/dfg/

Somnolent Dwarf edition

Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.05.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164123
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Need
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Entity_token#VALUE
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_token#PERSONALITY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

nice pic desu

I know right?

Guys I can't find the deep metals. I yolo'd it without shallow metals for FUN but I'm going crazy to the point where I had to backup and then delete the save so that I could check if there were even deep metals to begin with on the embark. They should be all over the whole thing.

I have dug down two shafts on opposite sides of the map with like 50x50 grids every couple levels looking for god damn metal.

It's like the ore gods know I was trading with Elves or something

how do I remove the desire to wander? i want a 1x1 fort without dwarves getting all antsy

By the way, I don't mean to avatarfag but is OPFAG still about? Usually he's the one who makes the new threads, but the last one only got made after it's predecessor had been archived for 4 hours.

>Usually he's the one who makes the new threads
wrong

Oh. Did he maintain/update the pastebin then? Or did he just disappear and I wasn't aware of it.

he maintains the pastebin regularly and hes posting in here all the time as far as I know. hes probably reading this post! Hi OPFAG!

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Need

>Move to/from any site or region tile / fish, hunt and gather plants in fort mode (cannot be satisfied on 1x1 embarks)

cmon son did you even try looking?

i got that far actually, but I dont quite see how I can change it in the raws to remove that specific need. ill keep looking and post the answer if I find it first.

Ok, it's just I hadn't seen him in ages and after the thread before last I got kinda concerned.

alright i found this:

VALUE
>Sets the civ's cultural values. Numbers range from -50 (completely anathema) to 0 (neutral) to 50 (highly valued).
>[VALUE:CRAFTSMANSHIP:50]

the wandering requirement is apparently tied to two values:
NATURE, ACTIVITY LEVEL
which are tied to other values as well. I could nullify both of those and i suppose it would remove the wandering requirement but it would probably also affect the dwarves desire to see animals and stay occupied.

Big
Dorf
Benis

come on can you post something original? Jeez oh man, every day with this. Come on dude, i mean like seriously?

wow. just WOW.

You'll have to regenerate the world if you're already playing one. The raws modifications can be done in two folders, the save file folder and the raw folder in the root DF folder. Save mods are limited to things the game checks every time on loading ([NOTHOUGHT] tags) but already saved data isn't effected (changing personalities) since that's already 'set' by the world gen.
Raws folder changes only impact new worlds, and is where you have to make the change so you won't deal with wandering needs any more.

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Entity_token#VALUE
>Entity tokens define entities, or civilizations, in entity_*.txt files.
scroll down or search function for "NATURE" and in the dwarf entry change the value to
[VALUE:NATURE:-50] and you'll get fewer dwarves who value nature (along with the whole civ hating nature to a greater degree; expect more dwarf-elf wars)

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_token#PERSONALITY
The creature token for the dwarf is in the creature_standard.txt, and is the first entry.
You can basically copy/paste this almost anywhere in the dwarf entry
[PERSONALITY:ACTIVITY_LEVEL:0:0:0]
and they'll be lazy as fuck

but be aware that there's a section for male and female castes, and if you put that tag in one caste section but not the other, only that one will have the personality change; paste the new line above or below the caste tags to avoid this.

looks like i took too long to type that out

>but it would probably also affect the dwarves desire to see animals and stay occupied
such is the nature of tinkering with the mind.

for a more practical and less cheaty method of solving the problem, simply embark on a section of the map which has two regions in it.
alternately and possibly, send dwarves on raids to an uninhabited ruins.

or just assign the plant gathering skill on every dwarf and use interactivity zones to gather fruits/vegetables from different region tiles in your embark.

thx for the write up anyway it at least confirmed what I discovered.
>send dwarves on raids to an uninhabited ruins.
this might work, ill try it out.
>different region tiles in your embark
i'd have to do a 1x2 region i think, which defeats the purpose of trying for a 1x1. Honestly though it wouldn't even really affect the gameplay that much since it hardly affects their stress.

>embark
>want to get stone to start making blocks asap
>Magnetite everywhere (i mean EVERYWHERE, for at least the top 5 layers)
todeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

>whisker torn off
>intense wound that causes infection
>fingernail smashed
>intense wound that causes infection

The Dwarven "Master Race", ladies and gentlemen. Elves are the true Master Race. Trees and peace with nature not rocks and digging ok

why do underground crops require planting in certain seasons? they're underground.

>Try to create a humanoid creature with homeotherm 50000U
>They melt upon spawning
how stop

Unmeltable safe skin and bones

just fixed it by copying some tokens that the dragon raws have that make it not melt from it's own dragonfire heat, turns out [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER] just makes it not affected by the interaction.

sauce?

"Dumb witch and her dumb friends do dumb magic things"

yeah, that's the mahou shoujo genre, I want the specific show

whats the magic word?

abracadabra

I'm sure that what you wanna hear is 'please', but I'll say something like this

I think I know, but I don't want to say

little witch autists (LWA for short)

"We come from a family of botanists and gardeners.
-Tarn "Toady One" Adams

Come at me you fucking ass

It is very fat.

the ass was fat

How do I make my companion stop talking to people who aren't even fucking there anymore?

It's kind of odd that there are wereasses and forgotten beasts that look like asses but no normal asses that are called such in DF.

By getting Toady to fix that bug. NPCs do that regardless of being your companions, it's just more noticeable when they're following you around and you know that the guy they're talking to is in another building.

drawfags.......
ASSEMBLE!!!

Is there a good guide anywhere as to how to create your own DF creatures?

THICC

Just copy paste one of the existing ones and change it

Why do i even bother saving this thread from page 10 all day

>Doing shit, notice blood spraying all over the place in the fort
>What the fuck
>Check logs
>Hunter and level 6 Speardwarf fight in Tavern
>Hunter just taking clonks left and right, some of them blowing pieces of his body across the room
>Hunter taken to Hospital, has like 8 different injuries that require surgery/sutures/setting/dressing/immobilization

So that's what happens if a normal Dwarf gets in a drunken brawl with a mediocre military Dwarf

So I got an order from a guy I just later realized is an animal man vampire, and after I completed it and came back he is nowhere to be found, and I can't ask for his whereabouts. People just tell me "he is lord" even though there is another ruler, fuck is up with this?

It's appreciated, regardless.

Ok I'm retarded he wasn't around because it's not night, still confused about the lord thing.

Can someone please explain how i get into this fucking game, i've had it forever but i just have no fucking idea what im doing, and it does nothing to help me. Am i retarded or is this a common thing?

Pic unrelated i just saw some LWA images while scrolling and thought it was appropriate

not planting underground crops during winter is a remant from the 2D version era where the mud would dry out during winter and the cave river (being an actual river and not a standing pool of water) would actually flood out some distance from the shore every spring.

>Notice there's a sewer network in this human town called "Urnlove"
>Read on wiki that dead bodies, skeletons, or other random items are uncommon/rare
>ok
>Find the sewer access and start exploring
>Literally hundreds of reptile man corpses and blowdarts litter the sewers with not a single living creature in sight
>Read on legends that there was a vampire purge a few hundred years prior

What in the everloving fuck happened here? A sewer war?

Download the newest version and keep playing the game until you get good, never give up. You can follow the wiki quickstart guide, it's decently helpful for newcomers.
Shoddily drawing beards over your anime girls will increase their quality.

Just keep trucking until you understand shit.
First comes understanding how to provide necessities, then fortress defense and finally everything else.

>and it does nothing to help me

1. design a new world with advanced parameters
2. up/down arrows or 8, 2, 9, or 3 (number pad) to select the world 'smaller island'
3. 'c'opy the world and 't'itle it as "smaller custom" then 'e'nter the advanced paramters of it
4. look through the list (arrows or numpad 8, 2, 9, 3) of all the shit you mostly don't need to care about but should change the following to the corresponding values:
Embark points to 10,000.
End year to 250.
Percentage beasts dead for stoppage to 100.
Year to check for beasts to 10,000.
Mineral scarcity to 100.
Number of bogeyman types to ZERO!
5. 'esc' to be done and 'F6' to save the new custom world. press enter to generate it. this may take some time if your machine is a toaster, but it should not crash.
6. play adventure mode in this new world you've generated and read the screen for green input hints:
- select a dwarf and play as a demigod
- increase stats to: Superior Strength, Agility. High Willpower, Toughness. Above average endurance.
- increase skills to: Competent Axedwarf, Fighter, Observer, Shield, Armor, Dodge. Adequate Swimmer, climber, wrestler. Novice tracker, striker, kicker, reader.
- press enter to begin character description but ignore that by pressing enter twice to actually start adventure mode. read the intro blurb and ignore it if you please, press enter to dismiss the text box, and actually do what THIS text box says:
- TYPE ? to get the help menu.
- type ? too many times to get the screen in image related

2 CAT!

Is melting bugged to fuck or something?

I have probably 80 random pieces of worn out armor/etc. that are all marked to melt, and even if I set the melt task as priority a Furnace Operator will walk up to the Smelter, suspend the task, and walk off. The shit is all available just a few steps away and the Smelters aren't set up to only take from a stockpile.

I don't get it and it is delaying my metallings

If you've managed to do ALL that then you've already passed the first test, by having enough patience to play Dwarf Fortress.

The entire point of the custom start was to avoid being raped at night by the boogeymen which appear at night and then murder lone travelers.
The dwarf is chosen so you can have normal vision underground.
The stat point layout was to give your adventurer enough strength to hoard possessions. The skill point layout was to provide ease of access (swim climb) and more information (tracking) with a good way to kill most living wild animals proficiently (axes, fighter) without getting killed in turn (wrestling, shield, dodge, armor)

From that point on i can't really provide a guide since the starting layout of the map and history preclude it, outside of a very vague step-by-step:

- press 'q' to holster your weapon and shield, so people won't be freaked out if they see you.

- press shift+t for "T"ravel and wander around until you see in the upper-left an "

burrows
forbidden
dumped
reasons for suspension?

Keep at it, this is a tough game to get into. If you ever feel bad about taking a while to figure something out, remember that I spent four days figuring out how stairs work. stick to it, even when you fail, try try again.

these but also coke/coal fuel, and similar access problems involving them.

Is there an android version? Please don't yell at me

>gets asked for help with Dwarf Fortress
>gives assistance with adventure mode
Why do adventurefags do this?

Unless you want your phone to burst into flames, no there isn't and there won't be.

Is it really that demanding? It's just ascii

Because the entire perspective of fortress mode is underpinned by the understanding of adventure mode.

> What's this [piece of furniture] [animal] [item] [terrain]?
> How does a ramp work?
> Why are my dwarves dying?
> What do these flashing symbols mean?
> My dwarves are so slow, why can't they move faster?
> These marksdwarves can't shoot these enemies below them, why is that?

A good 90% of this shit is explained by playing adventure mode for a few hours. The last point especially; if you play adventure mode you can get an understanding of how line-of-sight works and can design a fortress around that concept.

It also helps familiarize people who might not be used to a keyboard-only interface. Even though the interface of fortress mode has a few screens updated to allow mouse point-click use

Specific fortress mode questions like "How does a burrow work?" is much more appropriate for a /dfg/ thread, but even then the wiki can probably explain better.
READ THE FUCKIN WIKI.

Still doesn't help with anything like putting down farms, designating stockpiles, building and giving workshop orders, mining out a fortress and a whole ton of shit you need to do to actually make a fortress of any kind.

*breathes in*

I honestly think i need to make a macro designed soley to do a step-by-step FOR DUMMIES edition.
Or make a DF tutorial movie for the current version using the built-in movie feature.
Then upload it to DFFD and copy/paste the link religiously.

Its not the graphics, its all the other stuff. Its the temperature calculations, its the hitting people in the upper real left teeth, its pathing for +50 dwarves and another +50 wild animals, its simulating the world outside the fort, etc. These problems are exacerbated by the fact that toady is a fairly mediocre programmer, so none of the calculations are offloaded to the GPU, none of it is multithreaded, and none of it is optimized. This all comes together such that the game is far too single thread intensive for a phone's (or even many low end laptop's) CPU to handle. This is just what happens when the game is both intensely assimilationist and is so niche that it has to be produced as the brainchild of an eccentric mathematician rather than anyone with formal experience programing in anything other than Mathematica.

How the fuck do I avoid/know that I'm embarking in a civilization without access to Iron Anvils?
I'm getting sick of having to restart from site selection,

There is an app that allows for playing df on your phone through remote gaming, the downside is that you need a constant internet connection to play though.

Just buy a laptop and save your sanity.

Just buy skyrim and please God Todd

Just buy my things, go- guy

Did you mean to type "goblins"?

>Did you mean to type "goblins"?

i'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic, dwarves are obviously the best.

map world with 10,000 points and start with a steel anvil, which are thankfully always accessible even if iron doesn't exist anywhere on the entire world map (due to either hard-coding or a reactions material bug)

or if you don't feel like starting with 10,000 points, design an advanced parameters world that has a better mineral frequency so iron will occur more often (in this case, 100 is the lowest and most frequent)

lastly if neither of those are enough, you can also let world gen simply run to the point where the dwarf civ reaches the maximum expansion allowed. more civilization land ownership = more access to ores from those lands

toady is a lazy shit

Not as lazy as a bum like you, user

I don`t actually develop a game, so I can be a lazy shit. And also >vacation

You keep posting this as though it was a funny and original thought.

>I don`t actually develop a game, so I can be a lazy shit.
Sorry user, I didn't know you were mentally impaired as well

Ok cool, looks like its confirmed that my mod has circumvented the whole sleeping camp bug.

So no one sleeps because everyone is a robot?
Also
Trash goblins?

lmao!!

toady is ajoke

>So no one sleeps because everyone is a robot?
exactly

>Trash goblins?
I wanted to make a fast-breeding race of stunted, expendable second class citizens and that was the name that popped into my head. If you manage to get a few to migrate to your fort they'll reproduce like no tomorrow and will rapidly become an expendable workforce for more villainous players to use without caring about if they survive.

Amerimongrel civil war mod when?

I've played DF for ten years and I've never bothered to understand adventure mode. It's far more unforgiving to someone not used to roguelikes than fort mode will ever be. Loo[k] around + the wiki goes a long way

Magic and witchcraft are abominations and their practitioners must be burned at the stake. The dwarven inquisition will be investigating and monitoring this thread from now on. Any heretics and devil worshipers will be PURGED.

You scared everyone away damnit

Drain the Swamp

Sometimes when I look at the list of dwarves (u) and then select one (z), the only thing displayed is the name. Things like labor and that stuff is missing. Any button I click after this causes the game to crash. Does anyone know what this is? I'm using the latest LNP with no modifications.

If the blowdarts were around and the reptile man corpses were fresh (non-skeletal) then its possible something else in the sewers killed them.

That's pretty funny coming from the race that shits out magic artifacts every time they get a decent idea.

I came out of the sewers into the half-abandoned town and saw that reptile man vampires were openly roaming the surface and attacking humans. I think this civilization is dying lads.

They aren't magical artifacts though, just incredibly well made.