/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

WTF is this Edition
Previous jej:
The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.
Whether or not a game belongs in /egg/ is a case by case matter, however games that would belong in /svgg/, space voxel games general, are automatically considered /egg/

WebM for physicians:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Algodoo
>Avorion
>Besiege
>Chode - Children of a Dead Earth
>Corneroids
>Crossout
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival
>Factorio
>From the Depths
>GearBlocks
>Garry's mod
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Infinifactory
>Intersteller Rift
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Machinecraft
>Opus Magnum
>REM
>Robocraft
>Robot Arena
>Scrap Mechanic
>SHENZEN I/O
>Space Engineers
>SpaceChem
>StarMaden b
>Stormworks
>Skywanderers
>TerraTech

Games that are definitely not /egg/:
>Minecraft
>The general that quite literally cannot be named.The Mexican scam artist one. With the shitposters. Fuck off.
>underageb& who won't use the search function and also won't read where are they posting

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames
fromthedepthsgame.com

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Warbros Serb rides in CLANGhalla eternal, shiny and chrome

Other urls found in this thread:

wtfrontier.com/
wtfrontier.com/?p=41570
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-43157923
store.steampowered.com/app/476530/Children_of_a_Dead_Earth/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is this the beam update? I don't remember those things being that powerful.
And I do remember them being unable to down missiles, is that still the case?

Stationeers has been updated: we now have an ore scanner, the Mars map (that you have to save edit to get into) now has an atmosphere, and you will starve to death long before you have hydroponics set up.
Also, ore generation seems a bit fucked.

New flavor of the week:
wtfrontier.com/
airdrop two threads ago

wtfrontier.com/?p=41570

Yeah, I know what the beam update contains. I just didn't expect it to be live already.

Shit, I just might buy this.

What are you favorite gameplay mods to pair with Angelbob? I`m trying them with SpaceX, because Seablock does that.

Maybe you should take a look at the update release history first.

is astroneer fun?
is this fun?
is THIS fun?

>I just didn't expect it to be live already.
I'm not sure, I only play campaign and have no beams yet.

What game?

>stationeers
It is now that finding ore isn't the most tedious shit ever.
>WTF
No, play starsector instead. WTF needs massive changes, including NPC gear management and multiple ship control, before it will be anything close to fun.

It's 2 devs, what the fuck did you expect?

WTF is pretty fucking fun to design ships in, especially in the campaign where you don't get everything from the start like in other eggs.

Thing is, it's also pretty unfinished.

Probably Arma 3, it's one of the CLANGiest non-engineering games I've ever seen

Still very beta, but it works for me. I really like the ship gameplay mechanics so far. And, of course, testing them afterwards.

alright lads I'm buying stationeers is there an /egg/ server or is anyone interesting in making/joining one?

Not really

>stationeer still crashes
I can't. Go on and post webums.

>starsector
How's the shipbuilding? If it contains enough autism I might try it.
>latest release: June 03, 2017
I hope the devs are not lazy.

Plug and play

It's stuck in letterbox. What do?

>How's the shipbuilding? If it contains enough autism I might try it.
There isn't any, just swapping guns and hullmods around. Literally the only area WTF beats it, and WTF's ship designer still needs serious work anyway.

That's not very encouraging.
>Literally the only area WTF beats it
Is there something else to please my engineering urge?

However, testing starsector soon.

And literally the only reason wtf can be an engineering game and starsector can't. There was a lengthy talk about this last thread.

wtf is engineering, but it's a shit game

Just grab the WTF airdrop a few threads back and see for yourself. It's plenty of fun once you get over the really awful spelling.

It's not a game yet.

So is GearBlocks. People come to the "engineering" general to play games about "engineering", even if the game is inferior to other games on other aspects.

I wonder why some people have a stick up their asses about WTF and how bad it supposedly is.
Like, just play your beloved Starsector, then.

Why can't i like both?

That's physically impossible.

I can't believe gearblocks is still alive in development

real shit?

God, I hate WTF's assassination missions.

>go approach a dinky little fighter i have to destroy in my huge-ass cargo hauler
>just fire rockets at him
>goddamn rocket aim assist doesn't work
>fighter turns out to be bomber, uses his missiles to turn me into mr hands
wtf

>No, play starsector instead.
Okay!

My starsector experience:
Start game, do the tutorials:
Basic and advandced fighting, different weapons, shields, flux, boosts, etc. Very nice.
Fleet stuff; Hmm, okay. Well, basically RTS stuff.
Start new game, answer some questions.
Oh new tutorial:
More RTS stuff, fly your fleet to ressources, collect them.
First battle, loot, lvl up.
Message received, fly to another system.
Reached planet, options are:
- check missions
- trade or hire crew
- buy or sell ships
- use the dockyard refit your ship
- repair at the dockyard
Wait... refit your ship... sounds like engineering!
Have a Wayfarer class ship, it has 6 weapon slots; Ballistic, hybrid and universal turret, all with some more or less wide firing arcs.
The ship has a "size" or capacity of 45 ordnance points.
You can install weapons in the 6 slots and add modules by just clicking "add Hull features & mods" .
"Modules":
- offensive
- defensive
- engines
- specials
Well...
okay...

Not so shabby space RTS game/10, but no engineering at all.

Reminder for crossout 'crafting is useless' fags that you can earn money off of crafting.

Chinese bots have it cornered. Only the Apollo gen makes money.

Actually, most things make money. Some things make money better than other things, though.
Apollo, tsunami and mammoth all make money for sure. Harvester was making money until about today, but it's still more cost effective to make a harvester instead of buying it, especially if you already have the resources.

Right now, if it sells for 2400 or more you can profit at least a little bit, if it sells for 2100 or more it's good if you want one for yourself but not for selling (until you get bored of it), if it sells for 1950 or more it's still good if you want it for yourself and have the resources.

Just checked the prices.

Items you can profit from:
Reaper
Tsunami
Hurricane
Mammoth
Apollo
Retcher
Manndrake (barely)
hammerfall (slightly)
draco
spark
fortune

Items you can make for yourself and it wouuld be better than buying it (but you could just make a better legendary, sell that and then buy this)
harvester

Items you can make yourself and it would be better than buying it IF you had materials you would have sold anyway. (But seriously make literally anything else)
Aegis

Physician or genius?

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-43157923
>In Freddie's case, he had put one of the 3mm diameter magnetic balls inside his mouth and the other outside but accidentally swallowed it.
>Hours later, he swallowed another two and began experiencing stomach pains.

>no engineering at all.
that was stated multiple times user, you're just being willfully ignorant

>that was stated multiple times user, you're just being willfully ignorant
Of course it was stated multiple times. But that was not my point.

>But that was not my point.
so what was it fuckboi? It has no engineering? Because we've been over it.

stationeers is a miserable experience so far

>so what was it fuckboi?
Wew. Here have this (You) retard. Now think about what my point was.

>(You)
(you)

>swallowed another two
What a moron.

Stationeers is pretty fun and autistic already, but they release stuff regularly so it makes sense to wait a few more patches to get into it.
I could update the airdrop if there's enough interest, but I don't want /egg/ to get banned

where the FUCK is gold

Wasn't there some video about how this alters your color perception for months?

gib egg!

it feel like there's alway someone to badmouth it like a devout.
the flaw of wtf is that it wasn't made in a small game and upgraded features by features, so it's frustrating when two good features are missing tidbit in between.

That pict should be called "playing factorio"

one thing that irritates me about WTF is what every other space game does: ships have magical auto-dampening and final speed. How would a ship in space have a top speed? It makes no sense in any universe.

>stop liking what I don't like, like what I like, you're not allowed to have opinions or criticisms

fuck it actually worked a little
i see a weak red on the side of my screen

I mean, auto-dampening isn't "magical" per se, but it would be nice if you could turn it off.
Top speed exists solely for balance reasons, I suppose.

I ain't clickin' that shit

You have to be aware that without rules like that it would be almost impossible to have a ship to ship battle at visual range.

Just try playing CHODE, it is "the most realistic space combat simulator".
store.steampowered.com/app/476530/Children_of_a_Dead_Earth/
it still cheat but you'll have to be an engineer with experiences to see it or explain it.
Realistically CHODE battle would be fought by AIs and there would probably be only a few minmaxed design in use.

Does nothing for me

The real problem with the simulation imo, is that you can't explore the meta with missile and drone swarms fully because of game slowdown and crashing. The meta would probably be different if you just had mother ships that spam drones that launch missile swarms or something.

Speaking of which game?
CHODE do allow a tons of missiles and drones. But without an AI or incredible command interface you can't control large number of entity with any finesse to have some incredible battle strategy like in "that anime".
The ability to stop time in battle help but it's still the only low point in the realism. You would need both side being played with players or AI to also have realistic strategy (and not just exploit the AI flaws).

For WTF, the day is still young. Drone are planned, missiles are numerous enough, someday it will be debugged. I think more people will be mad that the developer do no intend to push toward "fleet battle" outside of the mothership-drone relationship or having allies.

>When one of the two WTF devs who should be working on the "game" and a Starsector dev who should be working on the game but doesn't really belong here in the first place are both in the thread at the same time.
War of the Shills.

>Shills
I refuse to believe anyone here has paid for either

Are you implying devs are interested in the hot opinion of some anime faggots? I wish.

It's a /v/ fantasy that indie devs shitpost with their game to raise awareness, typically this is supposed to be a joke but some people can't differentiate between fiction and reality.

>make the mistake of playing cuckout
>lets play this wot mode because I didn't suffer enough yesterday
>If I don't kill everyone my team just collapses
>car door on map pins me and I take more damage than I need to, can't tank three shitters at once
>die after killing two of them and crippling the third
>last teammate standing drives in the straight line past him, exposing his cherry red ass for a 76mm pozzing
>then keeps driving
>into a fucking wall
>sits there
>dies

I'd rather have fucking bots than these cykablat ""humans""

>typically
I'm pretty damn sure it's the opposite now.

shut the fuck up man I was having a good hour without thinking about my own mortality and the destruction of online communities

In WTF I just captured and researched a ship containing something called a "TOBI Device". What is that?

it summons a small robot with machine guns in its butt to wreak havok on your enemies

Improves handling for extra energy cost. Activate it and read the buff tooltip that appears.

Do I have to link it to my bridge first? I can't seem to find it in the systems list.

Yes, it's a toggle

drones are next update

uh any sane dev knows that people playing it is tons of advertisement

People posting screenshots, free advertisements

Hell I'd say the smart indie devs are the ones posting download links to their own games

reddit spacing aside the worst place to advertise your shitty indie game is here where 90% of the people don't have friends and don't socialize anywhere else. Go to /reddit/ or whatever where you're given a medal if you can wipe your ass without smearing shit all over your hand, and a participation award if you do.

>where 90% of the people don't have friends and don't socialize anywhere else
Maybe in the past, user. These days it's 4chad.

I'd wager there's more people lurking right now in this thread than there are posting, desu. Increase the population and all you do is increase the numbers of the subsets. The loners don't go away they become more numerous. Either way /leddit/ is a lot more conducive to indie posting. Hell, imgur might get you farther if you watermark your shit to hell and back.

>all of Veeky Forums is Veeky Forums
>all of Veeky Forums is /svgg/
my lad what are you attempting to show here?

this

a few threads back some user argued that piracy hurts indie games. I buy a LOT of games and most of them I wouldn't even bother if not for a pirated copy I could try first. Most people that download airdrops talk and post about it, and would never even play them otherwise, specially considering how overpriced games are. Sharing is caring.

never forget that minecraft started here
reddit is sorted by popularity, its not the same
also they'll ban you if you tried to do "airdrops" there

>never forget that minecraft started here
>2009 Veeky Forums =/= 2018 4chink
Also I think we have a bit of miscommunication here. I meant this particular general (here) isn't a good place for shilling, not all of 4chink. /v/ is the best place for that shit. Particularly the aggy daggy thread general thing that somehow still exists there. Last time I checked piracy generals pop up on /reddit/ from time to time. Or pages? What are they called? sub-pages?

Wow. That's amazing. I just wish gear blocks had a better editor than walking around. Also the ability to build stuff at adjustable angles.

I'm certainly the user you are talking about.
I'm actually very cool with piracy to test a game, however I know players, many pirate everything they like with the flimsy justification that they are only a minority and making advertizing, that those game are overpriced and shouldn't cost that much, that otherwise they would never bought the game they'll play for hours or that they don't have the money (because they want the latest P2W/iphone they can't pirates)...etc

I just like reminding people that niche Early Access game are the least likely to be like EA Pay2Gamble money scheme and actually need the money or they'll need to take a second jobs to live.

Shit, this post became far too long and preachy.

Yea early access are scams by incompetent devs that will never become a complete game

reminder WTF is not /egg/

>or they'll need to take a second jobs to live.
>boohoo I need to shill an unfinished product to feed my kids and I have to work a gorillion jobs
wew. Professional companies shouldn't release products unless they're finished and feature complete. Indie devs that have no idea what the game will look like when finished release it for 15-30 bucks on early access and either break promises and drop critical features people bought the game for in the first place, delay for a decade and/or go radio silent. My favorite episode is when its online only with no player run servers so when it stops being indev the game is dead forever.

Pirating a game because its incomplete is entirely acceptable, especially if its from a literal who dev promising the world and all the stars if you just give them a little bit more time to finish their magnum opus first game.

Its mildly entertaining as a FOTM but will be quickly forgotten. If WTF had starsector's everything but had its current damage model and crew simulation and the AI wasn't so amazingly fucking retarded it would be the only game I play for the rest of my life. Too bad the dev cannot into AI or multiple ships under your command.

WTF is this post

neither is cuckout, but I'll take WTF posting over that any thread

I get it, but there is literally zero chance of a digital asset not being redistributed over the internet, so take advantage of that. Also second jobs to finance a business is common practice in any area if you don't have investors, I doubt that "illegal downloads" have any impact on sales. If the game is good, it will sell regardless.

Also when a game is obscure and expensive and doesn't even have a torrent somewhere, it's a big red flag.

>he is still mad

>neither is cuckout
why not? Plenty of fine tuning of builds for ideal skullfucking. Its not because you don't like it, is it?