/mtgg/ Magic the Gathering General #2

Anyone in Arena beta?

well I think its a good game

hearthstone can suck it, Magic's art is godlike

some of its pretty sweet

bump

some of its pretty based

I mean look at this thing, its even drinking blue champagne!

No

404'd! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm in this bitch, playing merfolk while i grind wildcards to make something else.
I just recently started tracking my W/L
prior to this, it felt like the meta was mostly dinos, with rare showings from U/B pirate fliers, GB value decks, merfolk, and uwx control with fucking sanguine sacrament

Care to export and share your galterfolk deck?

It's ok

What are some tips to building a good deck, so far best I've got is all Flying or all Gaining Life.

7 Island (RIX) 193
8 Forest (RIX) 196
4 Kumena's Speaker (XLN) 196
1 Merfolk Branchwalker (XLN) 197
4 Merfolk Mistbinder (RIX) 164
4 Kumena, Tyrant of Orazca (RIX) 162
4 Deeproot Elite (RIX) 127
4 Unclaimed Territory (XLN) 258
3 Jungleborn Pioneer (RIX) 137
4 Silvergill Adept (RIX) 53
3 Woodland Stream (RIX) 191
4 Jade Bearer (RIX) 134
4 Dive Down (XLN) 53
2 Ghalta, Primal Hunger (RIX) 130
2 Jadelight Ranger (RIX) 136
2 Perilous Voyage (XLN) 67

interesting divergences from the norm include 2 ghalta, 4 dive down, and 2 voyage for interaction. The rest is basic good merfolk cards with the exception of maybe the jadelight rangers

centralize your wildcards around one deck, picking an archetype you enjoy.
I like disruptive aggro, so I picked merfolk.
The tribal archetypes are all pretty decent, with dinosaurs being a particularly strong proactive tribe, although you can win with any of them.
the tribes are also good because they focus on fewer rares and some synergetic uncommons, which makes them cheaper than the goodstuff decks like GB midrange that use a lot of rares and mythics.

Nice, thanks will give it a try out.

as for the decks you already have, I see a lot of U/B fliers with favorable winds and kitesail freebooter and all of the 2/1 flying pirate shitters.
the deck gets ok interaction between duress and the pirate counterspell so that's ok.
As for lifegain, that's kind of the vampire gameplan and I've seen a couple of grindy lists that shit out a lot of tokens with mavren fein and then just win with sanctum seeker

Ok, so basically stay more with the meta, and pick better cards for the deck?

Like I know the standard proportions of lands to creatures to spells ect but when it comes to choosing cards which synegise I really fall down at.

Heres my Flying deck;

2 Spire Winder (RIX) 57
18 Island (RIX) 193
2 Kitesail Corsair (RIX) 41
2 Storm Fleet Aerialist (XLN) 83
2 Herald of Secret Streams (XLN) 59
3 Air Elemental (XLN) 45
2 Duskborne Skymarcher (XLN) 9
10 Plains (RIX) 192
2 Exultant Skymarcher (RIX) 7
1 Kinjalli's Sunwing (XLN) 19
1 Siren Stormtamer (XLN) 79
2 Siren Lookout (XLN) 78
2 One With the Wind (XLN) 64
4 Favorable Winds (XLN) 56
3 Skyblade of the Legion (XLN) 37
2 Legion's Judgment (XLN) 21
2 Luminous Bonds (RIX) 12
2 Vampire's Zeal (XLN) 43
2 Rallying Roar (XLN) 30

and my Vampire deck;

2 Duskborne Skymarcher (XLN) 9
13 Plains (RIX) 192
2 Bishop's Soldier (XLN) 6
2 Martyr of Dusk (RIX) 14
2 Exultant Skymarcher (RIX) 7
2 Inspiring Cleric (XLN) 16
2 Paladin of the Bloodstained (XLN) 25
2 Sanguine Glorifier (RIX) 20
2 Vicious Conquistador (XLN) 128
11 Swamp (RIX) 194
2 Skymarch Bloodletter (XLN) 124
2 Bishop of the Bloodstained (XLN) 91
2 Anointed Deacon (XLN) 89
1 Sanctum Seeker (XLN) 120
1 Bloodcrazed Paladin (XLN) 93
1 Moment of Triumph (RIX) 15
1 Ritual of Rejuvenation (XLN) 32
1 Settle the Wreckage (XLN) 34
1 Sanguine Sacrament (XLN) 33
1 Dark Nourishment (XLN) 97
2 Gruesome Fate (RIX) 75
1 Spreading Rot (XLN) 125
1 Ashes of the Abhorrent (XLN) 2
1 Pious Interdiction (XLN) 26
1 Legion's Landing (XLN) 22
1 Vraska's Contempt (XLN) 129

Anything obvious you can see I'm doing wrong?

hey could you guys like not let this die so that magic posters stay out of my hearthstone general?

for the first;
having 4+ drops might be a bit too clunky because u/w fliers is a tempo deck
herald doesn't go in your deck because the body is bad and you already have evasion
having 2 white sources on 3 seems inconsistent so skymarcher might be a cut.
one with the wind is very redundant
overall lower your curve because favorable winds gets better the more small guys you have, and also pack some more disruption, like lookout's dispersal and/or bounce spells. Also ixalan's binding is usually strictly better than legion's judgement. Also curious obsession is really strong here.
I'll look at the vampire deck in a bit. Bear with me on that one though, I'm mostly experienced in tempo decks

Just trying out your deck now, used up all my wildcards i've saved up and now missing two Jadelight Rangers.
I've replaced them with two Siren Lookouts. Do you think thats ok?

Thread would have died long ago had I not shitposted, LONG LIVE SHITPOSTING!

people don't shitpost in the hearthstone thread because they love mtg and crave an outlet.
they shitpost because it's an active general and that's what people do here.

The merfolk creature type is better to replace than the explore effect. merfolk branchwalker is a bit better cause it's also a merfolk but common merfolk like a 4th jungleborn pioneer or the 3 drop that taps down a creature are also fine.

Right, so I've played all the Duels of the Planeswalkers but I guess I'm still a noob.

What are drops?
What is a tempo deck?
What do you mean by
>body is bad and evasion?
Lower your curve, do you mean less variety?

Sorry for all the questions I just feel Im fundamentally missing something when building a deck because I never get anywhere with the ones I do, although I feel I make a little progress each time.

drop refers to mana cost. I mean you have too many creatures that cost 4 or more.
tempo decks are a little like aggro in that they race to hit the face, but they sacrifice some speed for disruptive elements.
The appeal to a flying deck is that you get to ignore most of your opponent's plays because your creatures are difficult to block, and focus on hitting your opponent each turn while countering, bouncing, or removing the stuff that will kill you first.
By lower your curve, I mean focus on cheaper creatures, although it is better to have as many 4-ofs of your strongest cards as possible so your deck is more consistent.
when I say the body is bad I mean that the stats on the herald are too low for its cost, and evasion refers to the flyers, which can't be blocked except by other flyers, which are not played very often in arena.

Ok, that all makes sense, thanks for clearing all that up! Really helpful.

If you wanna drop your Arena name I'd be happy to add you when they get the friends list working, sound like a good opponent.