old
>FAQ
pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34

>What to Play
pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/CTJ0hpLe

>News
New gigantic DDA mod release that lets you "win" DDA!
github.com/tyrael93/Ascension/releases
This post explains some shit I guess
discourse.cataclysmdda.org/t/ascension-mod-or-winning-dda-the-mod/14799

IVAN 0.51 released
github.com/Attnam/ivan/releases/tag/v051

Sil-q updated
github.com/sil-quirk/sil-q/releases

ADOM r88 released for free, includes new secret boss and dinosaurs, get it here:
adom.de/home/downloads.html

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

>Roguelike Servers:
roguenex.us/ (CDDA, angband, PCB)
angband.live/ (Angband and variants, including PCB)
hardfought.org/ (Nethack and variants, including slex)

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!OZ0RAALS!i_gBNDDL6creXHpETP5MntEMq5_KpLK2Ia9XkJoBZZo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

that looks disgusting

It is disgusting, that's why I chose it for the OP too remind you all how disgusting you are

cheater interface of cheatingness that lets you see whether a gray stone is a loadstone without having to pick it up

The irc chat I shit around in when playing nethack sends a message when you've obtained the luckstone from mine's end too

ded thread

I love message spam!

Most tilesets let you see that anyway
Also who the fuck doesn't kick grey stones

Unless they're in a corner

>permanently slowed!

It's not tumblr red.
It's normal healthy red, filled with tiny blood vessels in order to warm up the incoming air.
Have you seen a human nose before.

Never had such a discounted stat potion before.

Time magic fucking sucks desu. I cast a spell at the Ethereal Drake in the arena and it turned into a fucking Ethereal dragon and rekt my shit.

Even if they're in a corner, an injured foot has never killed anyone

Please do not kill yourself by kicking a wall just to be snarky ok

too late

>kicks wall
Ouch! That hurts.

Poschengband question

I started as a Vampire and it was night.

I went back up to the surface and now its daytime, how the fuck do I make it night again? I've tried resting for varying amounts of time and its still sunny out

>first mage character ive ever gotten a rune with, let alone two
>just finished depths 5
This is it, boys. Abyss, Vaults 5, or Slime? I have Ignition but it's not reliable, Vaults 5 feels like it would be suicidal to me, due to there being no escape. I've never had much trouble with Abyss before but I've never done it on a mage, I feel like mana would be a serious problem. Slime makes me nervous because I've never tried it before and I only have one pip of RCorr.

There is only one pip of rCorr.
Slimes are relatively easy for blaster caster. Enemies are dangerous but squishy, you just have to kill them fast enough.

Slime if they haven't removed the immolation/torment/tree sinergy
Also corrosion is meaningless for casters since they can't corrode your mana

Depends on what your big spell is and if you have good stealth+regen.

If you can blow up a lot of shit really fast(Glaciate/FireStorm/Ignition) then slime is quite straightforward (shatter does heavily reduced damage to slimes).

If you have good stealth(like max +s) and regen++ or the spell, then Abyss can be a really easy rune to get. OTOH it can be really hard.

Otherwise go vaults.

Think Ill give Slime a try. I can always leave if its too much.

Is Cogmind any good?

Cogmind is a good strategy game but not a particularly good roguelike. I think if you go in expecting a TBS with certain roguelike conventions you'll enjoy it more than if you expect a normal roguelike experience like DCSS or something. I don't think it's worth 30 dollars, though, which is why I'll upload the current build to mega if you want to try it out.

>Also corrosion is meaningless for casters since they can't corrode your mana
Did they remove eyes of draining?

that sounds pretty interesting actually

Yeah, it's a pretty cool game. But the price point brings it down a couple of notches and people here (rightly) shit on it for being kind of a bad roguelike, so people don't talk about it that much.

Please do upload, only a way outdated version is available everywhere I looked.

I think there's one kind of slime that chucks acid globs or something in slime that can fuck your hp fast for a blaster, so you just have to blast faster, otherwise it's easy

Sure, here you go: mega.nz/#!OZ0RAALS!i_gBNDDL6creXHpETP5MntEMq5_KpLK2Ia9XkJoBZZo

Don't expect to blast your way through things unless you're playing on easy mode (which I think you should for your first couple of games, just to get used to things). If you're playing on normal, stealth is the way to go. Fighting will just draw in more enemy robots, so unless you're equipped to handle that just run away if possible. There's no XP so there's no need to kill everything, and you can usually find equipment just laying around. Oh, and stay out of the big hallways, patrols go through there. Stick to the side rooms as much as you can. Your objective is just to move up a level, kind of like in TSL, except here fighting is usually a net negative rather than just neutral.

How does mutagen work?
I consumed like 15 units and nothing happened.

You mean in cataclysm or what?

Yeah, I made a bunch of mutagens from tainted meat, ate them and nothing happened.

Oh baby.

I dunno... Literally every single mutagen you drink should immediately cause you to mutate. This sounds like some kinda mod or setting interfering with the normal process.

Can anyone confirm this is clean?

yeah, I scanned it, it's clean

your computer will explode

Awww yeah.

I figured out the bug early this morning, but my area's internet was out so I couldn't post for several hours. It was an embarrassingly simple bug, I was using the word "floor" both as an index for the 4d container of dugeon tiles, and it was also a value for the enumerated data type terrain_type, as in
enum terrain_type {floor, water, wall, permanent_wall}

I'd been getting lucky for most of the code, but eventually it happened that I didn't declare
int floor
in a function, so when I used "floor" as an index, c++ implicitly converted the enumerated type to integer type, so every index that was supposed to reflect what floor I wanted it to was instead just set to 0, since 'floor' was listed first in the enumerated type definition.

Sucks because it was such a simple bug that took 2 days for me to find, but it's good because everything else is working very well. Needless to say, I ran through with search-and-replace and replaced relevant instances of 'floor' getting used as an index and replaced it with 'level.'

Okay, I found it.
Apparently it's a bug in the build I'm using, mutagens simply don't work. It affects the latest Coolthulu build and there is only a fix on nerfed vanilla. Fuck me.
I guess I'll debug mode turn my mutagens into mutagenic serums, maybe with a 1/5 ratio to keep it somewhat balanced. Serums seem to work.

Isn't it a 1:2 ratio normally? Can't you just make the serum or is that in a book you don't have?

Oh, there is actually an ingame recipe for that?
I guess I'll wait until I find it.

Look in labs (obviously). There's at least 2 books that have it, I believe.

Well the royal jelly scared me at first, but then I used Ignition, and then Ignition again and the fight was over.

About to enter Zot. Is it preferable to have RF++ or MR++? Also how important is mana regen? Should I sacrifice RF++ for it and take my chances with RF+?

ignition truly is too powerful of a spell. It has a fraction the XP cost of firestorm, it hits everything on screen, the damage spirals out of control on mobs, and it can't hurt yourself or allies.

I've played a bit of it and I don't quite no what you mean by it being a bad roguelike.
It's just very different.

if you can cast ignition you could probably cast Ring of Flames? That gives you rF+ if not rF++, but also rC-, so it will help against OoF but is a little risky against draconian packs.

the real point of time magic is getting a giant fat melee weapon and then spamming the "get an extra turn for free" spell to smack baddies to death before they can act

rest at the inn to advance time to the beginning of the next day/night
or you could just rest for 9999 turns and eventually it'll change naturally -- works best with a scroll or staff of darkness to stop you from burning horribly to death

MR is one of the most important stats in the game
you don't really need more than 1 pip of rF until you reach Zot:5 and have to deal with OOFs (at which point you should try to get 3 pips if possible)

Tough decisions, I think if you have that on jewelry you might swap in the rf++ sometimes but in general I would prioritize it as mr+ first, then getting at least rf+, then the regen, then getting rf++ etc

Magic resist doesn't provide the same feedback as magic regen or fire resist, but it will literally save your life from what are essentially instakill effects (paralyze mainly) and there are absolutely paralyzers in zot.

Be super careful on zot 1 because there is only one entrance. Once you get that broken in you should be g2g.

Use all of your consumables now (map scrolls and stuff) you can't tele quickly or cblink so be super careful of positioning and escape routes too.

My biggest fear in a roguelike is getting stuck, with enemies getting stronger faster than my character does.
Is it true that Angband derivatives let you grind?
It's even better if the whole game is based on an "infinite", single-character continuous play like Elona or CDDA. What are other games like that?

My character has finally got enough STR/DEX to transition from "100 bow damage/round archer" to "146 melee damage/round hitdudes". Rejoice!

I think CookieClicker does a pretty good job of that, if you just want to grind

It's not that I just want to grind, more like I don't like the pressure of having a limited amount of consumables, XP, etc.
So if the next floor is too hard or I run out of potions, scrolls or wands I want the option to get more before facing the strong enemies.

Well, no more scrolls of blinking or potions of healing for me. Only had two blink scrolls and two healing potions to begin with though. Had some of the worst luck finding those that I've ever seen.

Got swarmed as soon as I entered and constricted by a monstrosity, which was really fucking stupid on my part but the death cob slowing me really caught me off guard. Tried to ignition everything to death, failed, blinked three times before the teleport went off at last. Barely managed to survive after that by chugging ambrosia and summoning shadow beasts as meat shields. Holy fuck that was close. Hope I can make it through the orb run without healing potions.

From what I hear of Poschengband, which I believe is a Moira derivative, you can grind for as long as you want before you face the big baddies.

That's one of the core tenets of the genre, having a limited array of resources to manage. You might like Poschengband though, there are shops you can restock at.

youll make it just don't go to quick

No joke, zot 1 is the most dangerous place in the game for the average adventurer. If you can clear zot 1 you should be set. Lure 1 at a time if possible and take it slow. Read your map scrolls and remember you don't have to kill everything, especially in zot

just died in a game where i went into zot with 2 !mut and ran into 3 OOFs on the first floor and ended up getting rndTele. i ended up getting teled near an orb lung on zot 5 and died. i checked the first few floors of a zig for !mut but didnt find any. were there any other options?

Yeah no kidding. There is absolutely ZERO chance I would have gotten into that situation if I didn't have to defend the only entrance. I worry a lot about not clearing though. Terrified of running into something awful when Im on the orb run and not prepared

maybe you could have gone to abyss and find one eventually

were you resting to full HP on zot 5 when you got tele'd to the lung?

No. Malmutate is one of the gayest things in the game and you are completely fucked if you dont have mutation potions.

could I have dropped lugonu and converted to zin and grinded piety in pan or hell?

you don't really need consumables in adom, maybe only a few potions of speed and arrows of slaying. but you will have lots of it in the late game, just by killing monsters. and it's a good feeling, especially if you have 40 potions of holy water along with many scrolls of ID. or many scrolls of power to teleport as much as you want

yes but it wouldn't have been any fun

I think the orb run is not too bad. The worst problems I have are generally in zot 5, I have had some really ugly times in zot 5. But I have never died on the orb run to my recollection. That is even though half the time I don't kill everything in zot.

but you may still grind monsters just because you are not sure if you can kill boss or you need test something or whatever. and it can be done fast in blue dragon caves. i remember i was grinding exp there and met my death from certain monster, which can be tremendously dangerous in some rare situation. grinding earlier may be done in wilderness if you really want this, if you have 25 lvl fast it can be quite useful

Summon butterflies, lightning spire and other blockers help.

Getting hit by 3 sucks, you might have been fucked either way but lightning spire makes 1v1 against oof pretty easy (It doesn't do damage but it blocks malmutate and fireball etc if you position it right)

The safest way to kill oof is with lightning spire and airstrike. They take extra damage from airstrike and struggle to kill lightning spires quickly (and can't target you through them). Meanwhile airstrike is smite targeting so can hit them just fine. Those are both common low level spells so anyone can pick them up.

I made the mistake of thinking I was done with the vault

never did this before it probably would lag too much like it does with fungaloids for me

As an example, Angband totally lets you grind. But the game is boring as fucking hell if you grind: it's literally 100 levels, no autoexplore, etc. And to a large degree, even if you have max stats, you're still going to have some trouble with lots of late game enemies.

>Well, no more scrolls of blinking

Pointless once you've reached Zot in a 3rune game, anyway. You're always under Orb status for the rest of the game, so all blinks are uncontrolled -- you're better off with a +Blink evocable or the Blink spell. (It's also a good idea to learn the "fogged blink" technique to get a semi-controlled blink)

roguelikes are fucking gay lmao

coming into rlg makes you gay

excuse me but this thread is 100% straight

I come into rlg every night
rlg is my bitch

RIP on Zot5. Got surrounded while out of mana and my blinks didnt turn out well.

You'll get 'er next time, bucko.

I doubt Ill play a mage again for a while. That was pretty agonizing.

Yeah playing mages in crawl is really painful. Though tbf it is quite painful in most rogues.

There are so many enemies, it makes playing carefully incredibly tedious.

Does editing the RC to use a custom player sprite invalidate me from the scoreboard?

Indeed. Seems like you should have been abusing the fuck out of channel at the end since you have 6*, which is more than you need.

>got surrounded while out of mana
why weren't you hugging the staircase for dear life whenever your mana was under 75%

Of course not.

no

The failure chance was too high to use in battle.

Sif Muna Divine Energy creating bad habits.

Why the fuck didn't you train invo while worshipping sif? Madman.

>when your thread is on page 10

Best early vault.

>having to press [ like a peasant instead of simply glancing at your second window
i don't understand how people can stand to live like this

I tried playing Angband once and everything was so tiny it physically hurt to look at. I can't imagine squeezing in all those windows.

I finished all of my baked beans, but there is still a few pounds of ham. I got some sandwich bread and cranberry sauce to have 'thanksgiving sandwiches' like user mentioned.

you should make split pea soup user
pretty sure it's mostly just peas and ham in a big pot
pretty tasty, and soup is classic poverty food
plus you can make a shitload at once and store it for later

Damn, I just looked up their nutrition information, and I probably will make some soup from split peas. I walked by them in the grocery store today and didn't pay them any mind. Thanks user.