Is it easier to start trading stocks or cryptocurrency?

Is it easier to start trading stocks or cryptocurrency?

Which has a lower barrier to entry?

Stocks are less volatile which means you want a larger investment to make a difference.

That's why we're all poorfag neets doing crypto, see.

Just easy money fast. Not only poorfags are into crypto.

(Am poorfag myself though.)

But I mean which is easier to set up an account.

All you need for crypto is an email address

So I just sign up with an email address and can buy and start trading?

How far will $50 take me if I treat it like a hobby, assuming I'm also building the minimum on a Vanguard 500 index as my primary concern?

Stocks, as you can make somewhat decent decisions just by researching a company and having a decent knowledge of the market they compete in.

Crypto currencies are backed by black markets and fluctuate based on uncertainty and distrust in other Fiat currencies.

Intradesting question

as a college child crypto was easier
My time to set up various autist wallets and computer playtime was plentiful while my money was in short supply

Now as a sad old wagecuck my money is plentiful but I sure as fuck wouldn't fuck around splerging this or that exchange when I could just call my brokerage customer service what are you 12? You want real money make real investments. Grow up

So which has higher barrier? Depends

After looking into both Stocks and Crypto.

I have to say Stocks are a scam.

1. High trading fees.
2. "Market closes at 4pm"
3. Despite market "closing" after-hours trading can still occur.
4. Massive fluctuations can occur during after hours, and if you want to trade after hours it will cost you more.
5. Might as well be centralized currency, you only do as well as the company you invested in, a small subset of the world.

vs Crypto:

1. Low fees.
2. Can trade 24/7 unless your exchange is down
3. Decentralized currency, anyone can trade it making it widely accessible.
4. It's controlled by the people, if the people say it's worth money then it's worth money.

If a company comes out and is like "we're bankrupt." Your stock is worth zero.

If crypto news comes out saying "We're useless." It doesn't even matter, the people can still believe it's worth something.

A crypto can be deemed worthless, but people will still buy it because they know other people will buy it.

I'm new to all of this and am learning slowly in my free time but why doesn't someone make a coin that is not volatile?

>be you
>put all the money your'e ready to invest into a vanguard money market account
>split your money 60/40 between American and emerging market index funds
>open a paper trading account
>pick 10 stocks across 10 sectors
>divide money equally across your picks
>reassess/monitor regularly. buy and sell news/earnings reports
>after a year of saving and confidence you know what you're doing, take all the money that you didn't invest in the paper count and open a real trading account

goodluck

Didn't answer either of my questions.

Crypto is easier. Its all hype cycles it seems. Stock patterns i dont recognize at all id get rekt

go fuck yourself

bump for this

crypto has a low barrier to entry and can be traded on a shoe string

on the other hand there isn't much in the way of fundamentals when it comes to crypto - trading is mostly technical/price based and prone to large swings - this can be both a good thing and a bad thing

Why can it be a bad thing?

cryptos, in stocks the middle man takes a huge cut

Trading crypto is like stock trading for autists.

Isn't it alot harder to get into stock trading? Like you have to get a broker or something.

For crypto you just enter your email address.

Can you reword this sentence so it actually makes fucking sense? You sound like a legitimate autist

No u

The stock market is at an all time high and propped up by the fed.

>After looking into both Stocks and Crypto.
>I have to say Stocks are a scam.

That must have been a very cursory look.

Making it easy for people who know nothing, and have very little money, to invest in crypto is ... not really a very good argument to invest in crypto, once you think about it.

1. Stocks represent ownership in companies.
2. The stock market has a history of going up over time. Like a 100+ year history.
3. Crypto represents what people guess might be a valuable currency at some future date if widely adopted.
4. Crypto, not stocks, is the one with the history of massive volatility.

>>people will still buy it because they know other people will buy it

Jeez, dude, that's an argument for how stocks are a scam? Good lord, you really don't understand investing.

much dumber money in crypto and wilder swings, easy for those with a decent skillset to make money

equities are a fucking meme, oh wow 15% per year if i'm great, thank you so much mister shekelstein, my 10 grand makes me 1,500 in an entire year

Volatility is a result of human behavior. There isn't a mechanism to prevent wild swings, it's like asking people to never go over the speed limit.

That depends. Do you actually want to make money doing it? Then stocks. Making significant profit mining crypto takes a lot of dedicated hardware investment before you can even begin to offset the utility cost of mining in the first place.

>Mining
Dude what is this 2011? In this year you just buy cryptocoins and watch as they double and triple in value.

>equities are a fucking meme, oh wow 15% per year if i'm great, thank you so much mister shekelstein, my 10 grand makes me 1,500 in an entire year

yea except with compounding interest your 10,000 at 15% will be over 600,000 in 30 years. and that's assuming you aren't also making regular contributions to it.

while your crypto currency probably won't even exist.

I guess, but that's gambling, not investing.

crypto hands down

>4. Crypto, not stocks, is the one with the history of massive volatility.

He really believes this

>I guess, but that's gambling, not investing.

That's what crypto is for.

You want to invest, choose stocks.

>He really believes this

Everyone who looks at it believes it.

>There isn't a mechanism to prevent wild swings, it's like asking people to never go over the speed limit.

The trendline is stochastic. No one ever knows where it will end up or which way it will go.

Thats why if the NYSE falls 5% the market managers immediately pull the plug.

A 24/7 market with no brakes. Thats crypto. At least in theory.

I will correct myself in terms of poloniex. Their system (which it odes not seem like they are making any progress improving) predictably crashes and lags on extremely high volume periods. Hmmm.

I'm nervous; I'm just about to start buying into a Vanguard 500 and I'm afraid that it'll be 2008 as soon as I pull the trigger

>I'm nervous; I'm just about to start buying into a Vanguard 500 and I'm afraid that it'll be 2008 as soon as I pull the trigger

If you're investing for the long term, then buy some every year, and the volatility diminishes over time. (Since the overall trend is clearly up over the long run, which we don't know about crypto currencies, but suspect most of them won't survive, at least.)

If you're thinking about the short run, skip stocks, even though bonds and CDs are ridiculously low interest right now.

lmao
It sounds like you're trolling, but undsrstand that money is money kid. Crypto is a booming market riped for making quick cash, if you know what to do. If you need plentiful amounts of time to set up a wallet then maybe you won't fare well, with cryptocurrency or "real investments"

Hope you like my "intradèesting" reply pal.

I'm thinking longer term. My tentative plan is regular deposits into the indexes/IRA while playing around with an amount equal to 10-15% of that on robinhood or some other platform.

>I'm thinking longer term. My tentative plan is regular deposits into the indexes/IRA while playing around with an amount equal to 10-15% of that on robinhood or some other platform.

Sounds sensible. I have made a lot of money over time with indexing combined with a smaller percent of individual stock selection. I wasn't terrible at picking stocks, but I decided I hadn't proven that I was better than the average investor, so I only have about $50K left in individual stocks (just to keep my hand in).

>1. High trading fees.
Right, I pay $3 for most trades.

>2. "Market closes at 4pm"
>3. Despite market "closing" after-hours trading can still occur.
Sounds like someone didn't have time to read about operating hours.

>4. Massive fluctuations can occur during after hours, and if you want to trade after hours it will cost you more.
No shit, but if you're actually investing you don't give a fuck about "massive fluctuations". If you're trading you should be taking advantage of those fluctuations.
And I pay the exact same price for after hours trades.
Where did you get this info?

literally nowhere

You have to figure out a way to buy BTC first