the Franco-Prussian War, 1870

It's also interesting to note that this is perhaps the first true photo of a battle in history

Legionnaires in Indochina, 1954

Polish ace in World War 2

British tank during trials, World War 1

Italian soldiers of the Savoia Cavalleria charging Soviets at Izbushensky, 1942

>all those crosses
>each one symbolizes a human being
>that look in his eyes
meep

What is Zhukov saying to Adrien Brody?

>a human being ;_;

Yeah, I bet the Polish fighter ace is real fuckin' sad about the Germans he killed.

i meant it as the Poles look in his eyes looks like he showed no mercy to the Germans. I read stories of what Poles did to Germans from 1940-45, especially Polish pilots

Those symbolize planes IIRC, not human beings.
I wouldn't put it past a polish ace to buzz ejected german pilots though, considering the circumstances.

Ah, sorry. Veeky Forums has shortened certain fuses.

>first true photo of a battle in history
What are you talking about? Weren't there a lot of photographs of the American Civil War?

I'm talking about a battle in action, there was one from a civil war battle, but it was impossible to see anything through the smoke and distance

Show it, please. It's my favorite war.

This is way too small, I can't see anything.

It won't happen.
Most people who play BF/Cod probably think Finland along with every other country in Europe was under Nazi control during the war, or would think they're Germans because they wear the same helmets.

Not to mention that the majority of the most interesting/largest battles of the war took place on the Eastern Front.

Why do they wear hand-me-down American shit? You'd think a country like France would be able to make their own uniforms for their men

>Germans
>Human
that's where you're wrong

They did make their own uniforms, but it is just based off the American style, pretty much every western country did this post-WW2, for whatever reason. Probably similar to as of how everyone copied French uniforms in the 19th century, until the 1870's, where everyone then copied the Prussians.

pls delete pic

French soldiers giving candy to American soldiers after the closing of the Colmar Pocket at Rouffach, 1945.

American soldier of the 12th Armoured Division guarding German prisoners, April 1945