Conservative/Orthodox Judaism Q&A

Hey Veeky Forums I'm an Orthodox Jew who has come from a traditional Conservative upbringing. I have devoted a great portion of my life to studying scripture, alas of course I still have hobbies, and I make time to spend with my friends and fiancé.

I will be answering most, if not all questions, however, please try to keep them on topic, as I will primarily be answering questions in regards to scripture (Torah, Tanakh, Talmud, Midrash, Zohar etc.), Haggadah (Law), and any other curiosities.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kutha_meat
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why did you reject salvation through Christ?

why did Jews stop using urim and thummim?

Well, to first apply my own experience, I've studied numerous religious texts in regards to Christianity, and I have to say; brilliantly written, alas inconsistent.

I've read the Christian Bible in both Hebrew and Aramaic, and it completely contradicts Jewish faith.

Ask me a follow to this question, as I must answer other questions. Thanks.

What do you think of Chiam Delzinger?

For something more theological and less gossipy, do you think that Rambam's ultimate point, that "modern" scholarship can replace the Talmud, holds any water? Because at least some of his letters indicate that he thought the Mishneh Torah could be used as a replacement for the Gemarah, only to retreat from that stance when that provoked a nasty reaction. Yet his fundamental reasoning seems sound, as long as you don't take it as axiomatic that earlier Rabbanim are necessarily wiser and better than later ones.

Whether or not it could ever be accepted, do you think it's possible for a modern Rabbi to come up with a work that could displace the Gemarah if it were found to be clever enough?

Explain further.

I suspect you are asking about the ornaments connected to the breastplate of the Kohanim? For that matter, I am unsure. Alas, I vaguely believe it has to deal with the destruction of the Second Temple.

One other question, now that it pops into my head.

You look at the Garden of Eden narrative, and "nakedness" is quite a prominent theme. So when we get to ג;א we have הַנָּחָשׁ, הָיָה עָרוּם,
מִכֹּל חַיַּת הַשָּׂדֶה

Which is usually translated as some sort of varation of the serpent being the most clever/cunning/subtle/whatever of all the beasts of the field. But ערום has as its core meaning of smoothness, which is why it also can be translated as naked, and is done so in the immediately preceding verse.

What parallels do you think should be drawn from this? Is it supposed to be a suggestion of untapped intelligence on behalf of mankind? Or that the serpent is more naked than others, for whatever value you want to assign to nakedness?

I'm going to apologize and skip your first question as I am unfamiliar with that person.

In regards to your second question, the simple answer is 'Yes'. Talmud, and any other piece of rabbinic literature are not divinely inspired by G-d (albeit maybe internally inspired), thus it always has the potential to be rewritten and reinterpreted.

Now, can something of equal or greater caliber replace the Talmud? Possible, yet doubtful. The Talmud is an extensive series of commentaries spanning multiple volumes of books, and something of the same sort can take generations. If I recall reading, if you are to read one section of a chapter of the Talmud a day, it would still take you seven years to finish it in I entirety.

Why aren't Ashkenazi Jews being bred for their superior iq?

Before CRISPR becomes a norm we should strive to increase the number of high IQ people as much as possible

>Law
Is it true that if any Chametz remain in your house during Passover, you commit like a million of sins, because every second they are there, 3 different sins are committed (3, 6, 9...), so that forgetting to selling all the Chametz to the Goyim, directly or through your Rabbi, and to clean the place, can potentially cause you to sin more during a week than in your entire lifetime?

As, this question can span multiple responses and replies, I will keep it as brief as possible. So, if you would like to ask me a question regarding this specific topic, please include an exact issue you want me to cover.

However, I would start by looking towards the Pentateuch, or the 5 Books of Moses. For example, in Exodus 20:4 it states "You shall not make for yourself a sculptured image, or any likeness of what is in the heavens above, or on the earth below, or in the waters under the earth." So, in regards to making G-d into that of a man is against the mitzvot.

>In regards to your second question, the simple answer is 'Yes'. Talmud, and any other piece of rabbinic literature are not divinely inspired by G-d (albeit maybe internally inspired), thus it always has the potential to be rewritten and reinterpreted.

Except, of course, that the Rabbinical body as a group (however you wind up defining that) has had power to assert, not merely interpret. Something like Muksah isn't a doctrine based around understanding the laws of Shabbos, it's the Rabbis, in their own name, saying "We want you to do this IN ADDITION to what God wants you to do".

Can the legal aspect be overturned as well?

Also, why do you write "G-d"? Either a proper divine name is one of the set in Hebrew that gets tossed around, or it's any word used to refer to God with the understanding of both speaker and listener as to what you're talking about. If it's the former, "God" doesn't count as a divine name. If it's the latter, "G-d" does as well.

That's a good question, the main reason Ashkenazim are said to have higher IQs is strictly because of the affinity that we've grown up speaking numerous languages, for example, I grew up speak English, Hebrew, and Yiddish along with some Ladino.

It really depends on the family. I generally do not considering I'm Orthodox, however during the High Holidays I usually invite a lot of my non-Jewish friends, so when they come over, they take a lot of them.

A sculpture isn't a being created by God.

Romans 2:29
Philippians 3:3
Galatians 3:16
1 John 2:23

Since when is Pesach one of the high holidays?

not him, but technically speaking Adam was "sculpted" from dirt and then had life breathed into him so humans are living sculptures

Yes, any piece of Rabbinic literature can be overturned, however a lot of what the authority constitutes as additional law can also be changed, however most of it is not do to it also being Oral Torah.

In regards to the way I put a dash in the name of HaShem, it's just habit I guess, I've always done it since a lot of my peers, including Christians have as well. I use HaShem in vocal communication though.

Is it possible to become a Jew, or do you need to "marry in"?

That's because God is the giver of life. He is the life. In fact that's what Jesus said.

A man cannot create an idol and breathe life into it. And an idol can be more than a sculpture.

It is because it signifies when Moses led the Israelites out of Egypt.

Yes, it is possible to convert to Judaism. Also, converts to Judaism are looked at in high regard as being even more holy than someone whom was born into the religion, because it is looked at as coming back to the faith.

I've had numerous friends this year who have converted to Judaism, 2 Catholics, a Protestant, and 2 Muslims.

So? At least in normal parlance, the Regalim aren't in the same set as the High Holidays, which are usually just Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. Shavuous is when the Torah was given, arguably more important than the Exodus, but I've never heard anyone call that a High Holiday.

Idolatry is one of the most grievous sins in Judaism, there are probably more subjects upon it in the Torah than any other sin. For example in Leviticus 26:1, it states: "You shall not make idols for yourselves, or set up for yourselves carved images or pillars, or place figured stones in your land to worship upon, for I the LORD am your God."

You're right, I'm sorry for the confusion. It's just that I refer it as a high holiday do to that it is looked upon for numerous days, and each of those days are Yom Tov.

why is ritual sacrifice, slaughter, induced suffering, punishment, sacrificial offerings a part of Judaism and pagan religions, including Molochism?

Do you think white nationalism is valid and could there be an amicable arrangement between white Goyim and Jews in the future?

We do not practice those anymore do to the destruction of the Second Temple. The sacrifice is known as "Qorbanot", and even then, including now the majority of the sacrifices were not animals, but grains and fruits.

How does one convert to Orthodox Judaism?

What do you think about a possible circumcision ban in Denmark?

What is a fun part of the Talmud to dip into?

Is Yiddish widely spoken amongst your community?

It depends on if you consider Ashkenazi Jews "white" per se. We are "Caucasian" as the majority of Semitic and European people are, and if you also consider Caucasian synonymous with White, then I see no quarrel and it could be arranged.

fool me once, Chaim

kosher ritual slaughter is ritual sacrifice

also ritual slaughter during Kipur and high holy times

also circumcision is derived ritual slaughter following the Abraham/Isaac sacrifice fiasco

and there is more

Romans 2:29

No, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a person's praise is not from other people, but from God.

Philippians 3:3

For it is we who are the circumcision, we who serve God by his Spirit, who boast in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh--

Galatians 3:16

The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. Scripture does not say "and to seeds," meaning many people, but "and to your seed," meaning one person, who is Christ.

1 John 2:23

No one who denies the Son has the Father; whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also.

What about circumcision? How do they check that, or do they take your word for it?

Conversion to Orthodox Judaism is tedious, yet a fulfilling mitzvot. It usually takes months of study, and to start, all you will need to do is go into an Orthodox Synagogue, and exclaim, or demand for a conversion, because any other way of asking would seem as though you don't have the will, or do not suffer enough to want to convert.

In regards to the circumcision ban, from what I read it was only in regard to doctor circumcision for no sake, as to religious or medical.

I would definitely start from the beginning of the Talmud, however a fun portion is Chagiga, or Driving.

Yiddish is spoken somewhat in my neighborhood especially among the older generation, however, as there is only about a million native speakers worldwide, it is difficult. I'm actively trying to teach my fiancé Yiddish as well.

and the entire purpose of kosher ritual sacrifice is to make the animal suffer with slow bleeding

the suffering and blood letting rituals to protect the sinner's rights to continue to sin

>citing documents from another religion to comment upon Judaism

This is so stupid. How would you respond if I cited the Koran to make a point about Christianity?

As I stated before excellently written, however, I would take it seriously if I actually believed in it, and for the sake of HaShem I will not turn back in my faith.

This is completely false, because it is against scripture to derive pain to any living thing. Try again.

Nowadays during conversion, rabbinical authority has deemed it unnecessary for total and complete circumcision. However, they would just simply prick your penis to expel a drop of blood to signify your alliance in the covenant.

it's Qur'an. And it's false teachings, like Judaism.

The very issue, is that it isn't your faith. Not any longer.

How can you exclaim Judaism is false teaching when the entirety of the Christian faith is based on Judaism?

So you'd dismiss it as irrelevant? Good, then perhaps you'll stop making such irrelevant points.

Are you exclaiming that Judaism is not my faith? May HaShem have mercy on your soul for stating such blasphemous fallacies.

>he fell for the kosher slaughter is painless meme

kosher is the most cruel blood-letting ritual, the purpose is to induce pain and suffering and let the blood for sacrifice

and then why not painlessly do it like the Jhatka?

Sikhs are not allowed to even eat the kosher/halal meat since it is derived of malevolent (pain) sacrifice

Jhatka is meat from an animal that has been intended to be killed instantaneously, such as by a single strike of a sword or axe to sever the head, as opposed to "ritualistic" slaughter (kutha) in the kosher method (shechita) and halal method (dhabihah).

/thread

I drop mi soap

forbidden Kuttha meat is defined as "meat of animal or fowl slaughtered slowly or slaughter which sanctifies meat", the halal and kosher methods being examples

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kutha_meat

Christianity is not based on the Talmud.

No, I'm saying you believe you've adopted the true faith, when in fact you've continued in a deliberate denial of the primoses made to Abraham. There was a time frame for the Messiah to arrive, he arrived in a timely manner. If you continue in this path, you are deliberately denying the coming of God.

Jesus went before the Sanhedrin and admitted he was the Son of the Blessed. He rose from his grave, as prophisied. And his promise is eternal life in his presence. Why deny yourself that?

That is a complete fallacy in regards to traditional kosher slaughter. It might be painful if done in factories for whatever reason, but I've attended a traditional slaughter before; it is literally one stroke with the knife, and then it dropped dead.

he means that through christ, christians are the true israel now
You have to actually establish that he should accept the new testament teaching before you appeal to it to make a point.

In regards to your second response, if you are aiming for a Pascal's Wager, that is also a sin because you have no faith in G-d, you are just trying to save your butt from damnation. Also, Christianity is all Oral Torah, because if you didn't have Oral Torah and the teachings of the Patriarchs, you wouldn't be able to read the Bible.

Well there is a difference between a deliberate denial, and not understanding who someone is. The scriptures are clear. So whatever I say, is for their sake really.

Furthermore, how have I adopted any faith, when my faith was here to begin with?

Blindly believing scripture based on what someone told you is ignorance and is no more sinful than lacking faith all together. Secondly, scripture is not clear, and is filled with allegories and metaphors (nowhere in Scripture does it mention Jesus or anyone of the like).

I know I deserve hell for a lot of what I've done. No question there. But being a Christian isn't about being perfect. It's about knowing you aren't. So you need God's help. His grace. And to turn from ones sins. Even in the OT it is this way.

Believe what you will. No one can force you to become anything but what you choose to be.

No one is perfect, I agree, however you do not attain salvation through the death of some man. You only obtain salvation, and His grace through mercy, and study of the Torah and Tanakh.

I appreciate the tolerance in a place with which that is lacking, in some regards.

The word grace implies a free gift. Otherwise it is no longer grace. Old argument.

sure if you explain it like that, then any 5 year old would take that as a fact

but scientific, analytical biologists would like to have a word with you...

The UN Farm Animal Welfare Council said that the method by which Kosher and Halal meat is produced causes "significant pain and distress" to animals and should be banned

Rabbi Cohen, writing for the New Statesman, discusses research papers collected by Compassion in World Farming which indicate that the animal suffers pain during the process

He would never give anything out for free. To obtain his grace you must first do good deeds. One does not obtain salvation by just saying they believe in the Lord, and then subsequently proceed to sit on their ass and do nothing.

Then I would have to give a more in-depth analysis of the topic. Thanks.

not op, but the hebrew word which is translated as grace does not imply a free gift, it implies favour or desiredness

This is why the call to repentence is very serious. Grace is grace though.

Jesus said this. (pic)

The thing is, I don't care what Jesus said because I do not follow the Christian scripture. I have already stated this.

but jews don't think jesus was god, so they don't care. Again, you have to establish they should accept the source as an authority before you cite it against them

how do you deal with the incongruous presentation of god's character and desires between the pentateuch, prophets and rabbinic literature?

repentance* rather

Like I said, no one can force you to believe. But for your sake, I say this. Consider this my last transmission. Goodbye.

why do you take god at his word?

bless you for trying to help, but why should we take your opinions seriously if you can't defend them? Why should you take your opinions seriously if you can't defend them?

>But for your sake, I say this

There is no god but Allah and Mohemed is his messenger. Only you can save yourself from hell and win a place in jannah, no-one can force you to believe but for your sake I hope you will find the truth inshallah.

I'm unsure in what you mean by incongruous, but I think it's synonymous with inconsistent. That being said, I believe, as stated prior, the scripture can, and has been interpreted for good, and for bad. I also believe that the experiences of G-d that each Patriarch had were different in nature, somewhat.

I suspect you're Muslim, and all I can say is welcome brother, and also that our G-d is the same G-d! Baruch HaShem.

Not that faggot but I believe he means the very human-like depiction of god, where he is presented as having human desires and even being persuaded by human reasoning.

Dismantle Israel and we can talk.

By giving G-d humanlike, or human qualities you are demeaning and limiting His power.

Yes, so why does the OT do so?

By associating all Jews with a nation created by man you are limiting your salvation. Just remember, Mohammed revered the Torah. G-d says to forgive.

The Hebrew Bible does so in order for us to understand G-d in a personal level. G-d is beyond space and time; infinity even limits He. If we humans did not give him these metaphorical qualities than we would not look to G-d, as we wouldn't understand.

Every second that I don't struggle with my life or my wealth to remove non-Muslim rulers from Muslim lands will be held against me at my judgement. Jews will be forgiven and allowed to return to dhimmitude once their colony is dismantled and returned to rashid rulership.

>I'm unsure in what you mean by incongruous, but I think it's synonymous with inconsistent.
That's right
>That being said, I believe, as stated prior, the scripture can, and has been interpreted for good, and for bad. I also believe that the experiences of G-d that each Patriarch had were different in nature, somewhat.
Certainly, but don't you believe that God said to the patriarchs and moses what the torah says he did? Or do you think their experience was more like the prophets, were they are overwhelmed by a vision and interpret it? Assuming the former, which i understand to be the orthodox position, doesn't the very present, genocidal god of the torah (or at least of moses) make a striking contrast with the god who is works through history and is largely concerned with social justice in the prophets and the benevolent and fatherlike figure in the rabbinic literature? Doesn't the God whose court would be shamed if they ever issued a death sentence seem different than the one who commanded the extermination of certain tribes?

In Scripture one of the most clear things that it states is that G-d is the ruler, and G-d is the king and creator. Is it viable to believe that some of G-d's words might have come to be presumed by us humans as immoral? Of course, but it is still G-d's will. Remember he is neither good or evil, only merciful and just.

But if it doesn't make it clear what is metaphor and allegory and what is true history, aren't they just angering god by conflating myths like genesis and exodus to history like judges.

>it states is that G-d is the ruler, and G-d is the king and creator.
you are making the same mistake the christian did. Either that assertion comes from God, and my question stands, or it doesn't and my question stands

If God didn't make it a metaphor, and He gave us the answers, there would be no need for God. This is because God makes us find him, he doesn't find us. God doesn't need us, we need God. God doesn't need our love, we need God's love.

I don't mean to be rude, just frank. I would like to be a jew or christian, but first I have to make sure it's rationally defensible and I'm not just lying to myself

How is it possible to find a god who is known only thru myths? Sure if you're a prophet you get his voice booming in your head, but how is some poor slob supposed to find him in the mess of fiction, myth, and horror known as the Bible? No rational person would worship such a brute as the OT god is sometimes portrayed as.

>I'm actively trying to teach my fiancé Yiddish as well.
How do you find a jewish women to date?

I appreciate the honesty, however, as I've said Judaism is up for interpretation in regards to scripture. Be it rabbinical literature, Talmud, Torah and Tanakh, Zohar etc., it is all up for interpretation. God did not speak directly to all of us humans, we only have the words that God gave us via the Oral Torah that the rabbi's subsequently taught. The rabbi's did have disciples that did write down their word, and that became the extensive volumes of that of the Talmud.

Believe it or not, I've known my future wife since elementary school. We reconciled in high school when we coincidentally both ended up going to the same High School. We subsequently started to go out at around junior year, and we've been with each other ever since.

Good, and reasonable, and intelligently phrased question. The god of the Torah or the Christian Old Testament, is a just God. He is looking out for his children to find a place where they can call home be it through difficult tribunes and trials, they are to succeed.

Now, where does a person that has no prior knowledge of God go about believing in God? I could simply say it's Faith, however that would be ignorant and a cop-out excuse to call myself religious. The non sequitur is, do you have the courage and willpower to sustain a relationship with this mythical force that you're not even sure actually exists? By devoting oneself to scripture; by learning the words of God through the Patriarchs, one learns history, one learns good morals and deeds, albeit some immoral and some bad D to avoid, however the majority of it is is a long and fulfilling process to call yourself Jewish.

Furthermore, one would love a God more and follow a God more if they fear God rather than outright love God by himself. This is because a God who is feared gets things done, and a God who is feared is not opposed, and a God who is feared looks out for his children and smites those who oppose them. This is the general consensus of why people follow what one would consider a scary God.

Is it true that you follow the Talmud and not the Bible? I heard a Christian say Christianity is older than Judaism because of this.

>He is looking out for his children to find a place where they can call home be it through difficult tribunes and trials, they are to succeed.

See, this deity seems indistinguishable from other tribal gods of the same culture, the likes of baal and dagon. This isn't the kind of god you seem to believe in, not some abstraction beyond human ken but a completely typical deity of the kind. I treasure this collection of myths because they are an authentic window in a long vanished world, but I see no sign of the one true god in them.

>The non sequitur is, do you have the courage and willpower to sustain a relationship with this mythical force that you're not even sure actually exists?

I am something of a student of the mind, and am quite aware that people can convince themselves to believe all kinds of things. I'm sure that if I started living as an observant Jew, studying the Bible, learn hebrew, all that stuff, then I would eventually come to believe in the god of the Jews. But I'm also sure that the same would happen if I committed to any religion, even overtly pagan ones like hinduism. That's just how belief works, our brains can't tell the difference between repetition of an idea and the validity of that idea.

But none of this gets me any closer to god, or even to knowing if there even is a god. Certainly it gets me no closer to deciding between the rival religions of the world, it seems like my only choices are to remain ignorant, or to simply commit to a religion, any religion, and follow its teachings. But this can't possibly work, because the worlds religions are mutually contradictory. Is god self contradictory?

What? That's ridiculous. The Talmud was written much later than the Torah, and is just commentaries on the Torah. We do not worship the Talmud, it is just guidelines to interpretation.

"Bible" just means a collection of books, the precise set that modern jews use does date from after the time of christ, but bear in mind that the christian bible wasn't codified until nicea, so judaism even in its modern form is older than christianity.

I wouldn't say that the world's religions are contradictory to one another, but more so that they build off each other do to conflicting beliefs. In regards to Christianity and Islam, that is a perceived extension of one another, which is then a plagiarism of Judaism.